Redwall thread

oh shit nigga that's right, get in here and get a hit of that buckleberry wine while we wax nostalgic and talk game adaptions

I could use some redwall pics too if you have them, vermin, gentlebeasts, anything I can run a game with.

>be vermin stoat captain
> join Vermin Anti-Defamation League because we're constantly stigmatized
> finally conquered redwall through the power of political advocacy

where do they get food for so many hares

IIRC most of the mountainside is farms they tend

Wouldn't all that sea salt in the air be bad for farming?

Mouseguard is probably the easiest system to adapt to a Redwall setting.

Haven't found anyone willing to play/GM for it though, since its not a very common system that people know. Which is a shame, most of my early-teen years were spent hunting down the few books I didn't already own so I could have the entire set.

>Batcave

Giving me shitloads of nostalgia, Veeky Forums. My grandma gave me these books for years, so I have more than a dozen of them. Reading these in class is what got me through middle school.

I always felt really bad for the vermin hoards. Yeah ol' Jacques does a real good job setting them up as villians; but you know the second they set their eyes on redwall they're going to end a dramatic and fitting end. Like impaled on a weather vane or eaten by a snake.

And then there's the highlander squirrel tribes with claymores

iirc a bunch of their forces are always away on patrol, where they forage mostly. I'm sure they also get food tribute from the surrounding communities for their services.

Knowing hares, foraging is practically starvation diet.

I'm curious anyone here heard/played a game called Armello?

it's basically game thrones: red wall edition and has some decent fluff behind it.

Vilu Daskar>Ungatt Trunn>Tsarina>Swart Sixclaw>Gabool>Cluny The Scourage>Badrag the Tyrant

Prove me wrong you can't

I've got it sitting downloaded in my steam library but have been too busy getting Darkest Dungeon'd to play it.

First of all my nigga Riggu Felis isn't on there

>No Ferahgo the Assassin
>The only other vermin to occupy Salamandastron

Mouseguard huh? I'll have to look into it. I'm still torn between running a gentlebeast or vermin game. With the good forces you get the classic redwall Abbey experience, or long patrol, or the mountain fortress. But with vermin you get some deeply satisfying villainous action

The system is set up so you play Musketeer-like Guardmice, but in a setting closer to the Crusades.

With some adjustments to allow non-mice PC's, you could easily adapt it for a Redwall-style adventure.

It's more of a narrative game a la FATE or Masks than your typical d20 system though, so YMMV if you prefer one style over the other.

not a full RPG, and slightly different setting, but Mice and Mystics very much gets the feel of Redwall and is very fun.

Also simple enough that you can play it as a first RPG like experiance for younger kids.

Track down Redwall 2K, the obligatory "modern future" fan verse. Most of the moral greyness is there for the edge, but considering how often Brian has the racists proved right no matter how often the vermin try....
Personally I think Veil would've had a better childhood at Salamandastron, since they kind of are a military, and he wouldn't have been too outcast. After all, they can't afford lazy hands, or hands made lazy by nobody letting them do shit.

I remember thinking how it seemed a little tragic how the vermin always got fucked but it also how they pretty much always deserved it.

I also remeber being really confused about the scale of things, seeing as how there was a horse in the first book

It was one of the three games you could vote for to get free with playstation plus, and it lost of course

Which do you think is better: reading the books in released order, or in in-universe chronological order? My vote is for the former.

Hmmm...

Released order is more fluid, but the stories jump around a LOT, so getting a feel of continuity would be more difficult.

Chronological order will let you keep the timeline in your head a bit better, but you'll get some early-installment weirdness once you move from the prequels to Redwall itself.

Tough call.

Cluny the Scourge did nothing wrong

The first couple books had a bit of early installment weirdness to them, where I think Humans were meant to have been a thing in setting, but were recently absent by the book's time. Subsequent books in the series ironed out the particulars of the setting and never mentioned humans or human works again.

There was that one story where the Abbey mouse raises a ferret and then it runs away to join his dad's vermin hoard. It was like the whole moral was "They're not evil because they're vermin, they're vermin because they're evil"

IIRC, Jacques admitted that he never expected the first book to get published, so he didn't get around to removing the slightly human influence found in the first book (horses, dogs, pigs).

There's actually a ton of weirdness going on in the first book. Like the whole Abbey thing being an actual religious abbey, with monks and religious dogma going on that is not present in any other books. There's also no "all vermin are evil" in the first book, with rats living in the abbey with no issue.

The races are more bestial in the first book too, with references to characters "rearing up on hind legs" and such, whereas in all subsequent books the people are much more humanlike.

There's also a ton of religious symbolism and mentions of Heaven and Hell in the first book, like the snake being named Asmodeus (one of Catholicism's Demons).