ITT: Your first experience of a character death

Good evening Veeky Forums,
in the last session for me and my group it was a first time of a PC death, two in fact, the thief and the bard, but luckily not my char. Now I want to ask you how had it come to the first PC Death you experienced? Where you Player or DM? Was it your character or that of a friend? Was it deserved, tragic or heroic? Let us share Stories.

>Mine goes as following. The Adventure began when we saved a young noble from some bandits, he invited us to his sisters wedding, w The party was fine, until more and more members of the family got attacked and so the baron, the nobles father, hired us as detectives, while blocking off his castle. But even than everything was fine and dandy, we fast discovered it has to be a other noble, with agents in the castle. We suspected the new wife of the baron, but we hadn't enough proof. While the bard and the thief got suspected because of some austistic actions, I myself digged my own hole. I tried to seed some rumors under the guests, to see who would panic and because of a critical speech success, I let a servant be captured. The problem was just, that the servant also had a success. And that all peoble I trusted and worked with, were the murders, including the baroness. To make it short, the bard and the thief were killed as the flew from their execution, we others had a chance to fight for our freedom, because there weren't enough prooves against us. While the two rangers merely survived and burned their faith points, my Character used his status, (is a high noble from a other country) to get a fair process and ended up in jail for one and half year and losed 80 EXP. (To put it in relations, in the system one-shot adventures bring some around 10 EXP.)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9Bzj_2YOY
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I pissed the GM off one too many times and had to retire my character without much ceremony, and that was that.

Not technically death, but close enough.

I fought a boss intended for the whole party on my own. I nearly killed him too, since my character was pretty overpowered, but I got cocky and wasted my destiny points to show off instead of finishing him.

Oh, I know that, thats awfull.

>yfw you realize you're not the protagonist, you're the badass who dies to fill the protagonist with a thirst for vengeance

Not really a character death but when the fuck else am I going to be able to tell this story?
>D&D 5th E
>Mage of the group betrays us
>Set's up a blinding fog inside of a small cave
>Being the berzerker of the group I charge past the fog
>His plan was to kill us all with a certain spell while in the fog (I can't remember the name of it...)
>Mage realises his spell was on cooldown
>by one day
>He then also notices in pure horror that he's surrounded by 7 party members in a cave with the only exit being blocked by us..
>mfw he's barganing with us to keep him alive.
>mfw we don't take his bullshit
>mfw the dm has to keep us from slaughtering him for betraying by saying he was cursed
Many laugh's were had that day.

ACTION ECONOMY MOTHERFUCKERS

Mine is pretty bad.
>First ever time playing an RPG instead of being a DM
>Friends homebrew campagin, pathfinder
>no idea what to pick, just go with a Tiefling Investigator because our party didn't have any characters with that skillset.
>I'm the unlock monkey
>go into room with chest in center, 4 vases in the corners
>go to unlock chest
>the vases are mimics and charge at me
>3 hit me, kill my character instantly
>other player uses fly in the room and gets into argument with DM if the vase mimics can stack atop each other to attack him up in the air
>DM discusses possibility of character coming back as half fiend template but I just say I'll go home
>never go back

>be dm running pathfinder
>Final boss of story arc
>Demon, normally CR 18, but weakened because story stuff
>Level 6 party
>Getting almost end of fight
>Demon casts Chaos Hammer
>Catches 3 out of 5 party members in blast
>All 3 party members pass their saves
>Roll for damage
>5d8
>Roll 8, 8, 8, 8, 6
>Remove DM screen to show players dice
>Even taking half damage, all 3 players were low enough to be killed outright
>Surviving Dwarf fighter, Elf witch, and animal companion of dead ranger finish off demon
>Dwarf trying to heal his friends
>Rolling multiple crits in a row
>It's too late

Funny enough, that's exactly what happened.

Our first few NPC deaths were uneventful. My character was the first to bite it; he tried to defuse a bomb but failed the test so it exploded. He survived through burning points and came back a few months later as a disfigured super soldier.

The second death was uneventful because the PC deliberately killed him off so he could roll something else.

The third death was a little dramatic because it was unexpected. We were fighting fodder enemies and one of them rolled a max damage roll which one-shot a player. The player was a bit of a munchkin and was ass ravaged.

On my latest campaign one player has lost two characters within like 5 sessions. He keeps making squishy characters and through the vagaries of combat has gotten one-shot twice.

>The second death was uneventful because the PC deliberately killed him off so he could roll something else.

I hate it when they do that, but I accomodate them anyway.

"Oh look at that a Hound of Tindalos popped into the dungeon chasing after one of your friends, go ahead and make a heroic sacrifice if you want"

Pretty ignoble desu. My Paladin got decapitated by an Orc at level 2 or 3. The DM was gonna fudge it but I said to just roll with it.
I switched over the to goblin we'd saved and I'd converted, having him be inspired by his mentor's death to become a Cleric. too bad the campaign petered off shortly after that

A Coblin Cleric sounds weird, but Im interested how you would have played that.

>Be really, really oldfag
>Playing DnD 1
>First time playing
>Roll up a fighter.
>This is in the good old days before you got max HP on first level, so I rolled the good old d10 for starting HP
>2
>Going on first adventure
>Find a door leading to the dungeon.
>It's not even locked, just stuck
>Try to shoulder it open.
>Roll under 3 times your strength on percentile dice
>Ok, oops, rolled a 80something. (Had a 17 str)
>Take 1d3 damage
>roll 3
>Die.

>Pathfinder setting
>Party gets a hint saying there is shady shit going on in an abandoned bell tower
>Once we enter, fight some shitty creature, ez
>DM asks for perception rolls, my inquisitor gets a 35 on check because lol +16 perception
>"You find nothing suspicious going on in the room." Cool
>Party decides to go up the stairs to explore some more
>"You notice rubble fall from the ceiling, 5 bells fall towards you. Roll reflex saves"
>Everyone but our summoner fails, each get individual damage rolls.
>Everyone gets like 25-35 in damage, no way any of us are going to die
>Inquisitor takes 51 damage
>only have 41 hp...10 con because fuck con damage from earlier fight
>Inquisitor takes fall damage too because might aswell kick a person while they're already down
>DM describes how my now dead inquisitor is in pieces thanks to the bell thats on top of her

Luckily enough my part took my hand after they finished the bell tower and managed to bring me back to life, but hell man. After all the shit my inquisitor went through (was the 'chosen one' in book two of ROTRL), she gets taken out by a bell. DM keeps making bell jokes now before we start session

It was in a TPK. Party encountered a medusa along with a giant snake and a flesh golem and we were killed to a man because one player had missed the session and two out of four failed their con agains being petrified

What's even the point of asking for a perception check if the target is so stupid high?

My summoner got fireballed by an angry high level mage, who came after the party because our two dick ass rogues killed his sister in a botched break in.

I didn't even know about the break in, it was a random side job they took while we were in town.

Rogues. Not even once. The fuckers survived thanks to evasion too.

> want to play
> get 5 more people instrested, am DM
> 2 Sessions go great, then 2 people quit due to time reasons
> replace with 1 person

> start new chars, party of 4 all lvl 3
> introduce chars to each other for 30 minutes
> they spot 2 owlbears eating smth down the road
> they miss all their shit for 2 turns while the owlbears run up
> both owlbears crit their target
> PCs miss again
> Owlbears finish the party

fuck

>playing DH2
>garden world character, 7+d5 sounds
>roll trash toughness
>roll 1 for add'l sounds

I'm just waiting for the bolt round with my name on it. Won't be as bad as the Crusader I rolled who some dipshit tried to shove past to get into cover whole I had just moved into a doorway. Instead of shoving past me, he shoved me into view of an automated turret. Fuck me, right?

I haven't died yet.

I've had a few characters waste away in dead campaign and never get used again, though.

I've usually never died, it seems like its almost always the game dying that causes the end. That being said.
>WHRP 2ed.
>Barabbas is the Pit Ogre
>Insane rolls coupled with the fact that he's a homebrew race push him to insane levels of power.
>We get into a fight at this Inn near the Drakwald where we defeat somewhere between 40-60 beastmen.
>Barabbas held the gate by hand against like 3 Beastigors and by the end of the night his arm is barely attached but we survive.
>We find the beastmen's camp and rescue some noble's daughter who is pregnant
>We return her and get rewarded this old chateau in the woods.
>Everyone is getting their advanced classes so there is a little timeskip for while people are going off to college and such.
>Barabbas and the Hedge Witch are living together in the chateau alone completely trashing the place and making a big mess sometimes mailing the elf wizard to beg for more money
>The dirty rotten student rats us out and tells the Witch Hunters about us in exchange for 5 gold.
>They show up and lure me away, while away they kidnap the witch.
>A few days pass while they're torturing him and I am writing(drawing) letters to alert the party.
>Witch tells the hunters that the nobleman is a vampire(this is true.)
>They end up taking him and are bringing him back to their headquarters
>Barabbas follows them and while they're stopped at an Inn and are moving the prisoners inside he charges up and starts fighting giving the witch time to slip away.
>Student player reminds the GM that the mercenaries have strike to stun and disarm
>I get memed to death by strike to stun and disarm since I have terrible agility and no head armor.
>In the end Barabbas died saving the only friend that he had.

There was a tribute video.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9Bzj_2YOY

Was the 5 gold worth it in the end?

When we found out it was him he was like "Hey, he's a loyal citizen of the Empire and you shouldn't have been harboring a witch."

I was actually okay with it, I was ready to re-roll and play something else since I had a bunch of fun ideas for interactions with the elf wizard and the rest of the party as a highwayman.

Did you boot the player?

>sign up for Traveller
>PC dies in prison at the age of 72 before hitting the table

How fun is WHRP anyway? Only ever tried the 40k rpgs, but Ive heard the systems are similiar.

To elaborate on that, it was mostly the GM's fault, because he was like "Yeah, but you could have avoided the medusa's gaze if you had backtracked to that one hallway with the pictures on the wall depicting a scene with a medusa: you would've been warned etc etc."

Meanwhile I was there, with my forehead in my hand
>no, it wouldn't have mattered. Why do you think we would backtrack there of all places if we have been in this dungeon for six sessions and that point of the dungeon was 3 sessions in the past?!

But yeah, I mostly blame RNG and I don't even really care that my character died, because now I get to play a trap-a-liscious elf.

Its more broken than 40k RPG. Like, there is a large selection of weapons,classes and options that are pretty much completely fucking useless without some rebalanceing. I eventually bitched and moaned enough that people have agreed to try Zweihander which is a kickstarter game that is suppose to be a "spiritual successor" to WHRP. I haven't played it yet though so I can't tell you if its any better.

I was GMing for a party of 4 lv5 PCs in pf. A ranger, rogue, summoner and oracle. The party was making their way up a snowy mountain to try to find a specific hermit that could help them figure out why otherwordly creatures were flooding into the material plane. During the trip I decided to roll a percentile die to determine how much resistance they would encounter before they reached the top. I got a 100, so I made them face a pretty formidable group of ice elementals. The largest of them managed to knock the rogue prone early on, and she got surrounded and was afraid to get AoO'd, so she couldn't get much done. The summoner, who was fusing with his eidolon, was in melee, and taking a lot of hits. He finally got hit by a crit slam attack from the big guy, got knocked out of his eidolon and died due to having lower constitution in his true form. The ranger and oracle killed off all the elementals a few rounds after. Worst part, they probably could've all made it out alive if the oracle had used his biggest spells earlier in the fight, but I guess nobody can see crits coming. The player who lost his PC was completely ok though, he seems to love making new characters more tham actually playing them. (to my annoyance)

I see no problem with this. As long as everyone is having fun, this is okay.

>Dark Heresy
>Be Feral world Pyromancer
>GM is always kinda brutal for combat, session almost always ends with at least 1 party member burning fate to stay alive, often more
>Party has 2 psykers
>GM decides to set 2 assassins on us, one being a Culexus
>Pyromancer gets hit with psyk-out grenade, goes down immediately, burns fate, but passes toughness test to regain consciousness (he was a surprisingly burly psyker)
>Runs around screaming about his hands being tentacles, at one point thinks he's shrunk, basically just being completely useless because hallucinations and psyk-out
>Culexus is, naturally, targetting only him because the other psyker is in another room
>Meatshields tie up the Culexus for melee, but pyromancer still getting shot at
>Rolling to dodge with my untrained dodge skill and 32 agility score
>Roll under 16 to successfully dodge 3 times in a row
>Finally get blasted, can't burn another fate point

Larl died the way he lived; screaming and on fire

5E, first time in AL
>running through first mission in OotA
>running life cleric dorf. buddy is running half orc klepto swashbuckler.
>entire party of 5 is lvl 1.
>just about getting our shit pushed in every encounter, but survive through to the final chamber
>running tight with regards to time and the lgs we were at, buddy gets "brilliant" idea
>"I want to use my crossbow and all the rope we have to make a zipline over to the exit"
>cavern is absolutely mammoth with a pool at the bottom
>other players egg him on to do it in a flashy manner, essentially trying to shoot and latch on all mid jump.
>shoots the line and it secures, but fails to grab on. proceeds to plummet the 100'+ down.
>my turn; "I use my warhammer to hang on an zip down"
>crit fail
>after a bit of discussion, it is decided that the dorf being more compact caught up to the half orc just before impact
>about to ask why it is important and why it was important we were traveling at terminal velocity, and why our total wieght was important as well
>there is an ooze in the pond we are about to swan dive into
>no dice rolled, dm says us and the ooze are instakilled in a bloody chunky mess
>"We inadvertently ganked the final boss?!"
> rest of party takes the safe way down, offers to scoop our remains out of the ooze and get us rezzed
>we decline due to "Dafuq just happened?!" syndrome
>buddy is still salty about it to this day. i continue to laugh my ass off everytime it is told

I still give lectures about zipline safety in games both as pc and dm

5e. Noble Warlock, don't remember level. Our party goes into a cave and gets surprise attacked by a hag lady disguised as a young lady tied to a chair. We try to fight her, but she possesses our Druid, turns him into a bear and mauls my PC to death. The witch was eventually killed by our Cleric of all people, but afterwards the Druid decided to run into the forest and never encounter civilization again, ashamed of his murder.

>messing around with magic artifacts, in a giant bedroom being idiots as usual
>pick up a dragon statue since my character is really interested in them
>dwarf picks up horse one for some reason
>they crack and twist as we start going pale
>leave as fast as possible
>gigantic metal spider, shadow dragon and a flaming death horse fall from the ceiling
>oh noey
>I get MC'ed in the second round
>druid has his animal forms as spirits around him and they're attacking stuff, mainly me, as we hate each other and he finally has reason to bust my balls
>dwarf bro goes down twice
>I go down get revived and start suggesting we bail
>fight starts going better
>suddenly druid gets bodied by the horse
>goes down
>manage to hide like a coward
>druid crit fails his saving throw twice
>spirits disappear
>grab unconscious dwarf bro and get out of there
I manage to guilt trip the local druid cult into reviving him with some of that old rogue charm, along with some elemental artifacts we had laying around. We still had to do a job reviving a local clearing afterwards.

>druid ashamed of killing a warlock

Top kek.

My first character died on the second encounter of the first dungeon. Crit with a warhammer for max damage and the crit rolled stunned him for three turns. He got hit two more times in those turns and failed all his saves and died. Absolutely the most pathetic thing I have ever gone through in tabletop.

Storytime!

I don't even know, he was probably hoping one of us would specifically ask about the stairs or the ceiling. It was stupid, but all we lost from it was like 10k gold or something to bring my inquisitor back to life

My first PC death was when my lvl 1 thief got shot by a crossbow in The Village of Hommlet

Context: took place during the 5e play test when the game was just called DND Next, and we were doing the Crypt of the Dracolich adventure where you're supposed to be trying to take down said dracolich with five other tables of adventurers. Problem is that we were in a tiny as fuck store as well nobody except our table came.

> Playing a dorf paladin, a bit naive but heart of gold
> get hired by wizard to clear out dungeon and grab lady artifact
>scrape by first encounter with well timed Entagle
>fight through dungeon, find artefact
>suddenly, bald BBEG jumps us
>We decide to book it outta there, I shit out on initative
>combined with dorf speed, I am the last one out near he exit hall.
>Bald bad guy shows up with a golem and more goons, I know that I'm not gunna make it, use last spell to entangle them.
>they all succeed, proceed to beat my shit in
>die knowing at least I bought time for the party to escape

I'm happy that I at least died a valorous death for my first character biting the dust. I had worse ways of dying after, such as tpk by teleport