EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"You Ungrateful Shits Watched It Die" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Any good stories from FNM?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jaradmazirek-casual-commander
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gaaiv-helmet-combo-pillow-fort/
competitiveedh.com/doomsday-piles-by-jake-frondorf/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daretti-scrap-savant-competitive-control-1/
drive.google.com/open?id=1lmyeXJyyfRTO14gUEs0Cob22MFFfliGNuECO08wmrPw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I dig the thread title. Made me chuckle.

>Thread question
I haven't been to an FNM in over a year and a half because of travel, the only one I have is from Khans or Fate reforged on a two headed giant draft. A friend and I lost because the two opponents we able to cast crackling doom and copy it three times

I could be wrong about the amount, I just remember us losing because they got hella lucky and it was our only loss that night

How many counterspells do I run in Ux decks?

can vision charm potentially be a timewalk?

GIve me a spicy/fun decklist /edh/

More like lazy shits edition part 2

That said i decided to throw my old ass Jarad back together since my other decks are too unfair. Is there any new tech to consider. Im pretty sure ive hardlined for a birthing pod plan a bit too hard
Mazirek is in deck as alternate commander that can go infinite but also get value with creatures getting sacced which they do a lot.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jaradmazirek-casual-commander

>Any good stories from FNM?
>going to a card shop
>ever

Shu yun, i can post my list when i get home if youd like.
Only if they have nothing on field and are running straight basics, and theyre the only opponents.
For janky extra turns just play seedtime

>when you look at the cards you own now and remember 8 years ago you gave away all your cards to your brother

I tend to run around four but I have no idea if that is a decent amount

JUST

Sure, why not?

New player trying to build an augustin iv deck for multiplayer here, happy for any advice:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gaaiv-helmet-combo-pillow-fort/

the big question thats been on my mind recently: would this deck benefit from the inclusion of sphere of resistance? Somehow I feel its not that strong, considering that it is completely symmetrical.

GAAIV tends to do better off Trinisphere as a tax effect, from what I've seen.

Is this guy any good? Can it be built on a budget?

Yeah that seems like an interesting card here. Does grand arbiter still apply his discount to cards under 3 cmc that are blue or white though? lets say I want to cast counterspell while trinisphere and arbiter are on the field, I still only need to pay BB right?

Also, how would you rate grand arbiter as a commander for a rather competitive multiplayer environment? Me and my playgroup are all just getting into commander and have set a budget of around 300 dollars for each deck, but I know from previous experience these guys are pretty serious. Think arbiter is a good UW general?

Yes
Everything can be built on a budget

He doesnt seem too strong in my humble opinion, if youre paying 6+ for your commander I feel that you would definitely want a stronger effect which, more importantly, can generate value the turn you tap out for your commander (see Damia, sage of stone, a very strong high-cost commander).

But of course, he can be built on a budget. I still feel that there are much stronger decks that can be built on an even lower budget than you would want for him. (Mizzix is cheap and a lot of fun)

>is he good?
Yes
>budget
Skullclamp is only $2

anybody got any spicy Doomsday piles in Mardu colours? I need this for reasons.

Good creatures for rakdos lord of riots?

How feasible is it to build an EDH deck based on the wall of blood/rite of consumption type combo? There is a lot of shit that works similarly like Phyrexian Processor, plus some other related combos like the two enchantments from Innistrad where you gain life for every life your opponents lose, and your opponents lose life for every life you gain. Has anyone seen a good primer or even just decklist on this concept?

Trinisphere is always applied last. If you have anything that would bring it below 3, it will make it 3.

does UR have any good artifact tutors?

Spicy for winning or just spicy?
For above:
competitiveedh.com/doomsday-piles-by-jake-frondorf/
>tfw had that bookmarked
For janky you can do anything really, but if you cast doomsday you might as well win on the spot.
Something we thought about in legacy thread was doomsday into hazorets undying fury. Theres a lot you can do with that. Just dont be indignant and win on the spot

Trinket mage

I see, thanks. So what do you think of grand arbiter in terms of commander tiers? It seems strong against degenerate combo decks, which is what I am aiming to be strong against.

Yes.
For skullclamp specifically, Trinket Mage.
As for the rest Tezzeret, Trophy Mage, Treasure Mage, Gamble etc.

UR has almost ALL of the good artifact tutors

This deck shuts down combo pretty hard. Also really hard to play. If youre facing lots of blue put in boil and red elemental blast and pyroblast to be a dick.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daretti-scrap-savant-competitive-control-1/
Read the deacription if you dont have pricey bits. Next upgrade to the deck after what is mentioned are 0cmc rocks. Dexk is pretty cheap save for 15 or so luxury cards.

I can give advice i-if anyone is interested.

planeswalkers can't be commanders...

Unless otherwise stated, yes.

Next time ill look at your first post. Have a look at the general look of my daretti list, good controlling lists run somewhat similar things.
In the meantime Ill write some advice on your decklist on t/o
B8

my group house ruled that any planeswalker can get your commander

>Daretti, Scrap Savant can be your commander.

What do you mean "unless otherwise stated"? The rule has always been "Legendary Creature".

Eldrazi Titans.

>Daretti, Scrap Savant can be your commander.

I posted some advice on the decklist now, ill have a more careful look tomorrow if i have time
Also be wary of how good stax decks are.

Anyone got spicy tech for shattergang bros?

Hardly unknown but run all your grave pact effects.

Mycosynth lattice lets you throw permanent for permanent which can be good if you get a lead on board or fire off an MLD effect or something.

Mimic vat, dragonlair spider, sly requisitioner, scrap trawler

Will have to drop the lattice in there for sure
Going to try all of these out, real spicy

How have you been using pro hulk since it's unbanning?
Personally I built a flash hulk deck at first then after being told to tune it down because we wanted to maintain a certain power level in our group I made a more casual hermit druid deck that wins though maze's end
Killing hulk gets me hermit druid and whatever else I want probably 2 Mana dorks (purposefully not getting a haste enabler so that the table has one turn to stop me) and winning by having access to like 7-8 Mana and milling my whole library
Flashing back dread return
Getting archeomancer which gets splendid reclamation and getting all the gates back

All the other cards in the deck are mostly 1 for 1 removal and taxing effects
Would this deck be too powerful for the average play group
Usually kills before turn 10
As early as turn 5

Btw it's actually two turns because you need to tap maze's end during your next upkeep to trigger the winning clause or have it on the table untapped Before you druid/reclaim
And it costs an extra 4 (because you can't tap the maze for Mana + the 3 for activation)
Are you sure you built this deck and aren't just larping?

Yeah, everything except Enlightened Tutor. Just run Trinket Mage, Artificer's Intuition, and Fabricate imo.

Ive got more spice. Hot spicy. Janky spice.
Dragon appeasement, savra, sifter of skulls, smothering abomination, tireless tracker, ULVENWALD MYSTERIES by the way is nuts
Thats all i can be arsed to find
With prot hulk you usually fetched some loop, most common was getting karmic guide+reveillark+mogg fanatic with a sac outlet. Youd have to google the specifics. That said hulk is fine without it, its like a reverse pod activation which is nuts.

Totally new to EDH here, I've only played kitchen table 60 card decks. Me and my buddies are wanting to get into EDH. Where's the best place to start? Should we just pick a legendary we like and build around it?

>Phyrexian REEE

As a Titania player I love all the new lands. That being said I haven't bought a card/pack since the first India/lefty set. The game upsets me right now.

That's what I did. I got into magic playing dragons because dragons are cool. Then, when we moved to EDH, I just grabbed the coolest dragon I could and threw in as many other dragons as I could.

Only then did I find out you're supposed to use Scion for stupid hermit druid shit or why bother

Alright, I'll do what you di-
>no legendary wurms

Screw the Hermit Druid Scion deck, he is still good as a dragon general. Attack someone, make him a copy of Nicol Bolas, and blow the fuck out of them.

Worry not, I still love my Scion deck. I pour all expendable income into it. And generally yes, I start with Nicobobo. The salty tears are amazing.

And I save moltensteel + skithiryx for really nasty players.

You could always do Thromok and just say he's an angrier wurm.

He's one of the ones I was considering. Token spam, I guess, so you can lay down a big ass Thromok? And then shit to give him trample?

Hes fine and in the ballpark of being appropriately costed for what he does compared to similar cards, hes kind of a more roundabout niv mizzet or nekusar. Hes a little weaker than them since he isnt personally doing the damage and unlike nekusar he isnt usually hitting evverybody and is missing a third color, but hes actually maybe a little better if youre not just straight killing everyone in a single turn since you can get continuous value out of the locust tokens.

I dont think he can be budget though unless there are enough pitch and draw the same amount of cards cards you wouldnt normally play to replace wheel of fortune, time spiral, etc.

Hoe many counterspells do you guys run in your decks, /edhg/?

99. My commander is Venser

between 5 and 12 usually, lower numbers in 3c decks than 2 or mono.

Thoughts?

Anyone got super secret spicy tech for this big boy?

You could also pick a Jund commander, like Kresh or something, so that you can use Charnelhoard Wurm and Massacre Wurm.

Fabricate is pretty baller

You can use Pharika to make Enchantment Creature tokens so you have a supply of Enchantments to force sacrifices if you need to. Hammer of Purphoros is a Haste Anthem that can get you Enchantment Artifact Creature tokens, so you can sacrifice them for anything. Tireless Tracker can make Clues for either decent card draw, or to sacrifice and get rid of other artifacts.

So excited to put him in Godo or make a deck of his own out of him. Looks like a hell of a ride.

The return to hand clause is really good in a battlecruiser meta. If your Nekusar or Niv dies once or twice, you're paying an assload of mana to cast them again.

> Gatherer Rulings: If you somehow have more than two main phases in a turn, each main phase after your first one is a postcombat main phase, and Neheb’s last ability triggers at the beginning of each of them.

Step 1: Inflict 6+ Life loss across all opponents
Step 2: Aggravated Assault

You now have infinite combats and infinite mana (though no more than Total Life Loss Inflicted This Turn - 5 at a time). Note: Dead opponents still count so if you can attack someone with impunity you can eventually get their full life total towards your margin.

Neheb can do some profoundly stupid things, but Assault might be the stupidest, followed closely by having an ALL THE MANA turn after tapping Heartless Hidetsugu.

Note that in both cases Neheb doesn't have to be not summoning sick, you can drop him first main then do your insanity second.

Second commander for lord of riots, otherwise he would play like a less clunky mono-red lord of riots.

I'm trying to sell a collection of ~700 cards, how do I value the entire lot? Contains multiple precons and some other $8-$25 dollar cards. Some guy is offering $100, rip off?

drive.google.com/open?id=1lmyeXJyyfRTO14gUEs0Cob22MFFfliGNuECO08wmrPw

Don't forget about Cryptolith Fragment.

Thanks very much for the advice. How do you mean to be wary of stax being good though?

Put them all in a list on TappedOut or something and it'll compare prices for you.

I understand that, I have them all in a tcgplayer list. I'm asking what a reasonable pricing would be as a lot sold to a private buyer

go to tappedout.com and sum the "Buy list market price" for each card. This is the value a major seller would probably buy the collection for (though most would rather price only notably valuable cards individually then give you bulk rates on junk commons/uncommons)

Add like 20%. This is a price you can sell at that will be a bargain versus retail for your buyer and a boon versus buylists to you.

What's are the High/Mid/Low totals?

582/934/2227

all cards are NM

>tappedout

Tcgplayer, sorry. I cannot brain today, I have a terminal case of the stupid.

Why would you even entertain the idea of taking the $100?

Obviously it's a big lowball, I just don't know how lots like this are priced.

I mean. You can sell it if you need the money I guess. I prefer to hold onto my cards. Especially ones that I actually use.

>own a foil Doubling Season since OG Ravnica
>seriously doubt selling it now its $100+
>it's in my pimped Trostani deck

It.. can only go up even more, right?!

Normally I would agree, but Parallel Lives/Anointed Procession does basically the same for 15 dollars.

Probably somewhat lower than TCGplayer low. First, no one is going to actually expect all your cards to be NM, at least some would probably be sold as LP normally. Second, in a big lot, the buyer is eating some things they probably don't want in order to get the (majority?) elements they do want. It will cost them more than just buying what they DO want out of it at low, probably, but they are getting more they can use or resell or what have you

Your Low value is basically 600. Any offer less than 300 is an insult if it's coming from an individual (rather than a reseller, who will lowball you but who's always buying). Whether you entertain even that low or want to set a reserve at 400 or 450 is up to you and how much you want your money now versus how much you want top dollar, but you can at least try to bargain with someone offering in about that range.

Also, remember "Buyer pays shipping"

The Atraxa spike is on the decline anyway.
The only thing coming up that might hike it up again is the Legendary Planeswalker errata.

I dunno. Then sell it and buy a chinaman. *shrug*

Do you need the money or something?

Sell it, but a non foil, and then buy other cards you want

it's that easy

How would you tier a Brago, King Eternal deck?
Either as a budget deck or as a "I spent the savings of a lifetime on it" deck?

If you want it to be good its going to be the latter. Otherwise it'll be janky.

Some expensive cards that should be in it at all costs?

No, I don't need the money - but I also can see that $100 sitting in a winmore card is kind of a waste.

If only life for a pimper was that easy.

>5 mana
>no haste
>not Rakdos
>combat focused

Over hyped as a commander could be okay in some builds.

This

Season is win more incarnate

I kinda feel like you're just waiting for someone to tell you what you want to hear. If you like the card then keep it. If you'd rather sell it and buy more cards you want then sell it.

Its pretty simple.

You missed the real $100-$120 boat.

>Thinking Neheb needs haste or combat to work

Just because it's after combat doesn't mean it's combat focused. Small burn, get the mana, big burn.

>Note that in both cases Neheb doesn't have to be not summoning sick, you can drop him first main then do your insanity second.
You know, I knew all thebother shit you said, but I didnt even think about that.

You can build Brago for about $200 and it will be strong enough 1v1 to fuck over everything but the tippest top tier decks. I run mine as a hatebears/exile tribal and it puts in a lot of work for $300 and change. The traditional artifact stax build is about 2k by comparison, and while it is clearly powerful, I ran both and I'm much happier with the budget one.