- Casual, light-hearted, magical academy game

- Casual, light-hearted, magical academy game
- Rules-light, easy to pick up system
- Only two PCs at most
- NOT Harry Potter

What system would Veeky Forums recommend?

Systems under consideration: Brightmore Academy, Eldritch High, Magic and Mischief.

Systems discounted: Fate, GURPS.

Macho Women With Guns.

>Brightmore Academy, Eldritch High, Magic and Mischief
I haven't heard of these systems before, mind tell us a little about them?

GURPS but with different rules.

>Systems under consideration: Brightmore Academy, Eldritch High, Magic and Mischief.
Links?

Unironically, GURPS with wildcard skills only and slimmed-down (dis)advantages list runs really smoothly and I would recommend it if it didn't require learning the regular full system beforehand.

Also, GURPS: Back to School has some good advice and a variety of approaches for games set in or focused on schools. Consider pirating it for the fluff/advice section alone.

Fate Accelerated will give you a bit more crunch than the above, but comes with a bit more depth in fleshing out characters and dealing with challenges. With only 2 PCs, there's probably not an onus to have a great variety of player character options, so that could all be superfluous.

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying actually does the whole "magic teens" genre quite well, especially if you are going for an anime vibe, going off of the OP image. Would probably require the most legwork in character creation, though it is quite straightforward. If the characters are really low on the power scale, probably not the best system to use however.

I'd suggest a Saikoro Fiction kit game, but that requires you to speak Japanese, unfortunately. Great system as a base for this kind of thing, though, simple 2d6 resolution with distance from skill as a modifier success with enough depth and flexibility in the skill system to skin for whatever game you want. I know you were specifically NOT wanting harry potter, but it just occurred to me while thinking about it that the combat resolution setup in saikoro fiction could be tweaked to a wicked good quidditch simulator or any magical sport competition in a pinch.

While we're on the subject of lighthearted games, does anyone remember the name of that game where you play some sort of nature spirit? Golden something or other?

Golden Sky Stories. I still need to find some time to study that one.

As for the Magic Academy game, I'd take Risus into consideration. Especially If game is character/story driven

Golden Sky Stories?

Aye that's the one, I was googling "Golden Wind" daft bastard that I am.

You could use Maid. That's pretty simple.

Or, if you really, REALLY want to fuck with everyone, use Dread. Instead of rolling anything, you draw from a Jenga stack. Whoever topples the stack, their character dies.

There's a little more meat to the system than that. But only a little.

Ayup. A game where you take roles of transforming animal spirits and that's It. The game assumes that fighting is bad and has nothing, and I fucking mean nothing for fighting.
So you go around this extremely small scale adventure, talking and roleplaying around.

The game REQUIRES players who like actual roleplaying, otherwise they'll fucking die from boredom.

A very specific kind of game.

... Maid maybe?

It's lighthearted, simple, and easy enough to refluff students trying to please the headmaster, or I guess the school in the more abstract sense.

Replace the head band with a pointy hat and you're just about good to go.

Hey if anyone could recommend any lighthearted systems at all I'd be pretty grateful.

Just finished up an WHFB campaign, War-hammer being War-hammer, it was pretty bleak. Figured I'd try out something a little lighter after that.

Ryuutama. It's good. It's easy, It's fun, It's engaging.

It's also super hard to get the players to treat It seriously once they see the book

Eh it doesn't look *that* bad

Looking into it, the system looks just about perfect, cheers mate.

>Saikoro Fiction
Don't suppose there's any chance of it getting translated in our life time?

Just buy shinobogami and work your way from there

>shinobogami
Guessing you meant shinobigami?

Oh wait. The damn thing is finally out?

Available for pre-order by looks of it