Kamigakari Thread

Day late, but new thread.

Now that the systems been here for a few months, what have people been doing with it? Or what do you plan to do with it?

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

Mononoke homebrew Guide, FAQ, And quick rules cheatsheet
pastebin.com/u/HomebrewAnon

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h1FLRlVnHJQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

And for players, what kinda character concepts are you trying to make? There are very few concepts that can't work out, But pretty much everything else is free game.

So what kinda crazy bullshit are you tryin to do?

If you play on roll20 or some shit, feel free to post a link for apps. I know some people are looking for games and i hope others are looking for players.

If there's anything in the Homebrewanon stuff that needs fixed, or added, or whatever, please speak up and i'll get that fixed right away.

I know the FAQ and quick rules sheet were missing index tags for example.

I'm also still taking suggestions for FAQ stuff.

Considering the skies the limit on what you can do in terms of GMing for this, i'm surprised we haven't gotten any retarded greentext stories yet.

Actually, now that i think of it, is the sky the limit?

i don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do things in space with ayylmao's and all that shit.

I really do like the odd versatility of the system. Because it seems at first like it should be fairly limited to its core theme but it's not. OK, anything done in Kami is going to have an anime flair, but I mean in terms of "Who are the heroes and what are the monsters, in setting?"

Question for those more experienced: If the PCs were to face a human or human-like enemy, would it be best to use Godhunter stats or monster stats with a couple abilities that mirror some of the signature powers of the character type they're supposed to be?

Yeah, i really like how it seems limited at first glance, but once you take a deeper look there's no real limit.

As for your question, it depends on the humanoid in question.

For example, a fate series servant would be easier to stat as a mononoke than as a godhunter, despite godhunters getting most of those abilities. Its simply easier to stat something like a mononoke, as there's less limit on what they can do.

As for most other types of humanoids, i'd say its better to go the godhunter way. Especially since there are already rules for that.

Overall, if you want something extremely specific, go mononoke. If its more of a general dude, go godhunter. Thats my opinion.

Sorry slight typo

>Its simply easier to stat something like that as a mononoke, as there's less limit on what they can do.

Using pic related as an example, its easier to build something with distinct abilities the core system doesn't quite have as a mononoke then it is to make a full godhunter from scratch trying to emulate those weird abilities.

Pic related is mashu, or shielder, from fate grand order. I plan to do her ascended forms as well, but there's no rush on those so i'm taking my time on it. Its mostly just raising the numbers anyways.

Thank you!

No problem.

That said, this only recently became a possibility. There was no actual guide for creating mononoke in the regular expansions, so i had to make one myself.

Unfortunately the stat portion only goes up to level 5, but there's not actually a lot of things above level 5 at any one level, making it much harder to see a trend.

Still, if you create some interesting mononoke, feel free to post em here. I'd love to see what other people make.

Using one of the mononoke i already made as an example, Alice margatroid.

Technically, contractor B would have covered her abilities thematically, but it doesn't work quite right with alice's style of fighting, even with another style involved.

So i made her a mononoke that specializes in summoning mononoke.

I'll throw up shanghai/hourai and goliath if you want those, but this is an example of something a base godhunter couldn't do that a mononoke can.

stat him as a boss godhunter

so to get this straight. you want me to stat hank hill. With a keyblade.

youtube.com/watch?v=h1FLRlVnHJQ

Are you the same guy that wanted me to stat chin chin?

who?

from filthy frank.

These threads don't get a lot of traffic, so sorry if i confused you for someone else.

I just find it odd that the only requests i ever get are for weird shit.

Well, either way.

As a start, he'd probably be Human Arc slayer A/Elemental adept A with fire as the origin element.

I don't have the time right now to figure out the minutia, But its not terribly hard to figure out from there.

So, when one of my brothers was building his character, he was looking at God Hand A talents, and we came across something that needed a question. The Fa Jing talent turns all God Hand A - Timing: Attack costs from [x] to [Steps]. The Inner Heaven talent turns all God Hand A - Timing: Attack costs to a single [6].

The description on Fa Jing seems to state that having Inner Heaven would reduce the cost to one die. Would that mean that once you get to that point, you could just use any die roll to power up all Timing: Attack talents for God Hand A?

Also, noticed that there is a Switch-Hand skill, albeit really meh.

I had to really stare at the FAQ to make sense of Fa Jing. Not related to you, but just in case anyone else can read Japanese, here's the question in the FAQ.

Q:《発勁》は「《小周天》を取得済みなら、[コスト:n・n]扱いのまま任意の[コスト]1個でも使用可能」とありますが、これは《発勁》が《小周天》の効果で強化・書き換えられてこのような効果になるという意味でしょうか?
A:はい。その通りです。

《発勁》is Fa Jing, and《小周天》is Inner Universe.

So, what I'm reading here basically suggests that the effect of Fa Jing "overwrites and strengthens" the effect of Inner Universe. So yes, it DOES allow you to power any God Hand A attack talent with any one single die, so long as you're using Fa Jing. However, it still makes the talents affected by Fa Jing "count as" Cost: X・X Talents, meaning they still can't be used with Flowing Kotodama (written incorrectly as Continuous Words of Power there).

Did that make sense?

wow, the grammar on this ones all sortsa screwy isn't it?

Unless i'm missing something in the moonrunes there, couldn't it also be translated as "Fa jing raises the cost to steps, but inner heaven still reduces it to cost:6"?

Yeah, that makes sense. Huh, interesting setup. Of course, that does need 10 levels to get to that point.

it only takes 3 if its your main style.

Oh good, it wasn't just me.

That's another way to read it but also I wonder why it says it "strengthens and overwrites" the effect? Inner Universe just by itself isn't amazing, either, since the only thing it really benefits is Thunderous Tremor. Smiting Wave and Storm Smite are actually ~made worse~ by Inner Universe, so I assume it was future proofing for this.

I could be wrong though.

Yeah, inner heaven is a really weird ultimate. Without fa jing it seems pretty bad, all things considered.

Depending on how you translate fa jing, its either absolutely amazing, or sorta good.

Being frank though, a 2 talent combination you can get by level 3 that makes all of your god hand A talents cost any single die is a bit overpowered, so i'd lean more towards the latter.

Huh, you're right.

To counterpoint that, there's only 3 abilities the Fa Jing / Inner Heaven combo works on. The rest of the God Hand A talents are either Constants or are Timing:Unique.

That's true isn't it....

Those two are just really weird in general. +1 rank isn't great and inner heaven is only useful for one skill without fa jing. Even with fa jing its still not terribly great.

This just seems like one of the weaker ulti's in general, to be honest.

The other use for Inner Heaven is it's the prereq for One With Heaven and Earth, where Heaven and Earth has no cost and all God Hand A Timing:Unique talents now need an [O] dice.

Personally I'd come down on the side that lets those Talents be used with any one die, since it also seems to imply that Flowing Kotodama and the like can't be used on it even so. For +1 Rank it's really not so bad!

Yeah, thats fair. I forgot that was even a thing till you brought it up

Since he brings up one with heaven and earth, i'm actually gonna stay on the side of "only 6", since that improves inner heaven anyways. If you make it so fa jing improves it to work with any single die, it makes one with heaven and earth nearly useless.

So 3 talents to make every attack talent cost O and Heaven and earth cost nothing at all, that seems much more in line with other talent combinations.

That first part was meant for . I'm just tired and stupid.

I actually forgot about that Talent too, so fair enough!

I'll see about adding that to the improptu FAQ later, seeing as thats a really wonky one to read.

Thought One With Heaven and Earth only affects Timing:Unique talents, while Fa Jing only affects Timing:Attack.

I'd think it would make it so that you can use [O] dice to power up your Timing:Unique talents and [E] for Timing:Attack.

You're right, but using any attack talent with 6 and the rest of the style's talents with O is still pretty good.

I'll be honest, i need to look into god hand A way more closely to really get a feel for this.

I havent looked into it terribly well, but how the rest of the talents work can drastically change ones view on one or two specific ones

I propose a game: name an anime(esque) character, and see if someone chimes in to simulate them as a godhunter -- or do so yourself if you have a solid idea.

Neku Sakuraba.

With how pins work the main style can be pretty much anything. He needs contractor B at least though, since its an ability unique to him as a "Player" to summon noise.

That said, i think most of the pins would fall under elder mage or elemental adept. Maybe divine talker or time wizard, depending on the pin. He tends to rely on his ability to use pins rather than fight physically like shiki or beat, so most of his abilities would fall under the more magical and ranged stuff.

Here's one i think will be a bit more difficult, Yami/Eve.

just realized i forgot the picture like a fucking idiot.

This is a dumb image, but i find it funny. So i'll dump it here.

How would you stat Vivio? She's supposed to be really good at magic, but would rather punch things because little girl magical MMA is too fun to ignore, even if she's not talented at it.

I assume Arc Slayer B is a given since she's a counter-hitter, but what about the other Style? She does use almost exclusively punches and kicks, but she reinforces her strength and defense with magic, and also transforms into an adult form.

Gonna pitch a softball if anyone is up for statting characters.

VIvio is almost 100% Godhand. Which one is up for debate, but there's no doubt about it.

Tried out the sample first episode. How does [Standby] work again?

Basically, your character sits and waits for a better time to do something.

They choose to take a hit to their initiative to a minimum of 1, Which doesn't affect speed, only turn order. When the turn order passes them at their new initiative, they take their turn then.

Standby doesn't actually take any timings or anything, so it can be done at basically any time.

So if a character and an enemy had 11 initiative and one of them used standby, next turn it'd be whoever didn't standby would go first?

Elder Mage A/Elemental Adept A using fire origin. For race, probably magus. If you wanna get cheeky, demon eye'd.

Nope.

Lets say You have two people with initiative 15. One of them decides to standby, and reduce their initiative to 10. Now, the guy with 15 would go first, and the guy with 10 would go afterward. Potentially after other people as well, if their initiative is higher.

So lets say there's these initiatives. 15, 15, 13, 9, 5. If one of the 15's decides to standby until 10, it'd instead be 15, 13, 10, 9, 5.

They reduce their initiative wholesale for the purpose of turn order.

Okay, and another question: when PCs get materials, they could either sell the materials or apply it to their items, right?

They can sell the materials for money, use the potency to upgrade weapons using the Arms system, or if you use material synthesis the effects of the item itself are applied to the article in question.

Material synthesis is the only thing with an upward limit, depending on the item in question.

Thats fair.

Purely hypothetically, could you stat Kirito from SAO in this system?

Arc slayer A/B with ambidexterity.

Rather, almost everyone from SAO as a game would be Arc slayer or Dark hunter.

If you wanna go alfheim, some would be elemental adept or elder mage.

So long answer short, Yes.

Forgot to mention, most GGO players would be legion A/B

Yuuki specifically could probably pass for Time wizard A due to her speed comparatively to the rest of the cast.

I guess silica would be Contractor B.

But who'd play as silica?

How on earth did any of you survive the world section of the core book? I can't tell if it's just an awful, terrible translation or not, but this is a goddamn slog.

I mean, it is being retranslated, but most of it is fluff. Actually, literally all of it is fluff.

You don't need to read it if its seriously that bad for you. At least not immediately.

The cliffnotes are that everyone with supernatural abilities has a "Shard". Civvies don't. Beings with shards, whether godhunters, Mononoke, or what, tend to fight eachother for varying reasons. Some godhunters go AWOL and do evil stuff. Mononoke turn into aramitama because of the warp.

Its basically god eater, monster hunter, or whatever else have you. Get to the crunch, then go back to the fluff if the crunch pulls you in enough.

*rewritten

I don't have time to retranslate the entire thing, unfortunately. And even what I did for the world section as far as rewriting goes isn't terribly in depth, alas.

Fair enough, i suppose, but its still pretty average modern fantasy fare, so far as story goes.

Conflicting organizations, weird monsters, awesome powers, plot armor barriers and hammerspace.

I don't see whats wrong with it to start with that made it so painful for that user, but in all you can get most of the idea pretty easy.

I mean I could do better obviously! But this was the first thing I've ever translated in such a complete format, so understandably the huge section of nothing but fluff text was the most difficult part.

I look forward to whenever I get around to new fluff.

Oh, well thanks to any putting effort into improve it in that way. I've heard the creator's a type-moon fan and put in a heroic spirit race a la Fate, but I've not found it in core. Does any user know where I could find that?

It just seemed kind of clunky in terms of sentence structure, that kind of stuff slows down my comprehension speed.

There's a pastebin with the expansions near the top. The royalteared one. Its in the first one.

As for the sentence structure, thats fair, i guess. That said, you only need the cliffnotes and important names for the first couple sessions.

By first, do you mean first from the top, which is numbered 5, or the one numbered 1, which is at the bottom?

Yeah, what said about Heroic Spirits.

As for the sentence structure, I actually wrote Kami before I got some really good advice as to "how" to translate, so most of Kami's current form is very uh... literal. Which is bad, of course. If I were doing this now-a-days, it'd definitely be at least improved.

If you have any questions about the setting or rules though, do ask, we're all ready to help!

The one numbered one, as in the first released expansion.

You did a damn good job. Honestly I'd mostly be interested in an official english version to have that swanky physical version with the art, it's able to be parsed fairly easily.

For stat the character, I'll pitch another one that seems pretty easy (At least once the expansions get involved! I feel the setting is probably better served by Kami than anything else because special personal weapons tend to be a thing for everybody). Pic Related.

RWBY would probably be an easy one to do in Kami, i'll give you that. Some of the weapons might take some rigging, but otherwise, its got the versatility to allow for some wacky shit.

Yang is almost 100% Godhand. Even the godhand fluff fits yang to a T. Her weapons would be harder to do, if they weren't basically just gauntlets shooting off energy. She's basically asura with nice tits.

Here's one thats not really as cut and dry, Rachel alucard.

>But who'd play as silica?
someone, clearly

I don't doubt it. She's not really a bad character.

She just never does anything

What about best nep?

>She just never does anything
one might say that makes for a bad character.