Traveller General--Free Trader Edition

Traveller is a classic science fiction system first released in 1977. In its original release it was a general purpose SF system, but a setting was soon developed called The Third Imperium, based on classic space opera tropes of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, with a slight noir tint.
Though it can support a wide range of game types, the classic campaign involves a group of retired veterans tooling around in a spaceship, taking whatever jobs they can find in a desperate bid to stay in business, a la Firefly or Cowboy Bebop.

Previously on Traveller GeneralLibrary Data: Master Archive:
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q

Galactic Maps:
travellermap.com/
utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

Resources:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Traveller
zho.berka.com/
travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/
wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
freelancetraveller.com/index.html

Traveller General Homebrew:
pastebin.com/G1kb29aT

Music to Explosive Decompression to:
>Old Timey Space music
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4&list=RD02FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=w0cbkOm9p1k
youtube.com/watch?v=MDXfQTD_rgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
>Slough Feg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7DJqiYonw&list=PL8DEC72A8939762D4
>Goldsmith - Alien Soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=3lAsqdFJbRc&list=PLpbcquz0Wk__J5MKi66-kr2MqEjG54_6s
>Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still
youtube.com/watch?v=3ULhiVqeF5U
>Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
youtube.com/watch?v=nz1cEO01LLc
>Tangerine Dream - Hyberborea
youtube.com/watch?v=9LOZbdsuWSg
>Brian Bennett - Voyage
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZioqPPugEI

Servers:
Discord:
discord.gg/3bcgzB

How do you characterize rich traders?

Is there a wiki available for Cepheus Engine at all?

not that I'm aware of?

[Embed][Embed]
Fucking Zhodani fucking up my threads again.

Has anyone ever found a torrent/crack for the TCG RPG Suite chargen program?

How would you balance the Casaba Howitzer for Traveller?

Nope?

bump

Balance?
In Traveller, that's charging more for it or making it illegal to use in some way.

cool art

bumping off page 10

and an image

Jump-1

anybody have a favorite aesthetic style?

How often do you create city-worlds? Obviously, in most editions, you can't roll for them (hell, in MgT you can't roll above PopA), so what inspires you to decide that a world is like that?

I should've specified, for ships

For ships I really enjoy more ruged and with centrifuge Artificial gravity, like Humans in babylon 5 and early mission of Nexus the jupiter incident.

I take something I read in T5's. When I roll a 10 on population, I reroll it as 2d+3.

Which can turn into a fuck-ton of people. Pop 11 is 100 people for each person currently in Earth. Pop 15 is one million people per current inhabitant.

it looks like a sandwich and/or I'm hungry

I'm thinking of having them available in torpedo-size only, cost as much as a regular nuclear torpedo, regulated like a nuclear torpedo, do 1d6 less damage, but roll that damage in the same manner as a bomb-pumped laser torpedo (i.e. sandcaster point-defense gets hitsies on it, but at a -2 DM because it essentially goes off at Short range instead of Adjacent like regular munitions.)

Should it inflict a radiation hit like a nuke, though, I wonder? Is the plasma lance it gives off sufficiently irradiated? Using MgT1, by the by.

Sounds like a good place for my Ring World construction business to shake some branches.

Could be both.
The Fortune is a variant chassis Type M, but not terribly exciting to look at.

At pop 12, assuming even distribution of people over the earths available land, you'd have a whole tennis court to yourself.

Arcology high rises, here we come!

Basically. You need TL 8+ (and more like 11+) to properly support the population.
In fact, many of the poorer people from such worlds are going to be natural spacers, as long as they don't have to EVA. Tight enclosed spaces, naturally thinking in terms of cubic for space, used to being surrounded by blatant support infrastructure, the air onboard is cleaner (no joke, a friend of mine grew up in the Bronx during the 70's and 80's. Smoking is less tough on his lungs than the air he was born to).
Hell, for most, the only difference is that they have a solid job, and there's a disturbing lack of people next door.

In fact, I think I might have an Idea... Let me go manufacture the right UWP first.

Rolled 6, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4, 3, 6, 2 = 38 (10d6)

Hell, I'll walk through it on here. Rogue planetoid, fucking huge, lots of ice. So it's good as a refueling base.
It bridges a J2 gap between the ends of three separate mains, making it vital to regional trade.
Dice are for planetoid size (if I got them right).

Rolled 4, 4 = 8 (2d6)

380km diameter. (dice for presence of smaller asteroids nearby - it's possibly part of a huge oort cloud)
Rather than hollow the entire thing out at once, or even to provide a single reference direction of gravity, the settlers decided to put habitation modules, with their own gravity direction, wherever the mining presented enough space. This results in a crazy patchwork of habitat orientations, gravity field overlaps, and zero-g corridors.
Of course, the entire thing will eventually break up the stress, but it will be contained by the thing the entire "future city planning regulations" budget went to: a rather thin hull meant to prevent people from just knocking off parts of the ice and fleeing with it.

Rolled 2, 6, 4, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 4, 2, 6, 5, 5, 6, 6, 4, 6, 6, 6, 1, 5, 2 = 98 (25d6)

EH, 8+ is a good enough fudge for me. It's part of a small cluster of asteroids, stretching a few dozen AU on some gods-forsaken wandering path along whatever orbit they got pulled into. The point is, there is more than enough material here to support life, as long as you got the tech. Multiple farm stations, made possible by seeding the dirty ice from the main world, and other ice balls, with algae and microorganisms, likely support most of the population.

Rolled 1, 1, 1, 2, 5, 4, 2, 3, 5, 2, 6, 6, 3, 5, 6 + 98 = 150 (15d6 + 98)

Ach, forgot dice limits. Well, there's 25, here comes the next 15, then we'll multiply the total by 10 for total number of asteroids (and possibly also roll for the number of AU). 40 dice chosen because reasons (the best reasons, referee reasons)

Rolled 2 + 10 (1d3 + 10)

1500 asteroids (more or less), most likely smaller than than our main (or our main is not on the giant ice ball that started the entire thing). I'll just say it's a thin line stretching over 3AU.
SO anyways, we automatically know our Starport is A, our size, atmo, and hydro is 0, and our pop is...

Rolled 5, 1 + 3 = 9 (2d6 + 3)

Pop 12. Eh, I'll do the T5 way, but I'm not going below 12.

Rolled 3, 5 + 7 = 15 (2d6 + 7)

Screw it, Pop 13!
A000Dxx-x
So onto government, which is...

Well, that didn't work out. BUt it came up 14, or Religious Autocracy, AKA SPACE POPE
I'm just going to declare Law 7 for weapons (And thus what everyone cares about), with Law 4 for everything else - no poking holes in the walls! It averages 6, but we'll put it down as 4, since weapons are the outlier. Even drugs are a self-correcting mistake, and those who fail to control their addictions will flash broil and freeze in SPACE HELL.
In other news, TL bonuses is a minimum of +13 (+11 if you want to count government E as D). We'll just count TL as 13 - pretty high compared to the average, but nothing truly awesome.
Our final UWP is A000DE4-D

It may be a theocracy, but the requirements of living in space (and dealing with it's emergencies), pay heed to no holy law.
Except "Thou shalt perform thy daily maintenance, and shirk not from performing it with the entirety of your heart, lest you die in space.", but that's just common sense.

I might as well give it all the bases (Naval, Scout, Research, TAS, and Consultate), because why not? It's a fairly liberal refueling depot, with a huge population that are comfortable on spaceships, and it links 3 J1 mains.
Also, the SPACE POPE orders a draft of "God's SPACE WARRIORS" to pretty much everybody but the Army (and we knew they got the dregs anyway, in the 3I) every year, so they need bases there to handle the influx of recruits.
Who are all volunteers (technically), even the ones with ... Interesting Pasts, shall we say?
With A000DE4-D, and the bases, we get an Importance of +5.
Economics is harder, since the place is just one tiny belt, and there are no other worlds, so we'll cap resources at 7. Labor is 12 (C), and infrastructure is...

Rolled 5, 4 + 5 = 14 (2d6 + 5)

really, no dice?

Very nice. Efficiency is Flux, or 1d-1d, and I found my dice. We have Efficiency +3, for an Ex of 7CE-3, and an RU of 3,528.
No idea what RU are used for.
Culture is gonna be weird, so let's focus on the religion itself (using DGP's World Creator's Guidebook), after a smoke break.

With a type E, we get 2d+3d-5 for our god focus on this religion, and we get 9, Deism - god created the universe and buggered off.
Spiritual aim is 2d-2+12, but since not even the book follows their formula (or the reason why wasn't given), we'll just select something interesting. I'll choose 5 - Random Reincarnation, but there will be definite overtones of 8 (Ethical and Moral standards are their own reward) and 7 (We don't want to go to Space Hell). In fact, 7 will be the basis for our next batch of rolls.
Observance Schedule is rolled for, and we get 4 - daily.
Organization is a 5 - loose hierarchy, answering to a central authority. This, of course, has no bearing on the fact that the religion rules this world, just how it is spiritually organized.
Liturgical formality is rolled for and we get 7- rituals are combined with moderate teaching. Okay, so they probably teach something of why each ritual was established, and probably let you do some/most of them on your own.
Missionaries are a 7 - it's not pushed, but it's actively believed that certain races are incapable of following god.
Adherents, as this is a theocracy, cannot be lower than Pop-1. Since we're rolling 3d-7, our maximum roll is 11. I'll leave it at 12, and throw 7+ for it being the entire world, with possible offworlders believing. With a straight 7, I'm going to do it as a straight 2d-2 for offworlders, and bump onworld disbelievers into the realm of "super tiny". A roll of 4 indicates a few tens of thousands of people have converted, small enough to be folded into the general adherents.
Our religious profile is 974577D.

So what we have here is a religion, probably in exile over something, that rules a world. While the creator did leave mortal affairs entirely, they still judge you over multiple lifetimes - and they like those who are good people because it pleases them to be so. On the other hand, failure to pass judgement gets you sent to Space Hell, which might be a low-tech planet where everything, including the sun, is trying to kill you (An ecosystem is nothing more than a planet sized life support system. A hostile one scares these people).
Beneath their ultimate leader is a very loose hierarchy of priests and the priests they trust to organize shit, all trying to follow the general orders sent down. Quite frankly, most of these are governmental, with the priesthood functioning as bureaucrats outside of services. Variant sects are most likely very common.
Speaking of it being a theocracy, the dice have spoken - there is no single ruler, but multiple councils. This fits with the idea of multiple sects, and the somewhat open teachings - the theocracy is actually multiple variants of the same religion, banding together. These councils are Executive and Judicial - they run things, and are the courts. The Legislative authority is a single Elite Council, who actually make the rules the others have to follow.
Anyways, worshipers are taught the at least some of the reasons behind their major rituals and daily prayers, and with the limited discussion allowed has seen several short-lived sects rise and fall, and occasionally rise to to form their own councils. Hivers and K'Kree are abominations, souls condemned to live a horrific life in a body that cannot receive the Creator's Grace- don't be impolite, or they'll kill you and you'll reincarnate as one of them until you come to realize the lessons of the Creator on your own.
Off world, a few fellow worshipers exist. We don't talk about the blasphemers on Homeworld.

All the sects have three customs in common:
Priests are forbidden from entering the bedrooms of non-priests unless an emergency happens. (Marriage is between members of the priesthood only)
Those who practice medicine must wear full face masks, and use a pseudonym for their work. Addtionally, some sects require them to carry a blessed scalpel. ("And they shall be as invisible as the spirits of sickness they hunt")
Upon the age of religious adulthood, each person is given a tattoo, based on their favorite sections of the holy book and a vision quest undertaken via hallucinogens and guided questioning.

So there you go Veeky Forums, a fairly interesting world (so far), and a somewhat interesting religion to go with it. Now, what else can we add?

>It may be a theocracy, but the requirements of living in space (and dealing with it's emergencies), pay heed to no holy law.
>Except "Thou shalt perform thy daily maintenance, and shirk not from performing it with the entirety of your heart, lest you die in space.", but that's just common sense.
Our big 3 monotheist religions started as a bag of rules to help people survive in the ME, you know. It contained a lot of common sense about hygiene and what to eat and how.

True. I think in this case, it started off planetside, then evolved into the current form, which is focused on space. Their official ruling is probably "If the choice comes between your immortal soul and the lives of others, do the right thing and damn yourself. There's always next time."

Anyone have an online group that'd be willing to help a new player learn and have some fun fucking about in space?

I'd love to try and run a game if I weren't currently swamped

RU is kind of the GDP. The sort of wealth that's so high it doesn't even translate to credits well.

Roll culture, c'mon.

what's the weirdest minor alien in the OTU? I like the idea of something like pic related, are there any, like, cosmic energy beings?

My vote's for the Jgd-Il-Jagd. Funky gas giant dwellers with high tech but inscrutable cultural compunctions dealing with reciprocity of action and the universe.

holy shit that SOUNDS cool, has anything ever been released about them?

Anyone know what this Anundarluu thing shown in Reft Sector is on the Traveller Map? It straddles the border between subsectors Limon and Gome.

Let's see... wiki entry sites JTAS #17 and GURPS Traveller "Alien Races 4." I know they're mentioned off-hand once in MgT1's Spinward Marches handbook, but that's about the only place I've seen them.

They're really memorable to me, in terms of Traveller races, because unlike the main races which seem to run the spectrum from "rubber-forehead humans" to "weird and probably malevolent but can make trade deals with at least" the Jagd are really more like "I have no idea how these things think, their language barely translates even at TL 14, and the concepts which guide their actions are so foreign so as to seem near-random"