Malifaux General

Drown 'em in rats edition

>Books
Malifaux (Including Ripples of Fate): mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach (Complete): mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - Just announced

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Link to the previous general:

Other urls found in this thread:

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/129040-monday-preview-july-17th/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anyone running a shifting loyalties campaign? If so qwhat's your most tricked out model?

If I am using pandora and use a lure would the model check to see if it's in pandora's aura before or after the move?

>Not drown them in cats

Got say though, that is definitely Hamelin's best sculpt.

The plastic version of the sculpt is even better. They made him a bit bigger and did a really good job at defining some of the smaller features like his fingers.

I love the subtle body horror to Hamelin, like the way he speaks without moving his mouth or how his legs bend roughly the way Plague recalls knees working.

He reminds me of the cockroach in the first Men in black movie.

I'm going to get into one some time in the next couple of months.

Apparently the last one was dominated by a Sabretooth Cerberus with a Gatling Gun.
Such manouevrable firepower was not meant for man nor beast.

>Got say though, that is definitely Hamelin's best sculpt.
I think pretty much that whole generation is better than the current. Pic very Related.
Excluding Doug, obviously.

What is a good way of starting Ramos? After the crew box I guess another Arachnid box but what should come after?

Electric Creation
After that - whatever you want. For example, you can take Johan, who is not only very good tough face-beater for a mere 7ss, but also can heal and remove conditions.

>rats
>not cats
You had one job, user.

So I kind of want to run them but am unsure, who would be best to take poison gamin with?

Sandeep can summon them, and Kudra can place Poison on other models for them. So, Sandeep, probably.

aye, follow up, is Sandeep difficult to learn? A lot of the things he has and can do appeal but I am not sure if I should dive straight into a new guy when I haven't played in a while.

He is considered to be a difficult to learn (but powerful) master. I don't play arcanists, so I can not confirm or deny this statement. But at the end of the day every new master should be learned, and, since it's not a nuclear physics, after some time every master will be, well, mastered. So "difficulty to learn" factor has little value.

Fair enough, and I appreciate that logic, thanks mate.

not mine
up

Pretty horrifying. I like it.

That's true, but since masters are much more straight forward, and since have some hidden tricks.

Like I just realized that Somer can squeal away from disengaging strikes.

>Electric Creation
Really?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone take the EC upgrade, and the only time I see them used is a single Electric Creation as a T1 scrap generator.

That's not to say they don't have their place, or that Electrical Summoning isn't a good choice, I just haven't seen it.

Skipping straight to Johan seems more logical to me, unless you want the EC option for a Mechanical Rider summon too.

Aren't they Beasts?
Poison Marcus is supposed to be ok.

>Somer can squeal away from disengaging strikes.
I'm about 65% sure you can't use Df Triggers on Disengaging strikes.

> only time I see them used is a single Electric Creation as a T1 scrap generator.
This is why I suggest taking EC. Not for summoning one with upgrade, but to hire it, kill and use as a cheap and quick spiders source in turn one.

I may have cheated then.
I'll have to check the rulebook when I get home.

>I may have cheated then.
Ish.

I think it was FAQ'd a year or two back - pg29 of the 30/03/2017 .pdf clarified to "no-one gets triggers".
Not sure of the earliest date it was officially FAQ'd that way.

It's only in the rule book (big or little) as
>"A Disengaging Strike deals no Damage, has no other effect, and may not declare any Triggers"
though, which reads pretty clearly as
>"attackers get no Triggers"
with no mention of defenders.

I guess it's not terribly realistic to expect them to fuck up their publishing shit by changing the online versions, but it is a bit irritating that it's wrong.
Has anyone bought a digital copy recently (last few months) and can check?

Ah. That's good. I feel less bad about cheating, if I wasn't actually cheating by raw.

Is the faq on wyrd's website?

Yes, the latest FAQ is on Wyrd's website. I am honestly glad to see the disengaging strike trigger thing cleared up in this thread.

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/129040-monday-preview-july-17th/

Well, I mean, you .were. cheating by RAW - the FAQs are legal from publication.
Wyrd are just constrained by the difficulties of distributing such things, so you weren't to know.

I am waaay unconvinced by this model.
Not visually interesting, and also looks more like a fat serial killer than an investigator, corrupt or otherwise.
The woman looks a lot better, though the art continues to creep to far into obviously charicature-y for my tastes.

What do you mean by charicature-y?

poison gamin are beasts yes, only question is who to take that can also benefit from opponents having the poison condition.

So i'm just making sure, my mysterious emisarry doesnt have a dedicated upgrade for Titania ? she can only take the upgrade avaible to all neverborn masters ?

Nope, she came out after the emissary.
Rumor has it that the new book will have one for the new masters

Are there not a bunch of beasts that do?
Many of the Ressur ones?
Also Performers.

Correct, no Titania COnflux yet.

Exaggerated anatomical shapes that real humans would not have.
Particularly faces.
Like a caricature.

Neat. Don't know how I feel about the fat guy, seems a little too obviously evil.
I'd probably model him without the hand and viscera sticking out, so it's only implied that there is a body in the rug.

I mean being evil is one thing, being evil AND incompetent is just going to far.

>Well, I mean, you .were. cheating by RAW
Not by the RAW of materials I had on hand.

Yup. None of the most recent masters have an emissary upgrade yet. We might see it next wave.

Ah, thanks anons.
Atleast the mysterious conflux is still usefull for my Titania crew

I'd need to poke through the books double check which beasts do, though there is the scorpius so for poison marcus, that and group of poison gamin along with some of his regulars.

The new book won't have new conflux upgrades. Maybe they will show up in book 6.

I'm cool with that too.
The new masters don't really need a buff. They're pretty stronk as is.

I'd say the same. The Carrion Emissary for instance is already an autoinclude for Reva. Giving it a conflux upgrade that would actually benefit Reva would be too much.

Could just give them meh upgrades and call it a day.
Nico's upgrade for example, is much shit.

Fair enough. If it interacted with the soulbound upgrade I don't think that anyone would riot.

I'd be cool with that. Maybe even have it do the same sort of thing as the shield bearers.
>When this model is reduced to 0 wounds, Discard this upgrade attach a soulbound upgrade and make a 1/2/3 healing flip
Or something.

Canine Remains are what I was thinking of - 1AP charges against targets with Poison.
They can also hand out Beast offensively, which is situationally handy.

Night Terrors are cheap as fuck too, though they aren't Poison-y.

I didn't even think of canine remains, with the chance for Rabies they do actually seem like a fair idea for Marcus if you are trying to do some Alpha nonsense. it's weird how much resser stuff can fit into other factions when you look at it.

Not that it's the best attack, but the Copycat Killer can take multiple shots with its Flintlock a round right? It doesn't look to have the same limitation as Seamus.

Shikome are also pretty poison-y, on top of all the spirit stuff.

Iirc he can. I think you generally want to focus unless you've got a shot on someone out of cover (which happens approximately never in my games).

Indeed, she is worth looking at for Mcmourning players who want to try spirits while sticking with his strengths.

Ha, i too have come to the idea of poison Marcus crew some time ago, Scorpius IS the thing. Also Performer because of Take a Sip triggeron attack.

They're one of the staples in my Marcus crew. They're cheap, move fast enough and hardy enough for scheme running, and their presence gives the possibility for both beast characteristic and a -1 Df to the enemy.

Once I switched from Guild Hounds I never looked back.

How do they compare with corrupted hounds?
I'm trying to figure out which hounds to bring with nix

If you'd like to be the silliest, give adversary with shikome while hiring the snow storm. Turns snow into a really, really scary model.

Their main advantage is that they are significant, while being slightly more expensive. They are good scheme runners, better than the molemen in that department IMO.

I think Gremlins look fun, but the terrible internal faction balance puts me off. There's objectively better choices, and a lot of models are just not worth taking ever.

Is the Scorpius actually good? Just because it's got the strongest poison theme doesn't necessarily make it the strongest model for a poison list.

On a lore point, exactly how much necromancy do the Death Marshals actually learn? It's kind of odd they get the flaming skulls but Ressers don't.

Thanks anons, gonna try and put a list together see how it feels and will ask for additions or subtractions in a bit.

What are scheme markers for? What's the advantage of having a bunch of them?

They win you games. A lot of the strategies and schemes require you to place them. Just tabling your opponent won't necessarily win you the match.

How does this look for poison Marcus

3 Canine remains-12 ss
Jackalope-2 ss
2 poison gamin-10 ss
scorpious-6 ss

At 30 SS on the nose with this, is there anything that would be good to add or take out?

randomly; does Mei Feng have prosthetic arms or are those just cool battle gauntlets? Do we know?

no one, they are actual trash.Even shit with poison Marcus.

Scorpius is a contender for worst model in the game, it's way too fucking slow for what it needs to do.

If you want to play Poison Marcus use some canine remains, rattler and a shikome, fill the crew out with Myranda, Cerberus and a few other things. The idea is to use the rattler and canine remains to quickly apply poison to enemies so that the shikome can charge for (1). Myranda and the Cerberus are there because they're just too good to pass on.

This crew hits like a wet noodle and the damage from poison isn't substantial. Get a Shikome and drop the gamin at the very least.

And where are Marcus' upgrades? Trail of the gods at the least. Where is Myranda?

uses magic to encase her arms in metal if iirc.

Battle gauntlets.
I don't think it would work quite as well if she was mothr of the forge but a steamborg herself.

In my head the ranged Poison attack was longer ranged and had the poison built in.
8" and Poison +1 on a trigger is fucking poor.

I was thinking they'd be useful to spit Poison to set up a big charging turn from two or three Canine Remains to get the line of battle pushed further into the opponent's half early Turn 2, but actually they are just bad.

>And where are Marcus' upgrades? Trail of the gods at the least. Where is Myranda?
I'd imagine they are in the remaining 20ss he mentioned.

knew I was forgetting stuff, what I get for list making while drunk.
This look any better
Marcus-Trail 1ss
myranda-skinwalker 9ss
jackalope-2ss
shikome-8ss
3 canine remains-12ss
39 as this so can fill in something or pull a canine as needed.

I appreciate the thought but looking at them, unless you are working gamin spam with Sandeep they aren't worth it for just gimmick fun.

So what is Myranda going to skinwalk from? desu it's probably best to have her start on the table so she can give your beasts + flips to defensive duels as they advance up the board. Most people run her with imbued energies so you can draw 1000 cards when she shapeshifts.

Overall though, a much better looking list.

The big issue is that they are a 5ss minion, a canine remains is 4ss and the infect trigger is not built in on the gamins ranged attack.

Was thinking the canine remains, but you are right in that it would help them run if she had imbued energies, thanks user.

Yeah, I guess with Sandeep you can drop them in the middle of the enemy crew and chuck a bit of poison about, and then a bit more when it dies.
Still just not as good as Fire for damage output or Metal for resilience.

What are the limitations on Skinwalker?
Can a Raptor pop her up in the enemy deployment zone Turn 2?
That would be dead handy against some crews, and for some strats.

Also, picrelated.

Skinwalker is a beast must die, be sacrificed or buried while she is buried, then she can come up in base contact with that model

Yes, Myranda starts the game buried, when a friendly beast is killed, buried or sacrificed she unburies in base contact with it. When a raptor uses it's (2) to bury you can then unbury Myranda, this way you don't lose the raptor.

So the bird flies 16" up the board on turn 1, then start of turn 2 it buries and Myranda pops out good to go. Situationally useful.

Or use the (2) action twice, of course.

Jackalope both hilarious and useless. He can be used as a source of disengaging strikes on enemy model, that recently killed your model. But most of the time it's just wasted 2ss. Better spend them on two more Imbued Energies or Arcane Reservoir

The counts at AWP are at it again... We sure do have some shitbirds in our community.

What's up?

Poison Marcus is rumored to be getting a bump come GenCon

Morons flamed a jackass. Now there's a touchy feely "People were mean to a dickhead for no reason, no bully plz" circle jerk.

Fuck those fags.

Sounds about right.

Hopefully they keep pushing Spirit Molly, so Wyrd will continue buffing Horror Molly.

"Wind gamin are the most broken thing in the game!" they shout unironically while Hamlin, Somer and Nellie giggle in the background.

Does Sonnia really only have a single limited upgrade?

Yes. But there is also 1 general limited leader upgrade in Guild

Yeah. It is a bit annoying.

I still love playing Gremlins though. Not every list has to be hyper competitive.

Been meaning to make my own scheme and corpse markers, but I've been extra lazy.

Who produces these ones?

>Arcanist book with tentacles

That's actually seriously underrepresented in Arcanists. Where's the Arc/NB tentacle monster model?

I think I would have preferred a bottle of hooch for Gremlins.
Most of the tentacley things I can think of are in neverborn.

42 SS Guild Crew
Hoffman + 3 Pool
- Arcanist Assets (1)
- Field Mechanic (2)
- On Site Assimiliation (2)
Mechanical Attendant (2)
Ryle (10)
- A Debt To The Guild (1)
Joss (10)
- A Debt To The Guild (1)
Brutal Emissary (10)
- Conflux of Amalgamation (0)
Mobile Toolkit (3)

Pretty cool framework for a Hoffman list.

I was going to double check that - if it was "The first time a friendly Beast dies/sacs/buries" then it would be a garbage upgrade.

God they are all the fucking worst.
If it wasn't for the occasional genuinely excellent model, I would happily un-sub.
Of course, there's a lot of shit there too.

To be fair to the Somer guy, he does at least acknowledge that he is probably above the curve.

Yes and no.
We don't need aother "Lovecraft-derivative shite" game added to the Veeky Forums to the milieu.
But it is also glaringly absent, given the hoovering up of references the rest of the setting is composed of.

Delete that picture. Literally worse than the people who run MLP Brettonians.

Really love Sandeep's aesthetic, so I'd like to pick him up despite his learning curve and power level. What would be the best supplementary purchases right off? More Gamin? Oxford Mages?

Probably wind gamin as summons. Other gamin can be handy as well.

My thinking was that with skinwalker Myranda, it gives one more thing to pop out of because it's existence is to be annoying and then die.

I was pretty damn irritated when I saw and saved it.
There are dozens if not hundreds of Bongs all across Bongland that can't get their hands on Reva at their local game shop, and some fucknut out there is painting one up as part of a multi-Master MLP set.

Winds me the fuck up.

He does surprisingly good damage on the charge.
As in, if your opponent forgets and kills something in a position that will give the Jackalope a charge, two min 3 attacks can fuck a day up.

>As in, if your opponent forgets and kills something in a position that will give the Jackalope a charge, two min 3 attacks can fuck a day up.
This. He might not be amazing, but if the opponent ignores him, he can put out a lot of damage for a cheap model.

That is one thing I forget about him, he is a great charge model, I have lost games to that very fact.