Warhammer 40k General (40kg)

The most playtested edition to date Edition

>FAQ:
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/

>FW FAQ
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/09/forge-world-faq-july9gw-homepage-post-4/

>Designer's Commentary (FAQ 0.1)
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:

>Everything 8th edition in pdf(and epub), SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>other MEGAs
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA

>WIP Math-hammer doc (chart user doing god's work)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QQjJhsa8sxU&list=PLliZQodsai-ic8wXh9zeEnl4jktbdViGu
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing
exhentai.org/g/1041914/efa0664b3b/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want to get into this game, but I know next to nothing about it. Are those MEGA links a good place to start? How necessary are the sets (with the miniatures and such)?
Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to ask.

40k 101:

you have your miniatures that you put together and paint

you put them on a table with fake terrain and stuff

you use rules in the rulebook and army indexes (which give your dudes specific rules and shit) to fight other armies of painted plastic dudes on fake terrain

you come up with stories based around these battles, and/or play competitively, and/or roll dice for shits and giggles

I imagined it was pretty much like most other tabletop RPGs, but how complicated are the rules (and the plot)? Looking at the files in the first mega link there makes me worried I'll have to spend 5 years reading before I can play.

Hows that backlog looking?

Ive got over 350 models to paint

>you come up with stories based around these battles
my group doesnt do this and ruins it for me

Not an RPG. It's a wargame. At least, that's what we talk about in this thread.

There ARE 40k RPGs, and there is a special thread for that that would be better for those questions

In general 40k looks more complicated than it is, its a very simple game thats better learned doing than reading.

Just read the codices and pick an army based on how cool it looks to you, Shadow War Armageddon uses another rules set but its a skirmish game that requires very few minis so you might want to start there to see if you like wargames or painting minis.

Same. Sad thing is deep down I know I'll never finish them all and yet I keep buying more stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=QQjJhsa8sxU&list=PLliZQodsai-ic8wXh9zeEnl4jktbdViGu

Ah, I see. Good to know. I'll try to get my hands dirty like suggests, then. It still seems like a pretty cool game.

We all do.

Try 1d4chan and just float around the articles. Then read the corresponding Lexicanum wiki.

The MEGAs have novels and rules and other stuff like that.

It's a mini wargame you doofus, they're incredibly important.

Now this could backfire if you encounter some turbo autist, but scope out your local (F)LGS.

Will watch, thanks.

Yeah, I thought it was more of a classic D&D-like RPG, so I was approaching it wrong. I'll take a look at the material in the MEGAs, see what I can understand, then maybe I'll come back in a future thread once I actually understand at least a little bit.

Been selling the stuff I know ill never pick up again

THREADLY REMINDER

>trying to put together a parts list for some sword and board vanguard veteran knights
>all the power swords are left handed
>all the shields are left handed
>mfw

My backlog has actually never been that large, but it's steadily growing even though I don't buy that much.

5 HQs/single models, soon to be 6 with Primaris
25 infantry, soon to be 35 with Primaris
5 large infantry
1 small tank
1 large tank

How many Start Collecring! Tempestus do I need for a 2k army ?
5-6 is enough ?

What else are you running?

I love valkerie bullgryns and knights for scion heavies.

You might end up with too many Tauroxes/Commissars?

If you want RPG's you should check out the general threads for the RPG's, /40rpg/. There are several different games that put you in the shoes of heretics, deathwatch marines, a rogue trader, and then some random mooks. They're a ton of fun.

Way to many commissars, but it's nice to have a lot of Tauroxs and the deal for the start collecting box is better than buying squads seperate anyway.

Gee, Bill! What are you gonna do with all those commissars?

Who's the best spambot?

what are good loadouts for chimeras?

Is the vanilla taurox fine? how hard is it to set up a taurox model to be swappable between the taurox and prime?

Glaive/Blast Pistol or Glaive/Agonizer on a Succubus?

NARRATIVE PLAY IS THE OBJECTIVE BEST WAY TO PLAY

WHY ELSE WOULD YOU PAINT MODELS AND RELIGIOUSLY STUDY THE LORE IF YOU DONT WANT TO PLAY OUT YOUR OWN BATTLES WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND BUILD YOUR OWN HEAD CANON FOR >>>/yourdudes/

Sucls to have a commisar instead of another 5 scion for sire but hey, pic related.

Im tired of my Harlequin and want something more "in your face"
Dont know much about Scion but I was thinking something like

5 Taurox prime with gatling+heavy stubber+HSVG - 500
5 Vultures (Gatling) - 800
lots of melta and plasma scion

>I'm so upset I never win!
>I'll just blame the winner >:(

Blast pistol. The agoniser is pretty meh this edition around. At least the blast pistol gives you an actual damage option.

How do you play your harlequins that scions feel more in your face than the murder clowns? Is it the whole deepstrike thing that scions have?

Okay, that's how I modeled her. Thanks. I was just making sure one last time before painting.

>500 points patrol detachment
>marines can bring 10 dudes (primaris only)
>deldar 21 dudes
>ig can bring 48 fuckers, 6 are HWT with lascannons, 10 are snipers, and 1 is a walker scout with an autocannon
That's just cheating.

It's weird. In the previous editions, agonisers were the way to go with their ap3 and poison 4+. Now electrocorrosive whips are better and units that can take agonisers might not even want to anymore since you can shoot pistols in cc now.

>marines can bring 10 dudes (primaris only)

Intercessors are 20ppm. 500/20=25, not 10.

Are there going to be new Primaris pre-orders this Saturday? Haven't seen anything online.

>Primaris only

I think I found your problem.

Getting tired of those kids building gimped lists just because "muh troo-scale".
I know you're all good goys and want to be cucked with inferior rules for pretty models, but you're limiting yourself to a single tool in the very expansive toolbox that is the Space marine army list.

But keep playing with your fisher price marines, I guess, they make you feel grown up "like a chad" and they're big enough for you to horribly fingerpaint them.

The IG is a horde army, you know. It's their whole reason of being.

20 Scions/Kasrkin
8 Bullgryn, 3 are half painted
2 Taurox Primes
Manticore
2 basikisks but 1 is close
Wyvern
Valkyrie
Touch ups on random vehicles
Straken count as
Nork
3 Inquisitor models
Some heavy weapons and special weapons

I have 70+ infantry and 6 vehicles done so far.

Reminder that they should just change the T'au to A'nts already

Anyone with Chad models who doesn't run them as their manlet equivalents is missing out

Sorry, missed the "patrol detachment" bit, as that would imply you're spending points on an HQ of some sort. Still, spending 300 of your 500pts on your HQ is a little silly.

I think the primaris is just a hypothetical situation to highlight disparity in model counts at a specific points bracket. Not that he is trying to build a primaris list and complaining that IG gets to spam meat bags.

It was also an ancient and inceptors.

How do Orkz deal with tanks?
A bunch of tooled up Nobz?

I've seen plenty of conversions for stuff like Orks and such, but are there really any oppurtunities for conversion for Necrons? I wanted to start them and maybe modify some stuff because I'm not a huge fan of some vehicle designs, but I don't know that there's really any precedent to provide inspiration.

Would there be a way to make them look like Geth? At least in the heads, they would help make them less human.

>3 Librarians
>2 Captains
>1 Chaplain
>1 Techmarine
>20 guys worth of several support characters and veterans
>10 devastators
>15 assault marines
>10 vanguard vets
>20 sternguard vets
>20 tac marines
>20 misc marines
>5 terminators
>5 sisters of silence
>1 rhino
>2 primarchs
>2 contemptor dreads
>1 Atropos Knight
>1 Castigator Knight
>Inquisimunda warband consisting of 15 dudes
>Several Frostgrave warbands totaling 40 models

And I still gotta finish a 35 model deathguard army I've got paid to paint as well as several infinity models.

I really don't notice how more I need to paint until i write it down...

With boyz.
Keep a waaagh!!! banner nearby and they hit on 2+ with their 4 attacks. Then it's only a matter of time before they roll enough enough 6's to wound.

Ork rokkits from any source in the army are pretty devastating with the 3 flat damage they pump out. Tankbustas are nice as well as a few Nobs with right flash kombi rokkits, both can get rerolls to hit.

Actually not to bad at the moment.

Few squads of Scions. A taurox. A Knight. 3 dunecrawlers and 5 ironstriders. I've cleared a lot of my backlog.

>10 Fire Warriors
>3 Stealth suits
>Broadside
>a FUCKTON of drones
>10 Wyches
>Succubus (working on now)
>10 Hellions
>6 Reavers
>Imperial Knight

I guess harlequin dont put out 400 shots a turn like his scion list.

What about fliers? Is it also boyz?

Sprucrons or bust, user

Yes.
There's no problem you can't solve by throwing enough boyz at it.

Librarians
Captains
Chaplain
Techmarine

What is this for ? are you actually building multiper chapters at the same time ?

wait, just realized. Tempestus come from the Schola Progenum right? And that's where they train Commissars as well?

So you could have a "Commissar Junior" squad or soemthing. Maybe field them as Acolytes or something similar.

how are custodes? are they decent footslogging? how are spearstodes?

I am putting darth vader capes on all of my necrons as a side project.

For more in depth modeling, look at the old wraiths and back port new units into necron bodies. Spyders with flayed one torsos instead of heads, triarch stalkers without riders, etc.

The models are required to play, assuming you like playing this game and want to play it with other people. Unless you play on Vassal or TTS

Mega Links include all the rules for the whole game.

Its a fun game. But it takes a lot of time and money. Though I did the math once and like most TT games the money-to-time-of-fun ratio is really good.

I believe they are strong against small arms fire, weak against anti-vehicle and mortal wounds. Use distraction carnifexes to pull focus, like knights, baneblades, etc.

holy shit guys, anyone notice that the current CSM are fucking manlets!? I just finished my first new deathguard, and he dwarfs my havoc-- chaoslets btfo

Sounds cool, but you would have to sculpt them yourself or pay someone else to. Best thing would be design it in whichever program shapeways accepts and have them print you a ton of heads

I'm never going to find the source for this

>Captain ~100pts
>Tac squad of 10 ~ 150pts
>Tac squad of 10 ~ 150 pts

That's already 21 marines with points to spare.

If I were IG, I'd bring
>Company Commander (30)
>Infantry Squad x4 (~250)
>a fucking Leman Russ (~180)

gives me 40 dudes and a tank that the other guy definitely does not have enough AT to deal with

Terminator captian
20 Terminators
Landraider
Stormraven
Primarus half of dark imperium

2 etherals
Coldstar commander
3 crisis commanders
20 firewarriors
10 pathrinders
Ghostkeel
Devilish
Old style broadside
And a fuck-tonne of drones

Kill me

I also play Horus Heresy, so while generic in normal 40k, many of them have a unique role to fill in my 30k lists.

Also, I like building and painting special characters, it's fun.

Don't bother, they aren't actually traps.

>Hows that backlog looking?
>Ive got over 350 models to paint
I've got maybe 12 kriegers to finish, then i've got a full 1000pts army for 40k.

Meanwhile, I have 3 unpainted AoS armies that are over 2500 pts each. Kill me.

It looks more like old CSM is stuck in squat pose

>4 carnifex, 64 genestealers, around 80+ assorted gaunts, around 12 medium bugs
>Leman Russ, 6 sentinels, around 70-100 guys including a shitton of HWTs
>2k of assorted chaos, including 12 termies, 30 CSM

>AoS
No user, you live with the pain of your actions.

Finished Daemons cost-calcs much earlier than expected, due to the small number of options: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Lots of melee stuff, which means lots of units which are very efficient if they can reach their targets.

With that, I've worked through my current queue, but I've also now done so many armies that I may as well finish the rest. Requests for priority are open, otherwise I'll probably be doing Necrons next, alongside a T'au rewrite at some point.

Calling it that I'm going to finish this thing just in time for Codexes to start dropping.

gods creations are perfect.

in your case perfectly cucked.

exhentai.org/g/1041914/efa0664b3b/

Can the order : TAKE AIM!
That makes you reroll 1's can be used to not die while using overcharged plasma ?

i have a question, how do i tell if a weapon is a good all-rounder?

orz

Yeap.

>Imperial iconography still on autocannon

Is he being ironic?

instaloose vs anything mortalwound like biovores

Cut the hands off and glue them to a different arm upside down. If it looks too retarded then glue a purity seal over the top so you cant see the actual hand

If you have the option to reroll, you can do so before resolving the final result. Yes, you can reroll a 1 from Overcharged Plasma and hopefully not roll a 1 again, which would result in the death of the miniature.

Also, you can spend a Command Point to do as much as well. Just putting that out there.

hell fuck yes. It's wahy having a Junior Officer makes sense with a mobile command squad. (Or a Company commander w 2 command squads)

He stole it

Thanks user.

Check out the second table, further down, for the cost-efficiency calculation. As an all-arounder, you want to see green or yellow (25-60ish pts per wound per turn) against a variety of opponents.

Missile Launchers (Frag vs Krak) you'll notice has yellow values against infantry with frag and against vehicles with krak, indicating that it's decent against both target classes when using the right ammo, but not great against either.

In general though, the only stuff that's decent against everything is either:
1. Melee, meaning the challenge is reaching your opponent
or
2. Based around Smite. Smite does flat mortal wounds regardless of the target, so you'll see very even efficiency distributions. Check out Grey Knights as an example.

I have a bit of work to do, but I have buckled down and gotten a lot done in the past month.
Chaos Knight, 5 Chosen, 10 Cultists
A shitton of heavy weapons teams, 10 guardsmen, 10 scions, 4 commisars, 10 scouts, Lysander, a predator, a basilisk, 15 neophyte hybrids, 3 GSC HQs, 5 deathwatch veterans.
Typing this all out makes me realize I'm still in the woods.

I get that. I mean, don't CSM usually scratch/deface imperial iconography before usign them? carving off eagles, etc.

Figure it would depend on how recently it was procured. If grabbed like on that say that planet, no time, too busy fighting. If it's had time to go through their armory then yes.

Tankbustas will absolutely shit on any armour in the game

I run 20 tankbustas in 2 trukks, and so far theyve one-shot

>land raider
>sicaran
>monolith
>leviathan
>almost killed a knight in one turn

Theyre fucking disgusting

>Also, you can spend a Command Point to do as much as well. Just putting that out there.
You actually can't command point re-roll if you have already re-rolled. You can only re-roll a dice a single time, no matter how many sources of re-roll you have.

Is the current tankbuster box a bunch of metal minis? If so, I'm holding out hope for plastics, or I'll just keep gluing rokkits and other explosives to regular boyz to make my tankbuster mob.

All with RAWKET LAUNCHAs? Or something else?

11 minis plus chapter icongraphy for my primaris

so do our wallets. Its a hobby.

I know. Only one reroll and second result usually stands unless it's a roll two and drop/pick.

Just pointing out that there's an alternative for rerolls without a dedicated support unit, but it's going to need Command Point fuel to keep it going rather than be free.

hehe, yeah I had forgot to file it off so I decided to keep it and I just put slime all over it, though you cant really tell in the photo because I can't into photography

How the fuck do you kill a land raider with 20 tankbustas in one turn?