EDH/Commander General

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What is your favorite MTG artist and what is hi/her most underrated piece in your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
mtggoldfish.com/price/Sealed Product/Commander 2014 Built from Scratch#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-07-17-ramp/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tree-4-all/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-06-17-scarab-god/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>no discord link

Shit thread no one bother to post

idk about underrated but i really like nils hamm

Fuck that Cancerous shit.

Is this card good in artifact strats? You can sac it after you use all the wishes and then recur it for more tutoring.

no fuck off

What do you recommend, then?

>No discord link

Based OP.

Favorite artist: Rebecca Guay
Most Underrated piece: probably Kaysa. She's got a lot of "random wistful chick" pieces but Kaysa has, to me at least, always had a little more emotion and mystery than most of the examples of that particular composition she does so well. In fact, I find myself really enjoying her Alliances through Exodus work better than her later stuff, though she still had really good work like Promo Path and the sadly-unplayable-anywhere FTV Channel.

No, Ring is shit tier. I'd rather use Planar Portal and even that's not that great.
I fucking hate having million counters on the field on every goddamn permanent, which is why I stopped using vivids as well.
The counters make it worse, since it's a shit card anyway.

Don't be silly, you can still play Channel in Cube! Or Canadian Highlander!

>favorite artist
Definitely RKF. So glad they kept his art for the Desertion reprints.

Ignore that shithead imo. Ring is fine enough if you can recur it, like you said. And how many tutors do people actually get out of a planar portal before it gets? At least this one saves you a mana on cost and activation.

Is it amazing? No. There's better tutors. But for a budget deck or lower-power meta, definitely alright. I usually have one out by turn 3 in my shitty kozi deck and get good mileage out of it.

Guay also has the best Dark Ritual. Not sure why anyone would run the other artworks except for nostalgia with the ABUR version.

Depends on the playgroup. In a casual meta, yeah. It's nowhere near competitive standards, though.

Go away.

>tfw no jund lands matter/Landfall commander
I want to play Omnath, Mina and Denn and Gitrog in the same deck with some actual synergy, damnit

Planar portal used to be one of three cards that went into every deck I built (only one, Sol Ring, still does). While I've since left it behind, it's a fairly comparable card to Ro3W so let's compare them shall we

Ring, compared to portal
+ 1 mana cheaper to cast
+ 1 mana cheaper to activate
- Limited uses
- Can't go infinite with it as easily

If you see yourself sacrificing and recurring it, or tutoring 3 or fewer times for the whole game, the ring is better. If you're doing some Paradox Engine insanity or don't have a combo and want it just to emergency fish for answers, you want Portal.

There are better options, but few nearly so versatile on a budget.

This thing has way more value in a deck with Daretti and Welder in it aswell.

>Question
Based Daarken, great guy and great artist
Best card probably Fetid Heath

Agree, I should pick up a playset of these already.

>What is your favorite MTG artist and what is hi/her most underrated piece in your opinion?
Tough to pick, but probably Kev Walker. Bump in the Night is an amazing piece.

>ywn see a good Jund commander with a strategy different than "saccing matters"
Life as a Jundfag is suffering

I have a legitimate boner for Swanland

At least shit's viable. Life is truly suffering with Boros and every commander being LMAO COMBAT, instead of anything worthwhile

Ask your playgroup if you can run this guy. White's not so big on landfall, but Karametra and Emmeria Shepherd are worth it

Is there a cat that lets you drop a creature from your hand for like four mana?

Would Scarab God or Grimgrin be better for zombie tribal?

Don't want to get into /ccg/-tier shit, but for fuck's sake, can't we get some boros commanders that can tutor shit, or stax, or pillowfort, or spellsling, or SOMETHING OTHER THAN PLAY DUEDS TURN SIDEWAYS?!?!!?!?

amy weber

either clockwork steed, divine intervention, high tide, icy manipulator..... i really cant decide ilove them all

Either Scarab God or Gisa&Geralf

Scarab God is definitely more versatile and has the added potential of shutting down opponents' graveyard-based decks.
I would also consider Sedris for the third color.

That doesn't find cards. Ramping is good and all, but that and Ring have entirely different functions.

what other cards nullify the exile that unearthed cards go through? I want to run series but I'm also really greedy with my cards.

dude FLING LMAO

Sundial of the Infinite

Well, this stops the end-of-turn exile trigger, although it doesn't stop creatures from being exiled if they leave the battlefield. Exiling cards from your deck doesn't have to be bad if you do it to clinch a win.

Man, two options? I'm trying to find things that reset the creature that cover my entire side of the field and not stuff that can only target one creature at a time. Thanks guys.

Deadeye, conjurers closet, any blink effect that exiles.

thanks user, making a list and I'll be doing some more research too.

I wasn't saying it got you more cards, I'm saying this card gets much better than a two use signet in a deck with sac and recursion. It's essentially a second Izzet Signet in this build.

Worldgorger + animate dead.

Make infinite mana, let Worldgorger die, exhume as many creatures as you can, exhume worldgorger.

Worldgorger goes into exile at the end of turn and you get everything back permanently.

This with Roon does permanently exile opponents creatures.

I want to make a Gwafa Hazid (((themed))) EDH deck. Anyone have suggestions as to what to put in? Flavor is more important than function, which is to say I intend to run silly shit like Icatian Moneychanger and Conjured Currency.
Interdasting. I have a Roon deck and a Sundial in my binder. I'll strongly consider running it; I don't know why it didn't cross my mind earlier.

Sorry, I might be retarded (Im pretty certain I am) but can someone explain phasing to me? is it exile? what

You're not retarded, it's a silly and old mechanic. Nothing to do with exile or zones of play, you literally just treat the cards as though they don't exist. Phased-out permanents phase in at the beginning of the next untap step, and permanents with phasing phase out. It doesn't trigger any ETB effects.

TL;DR phasing only lets a player have their permanent every other turn.

>Kaysa

My motherfucking nigga

Phased Out/Phased In is a status like tapped/untapped.

On a player's untap step, before untapping permanents, phased-out permanents they control phase in. Simultaneously, anything they have with phasing that's phased in phases out.

When a permanent phases out, anything attached to it phases out "indirectly" (so auras and equipment don't fall off) Something phased out indirectly only phases in with whatever it was attached to

If a token phases out, it ceases to exist. (with the above, anything attached to a token when the token phases out NEVER COMES BACK)

While a permanent is phased out, it's treated as though it doesn't exist. Just ignore it for everything.

has the right short version, but there are some weird interactions that are fun to play with.

You're a silly and old mechanic. Phasing is fine.

I've recently put this together, It's basically "oh look, it's turn 5, and everyone else is panicking because I just slammed down multiple big ass artifact/eldrazi creatures on the field for practically free." (don't do this if you don't want Rakdos eating ALL the removal.)

Good suggestion, good goy! *rubbeddi rub*
Consider running this with any creatures with "X" in their mana costs.

Haha, OP you seemed to have forgotten to include the Discord info. Here is the link.

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

It's an honest mistake though so don't beat yourself up about it. Just try to remember for next time.

Running that in foil, god it's delicious.

I'm thinking of getting into commander and was wondering if this is a good start.
mtggoldfish.com/price/Sealed Product/Commander 2014 Built from Scratch#paper

Absolutely, it's one of the most fun precons Wizards has put together.

When you play Kaalia, do you guys play dragons, demons, or angels?

Angels, with only a couple of the best of the others. Master of Cruelties, for instance.

I liked it. Even if you dont end up keeping it intact it gets you a lot of cards you can use elsewhere because of the artifacts. Plus you get wurmcoil engine.

DRAGONS, because any other answer is wrong.

Any spicy deck tech for ambassador cock block here

Do you think we'll ever get a new Conspiracy set?
Sorry for the off topic question, just noticed the sheer amount of card I run from those two sets and kind of want more.
Plus they were fun to draft.

Are the little one-drop mana dudes (like llanowar elves and all the identical cards) worth including in a ramp-focused deck?

Yea

help me cut the bad creatures

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-07-17-ramp/

>unironically defending discord
It's like you don't even know your on an anonymous Taiwanese fishnets board

Discord shills btfo lol

doubt it, conspiracy 2 didnt sell well even though its probably the best set to come out in recent memory cause wizards put out way to much product

>new players only understand stoic/smirking warrior girls in front of a landscape

Hatebears or Stax?

Stax

Everyone hates stax, stax for sure

Fuck, Conspiracy is my favorite cycle of sets, so many cool commanders.
>Brago
>Both Marchesa
>Both Grenzo
>GW Selvala

So I'm thinking about adding leyline of anticipation and vedalken orrery to my newzuri deck. Seed borne muse was also a strong conaideration, are there any other cards in green or blue with her effect?

As far as leyline and the orrery I'm thinking of cutting fable of wolf and owl as well as pbyrexian swarmlord, both cards that have never been impactful in my games

Also it had an incredibly short time in the spotlight since it was shoved between regular sets. On the plus side I was able to pick up a case for cheap and it is a blast to draft when you to mix things up with your play group.

Prophet of Kru...

Adriana

It's nice art but what about that conveys desertion?

Todd Lockwood, and Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet.

>Leovold
Also both Selvala's are from Conspiracy sets, Mono G Selvala is from CN2.

My brother of high melanin concentration.

Prophet of krufucking banned

When building a 3 color non green manabase, how highly do you prioritize Reflecting pool? I only have 4 basics in my deck, and am thinking about cutting it for another basic.

i'm a verified noob and i don't know what i'm doing

how does this doran deck look? i have no idea how many dorks/wipes/etc to put in. it's just a mess right now. please don't be mean.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tree-4-all/

I just got a Queen Marchesa deck rolling and I'm loving it but it needs to be more lethal. I also love the monarch mechanic and love pushing it into my playgroup via her and my Darien, King of Kjeldor deck where I goddamn NEED you to hit me (almost) as hard as you can.

I need to cut 2 cards to fit more counterspells, what to cut?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-06-17-scarab-god/

Sram, Redskin (RW)
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Advisor
Whenever you cast an Aura, Equipment, or Vehicle spell, draw a card.
2/2

There I fixed Boros. Now to build a time machine to make it happen.

You want ramp that gives you lands more than dorks, stuff like Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Nature's Lore, Skyshroud Claim, Farseek, Explosive Vegetation etc, remember that board wipes are extremely common in EDH, mana dorks are pretty weak and vulnerable and it's better not to use them save for some special cases (like with Ruric Thar). If you still want to go for dorks then i suggest you look into the ones that give you more than one mana like Somberwald Sage (for creature heavy decks), Shaman of Forgotten Ways (also wincon in a creature heavy deck) and Bloom Tender

>You want ramp that gives you lands more than dorks, stuff like Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Nature's Lore, Skyshroud Claim, Farseek, Explosive Vegetation etc, remember that board wipes are extremely common in EDH,
i had heard this before. what about stuff like treespeaker and gyre sage that can add more than one mana? should i just take out the 1-mana dorks or lose all of them?

i currently have 6 straight up 1 mana dorks. (including bop)

They are still vulnerable, i would lose them completely in favor of artifact/spell based ramp unless you're going for some niche Primal Surge build that requires you to only play permanents

>cast
make it ETB and we have a deal

The problem with the two weakest decks from 2015 is that they required casting, where as the two strongest Mizzix is debatable required ETB or simply dying.

How do I build this chick?

>bait
What part?
Blaxos/Kalemne being the absolute worst, or Mizzix being intermediate to high depending on how tuned it is?
You can't possibly think a deck that can shit out XP counters for playing an awakening zone/sakura tribe elder (a single spell, WHILE ramping mind you) is below the slug-paced tier that is casting maybe 1 or 2 enchantments a turn and lol5dropsfor1XPcounter.dek

ETB draw on aura/equip/vehicle wouldn't be nearly as broken. Puresteel + baby's sage's reverie isn't a game ender.

Sram already exists.

Also, cast trigger a best.

The conversation is about remaking sram as a better boros card.
Cast is inferior to ETB for mass triggers user. It's more resilient to disruption but pales in comparison to the amount of abuse potential. Everyone knows this.

Not that user but you're wrong, and also a little right. ETB can be better, but your example is shit because you used Blaxos who requires enchantments, and Kaleme who requires huge creatures, both of which are typically more expensive to cast than equipment. Cast triggers happen no matter what usually, etb can be countered completely. Casting a 0 drop bone saw and getting a draw no matter what is vastly superior to etb.

she builds you, worm

Your argument hinges on the relevance of 0 drop equipment and ignores the multitiude of cards in white that recurr/bounce artifacts&enchantments that are actually worth playing for very little added effort. Suntitan is already staple, now he cantrips on etb and attack. Replenish/open the vaults now also replenishes your hand. Starfield of nyx/skybind gives you repeatable draw out of your permanents. A cheesey and easily dismantled RW storm deck isnt convincing enough.

>Worrying about people countering bone saw

No, you are wrong. The value in etb is getting crazy value off of stuff like open the vaults, replenish, and stonehewer, and auriok salvagers.

I would go so far as to say if some idiot wants to counter your 0cmc equipment it's always in your favor. You are trading card for card, but you lost no tempo, and then it's in your yard for recursion bullshit.