What do you think is the coolest form of undeath?

What do you think is the coolest form of undeath?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiess_of_Kaltenbrun
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lichdom

The sort where you die and in your final moments you shit yourself and a chaotic evil necromancer binds your soul to the stool that is now lodged in your bowels. You're essentially a zombie, but that floating turd is the animating and "thinking" force for the entire body, controlling itself like a puppet. If it ever falls out or is passed out through unnatural digestive processes, the "zombie" falls lifeless and the stool attempts to move around, but isn't very powerful.

Vampirism. All the benefits of eternal life while still enjoying the pleasures of flesh.

Wraiths, Ghosts and such.

I always loved the idea of spontaneous undead. People who die, but don't let that stop them. Whether divine favour or sheer will or some form of curse or enchantment, they might not know or care why they're still here- They just have a job to do, and they're not going to let anything stop them, not even death, until they've done it.

Vampirism. You retain consciousness; you don't look or smell like a corpse; you get cool powers; all your weaknesses are weird shit that either a) will never actually come up or b) would kill anyone else and so can hardly be called a weakness.
And you get all the girls.

As long as you're okay with a completely nocturnal existence, sure?

Legit vampirism is the lazy mans way for becoming an immortal

Liches have so much on vampires it's not even cool, and they have awesome powers

Vampires are just lazy bums with no drive

Lolipire

It's like vampire but better

Real Transilvanian hours who up?

Actually, according to Dracula, the titula vampire COULD go out in the daytime, he just didn't like to because he loses all of his supernatural powers.

I used to work at night, it wouldn't be much of a stretch, and if you have some income going into your pockets those are the hours where fun happens. Being free during the day when everyone else is at work is a pain.

Lichdom comes with a ton of drawbacks that would make normal functioning extremely complicated. A vampire only has to adjust to a new sleeping schedule, a lich has to somehow preserve his body and keep it in good repair, bend over backwards in order to create the illusion that he's speaking like a normal human, and somehow attenuate the soul-chilling aura of undeath and evil.

And in the end the vamp is going to have more wizard levels than you because of your LA.

Baelnorn pretty decent imo

Turning yourself into it of course. You're not even Undead, you're a fucking elemental.

That 'pire ain't smug enough.

I also don't die, am far stronger, and wizard levels are a requirement.

Also I don't eat people, which causes me to actually be able to live a normal life.

And for the body matience thing, the negative energy plane takes care of that and im a unliving notbreathing conduit to that.

I have far greater chances at living longer than you do, simply because I'm not dependent on anything, I can just fly off into space and be fine.

Legit the only downside is being ugly, but I'm a archmage and who cares

One has to wonder why would someone go to such lenghts to become a lich in today's age, if he then can't do anything inside society. It made more sense in a medieval setting where you can at least take and hold your little ground.

What would you do all day?

Plus your la is 8 and mine is 4
And you can't go to space because you can't be in the sun.

Not to mention the whole blood thing.

You are just a parasite on humanities back, whist i have transcended humanity

Read? learn embroidery? Have a Picnic in the sun?

You also have access to more than enough spells that you can look however you want. Hell, just polymorph yourself into a hot elf slut if you feel like it.
Liches, literally no down side.

>I'm a archmage
You had to take a shitty template to become immortal, so you're obviously not that great.
>so who cares
Someone with a life. Your entire post is written from the PoW of someone who'd fly his tower to the moon so he could be alone with his toys.

This. For sheer coolness, this wins.

Revenant.

Computer Upload

Revenant of a werewolf paladin.
You are now the holy undead werewolf, how do you feel?

Somebody gate me to the moon. Make me a god

First off, if I was minmaxing I'd just become a necropolition which is a weaker lich with no phylactery. It costs a grand total of 3000 gp no la no nothing

There all the downsides of being a Lich gone. I would be a level 20 wizard undead murdermachine.

No one even gets hurt by this ritual, I have harmed no one but myself in becoming undead

But liches are cool and recognized so yea

Then I can just leave to my moon base, and because I'm a wizard just summon things that enjoy the company of undead, and won't go on a crusade against me

Shitpost eternally
Start a farm exclusively manned by skeletons disguised as humans with illusion magic
Disguise your undead form and stream vidya games for living
Become a lawyer
Use mind control spells to get shares in big companies for free and then use divination to fuck the stock market into oblivion while becoming filthy rich
Since you don't really have anything to do with that money start buying weapons and equip your own skeleton PMC

But that is immortality and not undeath.

Why go for any school of undeath when you can simply go for more advancements in healing and resurection magic.

Why give up every nice thing about life for lichdom or become a gay moonlighter with vampirism when you can just plop by a healer and have them heal away the years.

Lich > lolipire > vampire > lolich

>start buying weapons and equip your own skeleton PMC
Stealing this; Lich Big Boss (having taken levels in Fighter and Rogue with his infinite free time) is my next campaign villain.

Smugger

>the most popular stream on Twitch, a 200 year marathon of 100%ing every game ever made
What a time to be undead.

It doesn't work that way firstly

Second you are completely dependent on about her person

Third, not having to eat, drink, sleep or breathe as well as having immunity to disease and poison is nice

Body swap/snatch/surf.

Reminder that Orochimaru got away with everything

ascending to godhood

UUHHHH!

My tail needs brushing.

My favourite type of undead is the one where they literally refuse to die. So great is their will, their desire to fulfil their purpose that their body just gets back up and proceeds to fuck shit up until it can be see its will done.

An ambition to fulfill that supersedes dea-

Oh, yeah this.

>look for more smug lolipire
>there's actually a second chapter to Yupiel-sama
Well, I know what I'll be doing tonight.

>he didn't know

I envy you that can experience it for the first time

Why would you even think of that?

>>there's actually a second chapter to Yupiel-sama
That was really cute.

If you're a lich, use the Clone spell to create copies of attractive people.

Soulless bodies, which you can then possess using the Magic Jar spell, a greater version you develop yourself, or an item.

You now get all the pleasures of the flesh, and have 3 lives instead of 2.

Just avoid antimagic fields. The whiplash from suddenly being thrust back in your bone-body is hell, let me tell you.

That sounds a bit like the Hounds of God.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiess_of_Kaltenbrun

Why not just stream as your skeletal self and say "I use this skeleton puppet to hide my identity, my dad was a ventriloquist"

Streamer name, mr. skeletal

>do a 'face reveal'
>polymorph self as qt
>watch subs skyrocket

>It doesn't work that way firstly
By what and which setting, besides you're running into your own argument here. Undeath doesnt work like that.

And eating, drinking and sleeping are the few wonders of life. You cannot deny what the body and mind rewards you for, life without a good meal, a nice nights sleep and other emotions such as overcomming something or discovery would be hell.

A Guardian Spirit or the like. Imagine someone so zealous that not even the bonds of mortality could hold them back from fulfilling their duty.

I beg to differ.

There's also the slight fact that, most of the time, the rituals required to become a lich are pretty horrific in nature, and usually involve murder of loved ones.

That's why you become a necropoliton, which only hurts you

It doesn't count when they can look like they're alive.

Who doesn't want to fuck the girls from Madoka Magica, for example?

Lolich is the worst when they're just a small skeleton.

Archlich

Here's the sad truth regarding the undead, user.
In any world where undeath exists, there's almost always an afterlife you could've gone to instead. And most of the time, for the good and righteous (and even for the neutral), that afterlife is much better than this world of strife and struggle.
If you fear your passing, and become an undead, you're going against the natural order and prolonging your rightful place in the peace of the afterlife. The only people who this wouldn't apply for are the evil, who fear death because they know their reward for their evil is suffering. Those people should be eliminated from this world.
And in worlds without undead, there's a decent chance there's just no afterlife either, so you're kinda boned either way.
So, in all, there's nothing "cool" about undeath. Unless you have a very good reason, when your time comes, accept your place at the side of your god, or wherever you believe you'll go.

(well, except where there's no afterlife, like real life, in which case hope like fuck that immortality gets discovered before you die)

Ghoul

Coolest? Probably lichdom.

If I had a choice, I'd definitely go vampire though, I still like having flesh and carnal pleasure.

Draugr for litterally coolest

This

>all your weaknesses are weird shit that either
>a) will never actually come up
>or b) would kill anyone else and so can hardly be called a weakness.
Do most people crumble to dust in direct sunlight and when crossing bridges?

You can't hold a good 9-5 job if you can never go into sunlight. I guess if you want to be the guy dealing with offshore resources/partners literally every night or always working from home. Still, that's kinda shitty. Good luck ever climbing the corporate ladder when no-one ever sees you.

>lichdom
>not demilichdom
enjoy your shitty corporeal body scrubs

But see here's the thing: Fuck those faggots

>Do most people crumble to dust in direct sunlight and when crossing bridges?
Depends on the setting*

I'd totally be alight with going out in the sun, if the only drawback was I couldn't turn into a wolf or bat, except at high noon.

cuz it's COOL.

Skeletons, they're so classy it hurts

they also have the best puns

Haunted armors.

T(h)read carefully weary patrons for tonight is a night when the moon is waning crescent and the often so thin veil between /d/ and Veeky Forums is at its weakest

If you don't run this as Papa Bones, you're doing it wrong.

If the shit falls into a toilet do I get to possess the toilet and curse anyone who tries to flush me?

Normal restless dead who came back because they left something undone or had their grave desecrated or died unchristened, fuck these *teleports behind the veil* anime transhumanist undead

Well, it's a bit weird to bring in fluff (lichdom's ritual requirements) and crunch (which is actually wrong, vampires get shafted harder) like that - because a Lich that has to worry about the ritual is a character in a book and not a game, and a Lich that has to worry about their LA is the puppet of a player and thus doesn't have to care much about the abstracted requirements.

But in DnD mechanics terms (the worst terms of them all), becoming a Vampire Lord actually *is* superior to being a Lich - and much less crippling to your sanity and manual dexterity than being a Demilich.

shit man, I don't do anything "inside Society" NOW.

>Streamer name, mr. skeletal
Mr. Spoops

Is that supposed to be funny?... wtf

Banshees are criminally underrated.
Wisps and other fiery apparitions aren't as cool but they're still neat IMO.

You could argue being undead is preferable to the afterlife if 1. you have plans for the mortal world and consider it your duty to put them into action, or 2. your soul would be claimed by devils and tortured forever or something like that.

Reincarnation. That's right bitches, the Dalai Lama is technically a liche.

King in the Mountain scenario, ala Arthurian legend. It's heroic as all hell, without the mental acrobatics and re-fluffing involved in other 'good' forms of underneath.

Revenants and being resurrected by divine powers (even though there might be some overlap there) are also acceptable.

Lolichs are better than vampire if they actually look alive.

Yes, but if you're strong enough, once flushed, you can possess the entire sewer system.

I really like the sort of undead that are just people with strong wills who refuse to die. I wish I could play a skeleton knight/crusader who literally raised the moment he died to save his friends.
I also like the idea of a soul being bound to a construct/automaton against its will.
Do Wendigo count? Wendigo are cool too.

>lolich
stealing
this
Hard

I like Revenants in D&D a lot. just being either so driven or so angry that you come back to life to finish that shit, its cool.

I think it would be really, really nifty to be a Worm that Walks, and just squeeze through grates and grills.

That and he'd get paralyzed by the sun

S-sauce?

Zom Zom Biyori

I like the idea of a thief who steals phylacteries and uses UMD to jury-rig them to work for himself.

Takes the idea of a "phantom thief" to new levels.

>Gets caught
>"Haha no you don't fuckers."
>Kills himself
>His body and the thing he stole both disappears

Mourngul my man

Death knight. All the pimping bling of a knight or paladin, none of the cocksleave to a god, and undead minions like a lich minus the phylactery.

He probably injests poison far beforehand with the exact calculation of how much he needs to kill himself. That way it doesn't even matter if he's conscious or not.

There was a guy here who told a story about how he had an NPC so tenacious and driven that even in death he died standing and after a dramatic few seconds of shock from the party and smugness from the BBEG his skin melted off, became a skeleton and continued his last words which were cut off, which amounted to a scene like
>YOU... WILL NOT... WIN... I AM... I AM....
>...
>.......
>.........
>I AM NOT DONE
So, uh, that sounds pretty fucking cool.

I really like the concept here.

"It's entirely too much trouble to go about building a phylactery myself. Much easier to just take one."