Critical Role Again

Last thread went so well, lets have another.

Episode 105 is now up on the Geek and Sundry website
>inb4 shill
Just a discussion about a Veeky Forums related show. We're mostly here to shit on Keyleth anyway.

Suggested topics:
>how bullshit Vax coming back as a revenant is
>how stupid Keyleth is (will she learn her spells before the end of the campaign?)
>thoughts and expectations for the next campaign (believed to take place 30 years later in the same setting, so children of the party are likely)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Hj_16l_7wm0
dropbox.com/s/pkijcm0mhd2y29o/Critical Role Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/lyinsoz5cj2jriz/Critical Role Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Map.pdf?dl=0
draconianknights.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump appreciated, but wtf?

the PDF for the campaign guide should be online now?
anyone gonna buy it?

Buy it, no.
I don't like campaign guides in general and definitely don't think I'm that interested in Matt's world. Neat cover art though. And if a pirated PDF is floating around at some point I'll browse it

I love Critical Role but Matt's world is generic and boring in all the wrong ways. Everybody gets along, everybody's a homosexual, there's always some "non-standard" race like a dragonborn or something as a high-ranking official or "everyday man" barkeep.

Way too video game-y in that respect.

how about you use spoilers you piece of shit

>everybody's a homosexual

a) you say that like its a bad thing
2) its also impossible since there are children running around various cities.

>everybody's a homosexual
True. It would make things more interesting if there was more of an unfair political system in every town, he gives it so little thought basically everywhere seems like a paradise

I've not spoiled anything from the most recent episode, if you're complaining about spoilers from an episode aired a week and a half ago you have only yourself to blame for not having seen it

I really enjoy it I don't even mind the more SJW points because they really don't seem to beat you over the head with it, My favorites are Travis and Talisin, but the main draw back for me is Marisha, shes the perfect example of the DMs Girlfriend trope.

>a) you say that like its a bad thing

It's not a bad thing, just not my cup of tea. I know some people really like his setting and that's good for them.

>2) its also impossible since there are children running around various cities.

Fair enough. Not EVERYONE in Exandria is a homosexual.

>True. It would make things more interesting if there was more of an unfair political system in every town, he gives it so little thought basically everywhere seems like a paradise

Yeah, not to mention that Tal'dorei and Wildmount (both presumably European-inspired by the way Matt describes them) has random brown-skinned humans everywhere living among the white-skinned ones like it's just normal but when he describes Marquet even the halflings are brown.

Comes off as extreme pandering.

Geek and Sundry is pretty cucked out of their mind so naturally he has to make appeals to a more PC orientated crowd. I can't imagine myself enjoying playing with them at all to be honest.

I will say though Matt is a fantastic GM and gives me a lot of inspiration in that regard but I just despise his following.

The other day I was in a tea house with my girlfriend (yeah fuck off it was her idea), anyways, there were these two fatass blue haired lesbian left cucked out bozo faggots with Critical Role hoodies so there's your demographic.

I invite you to look at the history of France and all the famous black French there are.

What would you guys give for advice for starting an RPG podcast?
What makes a podcast fun to listen to, and what turns you away?
How long should episodes be?

that looks so profoundly uncomfortable.

>I will say though Matt is a fantastic GM and gives me a lot of inspiration in that regard but I just despise his following.

Agreed on this much, at least.

I don't care for the cast's politics, or the fanbase, or Matt's world of Exandria, but I fully admit that Critical Role is a fine program and provides quality entertainment.

Like you, Matt has also given me countless ideas for my own games and inspired me to be an even better DM. Regardless of my opinions on his setting, I have great respect for the man.

So, I've been DMing for a little over a decade, and for the past year or so practically every single person under the age of 20 cannot shut the fuck up about Critical Role. There's always something that the under-twenties latch on to, but this is the first time that I have had no idea what the fuck it was.

Could someone give me a rundown of general themes? I don't have the patience to watch 4 hour twitch shows, but I'm getting annoyed at being out of the loop at the table.

No hate on the show, by the way.

>Could someone give me a rundown of general themes?

I mean, it's a game of 5e. It's not particularly unique in that regard. There's lots of adventuring, running around, fighting dragons and undead, all your standard fare.

I think, and this is just my opinion as someone who considers themselves a fan and has watched all 105 episodes of the show, that what really "hooks" people in is the "drama." There's a lot of roleplay, a lot of good voice acting (since the players are all voice actors), and a lot of cool story moments.

I think that's the ultimate appeal. If there was no roleplay, no funny/unique voices, no story-driven moments of suspense, then I think CR wouldn't be even a quarter as popular as it is.

I can understand (but not enjoy) the thought of having one of these threads when a game's being streamed, but there's really no need to have perpetual threads for e-celeb shit like this.

god forbid there's one less 40k thread on the board

just filter it and piss off like everyone else

strokes for folks, right?
or do you prefer telling people their fun is wrong?

Fuck off, shill.

Better than Quest threads.

same here, can't seem to find one tho

Show is good but the people for the most part suck. Not as much as the kiss ass loser crittards though holy fuck they're the worst. Bring on the free pdf already

>shill
>an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.

interesting choice of words considering I simply wondered which option you preferred.

It's online? Hopefully someone posts it here or the PDF share thread.

according to the announcements last week, it was supposed to be available today.

>leaving the second best character off the campaign guide cover 'because they couldn't fit him in without it being a mess'
>he's a fucking gnome

What it's the first best character?

Grog, if only for Travis and his godly roleplaying skills.

Pike comes in a close third and best girl.

I thought the cover art was based upon Scanlan's POV, which is why everyone else seems super large and has those dynamic angles on top of their "dramatic" poses.

Yeah, that's what Matt said. But then one of the Green Ronin Directors posts this.

And Frankly, I'd be fine with it being Scanlan's POV awkwardly hovering 3 feet above his height if there were ANY hint. Even just a wisp of purple magic, but nothing.

It's not like the guide has anything else to do with Scanlan, he's only mentioned once throughout the entire thing.

if thats the demographic they want to go for, they can shoot for it.

Me personally, I'm putting a tabletop stream together, right now I just do general vidiya whilst I get some production shit sorted for it, I doubt it'd ever get noticed as I don't have the inherent head start G&S has nor am I a famous voice actor.

Could someone please post the pdf if they buy it, thanks.

>it's a game of 5e

Err they're playing Pathfinder

I enjoy the OOC fun they have. My players laugh a bit but they play a bit seriously. I've never had a situation where my players made such a funny joke that we had to stop playing to laugh.

They were playing PF _before_ the stream. All 2.5 years since the stream started they've been playing 5e.

how many people agree that matt mercer is a solid
5/10 hes not great hes not bad hes pretty ok
aside from the fact he is a actual voice actor

Mercer is great as an entertainer and shepherd - despite his unfortunate choice of flock - but not that great at world building imo. Perhaps he's just been going too long at this point without a break.

this guy's right

fuck off

so are guro threads, that's hardly an argument

Watching old videos of this. The guy who plays Tiberius keeps blatantly rerolling his dice. Why doesn't anyone call him on this?

He left the show after because of this

I don't mind him as a person, I love his roles as a voice actor.

But god damn, His DM skills (as a guy creating and maintaining an adventure) are pretty ehh. As a voice of the game he's great, but I wouldn't say I'd want him as DM.

I think he tries to focus more on the story than the world they're in. The generic DnD world holds pretty much all you could want/need to use in a campaign, so I guess he's never really bothered to develop anything beyond that. I personally don't see him as someone who makes worlds in his free time.

I'd say his stories/plots/arcs are generic but I've only ever watched through one so I can't really say.

Left the show for lots of reasons, including hitting on Marisha when drunk I think.

did this happen on the show?

He has fucked up, or something similar because of drugs. He explain in this video. youtu.be/Hj_16l_7wm0

I am a river to my people.

dropbox.com/s/pkijcm0mhd2y29o/Critical Role Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting.pdf?dl=0

Absolute legend m8.
Post address so I can suck your dick.

and the map

dropbox.com/s/lyinsoz5cj2jriz/Critical Role Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Map.pdf?dl=0

I'm pretty sure it did, yeah

No. There is a noticeable release of tension in the group between 27 and 28, and Travis gives Orion the stinkeye a couple of times, but it doesn't really show on stream if you aren't looking for it.

too lazy to put on mega or somewhere better than dropbox, make sure to make backup copies, etc. etc.

Indeed you are. Kord's Strenght to you.

pretty nice map desu

Those off-brand Greyhawk and Dawn War gods. I mean, come on, The Matron of Ravens? The Platinum Dragon? I guess Matt had to keep what's going on stream at least in contact with the book, but still.

than you based user

>dropbox.com/s/pkijcm0mhd2y29o/Critical Role Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting.pdf?dl=0

>Still no mention of Tiberius.
Is Matt still mad?

>Watching avengers
>part with best gril Ashley Johnson
Must be a sign

Who should they add as an 8th member, and why should it be Steve Blum?

A little cold on the face, but you get used to it.

much love to the nigga that posted the campaign guide and the map.

#fuckthecrittards

Fuck off shill!

What SJW aspects are there?

he got booted after ep 27 because he kept trying to make it the tiberius stormwind show and the rest of the players especially travis got sick of it. there was also something that happened during the weekend post 27 involving a fan that broke the camel's back and he got the boot. not to mention the drugs aids and cancer and shit. hope matt lets him come back during the next campaign for a guest spot and see how that goes but i'm not holdin my breath.

matt has said on that god awful reddit page (almost as bad as twitter) that he's happy for orion but as of now there are no plans for orion to ever return to critical role. hope that changes during the next campaign though not gonna lie. bring him in as a guest and see how that goes.

And then he made the Tiberius Stormwind show

Anyone?

What?

He made a serialized audioplay called Draconian Knights. MC is Tiberius Stormwind.
I'd thought that Orion was a control freak who wanted his precious OC to be safe, but wow, this confirmed it.

Thanks, user! Now I have some blueprints to balance my evolving set of magic items with.

Where can I find this masterpiece?

To be fair, the guy was looking for any form of control in his life at that point. Cancer sucks and it takes a toll on a person mentally.

draconianknights.com/

Honestly I would rather have a munchkin dragonborn than a Mary Sue avatar rip-off.

Someone answer this for fuck's sake

Maybe read the first 10 posts in the thread, dude.

You have my thanks, friend user.

they're all control freaks (especially the girls) but ya

I've been in the same spot as you and I think I have an answer.

It's probably the fact that all of the players are actors as their main profession. Being in- character to them is second nature and they are all generally well-developed in improv, leading to scenes where the GM doesn't have to do anything as the players steal the show, bouncing off of each other and creating entertaining scenes without assistance.

Your players can't shut up about it because they see that and don't realize that not everyone is an actor, not everyone is comfortable putting on an accent and opening themselves up to mocking from people they consider friends, even if such a fear is totally unfounded, and mostly not everybody wants a narratively charged game.

Even those that do enjoy critical role, since they are often not actors or excessively well-read in theater or fictional literature, go about playing their characters in the wrong way, leading to a game that is in the uncanny valley of half the players wanting to hex/dungeon crawl and half wanting a dramatically charged epic fantasy story.

appreciate it my nigga but get over yourself thanks lol

The game itself lacks any major SJW aspects. Sure they have more than a couple gay couples but who cares about that. And Sam wore a Hillary Clinton shirt to a session once.

It's geek and sundry that's SJW. The breaks that hold the shit. Signal boost is a good example.

====D>79469▶
>

It's actually much better than I was expecting

steve has already said that he has no interest in coming on the show until he gets a better hang of it which he's working on now in his and mary's and brian's and logic's and a few others private home game. i'd like to see him and patrick seitz come on the show desu

I like Travis/Grog, but lets face it, his RP is basically "Lets go hit shit" and "I don't understand."
Agree with the rest, though.

feminazism abounds -__-

>Next campaign, Percival has invented guns and six-shooters become semi -popular weapons for those able to afford them.
>Steve puts on his flawless, croaky badass voice and plays a Clint Eastwood Gunslinger
>Liam plays something less edgy
>Travis plays a smart character
>Sam still steals the show
>Marisha gets the boot
>Becomes known as the best TTRPG stream in all of history for the rest of time.

>Episode 4
>Fighting a sandshark.
>Grog deals sixty something damage.
>Scanlan save or sucks a dude and banishes him. Is also giving out inspiration like crazy.
>Percy blasting it's insides with his gun.
>Keyleth takes twice as long as everyone else. Turns into a rhino. Does 14 damage.
>five minutes later
>"Wait I did 15 damage instead."

How do you make a druid this bad.

are you being sarcastic

He couldn't afford the (Apparently ridiculous) prices the owners of those gods' copyrights to use them in his book.

>Steve puts on his flawless, croaky badass voice
That's literally just his voice.

indeed. as soon as i heard it was gonna be a bunch of voice actors sitting around playing dnd i knew the show was gonna be a hit. just wish all the pathetic kiss ass losers that make up the fan base would disappear and/or quit worshipping and falling all over themselves just to constantly kiss their asses. it's fuckin disgusting and sad.

I'm pretty sure he let the players build their origins section of the game world, which contributes to the "all in" feeling.
Hell, there was this giant, powerful country of dragonborne and the only time it came up was when one player decided to nick over there to pick stuff up.

>being this retarded

What do you guys think of Talks Machina?
It started out pretty shaky but I think it's really found it's footing over the past few months.

Shit you're right.

keep watching. you'll see what i mean.

if the mercer wanna be host didn't make it so much about the lame ass fans and shit and was actually funny and entertaining....it'd still suck ass lol