media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
When was the last time a PC ruined your night? How did they do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/FPKmaW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>When was the last time a PC ruined your night? How did they do it?

Bugbear barbarian metagaming intentional retardation getting another PC killed.

Is weird to say that I've never really had a session of any D&D version that would consider to be ruined.

The AD&D campaign our DM ran was actually rather fun and since everything has been ported over to 5e things have been fine.

It's never a PC, it's always the DM

;_;

Fellow party member, actually. We were hunting down a Wendigo and they, being full of themselves, just snuck off to kill the Wendigo themselves. They expected that we'd wonder where they'd gone and find them sitting on the corpse of the Wendigo with a big smile, deserving of applause, and showing just how much better he was than the party.

Of course, they were immediately killed and turned into a Wight, but the player was annoyed because they felt they could totally take the Wendigo on by himself despite repeated warnings from the DM that it was a powerful creature and was known for having soundly defeated several wannabe-heroes in the past.

Context: This was the character's first night in the campaign and was the first night the player had come to the game. It was also their last I'm thankful to report.

Hey /5eg/, I need some roleplay advice.

I'm rolling a Lawful Neutral Way of Shadow Monk and I'm having difficulty thinking up a code of ethics for him to abide by.

Any ideas?

Hey

Remember the Shifter Prestige Class in 3e (I think it was actually called Master of Many Forms outside of NWN)?

I really loved the versatility of it, changing into humanoids and fucking skeletons instead of just beats. Whatever happened to it?

Any good Homebrew of it for 5e?

What's a good reason for a samurai to be in a medieval European fantasy setting?

Which campaign setting needs some love in 5e and why is it Dark Sun?

Also for those wondering it wasn't just a declaration of death or whatever. He entered the lair, hooting and hollering for the Wendigo to come face him like the epic hero he thought he was and, when face to face with it, told it to make the first move.

Its first move was to try and freeze him solid and he rolled a 3 where he needed a 13 on the die. So, encased in ice, and having left the party with a Stealth check clueless that he was even gone, he was thus Helpless and the Wendigo forced open his mouth and vomited down his throat. Having then eaten the flesh of another man, thanks to the mountain's curse, he became a Wight over the next several minutes.

Of course, during those minutes, we had no idea he'd gone off on his own. He just requested to sidebar with the DM, came back with an annoyed face, and we were busy arguing with the natives that we had to kill the Wendigo - that it wasn't a God.

He was so aggravated by the turn of events that he ducked out halfway through the night after refusing to make a new character.

You are a ninja. You never kill for personal reasons - it's either self-defense, or you must be paid to, and you're not going to stretch the "self-defense" either.

Exile.

You're on a mission to restore honor of your master.

trade delegate

A creature counts as half cover (+2 AC)

How does firing into melee work in 5e? Disadvantage? Can you hit the wrong target?

Difficulty reading maps.

Shifters are a race option in 5e in UA Ebberon

I know this is pretty video gamey, but I wanted to add an enchantment method to items.
Some concerns that came up...
Should the slotted items require attunement?
Is the price too high or too low?

These are the alternatives to the Ruby with damage types for the effects and spells used as a bonus action for the legendary item...
Ruby (Fire): Burning Hands, Dexterity
Topaz (Radiant): Guiding Bolt, Wisdom
Amethyst (Psychic): Dissonant Whispers, Wisdom
Oynx (Necrotic): Arms of Hadar, Constitution
Opal (Cold): Ice Knife, Dexterity
Amber (Lightning): Thunder Wave, Dexterity
Emerald (Poison): Ray of Sickness, Constitution

Yeah I know they're a race. But I was talking about what was once a Druid Prestige Class from older editions.

The deregates, Donarudu-san.

Officially, I believe it's supposed to grant some degree of cover, so additional AC for the target.

My entire group does that every single session. They just sit silently waiting for me to tell them what to do. We have 5 players and it's basically my single player campaign.

I DM a 40k campaign for them too. It took them 3 hours to come up with a plan that was meant to take 5 minutes.

not sure that's what you're asking but i like to clarify this rule:
if you have a creature at your melee you have disadvantage on any ranged attacks (spell attacks) you make.
yes, that doesnt mean you just have disadvantage for hitting this one creature.

The inconsistency in higher tier gem's comparative performance really pierces my taint.

The paladin of the party (who was essentially the main character) kept flaking out for sessions before finally officially leaving the session. He left so he could play realm of the mad god instead

What level were you guys? What could have possibly given him that level of confidence barring immense stupidity?

Explain, please. What's wrong with the higher tiers?

That didn't clarify anything at all

Secret police for his lord.General police code of ethics and conduct but more focused on killing villains than apprehending them.

As long as there's an enemy creature within 5 feet of you that's participating in the combat, you have disadvantage on any ranged attacks that require a roll to hit. That includes spells

Hi friends. I am going to be playing a 5e game with some friends. Most of us--including myself--have very little or no experience playing 5e, or DnD overall. Anyhow, my plan is to play a Ranger and pop pop pop watch motherfuckers drop. Any advice in terms of feats and skills to pick up, good race, etc.? I reckon I would like to essentially be a stealth archer but I want to maximize on sniping. I'll prtobably decide on personality traits during character creation this weekend.

I don't think that's true dude

Can someone who is not a total shit-for-brains make a 5eg discord so we can have good discussions and bolster friendships already?

>stealth archer

Skyrim pls go

>Clerics always carry a mace even though their religion does not forbid the spilling of blood

When will we be free of this silly meme?

LONG AGO IN A DISTANT LAND

8. He really did think he was hot shit because he was doing a net-build that was absolutely the best rogue for killing stuff.

Unfortunately for him he didn't factor in the point that creatures are typically built to fight *four* people - not *one*.

Alright mate, here you go. discord.gg/FPKmaW

Never mind, I just checked the PHB and it's true. I've been playing wrong this whole time...

If I had the list of races and how they were at stealth arching, I would have posted that along with my question. :-(

Nobody's forcing you to wield a mace, user. There are many other simple weapons you can wield.

Maces are fucking cool though. Third coolest weapon after halberds and mauls.

How is the Celestial Warlock pact? What's the best way to use it?

They carry a mace so they can fuck up skeletons.

For races you'll want to pick anything that gives you +2 to dexterity. I'd recommend wood elf for their mask of the wild racial ability. For skills take stealth (duh) and perception (the most auto-pick skill in the game). Leave the rest of your skill choices up to character flavor. For classes I'd recommend either rogue for sneak attack damage and cunning action or fighter for extra attacks, action surge, and archery fighting style. Pump your dex as high as you can and do NOT dump con. Light armor will keep your AC at a respectable number while not imposing disadvantage on stealth so long as you have good dex

I am struggling to deal with one players disruptive behaviour and it ruined the game night for me at least.

He's playing a Paladin who completed his quest arc which involved a series of trials that culminated in the slaying of a foul demon responsible for the destruction of his temple.

Upon decapitating the demon and sending it back to the abyss the player fist bumped the air, leaped across to me, pinned me to the table , pulled down his trousers, flopped his testicles out and squatted his balls into my mouth repeatedly while changing "fuck you faggot demon"

I was really quite flustered but I didn't want to mess with his player agency in such a defining moment.

Perhaps I should apply some in-game penalty the next time he does this though as it was really quite unpleasant, maybe I can make him fall? what do you guys think?

Rangers suck. Like, they suck REALLY bad.

Take my advice and be a dexterity Fighter instead. Your shots will be more accurate and do more damage once you start unlocking combat maneuvers.

Also if you're using feats, I'd highly suggest picking up the Sharpshooter feat.

I didn't ask for the link to the same old shitheap.

Mace is just weaponized rod or scepter, that convey that they are authority.

(you)

That's fantastic. I'll use that one for sure.

I forgot to mention he's of the Criminal background. He's a Ghostwise Halfling and he comes from a small rare clan of other shadow monk halflings who offer their services for coin.

I'm still fairly new to D&D, this is my second character, but I figure him developing some wanderlust and going on an adventure should be fine as long as he doesn't break any of the tenets of his code.

So, for example, maybe he'll only agree to killing a monster in a cave for someone only if they pay him up front?

Isn't that what Deep Stalker Ranger is?

I see you're playing Midget Geralt.

Completely semantic, but I feel like a Japanese translation would be Donarudo because of how they pronounce mcdonalds.

Why did he put his nuts in YOUR mouth and not the demon's? I'm so confused

R is the closest thing to L in japanese, yes.

"L" technically doesn't exist.

Thanks brothers. I have all this wrote down.

No, you work out with your party that they'll give you a share of loot* and rewards, and you'll help them in return.
This is why fucking up goblins in a cave is okay, but when a tough guy starts talking shit in a tavern, you just smile and nod in asian.

* - share of loot, as in they will loot it and give you a share. Never loot the dead bodies yourself, it's beneath your station.

>stealth archer
Bugbear assassin is your best option

What's the best race for a Barbarogue?

Pact of the Chain, and then that invocation that lets you regain max hitpoints on any die rolls while your familiar is near you.

>Barbarogue
The race to the floor, as the noose tightens around your fucking neck.

Do you get sneak attack from firing into melee or am I misreading that?

Bugbear is good for the 13 strength needed for multiclassing and racial features. If you're not using monsters then try out halflings

Wow, that's rather depressing. Also,
>not realizing that rogues generally do better with allies
Good thing he's gone.

Sneak Attack and cover have no interaction.

my advice is to talk with at least one of the other players and maybe see if you can play this ninja/bodyguard role with them. an old wizard who saved your life, whatever.
this is how you create meaningful characters. you create positive background feedbacks with one another.

Why are so many people against using whips? I think they're kick-ass

It's a melee weapon that you can't use for polearm master or GWM.
>But it's a dex weapon you can use at range!
And so is hand crossbow. This one benefits from Sharpshooter, by the way.

The joke is bad, therefore I ask a serious question: a natural 20 on a skill check isn't an automatic success, is it? It wasn't in 3.5e and shouldn't be on in 5e either, right?

Their damage is shit, that's why.

A natural 20 isn't an automatic success on anything, except for an attack roll.

Is this (revised) artifact (less) retarded?

Because they hate fun.

No, it just means you rolled a 20.

You'd be surprised how often this gets used as bait.

Dude, I agree. The unofficial stuff I've been seeing isn't quite doing what I would like to see either.

Some DMs will say it's an auto-success. Those DMs are only half correct. Auto-successes are fine for things like picking locks and some skill checks, but auto-successes shouldn't be allowed if the action isn't reasonable.
>I roll to seduce the lunch
>NAT 20 LMAO
Don't allow this

>Bugbear is good for the 13 strength
Are you implying making a dex barbarogue?

They are actually just considered interchangeable phonemes. yay 100-level college linguistics course

No of course not.

>I jump to moon
>NAT 20
>Woo

>lunch
That'll teach me to phonepost. *lich

My DM often allows good shit when we role nat 20 on skill checks. For example, when I tried to stabilize another PC with a healing kit and rolled a 20, he not only stabilized, but also got 1 hit point.
As long as it's reasonable, and not "I SAY THAT I'M THE KING", I don't know why nat 20 shouldn't lead to slightly better results.

Damage is not very good, Rogues can kinda make it work, though its much better to just get a hand crossbow.

The Pugilist Homebrew makes them strong though!

In function, I suppose. But want to roleplay his personality to be kind of smarmy, at least on the surface. I'm going to be talking as him with a cockney accent (british folklore-inspired halfling after all). It's a little weird and not what you'd think of with a ninja but I also wanted to stay away from the stereotypical quiet asian guy.

That's perfect. Simple and to the point.

Also an awesome idea. Our whole party is a band of misfits. It's me a shadow monk, a rogue, a bard, and maybe a ranger later.

Maybe I could become the rogue's partner in crime or something.

I'm pretty sure there's a fetish for that.

Wasn't it an automated success for saving throws in 3.5e as well? Maybe I just confuse things, though.

Ok, thanks for clarification. I just DMed my first 5e session and had an argument, that a nat20 won't allow him to succeed every skill check.

So, yes you get sneak attack from firing into melee?

It's a build that allows for incredibly high AC from the barbarians unarmored

Yeah, I would always do this to. But mostly because in most occasion a natural 20 is indeed already a success and there is nothing wrong in putting some flavor in.

Although I did a big mistake when, as a reward for a natural 20 on a skill check, I told my PC the worth of a flail snails shell. Only after I allowed another player to find some eggs.

They spend half an evening building a pen for flail snails.

Yes

You get Sneak Attack under the conditions Sneak Attack specifies, which is to either attack with advantage or to attack a target while you have an ally next to them, barring disadvantage in either case.

What kind of overall method did you have in mind? A sniper who picks his shots or a guy who peppers enemies from cover with a hail of arrows?

Remember if an action is impossible, i.e even a 20 won't succeed, you don't let the player roll at all you just say the action fails/isn't possible. ( But ideally offer an alternative or some way they can put the odds in their favour if it's a reasonable request.)

I floated the idea of a 2e Dark Sun game to my group and they honestly didn't see the point of swapping systems for a setting when general feudal European high fantasy serves its purpose. They would do it if there was a 5e sourcebook. I follow two conversion projects and they're both barely playable, literally "here are your races, some settings tweaks for classes, and a barebones equipment list." One of these projects has been running since 2014, so what are my chances of converting the material in a reasonable amount of time while running a game and working a job?

>I just DMed my first 5e session and had an argument, that a nat20 won't allow him to succeed every skill check.
aka Critical Role syndrome

There's a god of monsters and murder in my setting. According to lore, monsters grow from his mouth like teeth and he throws them down into the material plane when they fall out.

Every god in this setting has a legendary item crafted by them that can be used by mortal folk to spread their whim. Does this one sound good?

I had a DM allow for crit successes and failures on skill checks since he really wanted to have stupid memorable funny moments in his adventure. Here's some moments from his adventure in green-text form:

>An NPC and the fighter are having a discussion regarding the slave trade in town.
>PC tries to convince the NPC to give up trying to help the slaves, and give the one's she's stealing to the party.
>"Roll for Persuasion."
>Fighter gets a Nat 20
>"I'm not roleplaying against her character, guys..."

>The party kills the corrupt mayor in town---decapitated in his own home. The party exits his manor to be greeted by every town guard at the door.
>The barbarian throws the mayor's head at the crowd and threatens to give them the same treatment.
>"Give me an Intimidation check
>Nat 20
>"Uh...the people in the front are startled but regain their composure. They aren't backing down."

>Much later, in a different city, the entire party is in prison due to an altercation between the barbarian and a town guard.
>Barbarian rages and attempts to bend the iron bars so he may escape.
>"Strength check."
>Nat 20
>"You don't bend the bars."

Of course, if we got a Nat 1 on a Perception check to see something inconspicuous 10ft ahead we were temporarily blinded.

My absolute favorite:
>Barbarian charges at a monstrous tree enemy and attacks. Barb was focused on doing charging attacks due to feat.
>Rolls to attack. Nat 20.
>Deals 20 damage at level 1. Not bad.
>"Hold on."
>DM tells us he had to fix the monster's HP since he didn't want it to be too easy. He gave him 25HP.
>Barbarian hit the creature so hard it gained 5 HP.
>That fight went on for an hour.

Honestly, it looks like the DM had a stupid notion, but enough brains to not actually obey his own dumbass ruling. He just never should have allowed for crits in the first place.
That said, he has a LOT to learn. There's nothing wrong with adjusting monster HP mid-fight, but for fuck's sake, you don't TELL YOUR PLAYERS. That destroys any notion of credibility you have with them.
Also, your barbarian is That Guy.