EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Literally a Dead Card" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What's a pet card you've wanted to find a home for but had no luck? Let's find a home for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

edhrec.com/top/r
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Pet Card
I love Blade of Selves but it never makes the cut

What decks have you tried it in, user?

Not him, but I use it in Kokusho. 5 times the number of opponents.

I would love to build a Wild Research deck, but I don't like the idea of building around a card that's not my commander. I just need Zur to switch colors.

Have you ever just fallen in love with a specific general? Ghave is honestly my ideal commander, and my current deck with him is everything I've ever loved about Magic, ever since my friend introduced me to the game by making me play against him using a mono-green Thallid/Overrun deck, years back.

Viable as a general?

Brago. I was reluctant to run him because everyone said he was degenerate, but holy shit, he plays so smoothly. I don't always win, but there's never a dull or irritating moment. For me.
More expensive and slower Azami.

Try Pride Kings for Null-Black Enchantress. You're in colors for the usual Bantchantress tech (Omniscience, Enchanted Evening, Aura Thief etc) plus some red stuff like Assemble the Legion, Aura Barbs, Dictate of the Twin Gods and M F'ing Obliterate

>What's a pet card you've wanted to find a home for but had no luck?
Faces of the Past. I've tried getting it into my Grimgrin deck a few times, but the zombies I have just don't have abilities to combo well with it.

Foil Arcanis is dope as fuck. One of the few blue cards I like.

As a commander though he doesn't really do anything. This is good if you play in groups and others use more flashy commanders but being mono blue means your deck needs to have its own win cons separate from him and basically work on its own which really isn't fully recommended for mono color decks as they normally get shut down or are just to slow.

>What's a pet card you've wanted to find a home for but had no luck? Let's find a home for it.

Isperia the Inscrutable.

He's basically a different version of Azami. Still combos with Mind Over Matter, better with Pemmin's Aura than Azami is. You don't have to play as many wizards since Arcanis draws more cards on his own.

He's also a million times cooler than Azami.

>we roll dice to see who goes first
>I go last
>first player goes "scorching desert, target user, pass"
>I'm absolutely stunned
>I go down to 39 life before it's even my turn
>he doesn't even apologize
I haven't even had one turn, so it was impossible for me to interact with the trigger. If he let me just play one island I could have stifled the trigger and still been at 40 life. Instead he targets me out of pure spite. We all talked about it and it was pretty clear that he only wanted me to be at 39 life so that I wouldn't win. He was going all on about how he is perfectly allowed to scorch me, but he didn't even think for a second about how I felt about it. It would have been infinitely preferable if he gave me just one turn to get up stifle mana or find a way to gain some life. Instead he tries to act like just because the game lets him do something that its ok and my feelings don't matter. We all agreed that targeting me was unnecessarily spiteful considering he had another land in hand he could play, or he could have mulliganed to a hand that had less hateful cards. We all agreed to just play as if I was at 40.

What I don't get is how people like him think its a good idea to play like that with regular playgroups. You know that by hitting me with scorching desert, it's just going to make me bring out my five color stonerain.dek and completely remove his ability to play next game. Since then we have houseruled that you're not allowed to hurt others players if they don't have a way to interact with it. Our players that have some social awareness and aren't completely autistic have all agreed with this rule and it has done a great job of weeding out the players that have offensive personality traits, such as having skin any thicker than plastic food wrap.

what is this referencing?
props though this one's REALLY good

I'm putting that in my Locust God to do dumb stuff with Skullclamp and Kyren Negotiations/Opposition.

Spitescooping was the big thing when that pasta was made.

Does Hope Tender combo with anything /edh/? I want it to jankily combo hard.

There are already a bunch of creatures that untap lands and do it better than Hope Tender does.

Also Krosan Restorer can untap 3 with threshold. Stone-Seeder Hierophant untaps one, but untaps itself on landfall.

What's Veeky Forums's opinion of the Trinket/Trophy/Treasure Mage cycle? Are there any particular artifacts you like t grab with them?

Telepathy is one of the first things to go in a Nebuchadnezzar deck.

You'd be better off running Krosan Restorer.

Break this. Hard mode: don't use Lab Man.

Trinket can grab Mana Vault/Crypt/Sol Ring. It's the fast mana one. Trophy Mage grabs you Ashnod's or Phyrexian Altar, Basalt Monolith, Blasting Station, Cloudstone Curio. It's the combo one. I've never really seen Treasure Mage used.

Bruna, Light of Alabaster. Mill your library, attach all your milled auras to Bruna.

Living death?

you can play it just as a crappy hermit druid in mimeoplasm

?

>start playing edh at LGS
>go first
>put down my land and pass
>- user, why aren't you drawing a card? the one that starts the match draws a card

wat?

This has been a rule for multiplayer for a while.

Depends on table size. More than 3 players dictates a draw since it takes so long for you to react compared to the rest of the table.

they are in fact right

had no idea of this rule, kept thinking they played it wrong

thanks for clearing it up

Trinket grabs ring, vault, crypt, moxen, or sensei's top.
Treasure nabs Blightsteel or other bombs.
Trophy grabs too many things to list, including swords, ashnod's altar, rocks, tangle wire, trinisphere, crucible, and so on. It's grossly underrated.

>103.7c In all other multiplayer games (besides 2HG), no player skips the draw step of his or her first turn.

What are some must have red cards? Red is the "weakest" color I've been told, but I want to see some strong EDH red cards that make me believe otherwise.

They're all very good. Treasure Mage depends more on your decklist.

Trophy Mage grabs swords and either part of Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth.

draaaaaagons.

edhrec.com/top/r

Insurrection's pretty nice.

bruna

Vandalblast.

Nah, monowhite is worse than monored.

Chaos Warp is 100% auto include in all monored decks. Vandalblast is a blowout. Winds of Change is pretty interesting.

Pic related ends games.

Ruination, Blasphemous Act, Daretti, Goblin Welder, Battle Hymn, Chain Reaction, Vandalblast, and Inferno Titan are some of the best red cards IMO

I'm a personal fan of Flame Slash in mono-red, despite damage-based removal getting ragged on constantly. 4 damage gets a LOT of crucial creatures in other decks like Oracle and Vizier.

Also, Chandra's Ignition to utterly BTFO of the board once one of your red dragons gets on the board. We're talking 20+ damage, easily.

This could be effective, depending on your playgroup

Monowhite is worse than monored because white is the better secondary color. It's got more splash potential than red, but splash can't carry your deck, so it suffers more without other colors.

Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon.

Savage Beating, Hanweir Garrison and Furnace of Rath

Increasing Vengeance, Reiterate, Dictate of the Twin Gods, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Past in Flames.

>Forcing people to resolve Hive Mind/Scrambleverse/Pact of Negation

thankfully at my LGS if we are playing for packs we just vote them out. they get one pack but we keep playing

>foil scarab god
How's he looking for EDH?

Really fun

> but he didn't even think for a second about how I felt about it.

Cease your faggotry, man-servant!

>tfw everyone and their mother makes a scarab deck

Atleast it helped me sell some zombie cards I've been sitting on for a while.

how dare people play a fun new commander, fucking fags amirite?

>ran Death Cloud as a last resort "Fuck you" cabal dump sometimes
>I can just run Torrent of Hailfire
This was a good set.

I'd still run both. I fucking love Death Cloud.

Top secret Red tech coming through.

>t. Atraxafag

Just run Sundial too.

Hopefully I can trade these Death Barons away now. I've had 3 sitting in my trade binder forever and people always want them but once they find out it's a $20 card they always back down. I almost wish this card was worth less just so I could have a better chance to trade them away.

You mean Boros

Let's say I have Meren and Aid From the Cowl on the field (have 2+ experience counters).
I can select Meren's trigger first, getting back Sakura-Tribe Elder, can I then sacrifice STE to trigger Aid From the Cowl?

Building oldschool monoblack. Stipulation is that no card may have the modern border. I'm thinking of using several old legends, but haven't settled on a theme. What are some good inclusions?

Commanders/maindeck so far includes Visara, both flavors of Crovax, Greel, Greven il-vec, Spirit of the Night, and pic related.

cut out that baby shit, you haven't lived until you've used sunforger to search for render silent

Some of the best reanimator cards are from old sets. Phyrexian Arena and tutors are a given too.

Got most of the main tutors/reanimates covered, but the lesser-known stuff always eludes me. I swear, most of the coolest secret tech came from Fallen Empires.

Try Homelands. Has the whole Sangir crew I think.

If a creature has indestructible and I play Blasphemous Act that doesn't destroy it, right? What if that creature attacks and is blocked by something? Then is it destroyed?

Love this thing.

he and his serfs are gonna feed Razaketh repeatedly

>702.12b A permanent with indestructible can’t be destroyed. Such permanents aren’t destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the state-based action that checks for lethal damage (see rule 704.5g).

No, combat damage doesn't destroy them either

damage does not destroy indestructible creatures
unless it's infect/wither damage
generally indestructible creatures are vulnerable to:
- exiling
and
- toughness decreases ("give target creature -X/-X until end of turn" type effects, this would include -1/-1 counters given by wither/infect damage)

>using Sunforger to find an azorius spell

So combat doesn't count as toughness decrease or effects like Blasphemous Act? Sick. That's what I was worried about.

not unless they're running this bad boy

swing away friend

Damage does not decrease toughness

>Everlasting Torment into Blasphemous Act
Damn that's nice

is it just me or does he have the potential to be oppressively strong?

>shitty group decides lifegain is super strong and unbeatable
>they get all pissy when that guy pulls out
>build Zada
>deal almost 1000 points of damage to the lifegain player on a single swing

Creature type; Legendary

That sounds like your all sore losers... And if he payed admission deserves reimbursement.

That shit don't work my nigga

gotta break 'em in somehow

No longer legal, sorry m8

Legendary is a supertype. Not a valid choice.

Type can't be supertype?

nah we all pay for 1 pack on entry, the rules are clearly stated before the game and on the site. the person that gets kicked still wins a pack on top of his entry pack

Eh zombies aren't getting a tribal deck from the 2017 set. Let them have their fun and appreciate the rare one's that get more creative.

Nope

Creature type is Soldier, Dragon, etc., all subtypes

someone doing that knows exactly what the fuck they're doing and gets whatever they get

Two of the guys I play with, both friends, are buying Chinese bootleg cards. Both of these guys were already the highest power-level among the small group I'm because they like theorycrafting, watching tournaments, and have already spent money on good cards. But now they have access to cards that are ludicrously overpowered, perfect mana, and so forth.

It's making me no longer want to play the game. What do I do?

kill them

Communicate and express that you're no longer having fun because you feel that you can't compete. Talk it out.

Go to local card shop and play with decent people. Friday night magic is also nice. The place I go to has a lot of people playing edh and all of them are incredibly nice even this kid who is a bit overly attached to people

Buy fakes of your own, don't tell them, trade, wait until they go to an official event and report them.

legendary is a card type. not a creature type.

You can also buy some chinese cards yourself. What are they gonna say about it?

Fuck, go print out some cards at home and slip them in over some basic lands. If they give you shit point out they play with fake cards too.