MTG Commander/EDH General

Gotta Pay The Troll Toll Edition

Previously on /edh/: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
How political are you? What do you like and what do you dislike about your playstyle?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-god-of-pissing-my-play-group-off-1/
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
discord.gg/4f4gs
youtu.be/7pbdXRfwcvk
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-07-17-lEa-meren-of-clan-nel-toth/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it considered bad manors to go after one person until they die? I'm new to the format and even the game so I'm just curious.

After quite a bit of consideration, I've decided to try stripping my Eight and a Half-Tails deck and building Sigarda Enchantress. Suggestions for neat (ideally powerful) interactions? Or should it mainly be the legacy staples with Sigarda swinging to win and Sigil/Ascension as alternate win conditions?

I'm keeping 8.5+CoP because I like it as a flexible, midrangey strategy and because it can be tutored with the same cards that find the other two-card combos I enjoy: Melira+Unlife to eke out a few extra turns in a pinch (which can be a bit more durable in Enchantress), and Linvala+Living Plane.

nice quads

Depends on the boardstate. Most of the time though, its a bad idea, but that's the consequence of politics in the board. Even if you think its a bad idea, a player will go after a specific opponent just because of a grudge.

I don't think focusing on one target has anything to do with the quality of your house

Depends on the context.

If it's just some guy who happened to ding you first, it's considered really poor form and generally dumb. If it's because the player has the highest potential for a combo relative to their boardstate and commander, it's probably fine. If it's motherfucking Tim, and you hate his guts, it's either perfectly fine, or incredibly poor form. If you don't want to come in last, it's also fine.

Have you considered Uril instead?

Sigarda's good and all, but Uril is literally the best voltron commander in the game, with access to every half-decent aura ever printed.

i'm relatively new to the format and no matter what i do people seem to complain.

>turn 2 and i'm the only person with a creature
>attack player who i perceive as the biggest threat
>deals 2 damage
>"woah way to be aggro."

eventually i have to kill these people to win. i don't understand why i'm not supposed to attack defenseless players. many people play very few creatures and i kind of feel like they should have to deal with the ramifications of that.

Not so much a fan. I'd rather keep it two colors for one thing, and I'd rather not draw so much aggro from the table. It's not a problem everywhere I play, but I'd see it happening often enough to be annoying as hell.

Besides, I already have Breya as a "let's fucking go m8" deck.

There are a large number of people who play commander solely to build up pillowforts and do nothing for 30 turns while they set up a sick combo to kill everyone else in one turn. If you put those players on any sort of a clock they freak out

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-god-of-pissing-my-play-group-off-1/

Genuinely concerned about my land and apostle count. Thoughts? Any cool includes I missed?

>Remove all the Reanimator shit you fag
NEVER

>>Thread Question:
>How political are you? What do you like and what do you dislike about your playstyle?
Not very political, I tend to spend the entirety of games avoiding making enemies. I dislike how wrathful I am, if anyone shits on me even a little bit I will beat them into the dirt with a huge grudge. It's strange because outside of the game I do not have anger issues at all.

Except for Corrupted Conscience, but Sigarda doesn't help with that. For that you need Bruna.

To be fair, I have an Uril deck that does literally nothing but gather dust. It's powerful, it's consistent, it's pretty cheap to build, and it's boring as all fuck to play.

If you want to go enchantress, and two colour with white, you're pretty much stuck with Selenya because green's enchantment support is just too good. Hero of Iroas, Agathoian Enchantress, Herald of the Pantheon, Messa Enchantress and Ancestral Mark are pretty self-explanatory. I think Gaddok Teeg could be a fun voltron deck, or you could run Selvala, Explorer Returned and go for big enchantments instead of voltron things. Sigarda paints a pretty big target, particularly if someone plays black, and those dudes tend to be pretty edgy as it is. Choosing between Sigarda and Uril is easy, you pick Uril because he's better, despite being three colours, considering all the aggro you draw.

Like most people are saying, it depends.
If you're focusing down someone who's new, or not a threat while the pillowfort/combo player goes off in the corner during their solitaire game, then yeah. You're kind of being a dick. However, if I see certain commanders, no matter how the player is doing/how well they're ramping I'm going to kill them first. Examples of this are Skullbriar and Kaalia. I've had bad times with Skullbriar not being put in check.

>(((Politics)))

I want to build a really political, Godfather themed deck with him.
>"Yeah, I can pacify that Blightsteel swinging on you, but what can you do for me?"

>Thread Question
I like to think I don't play politics unless I am in imminent danger of death. Otherwise I just deal with threats as they come and focus on whoever seems like the biggest threat at the time.

Unfortunatly I have taken up the mantle of having to deal with the guy who can spend the most on cards, so every week its a new uphill battle of shit. It sucks considerably because I can't afford new shit constantly, and at this point I feel like I am not even playing magic, just trying to stop someone else from playing it. It's a catch 22 though cuz if I stop and just focus on my line of play hes always going to win quicker by virtue of having stronger/lower costed/better suited combo pieces than me. I know I will get lucky and occasionally have better draws/luck, but he always plays competitively so his decks are never 75% even when he claims they are. I've never seen him build a deck that wasnt the strongest edh staples all jumbled together plus whatever shit I can't afford on top. Hell I wouldnt be surprised if he showed up with a Gaea's Cradle soon and just off handedly say hes not going to get to use it, then proceed to tutor it up immediatly. I am pretty close to just calling it quits until I get a better job and can afford to build new decks instead of trying to piece out better things every so often for the 3 I already have.

Minds Aglow, Alliance of Arms, Tempt with Reflections, Split Decision, Custodi Squire, Council's Judgement.

Ya, but I can just run Grafted Exoskeleton and tutor it up.

Alternatively, triumph of the hordes is pretty nice.

in my playgroup people have foil gaea's cradles and fucking guru lands. meanwhile i'm playing budget.

i. feel. your. pain.

I don't like that I go easy on people but it goes against what I believe. i don't feel good absolutely annihilating someone unless is on retribution for them being asholes.

I like that I can have fun even playing against tax and stacks. I just start an interesting side conversation when eggs player goes off and make stasis players play out their decks.
I love to deny concessions on hard control guys.

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Veeky Forums, I need your help.

I'm building Naya Hatebears. What good red hate cards do you know of?

I currently have:

Harsh Mentor
Vexing Shusher
Stigma Lasher
Tunnel Ignus
Viashino Heretic
Zo-zu the punisher
Urabrask the Hidden

>Thread Question
I'm the nonstupid warchief. I don't like playing smirky Johnny generals, but I'm building my big army and I negotiate to know who I'm swingin' at. Usually not someone with the potential the Wrath the fuck out of my army.

Angry Omnath is a cool Timmy commander that is surprisingly political. When you have a bunch of Elementals in your board, people think twice before clearing it and you might even strike some cool deals.

>friend says I match the Dimir as a person

I've been playing magic for about a week, what does that mean

You're an edgy faggot

He thinks you're a beta cuck too afraid to say what you really feel. So you always hide behind secrets and lies.

He thinks you steal shit

>using the wrong link on purpose

discord.gg/4f4gs

>How political are you? What do you like and what do you dislike about your playstyle?
I'm not at all. I play everything at face value, evaluate the board objectively, and dispense justice indiscriminately.

I like that people respect and fear me. They know I'm going to do something crazy, and they also know I'm going to blow up your best thing, so people tend to play tactfully around it. Everyone saves removal for me, everyone waits until I've used my removal before playing something valuable, and everyone knows getting me extra lands, discard triggers, or extra cards is a death sentence.

That being said, I wish I was more political. I rarely win in a game of attrition because I draw too much hate. The best case scenario is finding someone else who draws more hate than I do, then letting them stall until I can win the game.

He wants to make you wear a pretty dress and lewd panties and double sleeve his thick tuned deck in your boipucci.

>I like that people respect and fear me. They know I'm going to do something crazy, and they also know I'm going to blow up your best thing, so people tend to play tactfully around it. Everyone saves removal for me, everyone waits until I've used my removal before playing something valuable, and everyone knows getting me extra lands, discard triggers, or extra cards is a death sentence.

Is this copypasta? It's the most autistic thing I have read since re mach.

I stopped making the OPs just for these little moments here. A hundred generals later and it still gets under your skin.

This is as good a starting point as any
>Favorite color combo
>Color combo you think suits your personality best

Nope, no copypasta, simply the unmitigated truth. I am the law, bringer of pain, judge of the table. If you want to succeed, you play fairly and equally, or you and your "politics" will feel the terrible power of justice.

For example, someone in my playgroup made the awesome decision to play Armageddon. The next game, Brago exiled every single thing they played, and I countered all of their spells until they simply gave up and learned their lesson.

>red hate bears
blood moon

I'm the guy you replied to and I've noticed people get really pissy when I have the ability to kill them, not even when I'm just focusing on taking one person out. If I have the ability to kill the person they always take it really fucking personally. This is why I haven't killed a single person yet in about 2 months of playing.

I'm assuming that the dimir aren't very well liked then

imo if you can kill somebody you should always do it immediately. ending games quickly means you can play more games. if people get upset when they lose that is an issue with them and nobody else.

maybe that's why everyone tries to kill you mr. edgelord man

You might have the 'tism m9

Yeah I was debating that and magus, but ill maybeboard them for now.

Ruric thar
Stoneshaker shaman

>you unironically share a general with this person

I've done it guys, I know exactly how to use Mannichi the Fevered Dream. The solution was so simple and obvious. Building the deck now.

No, they're awesome, it's just they aren't a good set of personality traits to have your friends associate with you.

Izzet players are the most hated, because every one of them is an autistic retard who thinks he's unique for using the exact same cards that every other one of them is also using.

No, they rarely try to kill me. They simply wait until they know I can't answer their threats, and act accordingly. It's no different than I would do, I just want things to be fair and equal for all. Most of my games are relatively simple: everyone builds a boardstate; someone gets something good; I blow everything up and; the table slowly resolves with one person being declared the winner. It's a solemn task to administer justice, it wasn't the path I chose, rather the path that chose me.

I believe it's m8, as in mate. Like a pirate, but with a number instead of the "ate" because it's a homophone.

I really like esper, and my friends identify me as esper, so I guess thats who I am.

blood moon instantly kills 50% of edh players from my experience. most people run almost exclusively non-basics. most people don't play red. and most people don't run enchantment removal.

run exclusively 0 power creatures and then kill them all to trigger an effect?

Vryn Wingmare
Thalia (both)
Duergar Hedge-Mage
Hushwing Gryff
Hokori
STRANGLEHOLD, NIGGA

> Thread question

Hell no, I'm usually too busy playing balls to the wall to bother with politics. It always comes back to bite me in the ass though. I play very aggressively so I'm almost always public enemy #1 at the table. I'll never stop with my big, dumb, flashy plays tho.

Imagine being this desperate to sound cool and feel like people give a shit about you

I haven't really played enough white and green yet, but it's probably Grixis on both accords.

>How political are you?
Depends on the deck. My old Gwafa deck and my current Dralnu deck are generally pretty political/interactive, brokering is fun in those. Otherwise not really.
>What do you like and what do you dislike about your playstyle?
My group is VERY Timmy, and I am a Johnny to my core, so my "pull a win out of nowhere" type of decks make people nervous and lend to attacking me a lot. I understand why though.

No, I do that to my opponents.

>Favorite color combo
Grixis
I love casting the value and tempo spells, getting them back, casting them again and exiling them to pay for other spells. The way grixis can interact to well with all of the resources presented to them; hand, gy, life and board is just to fun.

>buy fucking 4 commander decks
>can't even smash them into a viable deck without buying fucking singles

>Favorite color combo
RED
>Color combo you think suits your personality best
RED

I like being woefully inadequate at almost everything, but doing a few things extremely well

Not very. I usually just try to keep whoever is my biggest threat at the moment down myself if possible.

I tend to get pretty salty if I'm not representing any threat and people at the table still target me over those that are likely to win. Some of my friends regard me as "the best" amongst us, and I guess sometimes they have it in their head that they should take me out, even if it costs them the game.

Anyway, here's a card I feel is underused for Black. It really messes with a lot of decks.

>Got Scarab god in a fatpack last weekend
>Threw that shit into Sultai Zombies right away
>Did a draft today
>Pack 1 Pick 1 Scarab God

That's cool and all but what do I do with a second one?

Give me some hot suggestions on cards that synergize well with Alesha. I like the idea of babby reanimator and figure it wont put a big target on my back.

Ways to get things in the graveyard, fun dudes to pull out of it, and ways to protect alesha

Also, anybody who actually uses this commander have opinions on it?

Why is Ephara so underplayed? Is it because she's competing for that meme blink position with Brago, and Brago is silly OP as a commander?

The thing is that I want to build blink ETB value stuff, but Roon is too shitty and only used for the colors, while Brago is too good. I might build Ephara anyway because I can just hang back and play passively and reap value, whereas Brago just draws a shitload of aggro even when he's doing goofy stuff

Tell me on the doll where the dragon touched you.

>thread question
I think people who use politics are just pussies who can't defend them selves

Oh yeah, the dude next to me opened up an Invocation Consecrated Sphinx. Real fun there.

Hilarious Goblin tribal shite + enchantments and artifacts that strengthen things with one tribal affiliation.

I have one and I have not ever tried to build it, but I know master of cruelties is amazing with it

no one wins in an arms race. even if you do catch up, all that means is that his spike ass will look for new ways to break the format and will soon show up with a food chain deck or something similarly gay af, and at that point you're not playing EDH anymore.

all you can really do is give him a stern talking to

My old playgroup had a couple people old enough to have picked Gaea's Cradles out of actual booster packs. The level of card strength was retarded, so I ended up playing a wacky Izzet infinite damage combo deck so I could win once in a while.

Hey guys its gotten to the point where my collection of magic cards used for EDH has gotten too big to store just in fat pack boxes, I'm using like 5 of those right now and its getting annoying. How do you guys store your cards and can you recommend any storage devices that are good for 100 card sleeved decks?

>realize group hates my guts when I play Dralnu Doomsday
>take out a bunch of tutors and ways to dig for Doomsday & the piles
>add in mega-jank wincons like making everyone draw a billion cards off a copied Blue Sun's Zenith
>deck is a hundred times more fun as a result

Get some trading card long boxes, they sell them on Amazon for like $1-2 apiece

available at your game store for like 50 cents a piece

Avalanche Riders
Ravenous Baboons
Fulminator Mage
Goblin Settler
etc.

tell me about your deck user

kinda go back and forth on deciding if i want galina in my sakashima deck. the best thing about her is she's a combat trick, but i don't want to intimidate people from playing their bombs. though the main issue is paying 5 for a card that does nothing for a whole round -- not even a blocker

What if I'm willing to spend money on something potentially wood-based? Any hard cases you guys know of?

>figure it wont put a big target on my back
If youre running a good Alesha deck people will realize youre the threat as your shit is cheap and quick
The professor did a great deck tech on her \/
youtu.be/7pbdXRfwcvk

look into magic suitcases. that dude professor tolarian or whatever made a video about them recently

>thread question
I normally suck at politics but understand that I do. I normally try to gun for pillow fort decks first because they just become a metric pain in the ass later on in the game, but as a consequence that means I have tunnel vision until somebody else's board gets too threatening. Someone can be constantly pinging me and I'll still do everything in my power to go after the pillowfort player.

Additionally, I normally would like to pull backstabs and just around dick moves in general, but I learned after family board games that people have memories that they will burn into their minds and do not forget so I'll just honor any alliance.

How are sliver's generally viewed?

Only if you share your "special tech" so I can laugh.

As a very big, very fragile threat. They can dish incredible amounts of whup-ass and will generally get laser-focused, but they fall apart if they eat enough removal

They're pretty much hated off the table everytime since they spiral out of control very the quickly.

>How political are you?
As political as you can get without heavy table-talk bargaining. I usually play more controlling decks and focus my early game on defense, hoping to redirect attention by being a hard target. I'll often play defensively when I could break out. Somebody does me a solid, I'll spare them at least at first. Somebody fucks with me, they'll get worse back -- then I'll stop. Basically, cooperate until betrayed, retaliate in greater measure to the offense, then resume cooperation.
>What do you like and what do you dislike about your playstyle?
I like managing threat analysis more accurate than the technically accurate "Everyone is my enemy and will be destroyed whenever the opportunity arises". I sometimes don't like the passivity, go stir crazy, and break out to become the table archenemy.

people immediately know to target you because one or two slivers with the right keywords and everyone else is fucked, the good thing is that most of the times with those right ones you wont be able to be stopped

Hey anons, anyone up for looking over my Meren list? I'm looking to keep it sub $200 and also not just be Hulk.dek, that's in there in case the game drags out too long.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-07-17-lEa-meren-of-clan-nel-toth/

>tfw you are selesnya and nobody cares about your hippie guild

More like I can't fucking attack you until I hit you with a boardwipe first.

I'd build the fuck out of Selesnya if I wasn't already trying to diversify the colors I play he says as he has a Roon draft next to him at this very moment

please help, I should find playing black and red fun but I'm just not getting it to click

I'm pretty bad at politics but when I play with less experienced players I like to present myself as an honest competitor any time they get confused by the board state
Ask me what the biggest threats are and I'll probably include my most dangerous bullshit while also arguing in my own defense, like "yeah ashen rider recursion is a bitch but johnny pillowfort/rube Goldberg has problem permanents I need to exile a few times before I'll consider it fair game for you to exile the cat lady, so probably don't think about it"

Lyzolda / Exava persist shenanigans

Spicy tech for this guy?

Sundial of the infinite to keep your tokens when they would be sacrificed at your EoT (you can use his ability during the end step of your opponents' turn before yours and still do this)

pic related helps you cycle through your deck and pitch more pieces for his ability

My rule is to reserve at least two slots for group hug cards. They're powerful effects that also improve the mood for everyone and make games faster. What I need to change about my play style is to be less political. I've been unfairly unfairly aggressive toward single players looking back. Even a sliver guy can be valuable as long as you keep him in check.