/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Bad Astartes" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: What is your favorite weapon that is NOT in the official RPG books, and you would try to get / acquire if your GM let you? Things like volkite, arc, radium weaponry, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/view/?jbeb2ty4hx8kxcc
youtube.com/watch?v=_pMRLnSYWbQ)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does anyone have an OEF copy of The Lathe Worlds? The one in the mega is just a bad scan.

>What is your favorite weapon that is NOT in the official RPG books, and you would try to get / acquire if your GM let you? Things like volkite, arc, radium weaponry, etc.

The various admech guns are pretty cool, but really you can't go wrong with a Best-Craftmanship Hellgun or a pair of Hand Cannons with red-dots and Man-stopper bullets.

I just skimmed over it, but this link seems to be pretty good, though I don't know what Veeky Forums thinks of mediafire.
mediafire.com/view/?jbeb2ty4hx8kxcc

Its legit! Thank you, my anonymous friend.

I'm not your friend, pal.

No problem, appreciative user.

TECH-PRIESTS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CUTE

Has anyone played as Dark Eldar using the Dark Kin supplement? What was it like? Would you do it again?

I find the rules generally okay, but the Corruption track for combat drugs is a problem. There's no way to remove Corruption in RT, and as a Dark Eldar player I want to use combat drugs, yet using combat drugs on a regular basis quickly ends your character from the corruption.

Except the ones that are supposed to be able to pass for a normal human right?

If your GM let's you pull rules from other books, DH 1E has Ascension, which mentions that the GM should allow the player to buy off Corruption and Insanity at 100 EXP per point (or 50 EXP per point if the GM is feeling generous toward characters with higher amounts), take 2 points of perma characteristic damage to one of their characteristics to reduce their Insanity or Corruption by 1d10 points, or trade Insanity for Corruption and vice versa.

I haven't looked through the book yet, how do corruption and insanity affect Eldar characters?

For that matter, how do they affect other xenos like Tau (or maybe even Orks)?

Wow, that image needs better contrast around the ROGUE TRADER title. It's impossible to read as a thumbnail.

Anyway, what do I need to put into a homebrew 40k setting to bring it to life to players?

We need to update the MEGA with that.

LIVE

Is there a Roman Numeral combination that would look like that? I think an Only War regiment that has that on their banner, and it's their regiment number, would be really cool.

The LIVE Naked Catachans or something

I've been looking for a OEF version for forever man. Thanks!

I've run two All Dark Eldar parties (one currently ongoing) and it's worked out so far. I've also allowed Shas'O's alternate careers from his homebrew PDFs. Problems that have come up include , the lack of any fellowship-based skills until later ranks (Makes charming/deceiving in Commorragh much harder), and massive defenses (shield/dodge, actual dodge, armor+Toughness) later on around Rank 4 or 5

I have an Idea for Hiver Scum backstory for DH, wanted to pitch it here to find out if it was either interesting... or rife with autism

>Be some goddamn underhive orphan
>picked off of the street by a mafia wannabe gang
>Gang called "The Schola of Scum", a jab that its made of the kids of the unwanted, instead of the children orphaned in the name of the Emprah
>"Curriculum" consists of learning how to lie, cheat, steal, murder, survive, and pray for the success of the previous 5 things.
>Shit is harsh, but fair to the kids that are: A, willing to please the family. B, useful little shits.
>grow up in this environment

fast forward 10 years

>Survived training, jobs, attacks, and the Arbies.
>Gang has grown significantly, most kids are either teens or young adults and become somewhat autonomous.
>Gang continues to recruits kids to ensure maximum loyalty and respect to the family
>gang is targeted by upstart rival, that doesnt care about frivolous things such as "respect", "decency", "community", and "kids".
>The Schola of Scum's structure and power structure is fucking obliterated by gangs that dont care for protocol or rules... the Laws of Grimdark trump everything. And anything that loves children isnt Grimdark
>Remaining members band together to murder anyone involved
>somewhat successful in the Murder,
>Hive runs red with enough blood to gain attention of Arbies, and PDF
>near indiscriminate revengekilling continues, waaaaay too much attention now.
>old members are dead, dying, captured by THE LAW, captured by gangs. General shitstorm on all sides
>Few survivors decide that a poorly armed and uncoordinated group with zero support will likely not continue to exist much longer
>Anyone with half a brain and 2 thrones to rub together attempt to GTFO offworld to another hive
>Some members successful, and managed to bribe or threaten their way into cargo holds
>CHARNAME one of the few, off to whatever planet the rest of the players are on. Armed only with a Hecutor

Is that fag who made the Union army Imperial Guard regiment still around? I have another song for him.

It is to the tune of "Marching Through Georgia." (youtube.com/watch?v=_pMRLnSYWbQ)

Bring the good old bugle, boys, we'll sing another song
Sing it with a spirit that will start the world along
Sing it as we used to sing it, 50 million strong
While we were marching on Cadia.

Chorus:
Hurrah! Hurrah! We bring the jubilee!
Hurrah! Hurrah! Destroying heresy!
So we sang the chorus from the Kasrs to the sea

How the gangers shouted when they heard the joyful sound
How the trakis gobbled which our commissary found
How the apple-peaches even started from the ground

Chorus

Yes there were Imperium men who wept with joyful tears,
When they saw the honored flag they had not seen for years;
Hardly could they be restrained from breaking forth in cheers,

Chorus

"Gen’ral Creed’s Imperium boys will never stop our blight!"
So the saucy traitors said and 'twas a handsome sight
Had they not forgot the forces of the Emp’ror’s might

Chorus

So we made a thoroughfare for Imperium and her train,
Six hundred miles in latitude, three million to the main;
Treason fled before us, for resistance was in vain

Chorus

They're the LIV regiment, and the 5th regiment to bear the number. Administratum for their subsector denote this with an alphabetic system. LIV E

Any helpful tips for a first time Only War GM?

Don't be afraid of a TPK, but don't aim for it either.

This week only 2 Deathwatch players out of 5 could be there so I had them do a little sidequest

>Dark Angel apothecary is looking for a disappeared DA Captain who was on a track to find a fallen
>knows that the captain's last known contact was with a Rogue Trader named Deckard Diokus
>had stolen a datacore about another RT named Andrea Aaron, who is into cold trade behind a pretty lawful facade
>convinces the UM Devastator to come with him under the guise of "getting intel and stopping the cold trade"
>they pull a favor from an inquisitor to carry them to a meet up with Andrea Aaron
>DA says flat out they will help her getting xenos artifacts but only if they can attest they aren't dangerous first
>UM holds his codex tightly but says nothing
>RT show them the artifacts, mostly useless eldar shit, but there's a soulstone
>both of them fail the knowledge test and they dismiss it as a bauble
>RT tell them contact has been cut with the expedition who found the artifacts
>DA says they will help her in exchange for intel, especially about the other Rogue Trader
>fast forwards to the camp
>all the expedition has been killed by laser weapons, no trace of the leader
>they enter the ruins, full psychic fuckery
>get ambushed by eldar constructs in a little corridor
>good fights, they manage to get back in the main room a bit maimed
>Archont is waiting for them
>UM barely kills DA due to psychic fuckery
>she asks for the stone
>UM doesn't want to negociate but he got shitty willpower, DA doesn't want to be killed by his teammate so gives in and orders the RT to send the stone in exchange for her leaving the planet (a jungle outpost) and never return
>RT gives them the intel she promised, namely hints on two worlds infiltrated by tyranids, and how to contact the other RT
>DA cheats at cards against an officer, he gets told a rumour about a place with planets rich beyond measure
It was their first mission that didn't end up in a clear-cut victory

Ok, also I haven't really understood myself on how the requisition stuff works. Do I just give them their standard issue stuff when they roll good, and just a few stuff if they roll bad?

How does the portable lascannon work? Do I have to wear a backpack power source?

According to table 6-4. Bonuses and penalties to non-mission logistics tests affected by table 6-2 should generally be settled into a final modifier unless if things change such as another regiment arriving or a big victory or defeat.

Bringing the light of the emperor in a larger package. No, but you will have to lug around 5.5 kg batteries for it, so it is probably worth getting one for it.

Do you guys think this will work as a premise for my players first game of only war?

The planet of Dolfus Actus used to be an important mining world for the Imperium, but 10 years ago all contact was lost, and the Imperium didn't have until recently the resources to investigate the planet, until now. A small recon regiment had been sent to the planet in order to investigate why it had lost contact. But when they arrived they noticed that the Governor and his entourage of greedy nobles had turned away the light of the Emperor and declared themselves independent of the Imperium. Your duty as a regiment is to restore order and reclaim the planet, ave Imperiator.

All of that will be told as a sort of intro/mission briefing by the commander as they are on route to the planet

Wouldn't finding out what happened be the territory of the inquisition?

Maybe the commander has been mandated by the inquisition, takes order from an inquisitor, or is an inquisitor himself.

I got it covered. A inquisitor has been conducting an undercover investigation for 10 years I hopes of getting close to a cult and destroy it from the inside. But the arrival of the Imperial guard was unexpected and unwanted for the Inquisitor. He had hoped that his acolytes offworld had delayed the administratum long enough not to notice that the planet had gone of the radar

You could have two inquisitors : the undercover thorian tryinbg to root out the cult and the militant monodominant ordering the regiment

And an Istvaanian having set up the whole rebellion in the first place

I think I will just stick with one, as this will mostly be an optional storyline the PC's can follow if they can figure out that an Inquisitor is on the planet in the first place

is there any drawback to using flamers without training? there is no BS test on firing them

Easier to dodge.

My acolyte cell will in about two session probably find an old recruiting astartes tower, obviously really ancient and overtaken by jungle of Enkidu.

What dangers should be within except for murder servitors, tarantulas?

What chapter do you propose it should be and what treasure should await for them, if any?

toxic plants that release death gas/spores when they step on them

How old are we talking?

Probably to m39 or m40. Long abandoned by the chapter, forgotten by everyone except for the locals.

Maybe roll up your own chapter and them as the previous owners?

Well I would prefer one that is estabilished to be frank

Alright then, how about a salamander owned building?

Could work. Any extras inside that should be there?

Maybe lava pits, automatic weapon testing chambers, an old delusional space marine in stasis, etc

Alright, thanks user

Also make them use unconventional way to traverse the tower, for example; they are walking up a stairway when suddenly it starts to fall apart due to rust and decay. So now then maybe have to climb on all the cables, pipes and other stuff stick out in the wall in order to get up further. Or maybe a button to open a door also activates a floodgate that starts to flood the section they are in, so they need to go up towards the next bulkhead or they will drown

Ooh, yes. I thought about the stairs, but the flood will certainly add tension. Great ideas

I got more ideas;
An old cognator, overgrown with various plants, if activated it will display a last known message, the message itself is the last know position of the planets/chapters battlebarge that has said to been lost for over a 1000 years

Inside a chamber protected by turrets, but they are facing the door, not the hallway, there are also many purity seals on the walls and doors, almost like protective wards. Inside the room there is a figure, suspended my an aincent grav field. The figure itself is a possessed astartes that has been turned into a daemons host. And it want out

An old docking port with a single ship inside, inside the ships cockpit are the skeletal remains of two chapter serves who seems to have killed each other in an attempt to take the ship for themselves

It's great. I wonder if I should add up some deadly animals too.

Sure, some native fauna is always great

Question, would a techmarine know how to perform the Rite of pure thought on someone else ? Is it absolutely reserved to followers of the omnimessiah ? How would you handle it ingame?

Depends on the techmarine.

1st ed Dark Heresy books suggested to give Corruption Points for actions like shooting at civilians, or even liking theatrical act where one actor kills another one. 2nd Dark Heresy books Corruption Points are given for Warp shit only. How do you manage Corruption Points in your game?

So one of my players pissed off eldars real bad. Who should the knife eared send to avenge theirs kinsmen? Rangers? Warp Spiders?

What would be the requirements ? The techmarine wants to take the Rite for himself and is a lot into the "flesh is weak" mentality, but I don't know what are the prerequisites, and who can perform it.

This would definitely ask for high Tech-Use, Medicae, Tech and AdMech lore at least.

What about the implant itself, would that be hard to find ?

Depends on details. But if they really hate him they can contact Haemonculi or mandrakes to hunt him down. His fate will be much more terrible than mere death.

He smashed the farseers skull in while being possessed by a daemon, obviously eldar are to arrogant to see the whole truth

Finding it can become a quest in itself. Asking local admechs would be useful.

I feel that my players will probably just try to shoot this Lord General Ebongrave dead rather than trying to "fix" his paranoia.

that is ironically the best solution

Corruption is the Warp for me, and it always has been. I don't recall DH1 stating otherwise. If you're doing whacky Halo Device shenanigans, you're gaining Insanity Points. Splicing Xeno grafts? Insanity Points and a refluffed mutation to represent it, but not Corruption Points.

'Rejoice for you are true' have at least two instances of non-warp corruption situations. One if someone shoots heretic ignoring the crowds and another if someone like play where some underhiver is killed.

>eldar are to arrogant to see the whole truth

Or filthy mon'keigh is too weak to fight the daemon or kill himself for the sake of others.

Now serious. Only thing more valiable than farseer is avatar itself. I'd say they will not send anyone. Instead they'll lure him into a trap (there are other farseers after all). Some series of events that lead the offender into their territory where they can do anything they want with him and any other unfortunate soul who will be near him.

The players have pissed off the Eldar really bad in my Rogue Trader game too. I won’t go into details, but through a long series of events they ended up ramming and almost destroying the personal cruiser of a corsair prince and stole a bunch of corrupted soul stones with the intent of selling them to another Rogue Trader.

What should the “appropriate” response be for such transgressions?

As an aside, the players all horribly failed multiple lore rolls to know what soul stones are, so all they're aware of is that they're incredibly valuable.

Corrupted soulstones you said? I can see stones corrupting the crew making them posessed. They'll die in a ritualistic orgy to summon keeper of secrets. Later after some fighting harlequins attack the daemon ignoring the crew, maybe even helping them. When all is over their leader thank the captain for doing dirty work and leaves PCs in half destroyed ship.

Sounds good, I like it quite a bit. Fits well with a standard gangster film, but set on a hive world.
I'm curious, does the Schola of Scum give them any form of standard religious education? I'd guess they aren't regular church goers, but it might be fun to give him rules like "Never harm a preacher" or something like that. Basically, a sneaky dude with a lot of unpalatable skills who also has some really strict rules that he's extremely reluctant to break.
Not him, but this is fantastic. I particularly like how Imperials pretty much never talk about "Freedom" as a good thing, it's always about loyalty and punishment for resistance. I love it.
I was working on adapting the lyrics of "The Haughs o' Cromdale" to be about the Imperial Guard. I might post what I got later.
Mortificators, the Flesh Tearers or one of the other creepy chapters. A chapter from the Cursed Founding like the Black Dragons or the Sons of Antaeus would be good. Maybe a Dark Angels successor, with the possibility of the acolytes finding out something they Should Not Know as well as some sweet treasure. As far as treasure goes, a damaged Relic Blade, a portable Cogitator with extensive combat training data, or a data slate with schematics for advanced power armor maintenance/creation could be good. Useful, but not incredible things.
Maybe the tower was abandoned in a hurry, and in the chaos of the astartes flight a small amount of geneseed was left behind. The geneseed was mutated, and had been ear-marked for return to Mars for study and destruction, so the Astartes assumed it had been destroyed in their flight. However, instead some of it has been consumed by a particularly aggressive local species, causing it to grow to particularly monstrous proportions and granting it functional immortality. The beast is a local legend now, and its grotesque brood stalk around the tower as their nesting place.

Do any of the books have anything on armor customization? I see stuff in the lore like "this set of flak armor is reinforced with extra ceramite" or something similar? Mostly trying to see if there's more sorts of customization options I can give to my players.

Check Black Crusade, it has some customization.

Best movies for Dark Heresy mood and tone?

Hostile Acquisitions for Rogue Trader has upgrades for armor.

>if someone shoots heretic ignoring the crowds and another if someone like play where some underhiver is killed.
>Inquisitor declares Exterminatus
>immediately turns into a Chaos Spawn

Shit don't make sense brah. Corruption is warp fuckery. End of.

All three Enemies books for 2e have armor mods.

A-hyup on the general rules. Religious teachings were limited to:
>don't fuck with priests
>don't fuck with holy symbols
>don't fuck with anything that the Emperor wouldn't fuck wit
>always carry an Ecclesiarchy bible, even if you can't read it.

I figured these would be general enough for the Schola of Scum. As it's focused on making kids useful formost, written language may got get taught as fast as say, rites of weapon maintenance, or being unseen in a crowd.

>Damnatus
>unironically the answer to a question beginning with "best movie..."

Truly a day of days.

Assuming Marine's body is recovered, what are the burial rites in Deathwatch?

i thought extraction and preservation of the Geneseed basically covered this.

if it was a great hero, cremation in holy fire?

if it was an EPICALLY FUCKING AWESOME HERO, interment into a Dreadnought sarcophagus.

Non-40k movies as well? Need MOAR watch material

It would throw the whole salient in the shitter. It would make for good plots hooks tho.

Question. If I pick up the Deathwing Terminator Advanced Specialty in Deathwatch, it says I gain a set of Terminator Armour and refers me to the part of the corebook where they talk about standard-issue gear.

Do I or don't I get the Terminator armor as standard-issue? Do or don't I need to pay the Requisition cost for it?

Requirements: Dark Angels only, Rank 4 or more, Terminator Honours (the Crux Terminatus)
Cost: 3000 XP

You don't because Crux Terminator is a distinction and you really need to work your ass off to get it.

You'd be surprised, but one of the premade adventures offers this opportunity. If it's handled well, apparently nothing too bad happens.
The rulebook plainly states mid-adventure "players can shoot him now if they want lol" alternatively offering a convoluted plot to have him removed.

The question assumes I already have the Crux Terminatus. Even if you have the Crux, under normal circumstances you still need to pay Requisition for terminator armor. The question I was asking is whether a Deathwing Terminator has to still pay the Requisition cost for it. The book strongly implies you don't (referring you to the page where the corebook specs' standard-issue gear is, saying that the weapons attached to the suit must be requisitioned or taken as Signature Wargear which implies the armor doesn't, et cetera).

A very few I can name right now: Dark City, Phantasm, Spectral, The Void, Sphere, Event Horizon, The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness
And literally every sci-fi and spy movie (if you're aiming for investigation-based adventure) in the existance, but don't limit yourself cause inspiration can sometimes be drawn from sources, not even closely related to the subject

What adventure is that ? Honestly I didn't knew there was one, I simply made a reference about him endangering the Canis Salient progression with his paranoia and my players caught on. I think Tetrarchus' plan is to offer him a Warrant of Trade to get rid of him but I want to let the players choose if they want to "fix him".

>tfw our game has switched from political wrangling amongst the achillus crusaders and undoing tau subterfuge to ESCAPE THE FUCKING RIFT because the GM follows canon closely

Starship troopers?

Rising Tempest. It's mostly great and I'm thinking about running it myself

Yes you do, just like ravenwing veterans get a bike

Specifically for Dark Heresy?

Tinkor, Tailor, Soldier Spy is really good about building paranoia, conducting an investigation while under hostile supervision, and facing a hidden threat.

Is takedown in DH2e considered an attack action?

Yes.

Since you've got some experience with Rising Tempest, I'm thinking about integrating it into my upcoming campaign, but I was wondering about what you think is the right thing to do if, upon the players reaching the Sororitas cloister/stronghold, there *are* members of the kill-team who regard the emperor as a god. There's both a Black Templar and a Blood Jaguar in my group, and they both are quite clear on the Emperor's divinity in their chapter beliefs (even if they despise each other).

Which would hurt more in your last moments, being hit by a multimelta at close range or being hit by a plasma cannon on maximal?

In both cases you'd be dead so fast it wouldn't matter. I think you'd die before the nerves conducted pain.

I'll take a look at this.

Radical's Handbook onwards if you're playing DH1e, not all in one source unfortunately...

Blade Runner for hive city feeling...

This saturday I am going to be playing a Rogue Trader game, my plan is to go in and play as an Ork any suggestions?

Unless it's a Deff Watch campaign just don't do it.
I've ran/played with Orks on RT ships and they end up isolated on the ship 90% of the campaign.