Wat do

>tell friends I wanna DM a campaign
>describe setting as basically cowboy bebop universe where space is the literal new lawless frontier
>friends convince me to DM a warhammer game instead since we all play warhammer
>pick deathwatch cause its the easiest
>I dont know any warhammer lore
>oshitniggerwat.jpg
>enjoy it at first, but realize I don't really have much freedom to make a fun and crazy story like I would in a fantasy system
>starting to lose interest as my buddies overthink every situation and are scared to do anything

Should I just sit back and let my buddies enjoy the experience, or should I find a way to end the campaign and try a more enjoyable game for the both of us? How do you guys deal with being bored or out knowledged as a DM?

As always: talk to your players.

Just set it in your own homebrewed system.

Thats the thing, I don't know what to ask. Do I just ask them all if they're having fun, or do I just tell them that playing as space mareems is just going to be boring for me and roleplaying?

wat

Ask them if they're having fun. Tell them that you're not having fun and why you're not. Put your wits together to find a solution that'll satisfy both you and your players.

You'll either find a solution that makes the campaign fun for all, or you end the campaign, or you suffer through it.

>I don't know what to ask
You already explained the situation in your OP. Now, instead of explaining it to random people, explain it to your players.

Appreciate it user, I'll check with them after next session.

nah

Here's another question OP, what's the crazy story you want to do but can't seem to make fit in 40k?

>we all play warhammer
>I dont know any warhammer lore
How?

I want my players to have freedom to do whatever and roleplay what they want, but also be able for me to be creative as well. Like I said I don't know much about the 40k lore, but I do know that deathwatch are kinda stuck doing missions and exterminating xenos as lifeless space marines.

>since we all play warhammer
>I don't know any warhammer lore
nigger what?

Solar system.

40k is big and there's room for pretty much any kind of adventure / setting as long as you can fit in some of the classic 40k elements.

>in this system the arbites are forced to stick to the capital cities, thus they employ the assistance of individual contractors to bring justice to the rest of the system.

I'm brand fucking new to the game, and don't know very much outside of the one chapter I do play, have been told off hand, or watched on youtube

>starting to lose interest as my buddies overthink every situation and are scared to do anything.
Tell them that and work with them hell ask them what they want to do and work in small steps along with them because its clear that they think you have a plan for everything.

hey this sounds pretty good, lets my players have a sense of familiarity, but gives me freedom to throw crazy shit at them the likes of which they've never seen

and you agreed to GM a warhammer game which wrests on the Gm's knowledge of the lore. when you know none of it. get some backbone and tell your players before hand.

otherwise just do as said the catch all itself

Eh, deathwatch has enough lore in it to carry me, plus the players are filling in the gaps

I've told them I'm making it all up as I go, but still they're calculating every option and it just eats up so much of our session time that we aren't even past our first basic mission yet.

OP, do indeed talk to your players. I think the best solution, from what you described, is to play Not!Warhammer. That way your players get to keep being overpowered engines of destruction that can punt a cultist though a reinforced concrete wall, but you get to add whatever you want.

Because it's Not!Warhammer, you can add whatever you want. Alien aliens? Done. Crazy Hassan's discount organic space craft? Done. Magic that works differently then the Warp? Done.

Over the top acting and enemies that monologue? Done.

Again: talk to your players.

"I don't really know much about the Wh40K lore. I have difficulty creating a fun and open campaign for you guys and I also feel like Deathguards are stuck doing the same stuff again and again. Is xenos killing all you want to do, are you content with that? Or do you want something more varied. If so, does anyone have any suggestion for a fun and interesting campaign, a direction for me to interpolate, because I have not a single idea right now."

Talk to people my dude.

Definitely appreciate the quality advice my dudes, I did talk to them before hand and explain that my warhammer knowledge is kind of shit outside of the little I know, but I do think its limiting my ability to give them a good game. Gonna see what the groups consensus is after they complete their first mission and see if they'd like to go in a different direction

Friendly reminder, try and move them along. If you''re not enjoying yourself, it's easy to get burned out on the game.

And it sounds like it could be fun for everyone, so keep that in mind, ay?

I'll try that, I've been really trying to push them by explaining that a large comet or celestial body is about to crash into the planet they're on. It's worked alright so far.

Let your buddies enjoy the experience, and plan the next one in the process. Which parts of this one do they enjoy? Which parts aren't working well?

Sounds like they're putting a lot of time into planning, so you might want to put them into a more reactionary position to speed things up. Then again, sounds like the planning element of it is something they enjoy, so perhaps just work that whole war room vibe into the game and give them a good, definitive source of intel so you can rule out possibilities for them to avoid wasting time letting them plan for things that are definitely outside the scope of what you have planned.

Also, go read the damn wiki and take a crash course in the lore, or at least some elements of it.

I mean, I know the basis for the lore and the basics on the chapters they're from, just not about all the possibilities I could be hitting here.

Why not start with other parts of the lore that are gonna crop up a lot. Read up on the technology, the ships, stuff like that.

Open a wormhole to another dimension (fantasy setting or what ever you want), the quest is to figure out a way to get back home now. If your players hate it, just make it super easy to get back.

Fuck off, frogposter.

warhammer is a very fantasy heavy game.

basically, space marines are power armored knights. 40k is basically a sci fy feudal system.

just throw them into a feudal world if you want to switch it up

This.

>Muh frogs
kys

40k lore isn't that complex despite what 40k.players think . It's just dumb fantasy in space with Mary Sue human super soldiers ripped off from starship troopers.

Elves=eldar
Orcs=orks with guns
Undead=necrons
Etc

So just design your normal fantasy games but in space.

>Triggered by frogs

Yeah it started like that so no surprise there

Yeap

And the lord is written by a random mess of different writers all who often contradict eachother which itself has become part of plot with lore just being 'imperial propaganda '

So basically if you make up.lore and it's 'wrong' , they can fuck off, it's now canon in the game I find this is a really fun way to piss off 40k fags when running an RPG

>Peaceful tribe of Orks who just want to return home

>Sucidal eldar war cult

>Friendly Tyranids who offer the party a place to rest and eat fine bug delicacies

>Female space marines

Hahahaha, quality adventure starters there m9