Op in D&D

I’m a fairly new DM and one of the Players decided to play a Bard. He has ridiculous high Charisma and basically passes every check without problems. If he fails, or is otherwise unable to convince the opponent, he just casts suggestion or something similar. So he can basically walk through the game doing everything he likes without consequences. That more or less obliterates the story and everyone else feels kind of useless. If I up the DC for char checks, no one will be able to pass them, except him which will lead to him doing all the talking and everyone else just standing awkwardly in the background. So you can see the problem I have here. How do you counter Op, borderline broken characters without making everyone else useless? BTW, he multiclassed as a cleric and has a AC of 18 or something. Is going to up that even further the next couple of sessions.

>Bard
>OP
>AC 18
>Good
HahahahahaahAHAHAHAHA MUAHAHAHAAH
I needed that

They're good, he actually commited mechanical senpukky by multiclassing into cleric, so he's done. Your real problem is full casters, those are brutally OP

add situational modifiers to the encounters, if he's trying to talk someone who is paid by the bbeg then it SHOULD be several degrees harder for the party to just talk him over to their side. If they're trying to talk the villian or some npc that literally hates their guts then the odd of them succeeding should be nigh on impossible. You can also put time constraints on them, if they're trying to make someone who is aggressive more friendly say it takes them like 10 minutes or something. Now if people start actually role playing you can just go with it, especially if they have really good in character points. You can give them a bonus, or just get rid of the checks all together if they come up with really good reasons.

How much is his Cha and his bonus to diplomacy? level of the group?

Group lvl is 5 and his cha checks average at around 30 with all modifiers.

>checks average at around 30
That means he has a bonus of +20 I assume?
System? 3.5?
In 3.5 at 5 levels you have at best 8 ranks
Letsa ssume he has 20 Cha, that means +5, for a total of +13
Lets assume he has +3 from skill focus, that makes it +16
There're still +4 left, which I assume come from either synergy with other skills, magic items, spells or something else.

Even if he has a bonus of +20, that doesn't mean he passes all DCs. Just because you're a great orator doesn't mean what you say becomes true.

Also you need a minute (10 fuck action rounds) to complete a diplomacy check, if you have less time (during a combat for example) you have -10 to your roll. There's also no retry

Which system????? Pathfinder or 5th D&D. Also muilt-class with cleric. That is not smart with both systems.
Sounds more like a real life "Face" playing a face.
A 18 AC in both systems is not that high.
If you want combat rat men and orcs well rarely talk to meat/dinner

>Even if he has a bonus of +20, that doesn't mean he passes all DCs
not OP but most checks go from 15 to 25, he could get a 1 in the die and still pass

>not OP but most checks go from 15 to 25
1. False, to turn a hostile person into friendly is 35, and that's the common stuff
2. Just because you passed the roll doesn't mean you succeeded, if the guards have the order of not letting anyone inside just because you're their very best friend doesn't mean they're going to let you in. Just because you made yourself their super friends doesn't mean you telling them to kill themselves will be seen as a good idea.

>to 25
>25
>20+1 is now > 25
No, with a +20 if he rolls a 1 he doesn't pass 25

don't get it, why not?

what if you get a natural 20?

>If he fails, or is otherwise unable to convince the opponent, he just casts suggestion or something similar. So he can basically walk through the game doing everything he likes without consequences.
What happens when he runs out of spells

I know the answer is "we stop the game until he has his spells back"

Almost positive your edition specifies that natural 20s aren't instant successes on skill checks.

Sorry, its DnD 5th edition.
He did the multi class, just to have proficiency in armour. To be fair, he isn´t Op in fights, just annoying that he has a quite high AC of 20. But outside battles, he can use magic to buff his char checks like bewitch or elonia´s glamer. Combined with suggestion und command it can be quite the pain in the arse.
Jup, exactly that. Hey, how about a long rest?

>implying the bard doesn't stop the game to rest

>DnD 5e
>5th level group
>"He rolls 30 on regular basis"
And OP is full of shit
This is bait thread, everybody go to your bussiness

if he has +20 all he needs is 10 and above, that's higher that a 50% chance though

Just checked his stats, he got +11 on persuasion, +11 on deception and +8 on performance
To be fair, he told me that he averages 30, I personally never checked that but even if he doesn´t, he still passes the checks one way or another. And thats my problem. How do I deal with someone who succedes every check, or casts suggestion if the checks fail.

Craft situations that suit the other players better. You can't convince a bear to stop mauling your face off just because you ask nicely. I'm not saying make him useless, I'm just saying make it so not every situation is a situation where he can talk his way out of it. There are still creative solutions beyond combat. Maybe have a few deaf guys or some bullshit, maybe make it so he's dealing with people in another language and has to speak through another party member, giving them the opportunity to say something else.

Make other NPCs question what the hell is happening when he casts suggestion. It's not a big flashy spell if memory serves but when the other guys notice their friend doing something they should know if it's out of character and whether or not to be suspicious. Make a roll for it, see if they think something is fishy.

I had a player suggest a guard go to a cliff edge (So they could push them off - And they insisted it was a Chaotic Good character as well). You know what happened? His two pals went 'Hey, why the fuck is our bud doing exactly what this weirdo says? We're meant to guard the gate, not go see the cliff edge.' They didn't take kindly to their bud being messed with, so they put a sword to the bard's throat and demanded they cancel the spell.

Make situations where people dislike him, and thus his charisma is having to work double time to make up for that. If everyone hates tieflings, and he's a tiefling, it's going to be easier for the human to convince people to do something, not him.

As for being overpowered in combat, throw bigger shit at them. If the rest of the players aren't going in for min-maxing then just make sure the majority of blows find their way to him. If he's such an overpowered character surely he's hitting pretty hard, so there's also good justification.

For one, a +11 doesn't anywhere near an average of 30, but it's decent. Also read the description of the suggestion fully, it's pretty narrow in its use.

Some player do not like talking and well let other players take the "face" roll. I saying this as your other players might shine in combat "Tank/Blasters".
Take the time to read your spells - Bewich ....Any creature that can’t be charmed succeeds on this saving throw automatically... So in 5th ed this does not work on elves and half-elves have adv, to the roll. Throw elves at him.

>How do I deal with someone who succedes every check, or casts suggestion if the checks fail.

No hablo senor

Pic related

read the spells and see his rolls

>Doesn't read the skill section
>Doesn't read the spell section
>Doesn't read the player's sheet
>Doesn't look at the player's rolls
>"what should I do?"
For starters go to an optometrist

rude

Fuck you buddy, he's right.

He can be both.