>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Sy-Krg-Tyl
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

are there class tiers like there were in 3.5 or is this game balanced enough so that no class is completely shit?

How would you balance Lore Masters?

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Sy-Krg-Tyl

What does everyone think of this?

You don't. Now on the topic of lore masters what are some cool spell modifications you can think of.
>LvL 1 Magic missile + Additional LvL1 spell slot to give +2d10 force damage on each creature hit. Spread out over 3 creatures it deals ave 13damage per creature, with no save or attack role required.

>typing out some more as I think of them...

How do I get better at storytelling? I usually run a simulationist campaign but I'd like some more drama, twists and turns, and climactic endings. Related, when I'm a player, I usually ride the railroad but I'd like to become a bigger influence on the story.

There are two "bad" choices, with one subclass being unanimously the worst, assuming you're not including UA.

4 elements monk is not very good, the ranger class as a whole is weaker than the others, and beast master ranger is the lowest of low.

However, unlike 3.5 it's more a difference of a tier and a half. Barring beastmaster, nothing is super weak compared to everything else and everyone should feel like they contribute.

Some friends expressed interest in playing Dungeons and Dragons. Since I'm the only one who has played the game I offered to DM and was planning to just run the Starter Set.

Is that a good idea?

So I'm adding a house rule on the Moon Druid, that in adition to the elementals that they can wild shape into at level 10, they can also role play for a single aditional CR5 form, from a choice of a few that determines their planar "circle"

The options I like are
>Wood Woad
>Barlgura
>Swarm of Cranium Rats or a Mind Witness
>Unicorn
>Young Remorahz

Thoughts/Opinions?

any idea on what change, as small as possible, to do to the beastmaster in case one of my players wants to player so that he doesn't feel like shit?

Yes

Tone down their level 2 shit. They do not need;
>Potentially gaining expertise in 4 skills
>Initiative bonus
>Changing spell damage types
>Changing saves once per short rest all
All at level 2

Use the revised ranger from unearthed arcana

alright, thanks

How do 5e Paladins match up vs previous editions?

Yeah. I'm in the same situation, but I just adapted the starter set adventure to a homebrew setting and changed the overall plot, adventure hook, and enemy selection to make it a bit more interesting. It's a pretty easy one to make changes to.

Cool, how normie friendly is it? Looks pretty fine to me, but at least 2 players will be 100% normies. One of them said, he I saw this on a tv-show, I know you play it, could we try it?

To me 5e is easy peasy and the rules are easier than my D&D board game.

On that note, anyone has experience with printing the maps? The more tangible I can make the whole experience the better.

Stat me /5eg

Starter set makes it as accessible as possible. If they don't want to bother reading through the rules to learn how to make their own character there are pre-generated ones with their own story hooks and fluff so they can just jump right into the game. Adventure is well made but generic. There are orcs and goblins and a dragons, some social encounters, a town with several sidequests, etc. I found it a bit too boring but the structure works well so all I really had to change was fluff and reskin the enemies.

I don't think Ranger is that bad, it's at fisrt level that they only a ribbon ability.

just make a lv5 dwarf wth cooking, nature and survival proficiency

lazy scum

16 Str
14 Dex
20 Con
10 Int
14 Wis
6 Cha

Okay, sounds like an excellent starting point for a lot of first time players in that case. They don't need all this subversive shit that Veeky Forums is so fond of.

They're good.

It's not that they are "bad" - 5e has some pretty satisfactory class balance, it's just compared to others and with the aforementioned early level fluff ability it IS inferior to the other classes. I'm not sure if you've read or played a beastmaster either but I think they're where a lot of the ire from rangers come from - they're straight bad.

The UA fixes all the qualms I had about original rangers though.

>e has some pretty satisfactory class balance, it's just compared to others and with the aforementioned early level fluff ability it IS inferior to the other classes.
I agree, but Revised Ranger is too front loaded imho. I hope they don't print it as it is right now

>they're straight bad.
They are bad for one reason: pet is too squishy. If the DM doesn't focus damage on him the only thing that will kill it (and this can happen sometimes) is AoE damage.

>But you lose your action to command it!
This isn't necessarily bad, just a matter of taste. It might seem it doesn't make sense from a realism point of view, but it exist for balance reasons. I, for exemple, don't mind it acting on it's own like the revised version does it, but I hate the "separate initiative", it only slows down the game.

Working on a Warlord port.

Should I bother with features from 21-30, or only stuff from 1-20?

>Cast LvL 4 Hold person against 3 people, Change the save to STR and add a LvL3 spell slot to increase the DC by 2.
(for me, a lvl5 wiz it is now 8+3prof+4int+2lore = 17)
Every turn the enemy must make a STR save (which they fail automatically) and the initial STR save is difficult to make.

Wow, the more I look into this the more I want to play a Lore Wizard.

This is why people say its broken, user. Any DM with common sense would make it so only the initial save is str then it changes back to wisdom
also
>casting level 4 spells at level 5

You've never failed me before /5eg/. It's Brainstorm time:

My campaign has this NPC who is essentially an annoying car salesman, pushing shitty items out for ridiculous prices. Usually these shitty items do things their buyers do not expect.

I need some adventure hooks that would be the result of these things.

One example is that he sold some chicken eggs to a farmer so he could start a new farm. They were not chicken eggs. They were monster eggs. The party then had to go clear them out.

>in adition to the elementals that they can wild shape into at level 10, they can also role play for a single aditional CR5 form
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that if they "role play" they get an additional use of wild shape that they can use for one of those forms? And what exactly do you mean by "role play"?

How do you people handle printing out the official 10ft squares maps? I suppose doubling the size works but those maps are gonna get enormous...

I mean, you can use the whole 1-30 for inspiration, but scale it appropriately.

if you were to use the 3.5 tiers, there is no class that is Rank 1 (though bards get close), and no class that is lower than rank 3 (beastmaster ranger gets close to 4, but still has some things it can do)

>but it exist for balance reasons
UA ranger shows that's bullshit though, even acting on it's own initiative and not requiring an action to direct it, beastmaster is still only so-so

I see, I'm glad there is finally some balance

>beastmaster ranger
just read the Unearthed arcana correction and it seems like it pretty much fixes it completely

>just read the Unearthed arcana correction and it seems like it pretty much fixes it completely

the UA version is MUCH better, but it still lacks a couple things, but are easily fixed. For example, the pet never gets magical attacks which means in the later levels the pet will, at best, be doing half damage to most enemies. But that's easy enough to fix by saying "ok pets attacks count as magical at level X" or by allowing players to fashion pet weapons such as metal caps for fangs, bayonet style "horns", etc.

seeing that the other thread is fucking kil, I might as well post my inquiry here

there is a very important thing I need to do as custom races go

I'm running a campaign set in the world of Daggerfall and we are going to change to the system of D&D5, so I need the stats for Elder Scroll races. I don't want them to have any differences among them and also no difference in speed or vision, to fit the game

-Imperial: same as D&D human+can cast once per day Friends cantrip, at lv3 charm person, at level 5 calm emotions, using charisma

-Breton: +1cha +2int, can cast once per day mage hand cantrip, at lv3 can cast mage armor, at lv5 can cast hold person once per day, using int. resistance to force damage

-Norse: +2str +1con. Proficiency with one handed and two handed axes and greatswords. Resistance to cold damage

-Redguard: +2str +1dex. Proficiency with scimitars, longswords and spears. [something else]

-Altmer: +2int +1dex, rest is same as high elf

-Bosmer:Same as wood elf +resistance to poison

-Dunmer: same as drow+resist fire

-Argonian: +2dex +1str. Water breathing, resistance to diseases and acid

-Khajit: +2dex +1cha. Natural weapon claws(1d4) only race with darkvision

anything else?

It still has the issue of the majority of your damage being linked to a low health pet that the DM can put down pretty quickly if they want to and your damage being split into two so magic weapons aren't great for you, but I guess you should just expect those things when playing a beastmaster

>low health pet
it gains HP and hit dice with levels, does it not?

Argonian should have +1 INT. They are quite proficient spellcasters and the STR doesn't make that much sense.

gotcha

What about Orsimer?

ah

in Daggerfall they are not playable, but would be same as half-orcs

Is he wildly charismatic?

The merchant sells them a small locked box. When opened there is a small mechanical ballerina that spins as music plays. If she's removed there's an even smaller locked compartment with a small piece of parchment with runes inscribed in

Box is actually a liches phylactery. Hilarity ensues. As a wider hook you can have the lich having planted in order that the merchant deliver the package to the king, the lich then kills himself emerges into the kings chamber and assassinates the king. The merchant asks the pcs to do it.

Does anyone else here run games using a setting narrative and characters ported over from previous editions.

How terrible is druid of the shepherd mechanically?
I'm running one in our groups' next campaign and was hoping to know what to expect.

>Some friends expressed interest in playing Dungeons and Dragons.
Probably because they saw Critical Roll. Don't worry OP in a few weeks you'll be disappointing them because you're not an epic voice actor like Matt Mercer, and your DMing can't compete with pre-written scripts created by professional comedy writers and tweaked to make them seem like a real RPG. Also after your group reads some Veeky Forums greentexts on iFunny or Tumblr they will start getting pissy whenever they get a nat20 and you don't let them do whatever the hell they want, so you better let that bard seduce the blue dragon, otherwise you're a loser virgin grognard, why do you hate fun?

the lvl5 at lvl4 thing was a mistake but you get the gist.

>the first person to bring up CR in this thread is some faggot complaining about it

every single time

Too real user, too real.

1) Stop redd*t spacing.
2) If you can't think of plot hooks based around the conflicts created by pissed off customers, you are crazy
3) Have him murdered by a cult who is annoyed he sold them a false item that made their ritual fuck up and backlash and blow up half of them with negative energy. Characters have to clear out their cult hideout full of undead.

No dude, they are straight up normies. It's mostly television and the fact that they know I play it.

They have never heard of Critical Role or any of the other D&D streams.

>1) Stop redd*t spacing.
not him, but what the fuck does that even mean

To actually answer your question yes the starter set is perfect. Premade characters and a simple adventure to follow with enough scope to branch out if they just want to explore and dick around.

>printing out
>not using erasable mat so you can draw in new rooms one by one

DMs who print out the maps and slowly "uncover" them with pieces of paper take twice as long as drawing, waste a shitton of ink, and piss off the players because they inevitably knock over minis while trying to remove the paper, half of them don't know how to print for shit so the maps are dark and waste a fuckton of ink and just look like absolute shit because the WotC maps look like a shitty runescape map. Not to mention, if you run published adventures in the first place you don't deserve to be a Dungeon Master, draw your own goddamn maps on graph paper, make the edges of your cave link up to certain cell intersection points so you can reproduce the cave walls easily, and draw it out. It's not hard.

legibility in a post can trigger some people.

I mean, they're pretty bad. But you could homebrew it a bit to have some more utility if you want. Never be afraid to change shit around.

>unironically trying to port Skyrim shit into D&D
I warned that this would happen. Skyrim players are the worst people to invade the D&D community so far, closely followed by Dark Scrolls faggots. Really, any video-game-playing twat who comes to RPGs because he thinks it's going to be like Diablo, needs to get fucked. They come in with this mindset that it's going to be just as fast and entertaining as their video game and also centered around them. These fuckers are usually the type to bring their phones and play stupid-ass meme videos while I am trying to talk. They also have motherfucking ADHD and cannot shut the fuck up for more than two minutes without mentioning some anime or making a reference to the latest episode of whatever, completely ignoring the fact that the DM is talking. You know why? Because these twits sit in front of a computer 10 hours a day, jamming their keyboard and drinking Mountain Dew until their fucking hearts explode. Then they come to RPGs and expect the same fucking type of mental stimulation, and when they don't get it they become a fucking menace to the entire table. And you can say "well just make a no phones rule" or "be a more assertive speaker" or some other bullshit nonce advice for pussies with confrontation issues. When in reality what you need to start doing is outright removing these people from your playgroup. Take them aside and give them one warning: this isn't motherfucking Oblivion, this isn't motherfucking Diablo, this isn't motherfucking Dark Soul, this isn't motherfucking World of War-Crap. This is a TTRPG. And if they have an issue with it, and play their stupid skyrim meme videos again, you kick them out of your house and don't give them a ride home like you promised to earlier.

Can someone recommend good fight heavy challenging one-shot? Better yet for around 3-5 level party.

I still don't understand how putting a blank line in between makes something illegible, and even more what the fuck it has to do with reddit

>skyrim
>can't even read that it is daggerfall
mcfuckingkill yourself

I'm not reading your retarded wall of text
I seriously hope its pasta

Hitting enter after every single line as if each new sentence deserves to be it's own paragraph. Stop doing it. It's also a form of attention whoring by making your post physically larger and thus more visible.

Not an argument.

>it's the same universe, just a different game
Oh sorry did I trigger you by referring to the entire series by its most popular chapter? Everything I just said still applies. It's vidya cancer and the fact you are using it to make a setting for your D&D game shows (1) how uncreative you are and (2) how pathetically addicted to video games you are, as well. Try making your own fucking setting, preferrably one without ten different subraces of humans and one without furry shit.

>>/v/

>making your post physically larger and thus more visible.

I prefer calling it "chadposting" (not adding extra space between paragraphs is a sign of meekness aka virginposting).

Write your own! It's a lot of fun, and you get the opportunity to perfectly balance it to your party.
It's also a good way to make sure that everyone is useful; have opportunities for strong characters to shine, or for those that are very charismatic or intelligent.

>I still don't understand how putting a blank line in between makes something illegible, and even more what the fuck it has to do with reddit
you misunderstood the legibility of adding lines between sentences triggers retards. It's apparently something they do in reddit, because, you know, reading a giant fucking block of text gets a little weary.

not him but the blank lines annoy me. it causes a normal post to take up a huge amount of space. a paragraph is several sentences but a lot of posts have one sentence per line while is rather annoying. its like reading a text message chain. if you absolutely need to insert newlines into your paragraphs you dont have to double space.
just use a single space

>not him but the blank lines annoy me. it causes a normal post to take up a huge amount of space.
are you afraid the internet is going to run out of room?

But you know, if anyone does something on reddit, it must be evil. It's a wonder we can even have a conversation here- did you know they have conversations on reddit?

not in my fucking life had I ever considered that it was a form of making posts more visible, but, on the contrary, to make posts easier to read

See, on this site, if it is being read on a typical 16:9 screen usually it happens that long paragraphs stretch towards the edge of the screen but do not necessarily make another line, thus when you do a full stop and start a different paragraph, if you don't put a line in between it usually happens that the two paragraphs get merged as if they were the same, thus being a bit more difficult to read

fuck if I know, I've never visited reddit

triggered? him?
we will never see anyone as triggered as you were

I have just finished running Skt and I want to work on developing my own world. What are some good resources to do this? Also, what are some good "checklists" to go through when considering world building details? (ie religion, geography, money, lore, etc etc)

I've just started a new game set in a homebrew world where dragons rule various city states (not DarkSun!) and these city states function in reflection of the Dragons alignment. So red dragon city's are chaotic evil hives of villainy and gold dragons cities are lawful good paragons of order etc.

I set it all up that the party are all members of the court of the ancient Gold Dragon . This gold dragon knows he's close to death from old age and doesn't wish to prolong it as it's not in the natural order of things so he's preparing an heir.

There's roaming dragons who lead barbaric hordes and fight one another outside the city states and sometimes take them over when they're weak.

The gold dragon needs to find a strong heir as he risks his kingdom collapsing to the barbaric hordes or one of the rival city states if he does not.

The party consist of a Elf Rogue, a Dragonborn Fighter, a Human Wizard and a Kobold Cleric(who literally derives his magic from the ancient gols dragon) . The Dragonborn fighter could be a potential heir but he has yet to prove himself.

So after some exposition, some exploration around town and the usual first session stuff the players decided to go and meet the gold dragon who was to give them their first real quest. The quest was to travel to the mountains to the south in search of an ancient crown that only a true heir to the dragona kingdom could wear.

The rogue then says 'oh mighty Dragon we desire to complete your quest but such a task would require your entire horde of treasure , we are trusted members of your court and you know that we would only use this horde to do good by you and your quest . He then rolls a Nat 20 on.persuasion :/

I'm now not sure how to progress.By RAW the party now have around 250,000 gold , not to mention numerous magic items that buff their strength to insane levels. They're also in a large populated metropolitan city where they'd be able to kit themselves out with whatever they wanted.What do I do?

Learn to read better, then. Also why are you doing it to your own posts, are you reading your own posts? Sounds narcissistic to me.

>start spamming dozens of random characters in posts, huge ASCII art, etc.
>"are you afraid the internet is going to run out of room?"

Nice argument.

>>start spamming dozens of random characters in posts, huge ASCII art, etc.
>>"are you afraid the internet is going to run out of room?"
>Nice argument.
you know each post has a button to hide it, right?

Would you let a druid turn into a crag cat? It seems really cool but maybe a bit too good as a player option for its CR.

maximus autismus

>sounds narcisistic to me
fuck if I care what you think
I only asked what the fuck it has to do with reddit. After learning that it is stupid as fuck I barely have any reason to do what you want

I mean, nobody should be able to persuade an ancient dragon to give up their entire horde.
That said, jack your monsters. Surely news of a legendarily powerful band of adventurers would reach the corners of the world, and the idea of stealing their powerful gear would attract lots of potential enemies. Kingdoms, even.

10/10 bait

Natural 20s aren't auto successes, read the books and stop sucking at dming. Alternatively just give them much harder encounters.

I've seen people say companions with separate initiative slow things down, but they don't really. Chances are the thing is going to do basically the same thing every turn, which takes all the time of a fighter with one attack. My wolf gets to move and it gets to bite. Roll the save against prone if it hits. Done.

le nat 20 maymay

>muh nat 20
Can't tell if this is bait or not. Best way to proceed would be a face full of breath weapon

Sure, let him do it. Maybe nerf Spell Turning or Nondectection or whatever so it's not as magically immune and go for it.

Persuasion skill was a mistake.
Prove me wrong.

The conspiracy theory that they script Critical Role is really goofy to me. That would be so much more unnecessary effort than just playing for basically no benefit.

What would you rather have for sweet-talking a guard into letting you into the city?

>any video-game-playing twat needs to get fucked.

someones fuckin mad. Like shit nigga, maybe someone said "hey I like this setting, I want to run my own adventure in it". and then you fucking storm in with a hammer and fuckin smash his computer screaming REEEEE YOUR NOT BEING ORIGINAL ENOUGH, ENJOYING SOMETHING FROM A DIFFERENT FORM OF MEDIA AND PUTTING IT IN YOUR OWN CAMPAIGN IS A SIN AAAAAHHH. like nigga no one gives a fuck if you dont like it, this man is asking for constructive feedback on something and you are screaming like he just cut off your hand because you don't like that it's from a video game. you screaming like this dude who is just asking for help is the harbinger of end times for table top games, instead of someone who thought "You know these games are nice, and I am either already playing or am getting into table top fantasy games, why not use this setting that I know and enjoy?"

>t.I have no friends to play with

There is nothing wrong with it. The problem is DM's that treat social checks the same way they treat someone picking a lock

thanks man