Why don't Mages, Wizards, Witches, Sages, Sorcerer, Magicians, Warlocks, Necromancers, Pyromancers, Cryromancers...

Why don't Mages, Wizards, Witches, Sages, Sorcerer, Magicians, Warlocks, Necromancers, Pyromancers, Cryromancers, Hydromancers, Aeromancers, Geomancers, Illusionists, Druids, Elementalists, Chronomancers, Shamans and Enchanters wear heavy armor?

Depends on the setting.

Because it's heavy.

Because they are weak, Ivan

The heavy metal make it them tired like baby

Because it's a bitch to maneuver in and they need alll the dexterity they can get to draw digits and circles.

Half-assed attempt at game balance.

Why would they, if armor is useless against magic?

In my setting magic is casted from your actual energy, so it tires you out.

If you wear lots of heavy and you're traveling a lot then you'll get tired waving your hands around a lot quicker. So most casters prefer to go with robes or go shirtless and don a fundoshi.

Something something lotr fantasy roots

Interferes with their casting

no one in Lotr wears heavy armor, unless your talking about the movies, in which case only the armies of gondor and isengard wear heavy armor

Legacy. A lot of sword and sorcery fantasy staples used wizards only as wise men or villains, so the only ones in combat were basically in their bath robes when the adventurers kicked in the door.

Fuck you. It has very little effect on dexterity. You don't know shit about armor.

The real reason is game balance and setting rules. Old warhammer fantasy for example said metals besides gold interfered with the winds of magic, which is why chaos lords were so scary: demon armor was great for magic, so chaos sorcerers were robe wearing pussies.

Apparently you've never seen the anime.

Fucker had to respec his class with a store item.
Granted there was an arc where he wore a full suit of armor and still swept through enemies just by the sheer advantage in terms of level/stats. Imagine a max level wizard ganking your low-to-mid ranged level rogue with only their fists

What is the anime called lmaoo

Depends on the fucking setting and the system in which it's run.

Look at Dee n' Dee 5e. There's no downside of armor for casters as long as they're proficient in it. It's actually pretty easy to have a wizard that uses full plate. Just dip into Fighter. You don't even HAVE to dip with the feat system, just have the right archetype/race and forego an ASI or two.

In my setting, a magic user can wear heavy armor, but to have a sparse mesh of especially enchantable metal between cloth, making it about as effective as leather to maybe even Brigandine, depending on the mage.

The one drawback about wearing a full set of heavy armor is that it might give them encumbrance, like anyone else. But it won't discourage a Mage much more than anyone else

Skeleton Man

Overlord.

They'd have to dig their heads out of their books for 5 minutes

>lmaoo
>>>twitter

>In my setting
ugh.

Or dip into life cleric for those nice healing spells

>ugh.
groan

In my setting casting magic increases the caster's body heat. Using heavy clothes and using magic can kill you by heatstroke.

Because death wears bunny slippers

They can't do the constant complicated arm/shoulder/finger movements requires for spellcasting.

Why are Mages and Wizards and Sorceres and any type of mage in D&D able to use magic that belongs Necromancers, Pyromancers, Cryromancers, Hydromancers, Aeromancers, Geomancers, Illusionists, Druids, Elementalists, Chronomancers, Shamans and Enchanters, all of these like its nothing?

This is my biggest issue with the magic systems we have today. All of those are mages by themselves. The term mage and wizard like in D&D is disgusting, he is a jack of all trades, master of everything. Fire mage =/= Water mage.

Come on

because they make it light with magic

Protection at cost of encumbrance, better to not engage your enemies in melee

Why it happens?

What kind of bitch-ass spellcasters you hangin' with bro?

when did lorgar get so fat

Fuck people who try to be creative, am I right? It's just a fucking game

>ugh
BBEG

Because real mages don't spend their years of training to look like brain dead barbarians.They only need a robe and hat

Sometimes they do. (See; the entire Habrean sect of the Yalanai)

>In a literary setting.
Mages can wear heavy armor if they wish, but the defense it provides is negligible compared to the many enchantments and magical defenses they surround themselves with.

>In a Game setting.
Because Mages in plate would be OP.

Well, presuming that casting spell drains your stamina the same way as, say, moving around in heavy armor that doesn't really let much heat out does, then it's not surprising that Mages prefer cloth over armor.

If we presume that mages exerting themselves in an attempt to cast spells is anything like physical exertion, then obviously it would make sense that the mage would, in the interests of fighting longer and recovering faster from his exertion, choose to wear robes instead.
After all, similiar situations have been seen in history where lightly armored targets keep harassing heavily armored enemies, not because they're faster, but because they know that in a battle of stamina, the guy in the armor will tire out first.

For my setting, because they mostly aren't warriors or otherwise immediately useful in a fight, and bronze is expensive.

D&D 4E and D&D 5E called, 3.P a shit. They can't use armor because most of their time training is spent honing their spellcasting abilities, but if they're willing to take the feats for it they can use armor if they so wish.

It's simple really

symbolism

>Because Mages in plate would be OP.
>mfw all their defense buffs can put them past plate anyway

My answer to op is as follows: In game terms it is for my least favorite game component, balance. In the world it is usually explained as the armor interferes with the Caster somehow. Most common example is it hinders the Arcane motions and such that the Caster needs to use to cast his spells which is bullshit. There are plenty of types of armor that wouldn't interfere with that sort of casting. Most light armors, breastplates, full plate, there is no shortage of armor types that do not hinder casting. Hell, with Wizards being just a thing in most settings there is no conceivable reason that a wizard wouldn't just design a suit of armor that didn't hinder casting. The second explanation usually given is that magic is some sort of energy force and that the reason that Wizards wear robes is that allows the free movement of that energy force. Now there are frequently materials that encourage the flow of this energy force. There are also materials that hinder the flow of this energy force such as lead. There is no conceivable reason that for an increased cost, most likely quite a bit actually, a wizard couldn't design or purchase or even make himself a suit of wizard or casting friendly armor. This is the explanation I prefer because the other one doesn't make sense. If I ran I also wouldn't have any problem with the wizard trying to get a suit of this armor. It probably wouldn't be nearly as good as say full plate but would provide some modicum of protection. Most likely very good protection comparatively. It also most likely be very expensive, requiring a large variety of rare Gems or materials or even just gold.

>Going from leather armour to lead plate in two sentences
wewlad

If armor interrupts the use of magic, then why doesn't it defend against it?

maybe it does

Once the magic is channeled into an effect, it behaves as any natural version of that effect would. Fireball behaves as a fireball, Lightning bolt as a lightning bolt, etc. The armor only interrupts the raw magical energies and their interactions with the caster.

I play AD&D 1e and we have that that metal fucks with magic (similar to how steel and iron affects faeries). A wizard can wear leather armor, but nothing metal or it fucks with the magic and you have a percentage to fail. Wizards wearing plate had a almost 100% failure rate. Metal didn't block magic from hitting you, it just fucked with the channeling ability. Clerical spells though are divine, which means metal does nothing.

Im actually fond of the explanation given in touhou of all things, that being that magic users spend so much of their lives breathing in surfer vapors and handling mercury and other decidedly unhealthy reagents while studying magic that their bodies become increasingly frail and sickly the longer they have studied magic.

Metal conducts magic. This is a problem when trying to channel and shape it, as there is interference. However, it acts like a lightning rod when targeted.