Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Most relatable units edition

>FAQ (New FAQ):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/

>FW FAQ
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Designer's Commentary (FAQ 0.1)
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf(and epub), SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Old megas
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Chart-user doing Emperor's work)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1953.0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Which is the better air support: Nephilim Jetfighters or Dark Talons?

Early thread is early; still on page 8

Anyway, removed a Vulture, changed to twin punishers and added a dread with autocannons.
Am I missing something?

>animu shit
no codex/10

I don't fucking know man but are we going to talk about how the new CTs made Stormravens even more fucking OP? Half my army is now going down the drain if they show up. Fuck Gw.

So I am have been reading the 8th ed rulebook and found something interesting.

There is a new Eldar faction but it's censored by the Inquisition. Any idea what this faction is and why did the Imperials redacted it? Does this mean w can look forward a new Eldar faction in the future? Are you hyped?

Imperial Guard is top tier. Winning all tourneys. Guard number 1 baby... I want to dedicate this to all the conscripts who sacrificed their worthless lives tarpitting 500pt+ units for 4 turns, this shit post is for you

SALAMANDERS WILL BE THE MELTA KINGS

Chaos Eldar was a small thing in the old fluff.

What have you done today to protect this smile?

NPC races a best.
When I win, I wipe out whole companies of special irreplaceable snowflakes and special characters who keep the enemy afloat.
When I lose, congratulations, you killed a Maniple of Skitarii and some lowranked techpriests. Send in another six.

Anyone else enjoy battles like that? There's a chap at my LGS that has this ungodly UM/GK/Custodes mix with Guilliman, a pack of Libbies and Voldus, wiping that would probably crack the imperium right through losing a Primarch and a bunch of their best. I teamed up with some no-name Nurgle Renegades and swarmed the bastard as my last 7e game. I'm now speedpainting my way through my 1.5k Admech army to go play some 8e, since I haven't got the chance yet.

Oh fuck off. The Horus Heresy novels barely pass as fanwank and the only reason people read them is because of Stockholm Syndrome.

it's not new.
Crone world eldar have always been in the fluff, with only small and vague comments.
IE exactly like what we're seeing here.

It's neat, but a neat continuing of what's old, not anything new.

Turns out that the Dark Eldar fans lied to us all that time. The Dark Eldar are not the most numerous of the Eldar. The Craftworlders are the most numerous faction of the Eldar and THEY ARE DYING.

Fucking Drukharifags.

crone world eldar, should be fun.

>Primarch soap operas
>Space marines novels

>Oh fuck off.

No. Space Marines are here to stay, the most beloved by the fanbase, and you gotta deal with it fuckboi.

Yup, definitely fun.
>You win against my Kataphron? Great, now I'll cut the dead bodies out, sew some mind-wiped rapists back in and then I'm ready for round 2

Are Tech Priests the ultimate trolls?

Aeldari = craftworlders / corsairs/ exodites

How do I play the avatar of khaine? Do I just surround him with storm guardians as meatshield and throw him at the enemy?

I thinned all my paints

Implications/5.

>Conflicting fluff means they lied
Sure thing retard. Go read the old DE codex.

Incorrect, dark eldar are part of the Aeldari

Who is the Primarch of the Red Hunters? They seem to be Black templar levels of emperor worshipping fanaticism, could they be Dorns guys?

Then again, quite a few ultramarine successors became enormous assholes so Roboute isn't unreasonable

Nope, the Dark Eldar or Drukhari are included in the term Aledari.

>Pedro Kantor
>Thulsa Kane
>70 sternguard
>3 quad mortars

2000 points for 70 sternguard firing rapid fire 30" ap-2 bolters and rerolling all hits (including for their 3 attacks each in close combat) Backed up by 3 quad mortars and Thulsa Kane for obliterating deathstars and keeping them at ld9

A cancerous tournament list from a few days ago went with 7 dark talons and 0 nephilim jetfighters, so I guess the dark talon.

AQUILA FORTRESS GUY ARE YOU HERE

How's that thing coming along mate

It doesn't say they were more numerous. Merely that the Dark City is HUGE. I guess that means that most of it is empty.

Any year now, and you'll pay

Sure, and the faction is fine. But don't try to tell me Space Marines have personalities. The Primarchs all have the personalities of maladjusted children and their legions have between one and three distinguishing features each. The individual Marines have none.

Dead Sky Black Sun was a good book, for example, but you'll never hear me say that Uriel Ventris is anything but a generic honour-bound protagonist cutout.

the dark eldar where repeatedly stated as the most numerous race of eldar.

then the gate of khaine exploded and a significant portion of the dark city is now daemons.

then the decapitator got his final skull and broke through the webway into the wierdo dimension of wherethefuckistan and flooded the daemons with mandrakes and shadow monsters

so now its a gigantic mandrake/daemon fuckfest and vect is gonna TAKE THE DARK CITY.

AND PUSH IT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

also a shit tonne of deldar defected to the ynnari including vects old flame lelith, so I'm honestly not surprised they no longer outnumber their shitty cousins.

still with the halfborn tech being as good as it is I doubt this state of affairs is going to be lasting very long.

Even for hunting other aircraft? My main opponent is fielding a Storm Eagle Gunship and I need a way to blow it out of the sky. Hard to Hit is what makes me particularly worried.

>Conscript Hordes
>Winning Tournaments
So what you're saying is that tournaments no longer have time limits on turns or games?

Favorite chapter tactic?

forgot my picture to make people actually pay attention to my post

Loosen your helmet buddy.

>They literally ruined the lore of my favorite faction

great

40K fanbase: Sisters of Battle sure are neat.
tumblr trash: OMG SEXISM
40K fanbase: *commissions this*

Giving stats to primarchs for a game this scale was a mistake.

Reposting my meme, any aeldar/ynnar players?

2k Ynnari 7CP
Battalion Detachment
_
Autarch Skyrunner, x2 avenger shuriken catapults
Yvraine
Yncarne
_
x5 Corsair Skyreavers, shardcarbines
_
x5 Scourges, dark lances
x5 Scourges, dark lances

Vanguard Detachment

Farseer
Warlock Skyrunner, singing spear
_
x10 Shadow Spectres, exarch
x10 Shadow Spectres, exarch
x6 Shadow Spectres, exarch

SS get -2 to hit with conceal, get two phases of shooting with soulburst from Corsair screen, farseer with 24" range casts fortune on a unit of 10 rerolling misses to hit on prism rifles that generate an extra attack per hit up to 3. Autarch gives rerolls of 1 to hit for the other units. Yvraine gives free soulburst in psyker phase allowing a unit of dark Lance scourges to attack again.

>But don't try to tell me Space Marines have personalities.

But they all do.

>Dead Sky Black Sun was a good book, for example, but you'll never hear me say that Uriel Ventris is anything but a generic honour-bound protagonist cutout.

It's still a personality you dumb nigger.
Personality != Outrageous or wacky.

>Primarchs all behave like maladjusted children

Dude that's literally everyone ever in real life. You don't suddenly become wise and all knowing when you are an adult. If anything, it makes the Primarchs that much more believable.

Do succesors GET Primarchs? I thought they were Founding only.

dont worry ork friend, when the ork codex comes out im sure it will be filled with cool and fluffy rules for all the klans like hammer of wrath if you charge 11 inches or more :^)

Craftworlders are more likely to commit bestiality to the point of conception and childbirth. Their rigid pressing down of all their lustful desires is barely keeping then from having so much interspecies sex with humans the mon'keighs are bred out altogether.

Dark Eldar are more DYING than the Craftworlders. That's just SAAAAD!

Ultras.
Useful but not entirely passive like the Raven Guard.

every successor chapter is made fromt he geneseed of a founding chapter, so they all have a primarch

Technically ironstriders are irreplaceable though. Because they were all made by one guy thousands of years ago who didn't share how to build them.

Does it still count when they're trolling themselves?

I'm a fan of the BT one. Simple, flavorful, effective.

No. We are not going to talk about it, because CTs do not apply to Stormravens.

Have a fantastic day.

So for detatchments, could I take two Chaos Vanguard Detatchments for Renegade marauders and some tanks in one with CSM HQs and then another with CSM termies and a contemptor, or would it have to be a detatchment of Renegades and a Detatchment of Chaos seperately?
My idea was to have a warband that had marauders as their version of scouts, having the neonates provide heavy and special weapons support while the termies deep strike, with bikes and the contemptor to advance with the Renegades. Just curious how it works mechanically.

Want to purge, but that anatomy betrays her as some twisted chaos mutant.

Progenitors primarch == their primarch; same gene-seed

I am ready for this inevitability.

>fists just ignore cover
Jesus fuck

SALAMANDER PLAYERS WHAT ARE YOUR LISTS LOOKING LIKE THESE DAYS

moving conscript hordes is easier than ever now with the removal of templates and pie plates... although I'm pretty sure Astra Militarum supremacy won't last long

Was thinking of a snow planet based chapter when I finally get some Primaris. Will probably use the Raven Guard chapter tactics, say that they hook weather control they discovered on their base planet to cause snow storms over the battle field, explaining the enemy's -1 to hit them past 12".

I'd feel bad about going for obviously the strongest chapter tactic, but it fits with other parts of the lore I want for the group, and makes sure I actually play them a bit different than my Orks or GSCs.

Anyone else getting inspired by the chapter tactics so far?

on a darker note, the novel jain zar confirms that the deldar think that vect is literally worse than daemons and jain zar herself considers him the most dangerous eldar alive.

of course this is the same novel which makes eldrad a generation from the fall so your mileage may vary, still they've been hyping him up for long enough and I'm impatient for a new model and rules

How does one build a 3-model unit of crisis suits these days?
also if I have 10 pathfinders and 10 fire warriors which one should I buy more? Pathfinders for markers or Warriors for getting buffed by cadre fireblade?

But why? This game already has Superheavy walkers and tanks. Those are way more powerful than Primarchs.

Salamanders seems most potent to me.

>AND PUSH IT SOMEWHERE ELSE.
You mean Make Commorragh Great Again?

>obviously the strongest chapter tactic
Calm down m8.

No, they don't. But the point of *successor* chapters is that they should be able to trace their lineage back to one of the Primarchs. Some Chapters can not trace their lineage back though, or actively hide the truth (Blood Ravens being of Magnus' geneseed for example). So if you don't know where the Red Hunters come from, you can speculate (or make shit up).

>the anti-conscript fag is scrambling to blame it on the tournaments because he got BTFO with his shit theorycrafting that conscript hordes would take too much time
They do have time limits, turns out that all the people who told you this wouldn't be a problem are right and you're a dumb faggot.

You may be interested in the Tau thread Currently, Commanders are strictly superior to crisis suits for basically all purposes, except for triflamer suits. Commanders have a number of solid loadouts, but 4*FB, 3*MP+ATS, and 4*PR tend to be the most popular.

You want more FW. Infantry is really good this edition.

mug a buddy for another two flamers

attach two flamers two one arm and a shield generator to the other

use them as anti hoard harrassment units

for everything else a commander is better

conshits/10

Does the Mechanicus have cortical stack/mind-backup technology?

I like the idea of My Skitarii Dudes being centuries-old veterans who get stuffed into vat-grown replicae bodies whenever it's time for war, and of them ignoring casualties except to stop and rip some overly-invasive implant out of their comrades upper spinal column.

>It's still a personality you dumb nigger.
Wow, a million Space Marines and for 999.995 of them the only personality trait is that they're honour-bound. Wow, such staggering characterization. Shakespeare, get your shit together and write characters with such impressive and multi-dimensional personalities.

Probably. There's even a HH Mech special character called Inar Satarael. His thing is he buffs his army to the ends of the earth for his 375 pts, 3d6 drop highest Morale bubble, 4 independent drones with 3+ sv Jump Packs that provide a 3" interceptor bubble, spot for artillery and lower enemy cover in a 12" radius around them, which can be moved individually to fuck with enemies, has a teleport homer and spots for artillery, casts a range of buffs on your robots like double shots, healing, RAEG and such, gives all your vehicles IWND and boosts reserves to 2+.

He's got a pretty beastly statline with T6 W5 IWND 3+, too, but NO INVULN, WS3 and no EW. He'll shoot like a boss with his Assault 4 Grav-gun, though.

And the best bit? When your enemy finally kills the bastard that's making your army immortal gods of fearless Intercepting artillery damage, he explodes like a vehicle, teleports his casket away from his robot body and concedes no VPs, not even for Slay the Warlord or any secondary objectives. Trayzyn WISHES he could be this much of a dick on the battlefield.

Combimeltas for days.

You're that guy who posted the game against Eldar right? Good shit.

I love Guard this edition and I also love the Ministorum units. So much fun melee and blob moving. This is an older picture, but I've painted more models since! I have 4 of the Bullgryns and the heavy weapons done now. It's hard to see, but the front guys are Crusaders, though I've since updated their model. And the other black models under the building are Death Cult Assassins. I've got 2 more Bullgryn and some special weapons to go before I get started on those models though.

I can't imagine it will either. We're going to be pushed down to midtier again like a proper NPC race.

Nobody fucking cares about the vanilla shit, give me my Angels.

Yeah, the Ironstriders. Which is why I'd never use them, it destroys the expendable feel of the army.

And I guess it does count because if they were being smart and serious about it, they'd never take the Ironstriders off their treadmills.

Thanks guys. I will not build a commander from these suits - at least not now. I'm just starting so I want to play casual games with no waacfag attempts

considering 40k's main influences, genetic infantry would fit in seamlessly

Salamanders is probably the most powerful over the course of a full game against the widest variety of opponents.

Raven Guard is really powerful against gunline armies but will do shit all against, for example, Tyranids.

Ultras is fluffy and fun, I don't know how good it will be though.

White Scars is devastating with the right build but definitely has to be built around.

IH is solid if a bit boring.

BTs is probably the worst, although it's still not bad. If you build around it with deep striking melee units you could have something pretty powerful.

Imperial Fists is kind of garbage tier this edition where cover doesn't matter very often anyway and 90% of the time it will just be an additional -1 AP on weapons that were probably blowing through armour saves to begin with.

We really need to see the Stratagems for all of them now.

Paint your fucking models

Not as big as it used to be. Useful, though.

>dark Eldar willingly backing the "I

If they do, they wouldn't waste it on Skittles. More likely they would have stacks of combat knowledge to dump into faceless recruits. But hey, fluff Your Dudes how you like.

Pure statistics suggest Guilliman: two thirds of all chapters are Ultra successors.

It was also (pre-Primaris) the joint purest geneseed. Given the Red Hunters exist to serve the Inquisition, I reckon the Inquisition will have gone for the purest geneseed.

(Imperial Fists and successors can't hibernate or spit acid)

No, just the semen.

I don't exactly see how I'm wrong, in a general sense. My troops would go from being hard wound with good saves, to hard to hit, hard to wound with good saves. If I'm smart about things, most armies won't be with in 12" of me unless I want them there so I can assault. I can see the others being stronger for more specialized lists, but even Tyranids will want to take SOME shots at my buys, and they'll be more likely to miss.

But yeah, there are other chapter tactics that will be revealed later, this might not seem like anything special in a few months. Especially if other armies are going to get similar buffs, some of which might directly counter it.

I admit, I kinda like the two purely defensive ones best. RG can stay at range with impunity, especially in cover, while IH can shrug of a not insubstantial amount of incoming damage at all times. In AoS those secondary saves are very powerful, so I imagine they'll be just as good here.

good news is they do have mind backup tech

bad news is that its usually only worth it on techpriests because its hard to do.

cloning tech is much harder, even if the admech did have enough mind copies for the skittari they'd probably mindjack random civies and plug the soldiers brains into their heads instead of cloning new bodies every time

I'd suggest running a ranger heavy list, vanguards are considered completely disposable.

the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1953.0

Have a techpriest generator. Anything on here has shown up in canon, although some of it in the FFG books that are questionable at best. Also, that's the lore for my custom Archmagos to justify why he dies all the time. I don't think anyone would mind, just don't go too snowflake with the rest of it. I tried to make mine fairly grimdark, which also presents me the problem of having to write stories from the perspective of a man who can only internal monologue in SECOND PERSON. Here's the lore for my Divisio Genetor leader, since the whole army is converted to be biological-themed. Kastellans made of converted Skaven Stormfiends, Magos on a massive spider, etcetera.

Archmagos Xander Treides is largely a massive cogitator bank spread throughout his fleet, and sends out copies of himself in custom bodies to lead expeditions whenever required. If he "dies", he's obviously still fine, but he loses the data that body was carrying, and his mind gets steadily more corrupted by interference and such every time, so he slowly goes a bit mad. Eventually, late into the Scouring, he realises what's happening to him and locks the useful parts of his mind into the ship, losing his memories in the process. He takes over subordinate's minds and uses their memories and perspectives, which has led to strange command strategy as he commands with the biases of anything between a great Archimandrite and a Skitarii Alpha Primus, each taking prominence as required.

1/2

>Wow, a million Space Marines and for 999.995 of them the only personality trait is that they're honour-bound.

They have more expansive personalities than that. McNeil doesn't write great characters, Ventris is obviously a bit of a hot head, his buddy is more lighthearted and then sombre after getting his Necron arm. His childhood rival is more stuck up.
They're generally heroic, but it doesn't end there.

>ou're that guy who posted the game against Eldar right
yea, thats me. I havent tried bullygrins this edition, but I will say that melee with guard is great this edition.

>I can't imagine it will either. We're going to be pushed down to midtier again like a proper NPC race.
yea, i give it a year or until of codex comes out. until then live it up brother

>smart and serious
We still talking about Admech?

I agree though. Kind of a shame, because I like the models. At least Dunecrawlers are disposable.

Is there a list of Chapters known to be destroyed by the formation of the Great Rift? I want to create a Primaris Chapter whose shtick is that they came across a Chapter-world whose Marines died in a last stand to protect the human inhabitants. In an effort to boost Imperial morale the Primaris marines adopted the heraldry and colors of the wiped out Chapter. Astartes never die, they just go missing in action.

>most armies won't be with in 12" of me unless I want them there
Yep, theorycrafter detected.

Halo/10
make up your own chapter faggot.

I'm very curious how Red Hunters are going to react to primaris.

On one hand they're the inquisitions goons, on the other they worship the emperor and his Primarchs as divine and thus should be happy about guilliman