/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General
This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.
>Previous Thread:
>>???→

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>AM1200
vimeo.com/102372269
>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't, Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads

I have seen a lot of definitions of what "lovecraftian" means for people. I won't ask to anyone to settle on one because I don't see a point, I just want that anons each say what their definition is.

Me, for example, summed it up as "fear and insignificance in face of the infinite unknown".

Pic is the kind of deep sea horrible creatures that Lovecraft didn't get to know.

>Pic is the kind of deep sea horrible creatures that Lovecraft didn't get to know.

Ehh. Uncertainty is far more scary than actual freaky creatures. Reality rarely lives up to the panicked imaginings of a human mind faced with the unknown.

his poem Nemesis defines pretty well the term lovecraftian. certainly not all his stories involved the sea or the infinite unknown.

>Delta Green still isn't in the pasta

You know what I don't even fucking care anymore

If people want it they can look in the archives

It's not so much about insignificance or the infinity of the unknown, more about the revelation of the closeness of it. Pickman's Model is very good about this. Ghouls aren't a threat to the universe or prove that humanity is just a transient footnote, but they're terrifying in their possibility. They could be living in the sewers of your city. They could be under your house right now. They might be lurking under your basement stairs, or peering in your night windows, or crouching at the foot of your bed while you sleep.

It's that idea, about the ever present closeness of terror and your inability to deal with it, even know about it most of the time, is what Lovecraftian horror is based on. This is inherent in almost all his works, even stuff like Rats in the Walls or Arthur Jermyn, where the hidden terror isn't lurking in the dark. It's lurking in your family tree.

>We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far

bump

I can't wait until we get our "Masks" equivalent of DG whether it be with this campaign or the next couple on the horizon.

Pop quiz: If I were to set a Delta Green game abroad, where would be some good settings/antagonist(s)/spooky scenes to frighten my players with?

So far, I've got some ideas about a rogue PISCES cell in Hong Kong/some other former colony, alongside a cult in Kazahkstan selling arms to finance a rocket launch from Baikonur that'd throw a McGuffin into the sun, making the last alignment needed for The Stars To Come Right.

Human traffickers in the Balkans are shuttling a ton of cargo to "someone" they don't ask a lot of questions. Sounds like it may be a DG problem.

The Agents are sent to an auction in Monaco for a rare Occult artifact... turns out it's really a sting by GRU-SV 8 or PISCES.

Bump

Anyone have a leak of the Case Officers Handbook by chance?

Bump

Buy it via backerkit, you goof. Or check Detwiller's Patreon - bunch of good content you can get for cheap.

I didn't even realize you could, thought you had to already have backed it prior. Thanks man.

What's Delta Green?

Cthulhu but with Conspiracy/Spy Fiction trappings.

You're the agents of the deep state protecting humanity from utter destruction while also keeping them in the dark about the true nature of the universe.

Just that our understanding of the universe is really just a little left of center. That modern science and academics have only a slice of understanding.

Not that there is inherent fear or imminent death from it. But that there is a world that is much grander just out of view.

Quick question, me and friends are playing Call of Cthulhu 6th next week and I want to know what skill would I roll to make illustrations copying something I found. Think Dyer and Danforth at the ruins I'm the mountains of madness. Is it art, (painting)? I wanna know so I can be good at that, even if I have to make something up

>j-just pay for it!

You must be new here

here you go nigger

You act like "pqy for content you consume" isn't always ingrained in Veeky Forums just as much as the degenerate fish spawn who pirate everything and wonder why developers want to minimize their necessary investment in content.

Are you one of the devs, or just here from reddit? I haven't seen anyone get this assdamaged over piracy on this board in years of posting.

Teaser for the next game I'm running in my DG open table

On this day, you were This Guy

I don't understand what this is a reference to

Did you mean to post an image?

Is "This Guy" supposed to be some kind of analogue to "That Guy"? I've noticed people trying to force that meme.

Damn, I feel like I'm dating myself. Yeah, it's the opposite of that guy. At least it was a couple years ago. Board culture changes fast.

Dude I remember that from years ago too. Feels weird to be getting old.

the internet has compelled most consumable media into the "free to play" format, where the faceless hordes of poorfags almost universally pirate, and the content creator is disproportionately funded by "whales" who spend ungodly sums of money on everything that strikes their fancy.

Is there anyone here who is independently wealthy and still chooses not to help support content creators that he appreciates and wants to keep in business?

You're delusional if you think 'pqy for content you consume' is ingrained in Veeky Forums.

Open any general and the first post will contain links to every book for the game in question. This is even true of this very thread we're posting in right now, or at least it would be if the OP would include the DG books in the pasta.

We can debate the ethics of piracy all you like, but the idea that Veeky Forums as a board is somehow opposed to it is demonstrably incorrect.

Everyone complains, but we all have SOME pirated books. Thanks for the post friend.