/btg/ - BattleTech General

Urbie or Bust! edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-07-09 - Still getting worked on & now has 13605 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-06-06!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/battletech/products/battletech-second-succession-war-pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hyper Kinetic Rabbity Thing sensors active.

>and here we see the Strana Mechty Happy Bunny being preyed upon by its natual hunter, the Green Cockfalcon.

Do you even Sam and Max?

Apparently not, though I see it now.

Who here uses miniature rules for TW. I can't find any batreps for it and I'd like to know who else but my group does it.

Nope, just hexes. We tried once but it bogged down in arguing over LOS.

We do use 3-D hexed maps rather than just the printed ones though.

I used to have a table a long time ago that I custom built to play Battletech on using the Miniature Rules. It was... 4'x6' I think? It worked okay, but yeah, a lot of futzing with the LOS rules. Of course, back then we used the BMR, so things might be different now. It was alright though. Wish I had the space and time to build another one.

>And I wouldn't be here without the efforts of my teachers.

If you don't work directly in a STEM field, you shouldn't be anywhere at all. Especially here. Non-STEM aren't really even people. They're all just completely irrelevant to the furtherment of humanity.

Yeah yeah, go have a wank or something.

You sound motivated and dedicated. Come to Finland, I am sure we can work something out.

Or don't , the current finnish goverment is actively trying to kill the standards of education we have at the moment for some reason, seriously the prime minister seems to down right hostile to any academic work.

Least it's better than being America,

t. Britfag.

Hey /btg/, remember when we made a mech that would actually work for the one Spheroids "No Lance, only Swarms of Lights." tactic?

I believe it was as simple as taking the weapons from the three mechs he used with this trick with and bunging them into one chassis.

Well, he is both an american-styled christian doomsday cultist and a get-rich-quick nouveau riche market gambler afterall. Toxic to everything reminiscent of an ordered, optimistic and fair society.

>he said talking on an American image board about an American game

britcucks are the worst

>an American image board copied from Japan about an American game copied from Japan
fixed that for you

So, what faction has the best educational system? Does GOAST BURR bias apply to that too?

That guy has patrician taste in comics.

Best for top end is the Suns, far and away. They also have Skid Row/The Outback which gets neglected pretty badly and drags down their overall rates.

TC has the best literacy rates but derps out pretty hard after teaching people to read. Higher education is pretty shitty.

MoC has the best medical program outside the Clans.

Dracs have the shittiest educational system overall. Military programs are (allegedly-NACMA gets better stats) the best in the Sphere but unless you're nobility or from a rich, connected family you're unlikely to get much past primary school.

Best overall is probably either the Lyrans or FWL.

So depends on the area or how you mean the question,

And since FWL is kaboomsi, we can arrive at the end-result of Lyrans being at the top.

It's kind of a mixed bag
The taurians had the best system for the average josé, at least before they blasted with the retard hose and fistfucked to death, and are in the periphery anyway and you said IS
The suns have the clear best high-end education, but that's only in a few places, while they have just about the worst in a much greater number of places
probably the lyrans or FWL would have the best education system in the IS proper, though by the Darkest Age the stoners' magic probably means that they somehow pulled super education out of their asses

>Stoner super education

It's called sending your kids to Comstar College in Australia.

>fire-blackened spaghetti

HAAH WAAH WAAW WAAH HAAH

Oh god this writing is glorious.

>yfw you realize if Clan Wolf had not single-handedly equipped Wolf's Dragoons then later on after the Refusal War they would have had the gear to arm 2-3 full galaxies of troops

ffs

CGL dead??

Yes, if Dragonfire does not sell.

>people to read. Higher education is pretty shitty.
>MoC has the best medical program outside the Clans.
>Dracs have the shittiest educational system overall. Military programs are (allegedly-NACMA gets better stats) the best in the Sphere but unless you're nobility or from a rich, connected family you're unlikely to get much past primary school.
>Best overall is probably either the Lyrans or FWL.
>So depends on the area or how you mean the question,

IIRC from Handbook: FWL, higher education is waaaay oriented to bussiness.

Two points
1) Most of the stuff given to the Dragoons where what Wolves considered to be 2nd or 3rd rate at best, most of them being mothballed designs going all the way back to Exodus, worn out machines that got refurbished a bit. The only really big thing where the Warships that where given to the Dragoons

2) Clan Wolf was Warden Clan meaning that the Invasion to Inner Sphere was something they wheren't going to take part of or atleast wouldn't have if it wheren't for the machinations of the Smoke Jaguars and Jade Cocks ensuring that the Clan Wolf would take part in the Operation Revival.

I bet they would have been just happy watching on the sidelines all the Crusader Clans fumble through it, getting their shit kicked in even harder than they did, Ulric popping popcorn and laughing his ass off to the Smoke Jaguars and other Crusaders fuming in the Grand Council on how badly they have fucked up.

Nonsense! Dragon Fire sells like hotcakes! House Kurita, House Steiner, ComCast, even House Dracula buy Dragon Fires hand over fist!

What do we even know of how much of the Goons' clantech was brought along, and how much was manufactured from schematics in the IS itself?

Just saying, the amount of gear was ridiculous looking back. I guess it's no wonder the Falcons bounced back with supplies caches and the Wolves under Vlad never did.

This is what I love most about battletech vs something like 40k.theres no stopping tin the middle of the game to argue about whether or not you can actually see what you're shooting at.

Instead you just stop because it's been two hours and the rolls for fire mean that you've just finished turn 3

Don't forget the Wolves-in-Exile were gifted a load of stuff by Ulric. That lack of gear hurt the real Wolves in the years to come.

Like the Werewolf? A McKenna that was never mentioned before until Phelan's special snowflake Clan subfaction got started.

Plus I think the W-i-E got factories in a trial with the Bears. Might be misremembering that part.

why are battle tech fans so obsessed with the urbanmech? It's a walking trashcan

>It's a walking trashcan
That's its appeal

It's because we're all trash on the inside. You belong here.

All the previously stated facts are correct, but it's also like a... battletech rubik's cube of stupid. You always have to do some headwork on how to use your units in their current enviroment, but for urbies, it's always even harder. And you feel super satisfied with yourself when you get one to work.

According to solid canon, they didn't bring anything bar IntroTech when they first arrived. Even Natasha's potentially LosTech Marauder only gets those stats in a book of canon rumours and might have been refitted by the Bounty Hunter rather than Natasha.

They only start building Clan gear on Outreach after their last contact with the Clans, and that didn't happen immediately either. The facilities had to be refitted first.

Thing is, the Falcons whipping stuff out of their ass is pretty anomalous to begin with when you look at the rebuilding of others who were hit hard and coincides with Elias Crichell's magical foresight Sibkos who just so happen to be ready in such numbers as to make the rebuilding process possible in the first place. I think it has a lot more to do with having someone on the writing team being willing to argue their case than anything else.

Bears lost a mobile factory and gained Ragnar. Three guesses who got the better end of that deal.

>Bears lost a mobile factory
was that the lupus major space station?

>Bears lost a mobile factory
>was that the lupus major space station?

No. It's never lupus.

NEA, do you know if the Werewolf (McKenna class battleship) ever appeared in canon before the Wolves in Exile were formed?

Urbies are great and making configs for them is great. Urbie IIC is blasphemy with its 3/5 movement profile.

Quick, everyone post your dankest Urbs.

Holy fuck that's a dank urbie.

As far as I'm aware, the earliest sourcebook mention of the Werewolf was in FM: Warden Clans. It *may* be mentioned in the Clan Wolf phonebook somewhere, but that source is pretty bad about accounting for WarShips.

While we're on the topic, how would you rate the various SL-era battleships? Aside from the McKenna, which everyone already knows is great

Rated how? Against what? In what context?

The latter is particularly important, because of the ludicrous material advantage the SLN had over the Houses. SovSoys are a perfect example. One SovSoy sucks. When you put 8 SovSoys against a single House WarShip (which is, frankly, a reasonable historical scenario), the SovSoys are still going to win, even thought they individually suck. Meanwhile, if you view WarShip combat through the lens of Jihad-era play, that material advantage is completely gone and so ships have to be judged on how they perform individually...even through the House WarShips then are specifically built for that task and the old SLN ships aren't.

>also, taking kid to violin lesson and then meeting wife for dinner out, so if there's an answer I'll have to get back to it later tonight

Texas seems pretty solid.

My bad, I meant more like how do they stack up against each other and maybe the McK

different user here with very short summaries
>Farragut: Savage Ngauss Bullying/10
>Texas: Very Nasty/10
>Monsoon: More like Meh-soon/10
>Du Shi Wang: Mislabeled Cruiser/10
>Atreus: Purple Bird Stronk/10
>Dreadnought: A Good Destroyer/10
>Stefan Amaris: Undergunned/10

>>Stefan Amaris: Undergunned/10
Not
>Warcrimes/10

You had one job dammit.

There's also The Falcon and the Wolf scenario pack, page 54

what's that reflection? you got a bigger version?

something for another board

It's actually not very good at orbital bombardment, though

does anyone have a good reference for mechs that would fit in a Lyran training battalion?

late succession war era.

Panthers and Jenners.

Plus metric fucktons of bugs.

Chameleons and bugmechs and probably some Commandos for Lyran flavor.

LCAF, drac mechs.
user...
Chameleons, bugs, maybe a spare Zeus you know for scouting and all.
If Crescent Hawks Inception taught us anything, bugs and a Chameleon, till you get raided.

First night playing a Mackie 9h on the table. My god is she a nasty dick gun having girl. Light night lance on lance random roll on megamek with a buddy Shredded a Prefect and Griffin that tried to tag team me. Then threw fire for the rest of the match.

Atlases and Zeuses

The non-primitive mackies are absolute beasts, it's great

Lyran scout lance joke aside, who has the most Atlases or Atlai?

For some reason I'm taking a shot in the dark, the Dracs?

I'm so sold, worth every penny of BV, are there any with DA toys?

Welcome to the Mackie Side. There are complementary olive drab paint cans by the door.

>I'm so sold, worth every penny of BV, are there any with DA toys?
Unfortunately not, as far as I know. My Mackie IIC continues to be noncanon.

Canon or not post it please.
Also more mackie art please. Till then have an Enforcer.

Brutal loving them thanks for posting.

I can see LCAF training unit having an aggressor lance or two fitted with Draconis Combine or FWL mechs.

I've read a decent amount of the lore, and I've never heard of aggressor lances, and in real world normally it's not the real deal.

Is it a thing in BT?

>and in real world normally it's not the real deal.
in real world we're not usually mired in wars of attrition against the same two neighbors that go one for centuries

Depends where you live lol.

Nothing lore based, just an idea I had what with the salvaged enemy mechs being used fairly regularly in frontline units. Couple of examples could trickle down to training units to familiarise cadets of the mechs they would meet in real combat. Sure you can do that in Holo training, but it's usually kinda different in field training when you have bug mech and Panther is rushing at you blasting it's powered down PPC at you.

That does make sense, but just wondered if there was some lore I was missing. As a Steinerboo, I still love me a Jenner.

Glad to see another user embrace the power of the fat spaceman
Have four mackies, 50s era except for the WoB one

You know I didn't realise it before but Enforcer is truly Mackie in medium form, what begs the question what are the Mackies of heavies and lights, well Lights I would Urbie but for Heavies?

Come to think of it, if Mackies where in production up until the Amaris Civil War, did the SLDF take any of them with them and why hasn't there been a Clan version of said mech as they seem to have hardon on everything Star League?

The SLDF probably took a fair few with them, but by 3060, the supposedly last Mackie in Clan space was a shitty primitive that Russou Howell made Horse pilot to fuck with him. Other than that, they probably just never wanted to build one.

Well, ComStar has set up a galaxy of clan mechs after Tukayyid, using clan formations and clan tactics, and dubbed it 'Agressor Galaxy.' The concept is definitely known.

Enforcer is my all time favorite mech.

An user had his sister draw me one and it sits on my office desk at work.

It's a great mech. I have a absolutely rotten luck with them though.

I love a good davion trooper medium lance with 2x Enforcers and 2x Centurions

I'm kinda cheating but throw them with a Griffin and a pixie. They do work amazingly well with centi's too.

I just found an old stash of mine, clickytech Jade Falcons. Apparently I've still got a full trinary of them too, though it's hardly balanced. One Star of Koshis (three 3s, two 1s), another Star of 4 Eyries and a Spider 8Xr, and a heavier Star with a Shrike 3, a Jade Hawk, Timber Wolf, a Gyrfalcon, and an Uziel. I've also got a mixed Star of Elementals and Clan Battle Armors. Kinda wish I had another Star of omnis so I could form a Nova

Article-user here. Basically I would say:

McKenna
Farragut
Atreus/Stefan Amaris
Texas
Monsoon
Du Shi Wang
Dreadnought

At least in terms of ship-on-ship combat. Roughly, any way. There are other concerns you might have like logistics.

Yes and no. It has brick armour which lets it facetank most things up to the Destroyer range while lel-ing, but its Nose and Aft arcs are completely empty and while it has big weapon bays it doesn't have very many of them.

The Texas is the biggest beneficiary of the ECHO rules, because in previous rulesets it was very easy to park things in its Nose and Aft hex lanes where it could do all of jack and shit about it. Now you can ECHO at least one weapon arc onto the enemy.

It does shine as a command vessel or when paired with NAC boats like the Aegis. That way it can add some more guns to the fight, cover them with its NAC-40 so nobody with less than 400 armour on a given facing (ie, all of the ships at the time) are too shit-scared to close, and pick of enemy ASF squadrons with those stupid huge NL batteries.

In terms of 1v1 it's not particularly great.

>8 Killer Whale launchers to throw Peacemakers for 20 minutes straight
>"not good at orbital bombardment"

But even with its normal guns it's pretty good at orbital fire support. Get the planet in the right arc and you can dump 3 dual NAC-30 bays, 3 dual NAC-25 bays, and a triple HNPPC bay on the surface for 3,750 damage plus the Peacemakers at 10,000 each. There are ships that do orbtillary better like the McKenna, but it does a pretty good job.

>For some reason I'm taking a shot in the dark, the Dracs?

Lyrans by a long shot.

Invader Galaxy, but yeah. They used it for OPFOR training a lot.

No Summoners or Hellbringers? They had both, though I traded my Summoners away. The Falcons were also pretty damn short-changed on the ranges, same as Steiner, but with better cooling.

I wanted some Hellbringers, but I was never able to get a hold of any. Honestly, I think the only Summoner I saw was a Ghost Bear one. My LGS wasn't too crazy about the Falcons, so most people either sold them off on eBay or asked for incredibly steep trades. I'm just happy that I still have the totem mechs, though I wish I could've gotten at least one more Eyrie for a pure Star.

iirc, the whole thing for Dark Age Falcons was that they preferred getting up close and personal in combat. 3/4 of their totem mechs are centered around powerful but short ranged weapons, and they're all equipped for Death from Above attacks too.

Yeah, I still have my minis. Same as my Steiner ones. But both factions were utterly fucked when the Wolves rolled out their 16" Warwolves (got all 4 of them) and Kelswas, and the Dracs brought those 18" Shiros (got those too.)

How common is the Charger 1L?

store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/battletech/products/battletech-second-succession-war-pdf

Not very, since it's a modified version of an exported 'Mech fielded by one successor state.

I see. My main player captured one after the pilot ejected from a leg being severed, and seeing how pathetic the armor is, I've been trying to figure out what the hell to do with the thing.

Fuck, and me without moneyz for the rest of the week

The Mackie wasn't iconically SLDF inasmuch as iconic to the Terrain Hegemony, which wasn't really the clans' fetish, and while we're at it, there's a LOT of other mechs that should really have a clan version but don't
But they did bring about a hundred of the things with then, which were mostly buried in reserve caches so deep that even the Blood Spirits didn't crack them open

>remove 400-rated engine
>replace with 240-rated engine stolen from clint or spider
>give 3 ppcs, small laser, 18 HS, and lots more armour
>no really guys i've always piloted an awesome

Who on Earth would you want to give CGL money?

Actually almost all of them got wrecked in the Pentagon Wars and early days of the Clans.

Horse pilots one of the last and it was a museum piece.

People who like book X or Y? If it's a good book, pay for it. If it's shit, don't bother.

>replace with 240-rated engine stolen from clint or spider

I thought there was some retarded semi-new rule that says you can't do this and needed an engine from a comparable sized mech because of the cost modifiers when initially making a mech in the first place or some such.

Well, your question has been generally answered, but I'll do so anyway because I said I would (and because I sat in construction traffic until after midnight and just went to bed when I got back).

McKenna - best BB, period. Accept no substitutes. (Levs aren't BBs).

Farragut - can and will kill anything smaller than a Texas in short order; 18 HNGRs are a very solid battery, and the backup weapons allow nukes and get meaner as you get closer.

Texas - I rate the Texas higher than most because of its armor; it's not got the best weapons, though its weapons work better than they look. The blind spots are less of a problem than you'd think as long as you stay at medium+ range, which the Texas wants to do anyway. Can't compete against the Farragut and McKenna, but really nothing short of a Lev can anyway.

Stefan Amaris - Somewhat inefficiently-gunned, but it looks badass. I like its weapon/armor ratio better than that of the Atreus.

Atreus - Overgunned and underarmored. Not overgunned enough to make up for the latter.

Monsoon - Shouldn't be compared with the above due to its age. Clearly not a "good" BB, but its sheer mass allows it to perform adequately against modern cruiser-grade opposition. Last "actual" BB on the list.

Dreadnought - Only a BB by virtue of mass; so old that she shouldn't really count. Perfectly fine when taken against other, period-appropriate WarShips, and she can still perform adequately - even against modern BBs - if you can get to Medium Range, since boating NACs is still a solid strategy.

Du Shi Wang - not a BB, so is last on the list. I don't care that the Capellans call her a BB, she's not one. Forward-canted armament leads to her getting totally BTFO'd in BB combat because all the incoming damage concentrates in her bow, and extreme-range weapons are matched and bettered by other BBs.

Speaking of giving money to absolute abortion of a studio.

I can't.
This is too much.
I almost fell off my chair laughing at how horrible of an animation this is.

Remind me why do people support these monkeys again?