PIPES & PLUMBERS

Mama Mia!
It's time for another SUPER MARIO RPG thread.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/6HHbLh7c
akey.ca/gbrp/index.php
pastebin.com/tqZPyfdz
pastebin.com/8v8cK2BX
mariowiki.com/Main_Page
i.imgur.com/FVgZQ43.jpg
discord.gg/XMVdtX
mariowiki.com/Rudy_the_Clown
mariowiki.com/Golden_Diva
mariowiki.com/Terrormisu
mariowiki.com/Antasma
mariowiki.com/Fire_and_Thunder_Gods
mariowiki.com/Tiki_Tong
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TNIGww-irrwywHgSCZPgCw_AT9Q5fmwAmyF2_8T0dBk/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

AW FUCK YES

I always wanted to play this, anyone have a roll20 game going?

What should the stats for a kong look like?

Hard to say, since Kongs come in all shapes and sizes.

>MFW delving into Mario lore
How deep does this rabbit hole go?

The deeper you go, the more hilarious and insane things are going to get.

Actually what even qualifies for religion in Mario?

Is Rosalina a goddess? What about those seven stars from Paper Mario?

>not using Super Mario Land for setting material

Here's The build that we made in my game for Kong characters...

>KONG FEATURES
>Stats: +1 Heart, +1 Power, -1 Speed
>Abilities: Strong Toss - Kongs use their Power stat instead of their Speed when making a ranged attack with a thrown weapon.
>(ex. Kongs make a Power roll when they throw a barrel, hammer, boomerang, etc. The Kong still uses their Smarts score for magic wands, and their Speed score for bows)

Nice. Thanks

clearly we make several types of Kong to cover all the variables

Way ahead of you.
My entire campaign takes place in Sarasaland.

That's not very efficient.

SeeThese are the basic Kong traits for my game.

When building a character your Stats, Traits, Perks, & Specials will serve to further differentiate you from other kongs.

I'm trying, can't be fucked to list domains

Good Deities:
-Rosalina: Mother of the stars and creation, the main religion of the Mushroom Kingdom, Sarasaland, and Diamond City. It's believed much of the royalty in the Mushroom World, such as the royal families of the Mushroom Kingdom and Sarasaland can trace their lineage to her

-The Star Spirits: Seven lesser deities serving under Rosalina, each have different respective domains in which different denizens of the Mushroom world pay homage to based on their profession.

Neutral Deities:
-Culex - Eldritch being from a different dimension, simply watches mortals. Cults vary in their views to him.

-Tribal gods that the kongs and yoshis worship

Evil Deities:
-King Wart: Lord of nightmares and torment. Mortals often fall to this realm when they have nightmares. Commonly worshipped by Shy Guys

-King Boo: Lord of Death, most commonly worshipped god of the Koopa Kingdom

-Smithy: Lord of war and destruction(Think kind friendly Khorne). It was said that it was he who first taught Toad-kind how to create weapons, bringing war and murder to the world.

Anymore? This could be splatbook material is it gets fleshed out enough.

I was considering adding Fawful to this but I then I thought he'd work better as just an evil sorcerer and possible BBEG for a campaign.

Racial stats for Beanish people?

>When the setting is kid friendly but every girl makes your dick diamonds

I've never GM'd before but this is amazing and I want to do it. How do I start?

You can start by reading the rules here...

No no, I read the rules, that's why I said this is amazing. I meant what's next?

Shadow Queen is basically a god.

I forget the specific stats, but the Beanish racial allowed them to tell a joke in order to stun an enemy or get a small buff.

Posting resources...

>Rules 1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG
>Additional Races
pastebin.com/6HHbLh7c
>Campain RP Archive
akey.ca/gbrp/index.php
>Gameplay Test Log 1
pastebin.com/tqZPyfdz
>Gameplay Test Log 2
pastebin.com/8v8cK2BX
>Super Mario Wiki
mariowiki.com/Main_Page

It should be noted that the gameplay testing a campaign are using an older rule set.

They are still good reads though. I eapecially enjoyed the bobsled race.

Posting character sheets!

Quick Character Creation & Combat Guides

Don't think you can hide that from me

Is there something like a Bestiary or Monster Manual that contains stats for all the enemies the PCs could encounter?

How about item prices?

Is the GM supposed to make all this up by himself?

Seconded, without this the ruleset seems kind of useless.

Well made map that works well with the campaign setting. Credit to Blazbaros on Deviantart

Larger image

i.imgur.com/FVgZQ43.jpg

Or you could use the alternative, fight amongst yourselves which one you want to be canon.

IMO the games would work best in a time period where Mario married Peach and became king of the Mushroom Kingdon and Luigi married Daisy and became king of Sarasaland.

Adventurers like the PCs would only be needed in a time where the overpowered demigods that are Mario and Luigi are too distracted by kingly duties to go and fix problems.

Unfortunately those details are not included in the ruleset.

Here's a partial list of beasties that someone else made.

Either that or an alternate universe where they never left Brooklyn. Or they somehow go missing.

Any stats for vehicles ala Mario Kart?

>Is there something like a Bestiary or Monster Manual that contains stats for all the enemies the PCs could encounter?
No, mostly for two reasons.
>There's a LOT you can encounter out there.
>The game subscribes to the "just wing it" school of GMing.

Not specifically, no. Vehicle transport doesn't come up very often.

>Super Mario game
>rules are needlessly complex and there are a billion stats when the games were so straight forward and simple
Way to fuck up.

>6 stats, plus HP/FP
>Dicepool system where you just check for successes
>Combat allows for just as much dynamic action as any of the RPGs
>Minimal frontloading allows players and GMs to make up their own stuff
I'm not quite sure I follow what you're complaining about.

What about Kong City and that brunette from the first DK (Paulina?)?

And Rosalina isn't daughter of Peach and Luigi that came from the future?

New Donk City (and Mayor Pauline, which is probably the closest civil equivalent to a princess now that I think about it) is a relatively recent development. That said, there's no reason you can't run a story there.

Man I wish that I knew about this a few years ago. I made a three person Paper Mario inspired tabletop game but never really got to finishing it. There were 9 playable classes, a cozy post apocalyptic setting and light platforming mechanics.

Maybe I'll find that old word file and shill it once it's done, but for now I need to check this game out.

retard detected

We have a Discord, try asking there discord.gg/XMVdtX

Please tell me that you're trolling...and not retarded.

What about 'em?

>light platforming mechanics.

I'm intrigued. Please share.

Didn't think anyone would bite

Anyway in the game I was working on the Athletic stat of a character doubled as the Jumping stat, and gameplay worked like a platformer/RPG hybrid i.e. getting from the start of a level to the goal with your partner.
There would be eight sections from the hub town to the goal, littered with enemies, pitfalls, and events. It was pretty rudimentary, as easy as a pass/fail roll to beat a pit, but it was something. In the right situation you could even springboard off enemies for a boost to your jump roll and knock bad dudes into the abyss.

Humans, Yoshis and Toads were the three Jumper class guys, and they could also jump on foes instead of trying to roll their middling to subpar attack stats during battles if they wanted in exchange for doing slightly less damage and being screwed with spiky topped enemies.

Interesting. I may adopt this for my campaign.

I've been wondering how to introduce traps into gameplay. Why do that why I can can give players "platforming challenges" that have the same consequences as triggering a trap.

Well, I think there are the characters from the Wario games to take into account.

mariowiki.com/Rudy_the_Clown

mariowiki.com/Golden_Diva

mariowiki.com/Terrormisu

I'm kind of wondering why you included Wart, but then again, I like the idea of him as a dream demon. And yeah, leave Fawful where he is.

Oh, and some others:

mariowiki.com/Antasma

mariowiki.com/Fire_and_Thunder_Gods

mariowiki.com/Tiki_Tong

Fawful is just a mastermind. A mastermind with a strange charisma to him, but a mortal mastermind nonetheless. He was trained by the best, after all.

>bigger
>stronger
>faster too

Coconut gun
>fires in spurts
>if it hits you, it's gonna hurt

Okay so which games would you consider canon happening prior to the PCs adventure?

I'm going to make a fairly long list, but I feel this is the most appropriate. No particular order.

>Donkey Kong
>Donkey Kong Jr.
>Donkey Kong 3
>Mario Bros.
>Super Mario Bros.
>Super Mario Bros. the Lost Levels
>Super Mario Bros 2
>Super Mario Bros 3
>Super Mario Land
>Super Mario Land 2
>Super Mario Land 3(Alternatively Warioland 1)
>Warioland 2
>Warioland 3
>Warioland 4
>WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
>Super Mario World
>Super Mario World 2(Yoshi's Island)
>Donkey Kong Country
>Donkey Kong Country 2
>Donkey Kong Country 3
>Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
>Super Mario 64
>Donkey Kong 64
>Mario Tennis(Literally only so Waluigi can be canon, I would include him as a pirate king)
>Yoshi's Island
>Paper Mario
>Wario World
>Super Mario Sunshine
>Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
>Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
>Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
>Super Mario Galaxy
>Super Mario Galaxy 2
>Donkey Kong Country Returns
>Warioland Shake It!
>Bowser's Inside Story
>Mario and Luigi Dream Team
>Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze
>Yoshi's Woolly World(Fuck you I liked it)
>Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World

Seriously debating if Paper Jam should be included because that would split the Paper and main timeline and I kind of want them all to happen in the same timeline. This is regardless of game quality.

So way in hell is anything NSMB canon, which includes 3D land/world.

Fuck any Paper Mario after Thousand Year Door.

Including only the first Warioware game because the rest are inconsequential and I love the idea of Wario being a game development tycoon in my setting.

Odyssey will probably be canon, but it's not out yet.

I want to develop a system for vehicles, so maybe the Mario Kart games should be canon.

If there's anything that would fit that I'm missing, let me know.

>Pirate King Waluigi
Not if she has anything to say about it.

Can't forget Luigi's Mansion.

Also Punch-Out could work as Earth is a parallel dimension to the Mushroom World. As could Mario vs. Donkey Kong now that Odyssey is giving Pauline a bigger role in the lore.

Warring pirate factions would spice up the setting.

Oh and let's not forget, is Legend of the Seven Stars is canon(As it should be), then this guy is also thrown into the mix.

Also Captain Skull from Thousand Year Door.

That's a pretty good list other than Luigi's Mansion 1 & 2

I'd also include Inside Story (Because why not, eh?) and Dream Team.
Oh! And Wario: Master of Disguise.

If we want to give Wario a lucrative business, we could give him Warioware: DIY.

Wait no, Captain Skull was from Wario World, I was thinking of Cortez the pirate king.

>Luigi's Mansion
>Mario and Luigi, Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team

FUCK, I knew I was forgetting something.

I never played those Wario games though, they good?

Master of Disguise is generally considered one of Wario's weakest games.

Alright, pirates so far:

Kaptain K. Rool
Captain Syrup
Shake King
Jonathan Jones
Captain Goomba
Cortez
Fredrik

DIY is amazing and super versatile, kinda like a Mario Paint for the DS

There are some naysayers, but I actually liked it a lot.

It was a Metroidvania style Warioland game with different transformations used to progress to new areas. I guess it kinda suffered from not knowing where to go a lot, but hey, I thought it was cool.

Haven't the DKCR games so far pretty much cemented that K Rool is dead? Or at least missing? And he went back to being a king in DK64

Nope! He's played dead so often that I'm not taking anything for granted.

C'mon, let the guy have his fun. He can be in two places at once!

I personally position Captain Maple Syrup as a pirate queen, with everyone else either competing for a separate king title or yet to knock her off the throne. I mean, when you can challenge Wario and get away with it (even pull one over on him), you've got some serious cred.

K. Rool is unaccounted for, but there are still Kritters all over the place.

I kinda like him just up and vanishing off to become a pirate

In the German Club Nintendo comics, he changed disguises so much because he suffered from amnesia after his first fight and rebuilt his identity from scratch. Maybe he abandoned his throne to sail the high seas under a new name.

I'm no expert in Mario, but I would make combat as either Jump, Punch, Weapon or Magic. Maybe Roll for a DK expansion.

So Hammer (Weapon) is good against spiky shells, Jumper is good against enemies that use a shield against front attacks and so on... Trying to make something simple, looking at the RPG from SNES, N64 and so on.

Attacking is already broadly separated into melee, ranged and magic. To maintain the dynamic action you get from the RPGs, there are also three forms of active defense you can take (guard/dodge/counter). Jump/Punch/Weapon are just 2-3 variants on melee attacks, and I'm sure you can find inventive ways of getting around spikes.

You don't really need 'rules' to do that though, just common sense and good description.
Jump-Man: I'ma jump on that goomba!
GM: You notice that the goomba is wearing a nasty looking and rusted spiked helmet. You feel like you could get tetanus just looking at it, and you wonder what would happen if you landed on it. You still want to?
Jump-Man: Nah, guess not, I'll run up and punch him in the face then!

Granted, your players need common sense, and I've met quite a few people in this hobby who have an extreme deficit of it.

Any stats for Piantas?

Here's what these folks made.

pastebin.com/6HHbLh7c

>Pianta
>+1 Power, +1 Heart, -1 Speed
>Pianta Chuck - +1 towards all throw-related tests

Here

A campaign where Mario is Missing?

Sounds educational.

Or how about a game where you play happy citizens of the Mario-Verse, and suddenly a time-wave hits, and after the dist settles, apparently the difference is that there's no Mario, and the party are the only people who remember the old timeline.

Sounds edgy.

I like it

Ran a campaign where the Mario Bros and Peach along with most of the named good guys went off to a Karting event and just never came back. Bowser stuck around and took over a chunk of land but he and his cronies disappeared a week later. With no big names around everyone kinda settled for a hundred years or so until a Neo Koopa Army showed up raiding towns and the PCs went hunting for the source.

Turns out that some bored Koopalings sent out some forces just to pass the time. When Bowser took over a century ago, he found it all boring and let Jr. take the reins. A week into it and Jr. managed to piss off every neighboring country and everything went pear shaped. Bowser and his son retreated with a bunch of forces into the lava infested badlands and lived out a cushy retirement. ...Until Ludwig and Iggy sent out some troops to raid towns for instrument parts/cool stuff to pass the time. This set the PCs to find a frail old Magikoopa in flame colored robes named Bowser and his beefy son Junior. They get pissy and start a fight, knock out Senior and accidentally send a Mega Mushroomed Junior on the warpath to the hub town.
The final boss is a chase scene lobbing projectiles at the unflinching Junior as he stomps over the path they took to his house and a Godzilla style raid by him on the PC's hubtown where they have to borrow some Clown Cars and get to his eye level just to finish the fight.

God that was a fun one.

My Mario RPG campaign is well under way.

My players and I are having a blast!

Cheers!

>Toadette
>Dixie Kong
>Wrinkly Kong
>Bombette

Oh yeah, that's the stuff!
Keep 'am coming!

Got that right it does

How canon would you consider characters from NBA Street volume 3 or other games where Mario is an unlockable character? For example, would you allow someone to use LeBron James as a character?

You and the rest of your party come upon a recently crashed airship adorned with Bowser's insignia while exploring a country outside both The Mushroom Kingdom and Koopa controled land. The crew is under attack from local wildlife and, whether or not you help them, they explain they are just a non-combat expeditionary unit.

What would you do?

Seriously. I've run into this issue.

Mario is a referee in Punch out.
Can I play as a King Hippo?
White mage & black mage (and cactuar & moogle) are in a Mario sports game?
Can you play as a Final Fantasy creature?
What about Mario & Sonic at the Olympics?
Can you play as a Sonic character?

My policy is this: if you present a good enough argument for the inclusion of the character and a well thought out backstory...sure, why not?

Please give another invite link.
My God, I've been wanting to play this for months since I found it.

Oh shit, nice!
I didn't know there were character sheets for this.

Yeah. I found an older version of the character sheets several threads back. Then The cool dude that first made them editted them to reflect current game rules.

>con't.

I'm not sweating the in-game continuity too much. Im just picking and choosing things that I like from whatever Mario game suits me.

In the end my campaign is its' own continuity anyway.

This a rules light system. It also lends itself well to a game with a light hearted tone.
Fun is really what matters most.

What will a Mario wargame be like?

>shy guys are op
>why haven't they buffed koopa troopas in the latest update?
>tfw no one plays ba-bombs
>etc

LeBron James
>Concept:
The L-Train
>Race:
Human
6 Heart (+2 pool, +1 race), 4 Power (+1 pool), 3 Smarts, 3 Coolness, 3 Toughness, 4 Speed (+1 pool), 3 HP, 4 FP (+1 pool)
>Hometown:
Akron, Ohio
>Perk 1
Miracle Legs: LeBron ignores debuffs while dunking.
>Perk 2
Star Assist: LeBron can spend his turn helping another player, giving them +1 to their rolls. LeBron receives the same penalties that the other player receives if they fail their roll, but he's a nice enough guy to let them take all of the glory if they succeed.

16 starting

>Character Fluff:
After a rough losing streak in basketball, LeBron takes the subway to New York to take a vacation and finds himself sidelined into the Mushroom Kingdom. He's unsure of how he got there or how he can get home, but nostalgic memories of playing video games as a child make him comfortable in this strange new land.

How does this sound?

Would he be able to learn the most forbidden of techniques?

What, you mean Shaq Fu?

Having the opportunity to learn and use any verbotenjam should be left to the GM's discretion, but personally I don't think LeBron has it in him. He's too pure.

Holy shit I've been waiting for a Mario RPG thread on Veeky Forums for a million years.

I've been working on some revisions to this system after discovering it on 1d4chan about a year ago. Can you fa/tg/uys tell me what you think?

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TNIGww-irrwywHgSCZPgCw_AT9Q5fmwAmyF2_8T0dBk/edit#gid=0

Big things include a HUGE list of races that I worked out myself, a natural evasion stat, full list of badges, some items and bare-bones crafting rules. Currently working out a bestiary using the Mario Wiki.

Cool

Looking good so far...

1.) Fix your HP (Heart +Toughness)
2.) Fix your FP (Heart + Coolness)
3.) Spend your Purchase Points on your gear, traits, & items.
4.) Select a Special power

LeBron is almost ready to slam dunk into the pipes of the Mushroom Kingdom!