EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Ever play a commander who doesn't really pull their weight, or even necessarily even contribute? Did you end up with an OK deck/experience anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtg.gamepedia.com/Tazri
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
sys.Veeky
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shrewed-negotiatore/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-black-stax-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chainer-resource-domination/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for toshiro umezawa.

Are there any suggestions that the commander product will get more than the lackluster spoiler season that the last few have gotten?
dont they just full out spoil them a week before they release and do no other spoilers before then?
what a complete wet blanket

>Ever play a commander who doesn't really pull their weight, or even necessarily even contribute? Did you end up with an OK deck/experience anyway?
many of the partner commanders are like this
its ok
I play a mono black Veldrane of Sengir deck because hes one good looking son of a bitch
its a fun deck I bring out against craw wurm metas it makes a lot of mana and plays big overcosted spells.

>Are there any suggestions that the commander product will get more than the lackluster spoiler season that the last few have gotten?
No.

TribalCommander is going to pretty much drop all at once, maybe over the course of a week if we're lucky. We only know a damn thing about it because WotC has sprung more leaks than a sieve lately.

It functions without her, but always having a body ready to pick up the equips and become a potential rape-train is nice.

Depending on the boardstate Mishra is pretty much dead weight, and the deck is just Grixis Artifacts. There's been games where he doesn't even come out because I haven't got Possibility Storm out or I know that my opponent's deck doesn't have any worthwhile artifacts to steal. It's still a fun themed deck and still operate as an average Artifacts Combo deck.

How many people here actually bought Commander Anthology? How long will you think it'll take for it to drop below $100 like Planechase Anthology did?

I've always felt like this guy doesnt really do much for his deck (food chain combo) other than give all 5 colours and then tutor up a win con once you ready. This has always bothered me because at least fcp uses prossh as a part of the combo not just to get something else to let them win.

I doubt it will because people actually want the commander precons. The planechase decks are all garbage.
Plus they specifically chose waifu commanders to reprint as foils.

What more do you want? He immediately tutors for any number of allies and can pump them infinitely large. Pretty good infinite mana outlet that is always available. No other 5-color general would lead his deck better.

I bought two of the lifecounters and got another one by accident. I was considering the Anthology because the value is there, but I have enough precons and can always buy a Titania or Stranglehold if I want to.

>his deck
her deck

You two do know Tazri is a girl right?
mtg.gamepedia.com/Tazri

Haha, OP you seemed to have forgotten to include the Discord info. Here is the link.

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

It's an honest mistake though so don't beat yourself up about it. Just try to remember for next time.

Fifteenth for "competitive toshiro" is an oxymoron.

Have you ever played against it?

Having defined pecs and gorgeous flowing locks does not make him a girl.

Against your specific pet list that you say is competitive? No I haven't. Post it so I can laugh at your definition of competitive.

Oh, so your opinion isnt based on experienced. What do you base it on?

I would say that i want the deck to play the commander before it immediately wins. Most games ive seen with him you just scoop once they get all the peices.like it seems like the deck would be the same if the commander was a five colour blood artist because thats more or less all tazri is, a legend thats five colours that gets a zulaport cutthroat.

>Wizards directly states Tazri is female in every article and story that has her in it
>"nope, it's a guy, what I say goes and what's official are lies"
???

Didnt actually know that.

If you're so sure that your deck is competitive, then surely you don't posting the list for proof.

I will, I've got to put it into tapped out first. In the meantime, tell me the basis of your opinion.

>then surely you don't mind*

Who ever said it wasn't?

Don't bother, the guy doesn't read lore and stuff.

Toshiro can't be competitive. Neither can mono-black. No decklist you make in either of the two categories can goldfish as fast/faster than the big dogs, nor is it as resilient as them, nor can it stop them pretty reliably. Some random user on a board notorious for asking questions indicative of lacking deeper understanding about the game of Magic has not solved the puzzle everyone else couldn't, especially if you're using Praetor's Grasp and City of Brass in a mono-colored deck.

I couldn't tell by the picture. Thought it was a long haired man.

Yeah, pretty much. That's the cancer of combo piece commanders though. Prossh and Mikaeus function largely the same way.

This guy.

>Neither can mono-black.
You clearly believe that "Competitive" means Tier 1 and Tier 1 only, a list of 10 commanders. Extend even so far as 1.5 and you hit monoblack in the form of Dragons Sidisi and new challenger Razaketh.

Opinion discarded.

Most of the top tier combo decks rely on creature based combos. Monoblack control is uniquely positioned delay these decks from completing their combo early in the game, because you have the cheapest instant speed tutors and the cheapest suites of removal.

Have you even played competitive, or are you just mindlessly regurgitating the "lolt2kill" meme?

Can you build a deck on tappedout without putting it online for everyone to see, so that you can just deckbuild even if you don't yet have all the cards you need?

And you clearly are looking for a way to back out of the corner you've painted yourself in. Post your shitty list so we can laugh at you.

>Neither can mono-black.
Sidisi ANT.

Oh, a faggot from the last thread, got it.

Toshi's pretty fun but yeah he's gonna flounder hard against Tier 1 and 2 cEDH

yes.

Sure, check the box for private while editing. I have almost a dozen private lists and no public ones.

Oh, I'm not captain Toshiro. He sucks. I'm just fact-checking your claim about mono-black.

Im fine with those two because they actually are part of the combo. Tazri just fetches you another part of the combo then does fucking nothing.

Yes. Check "is private" in the deck settings. Make sure you uncheck it before posting it anywhere or people will laugh at you.

Yeah, that's what the "Private" option is for, I use it all the fucking time to brew, theorycraft, and test.

>Ephara flashbears gets fucking stupid once Ephara herself is online
>Akroma, Angel of Fury is her own win condition
>Eight-and-a-Half-Tails is a one card combo that can win through Commander damage in the right build
No... can't say I don't run any commanders that don't at least contribute.

Thanks. I'm building a Brago deck but I'm not sure about balancing the mana cost of the various cards, and tapped out would really ease the job

>monoblack control in cEDH

This is real weak bait user.

What? FCT makes infinite mana with Eternal Scourge and Food Chain, casts Tazri, tutors and casts Hagra Diabolist or Kalistria Healer, then exiles and recasts Tazri until everyone dies. Having Tazri in the zone is key.

Now I know you're meming.

>If I keep saying meme maybe he'll stop arguing with me

If you offer a substantive response instead of meme arrows, I'll be happy to reply with something more than calling you a memester.

>Most of the top tier combo decks rely on creature based combos
most of them rely on doomsday, storm or labman wins
most of the time your window of opportunity is very small and counter spells abound

Take an actual fucking look at cEDH. Traditional control DOES NOT WORK. Blue counterspell control can't whack-a-mole every fucker at the table and MBC doesn't have the tools to shut out Tier 1/2 combos. Control works in cEDH by being stax and paralyzing combo decks before they can go off since they typically won't have a margin at first. MBC cannot and does not do that, it is pubstomp at best. Perhaps if you mean in duel? You have a slightly better chance but you still are unlikely to have the tools to disrupt out a combo player unless you drink the Stax kool-aid.

Yeah but that could be any fucking ally. The fact that its tazri means nothing other than tutoring a blood artist effect and infinite etbs he does nothing.

Wanna build an old border deck, who's a fun general?

Seriously, I'm on the Discord and I get annoyed when I see you shill it like that. Make the OP yourself, or fuck off. I know how cancerous that circlejerk can get, so for the love of all that is holy, DON'T POST THE FUCKING LINK UNLESS YOU'RE THE OP!!!

ta ta, my friend.

I was kidding you spaz.

Dromar the banisher

>Sidisi and Razaketh tier 1.5

Please tell me you're not deferring to that ridiculous tappedout tier list.

It's the closest thing anybody's got to a decent source. If you don't like it, provide better.

They rely on creatures to generate the mana necessary to combo off user.

Doomsday is typically lab maniac, which dies to the removal. Other variants can be disrupted with instant speed discard, or my favorite, creature kill+misinformation.

The wonderful thing that Toshiro offers to mono black control is resiliency to the counterspells. Every murder in your hand is another opportunity to cast something that was countered.

Stax is perfectly viable in a mono black control shell.

land count obviously aren't final but i'm running too many nonbasic lands right?

whos the commander nigger

17 nonbasics is fine.

>Lands that come into play tapped

It's not a decent source. It's one random person's opinion who OCCASIONALLY moves things up or down slightly based on feedback from other random people. It's as decent of a source as any single post in this thread which is why deferring to it is worthless. In fact it's often time less than worthless because the person who made that list readily admits has hasn't played with/against the vast majority of the commanders, or the various builds of the commanders, in the first couple tiers.

>Stax is perfectly viable in a mono black control shell.
Monoblack is terrible for Stax. If you have any evidence otherwise, say some respectable list or primer, present it.

i don't have all the money in the world
GW selvala

>Stax is perfectly viable in a mono black control shell.

Perfectly viable =/= competitively tuned

The best monoblack lists don't go stax for a reason.

Working on this deck, and considering some new cards for it. Mind telling me which are junk and what to yank out?

>Deck:
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftappedout.net%2Fmtg-decks%2Fmuzzio-machinery%2F%3Fcat%3Dtype%26amp%3Bsort%3D

>Cards under consideration
Engulf the shore
Blue Sun's Zenith
Staff of Nin
Myr Welder
Basalt Monolith
Ashnod's Transmogrant
Ashnod's Altar
Mage Ring Network
Foundry of the Consuls
Shrine of the forsaken gods

Also, does anyone happen to know some good ways I could get artifacts back from the graveyard that I'm missing?

Dude he's fairly obviously on a tight budget, at least he knows better than to try to get away with 50% Forests and 50% plains.

>GW selvala
oh she's my waifu

Enjoy the (You)

Huh, I completely forgot that the actual elder dragons had old borders too. I also don't have an Esper deck yet and play too little white, so this is a great idea!

*Invasion I guess, but still

thanks for the input! do you have a decklist i can look at? i've added a bunch of mana dorks and ramp spells, but other than the ramp spells who fetch basics, the dorks mostly tap for green.
so i def need to fix the white base so i can play selvala early

they are great always have at least one built

Speaking of stax, a guy at my shop is bringing bant stax to my shop as soon as he finishes it. I flipped through it and nearly every card is angled against me. I don't mean to say I think he's trying to target me (he might be) just that his deck is very good against mine. It will require a decent amount of reconstruction to avoid being hosed by any of the 10-20 cards he's packing that tax spells, tap lands or turn off artifacts. I'm a little beside myself at how drastic his list will be. I'll need to order a lot of cards and rethink or scrap my deck. I like a good arms race but Jesus, this guy is going to defcon 1 awfully fast.

I'm sweating dudes, but I shall persevere.

what color combo get access to the most cycling cards? I want to build an astral slide deck

In terms of recursion the first thing that comes to mind is academy ruins. I play muzzio too but my list is a lot more combo oriented. What kind of muzzio build are you looking for?

Monoblack lacks some of the stax pieces of other decks, but makes up for it with the best tutors in the game, mana consistency (relevant with a stax based deck), and good card advantage elements.

this is an older version of this deck ive made it into a cEDH version since then but this is my preferred powerlevel version

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shrewed-negotiatore/

thanks user! i'll have a look on yours

Where's that list, user? Not getting cold feet are you?

Dromar is part of the Primeval Dragon cycle, not the Elder Dragons.

So you don't have any respectable decklists or primers to back up your claims?

you'll have to wait, every shitpost I respond to is less time I can spend pretending to work and posting things on tapped out.

I'd like to get more combos in, but I have two playgroups, one that's pretty casual and one more competitive. Second combos are fine, first one not so much. So currently it's mainly get a fat body out and crush, if mainly due to a lack of better methods. Reason I list those specific cards is that I can get them fairly cheap at the local shop, which is otherwise a bit lacking in selection.

Yeah I just noticed after posting. I guess I have access to the Elder Dragons too, though.

A quick google that you easily could have done yourself reveals this list, among many.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-black-stax-1/

A quick google search for a random list on tappedout doesn't prove anything, much less for a commander few people think is a competitive commander.

the pod results suggest viability. Moreover, it's in line with my experience playing mono black variants.

>links a list with brainspoil in it to prove that monoblack stax is competitive

How have things been working out for you, other Scorpion players? There are a lot of cards I've been testing that I haven't been particularly satisfied with in practice, so what are the best actual -1/-1 counter cards in your experiences?

this is way closer but also not exactly competitive, maybe squeak out a win every once in a while mostly its there to just play chainer because hes a cool guy, not really to win.
so inherently not competitive, but at least better than that list
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chainer-resource-domination/

>he thinks an uncounterable tutor for ad nauseam is bad

i'm playing superior locust god, but black sun's zenith seems pretty good. crumbling ashes is alright too

>diabolic revelation
>brainspoil
>increasing ambition
>diabolic tutor
>3.56 cmc
>last updated 4 years ago

Holy hell this is really good bait.

who's more popular, Locus or Scarab?

Scorpion is definitely the least popular