media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
What settings would be the easiest and hardest to adapt to Fifth Edition?

Easiest: Any low/high fantasy piece of literature or media
Hardest: Any system that deals with abstract and definitive differences in technological hierarchy (Rifts, FFWH40k, Battletech) or my dick

I need a good name for a Glabrezu that my players are going to fight in a Curse of Strahd campaign.

I miss magic forcefully aging characters

What's your favorite unconventional build? What's the most bizarre thing you can come up with?

Eberron would be somewhat hard to adapt. It's a setting where you can buy wand of magic missile on the street corner, not exactly 5e level of magic item rarity.

Battlemastermind. It's pretty shit, though, you only really come online (manuevers, help action and second attack) on level 8.

Hank

No one I play with appreciates that I don't want to play meta builds. I have yet to play the glorious Sun Soul Monk I've been dreaming of.

What feat benefits the monks combat the greatest?

Dave

bjornbjorn

What is meta build?

From Forgotten Realms wikia:
>Notable glabrezu:
>Belshazu
>Bizmatec
>Mizferac
>Quinix

Belphegor

Mobile, you can Bruce Lee into the fight and get out without needing to use Disengage with Ki.

>meta builds
Unless you're deliberately putting stats in the wrong place and playing like a retard you'll be fine. I have a campaign running where a wot4e monk is contributing meaningfully.

I want to see a Dragon's Dogma inspired game of DnD. Maybe set an age or two before the ones we know of in game.
It's a beautiful setting with awesome monsters and fighting styles. The whole jumping on monsters thing is cool (I know there are rules for it in the DMG that aren't terrible)

Reficul
Megahitler
Pmur Tlanod

that sounds cool, I always thought a grappler would be fun.

I built a castlevania style UA Ranger/Swashbuckler with a twf rapier/whip. I can use the whip to make trip attacks at range (athletics expertise) while harrassing backline opponents with sneak attacks. Also the Giant Killer ability gives me more chances to sneak attack, maybe Mage Slayer if I take that feat.

Could the 5e system run a good Shin Megami Tensei campaign?

Easy: Dragonlance
Hard: Birthright

>Megahitler
Perfect!

As far as I know there is no "main hand" or "offhand" in 5e. A 5th level twf fighter can make two attacks with one of his weapons then use a bonus action to attack with the other.
So a fighter with a scimitar and a short sword can make two attacks with the scimitar then a bonus action attack with the shortword, or he can make two attacks with the shortsword and a bonus action attack with the scimitar

Dragon's Dogma is interesting for sure.
I would play just to jump on an ogres back and slay him.

Maybe, but there's probably a better system for it. Would press turn work in a tabletop setting?

Alright thanks for clearing this up for me I'll tell the fighter to fuck off.

My group is a bunch of power gaming fucks. DM is spineless and will do what they want to do. I'm SOLd

>hitting weaknesses via magic or getting a crit for a press turn
sounds like magic would be OP like in 4 and 4a

I want to play as a traveling doctor that doesn't rely on clerical powers to heal people what class should I play?

>a bunch of power gaming fucks
discard their opinions and play what you want. If they call you out for trying to have fun tell them to eat shit

Also to clarify you don't need the twf style to make those sequences of attacks, it just boosts them. Also keep in mind that, as the other user said, Action Surge does not give you another bonus action, just another main action. So a 5th level fighter action surging would get Attack action (two attacks), Attack Action (two attacks), Bonus action (one attack with a weapon opposite of either of the prior attack actions' weapon

Have you looked into the Artificer/Alchemist from the Unearthed Arcana from the beginning of the year?

Anything you like that's not a cleric? Just take the Medic feat.

That mechanic was just awesome. Hanging upside down on a dragon's chest striking at the heart, chopping off and beating the various heads of a chimera to death, calling down meteors and tornadoes to fuck up large groups of enemies; just a few of the reasons that this game set itself apart within the Action/Adventure genre.

>easiest
Mystara

>hardest
Council of Wyrms

I don't want to leave before I have another group. I put in my post in the Gamefinder thread

Artificer's can be Alchemist's?

I thought they could only be gunslinger's or some shit whaaat?

They can be gunsmiths or alchemists.

cucks at r/dndnext are doing a subreddit survey

Both of which are painfully straightforwards, but the big thing is that Artificers get expertise (double proficiency) in the tools they choose. You could always ask your DM to let you use "surgeon's tools" for surgery, since the tools in the PHB are limited only to the herbalism kit and healer's kit, both of which are basically first-aid kits.

I guess you could choose the poisoner's kit as your second tool proficiency, since extracting and neutralizing poisons could be part of being a doctor.

That's nice honey

it's SHIT!!!!!!!!

So, /5eg/, what obscure pieces of religion, history, or fictional stories are you ripping off to serve as the basis of your campaign? Confess your sins. Here's mine:

>Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
>Tao Te Ching
>Bhagavad Gita
>Shrek

Ol' Moneybags
Xiao Mei Mei
Smiling Salesman
Happy Merchant
Bling McDosh
Cash Money
Lil' Famous
Bleezy

Indian mutiny

>>Shrek

explain.

Also the Roman invasion of Britain, mainly Boudica's revolt

>explain

The universe is the dream of a comatose god. Initially, his dream is pretty bright and colorful but over time everything is starting to fade away as his body starts to fail him. This reflects everything in the setting the players are in. The Empire that kept the continent together has fallen and its remnants are crumbling to barbarism. There are thousands of gods and people keep reincarnating because the dream keeps recycling their soul unless they realize the world is actually a dream.

Where the Shrek influence comes from are the anachronisms in technology use. The world that the comatose god is dreaming of is deteriorating at a faster rate so the setting gets a little bit weirder. For example, nobles can buy sunglasses, canned potato chips are sold in markets, and roller-skates exist now for some reason. Also at the beginning of the campaign, the players find an ogre who lost his swamp to a rival and wants it back.

My DM ripped a bunch of characters out of Undertale. The setting of the campaign seemed completely normal and everyone involved was caught off guard

Would you just take the setting of Gransys and neighbours, or would you use elements from the game's plot as well?

yfw the DM is the Seneschal, whoever lands the killing blow DMs next game

Not obscure, but WW1

Referencing how a Great War left pretty much everyone miserable and poor, the landscape destroyed, and most young adults dead yet there's still power players that want war for reasons

Do you guys allow reflavoring a PCs race into another with more favorable stats (within reason of course).

Example, a PCs character is as Fire Genesis EK FIghter but is a Tiefling in character.

Why not just play a tiefling?

The setting is fine enough. Perhaps with some of the ruins in their preruined state.

As for the plot though, anyone who pulled that off would be my hero

Because he's a minmaxing faggot

Hmm, this is strange, because most of the players will decide on race looking at their stats and bonuses but yet I would not allow it. I like the idea that some races do things naturally.

Gazebo

I wouldn't allow it
If you want Tiefling stats, you have to deal with the fact that your character is a tiefling. Which involves both the positives and negatives

Fire Genasi has the +2 CON and +1 INT, stats much more preferred than a tieflings CHA and INT, so what said

I agree that most races should have their own niche to fill but my reasoning behind it is that the races are pretty similar to each other in the first place. If she came to me with the idea that she wants to make a human but has the ability to fly and shit like an Aasamir then yea, hard no.

>Referencing how a Great War left pretty much everyone miserable and poor
[Laughs in American]

I'm new to D&D how often do you usually have a session and about how many sessions is your average campaign?

Usually once a week, and that depends on how long the DM wants to run the campaign

It can be anywhere from 1 day to several years

You have to find whatever works for the group you get together.

If everyone can and wants to meet once a week for 3 or 4 hours, then agree to it and do it.

If people want to meet every other week, that's fine if everyone wants to.

Campaigns last as long as the DM has paced it essentially, or how fast the players are moving through the set content by the DM or the premade adventure.

If you want a long campaign you can run it, if you want a shorter one, you can run that as well.

All my groups are once a week barring someone having a birthday or their wife going into labor earlier that day. One group is little 2 - 3 session quest chunks with no end in sight, the other is 'escape the dungeon' which looks to be going to the end of the year, the DM saying they want to run another campaign with us after.

Sessions can go from 3 hours to 5 for an average group. It all depends on everyone's stamina, especially the DM's. I've had a 12 hour session (more like two 6 hour sessions with a lunch break between and dinner at the end).

Campaigns can go for as long or as short as the group wants. It all varies on how much the DM creates if it's a homebrewed setting. Modules all depend on which one. I've never played any so I can't weigh in on that.

I was DMing to 2 groups, 1 one them was 5~7 hours every two weeks, the other one was 4~5 every week. It depends.

Lessee...
>Bloodborne
My players are going north soon to battle a werewolf epidemic that's very inspired by bb.
>Kingdom Hearts
Just for some minor villains and aesthetics, maybe a few phrases and such.
>The rise and fall of the first achaemenad empire
Mmm Persia.
>Don Quixote
One of the countries is called Lamancha and one of their famous knights has (infamously) attacked a windmill.
>a bunch of other shit.
I'm probably unconsciously stealing from a bunch of other shit too, who knows.

>Mistborn
>Stormlight Archive
>Elantris

>tfw half of those characters couldn't exist in 5e without homebrew

That's a good thing.

ah yeah I love being pigeonholed into playing as generic fantasy archetypes instead of unique or interesting characters

Good names for a Galeb Duhr? I had a level 5 party encounter one after it was blocking a path in boulder form and the Alchemst threw an acid potion at it, but another PC actually knows Terran (which I had no idea about) and managed to convince him to tag along. Galeb Duhr is a cool guy so he ran with it, and depending on what happens he might be a fixed NPC, we'll see though. I just called him Rock Boy a couple times when referring to him.

Most of my games are weekly. I do have one bi-weekly game, my only irl game, and sessions are around 5-6 hours. We sometimes go 7, but it's rare.

Didn't mean to quote, sorry bubs

Ben Grimm

Graveler
Geodude

I was thinking of writing down a lewdish (PG-16, but obviously moddable for raunchier stuff) adventure module and putting it on the DM's Guild.

Would you get it for $1.99 (or pay what you want maybe)? About two, maybe three, sessions of vapid fun, it's a sexy whoddunnit.

Eh, I'd probably pay a few dollars for something like that, if only to read it.

Shitposting makes threads move too fast.
>but you want them to be so inspired by it that they get right back up and stop being mortally wounded?
Under the normal rules, that mortally wounded person could get back up and stop being mortally wounded at the start of their turn on their own, by rolling a 20. As long as there's any chance that someone at 0 HP can just stand up and take their turn like nothing happened, with no class abilities involved at all, there's room for non-magical healing to work on someone at 0 HP. It's martial, so just let it also work on an ally you can reach and not just an ally that can hear or see you.
Because Strahd is a Dracula.

For new players what do you think is better? Level 1 or 3? I personally think 3 since 3 opens up your archetype

L1. Let players get comfortable with the basic mechanics for a couple of levels. Knowing how they like playing their character will make it easier to make a decision about archetype

I enjoyed the basic struggle that starting at 1 gives. Let the player get used to the vanilla ice cream before throwing sprinkles and such on it.

Level 1

I give my players a free feat at 1st level. So 1st level is fine, even with all the deadly encounters I throw out.

It's cool. How about Stoney McRockface?

L1. Casters (specially prepared) need a lot of time to understand what they can do.

For new players 1, for experienced players 2~5.

Level 1 is fine but give them double or triple HP so things aren't as swingy.

>give them double or triple HP
>so things aren't as swingy
user...

got me

3 for those who know what they want already and how they will go.

>game is set in a world of magical, floating islands, that range from tiny forests to floating underwater ruins inside a floating lake bubble
>down is violent magical storm covered by a thick layer of white clouds. No one knows what lies on the surface, as those who fall never come back.
>a monotheistic religion rules the world as a great empire, and druids worship old, giant gods from when people lived on the surface
>people travel by arships, pirates are everywhere and cartography is a common craft practiced by explorers who want to unravel the world
is this good enough for a setting? what are some interesting, fun encounters I could prepare for my players?
I plan on doing a volcanic whale island quest for the first few sessions, with a hill giant pirate lord as the villain.

Give them a bit of slack when it comes to lvl1 encounters because a single critical means that the battle tips far into the enemies territory.

you sound far more organised than me. also setting sounds rad, I would love to play in a setting like that. Just know that wizards will mess with it on any given day.

If I understand correctly, an attack roll is
d20 + ability modifier + weapon/magic proficiency + situational modifiers.

According to pic related, what part of the attack roll is dexterity included?

I know that both are bad, but given a choice between the two, does the DMG or Unearthed Arcana: Encounter Building have more accurate encounter difficulty assessments?

I get the feeling that the DMG is more accurate, since Unearthed Arcana: Encounter Building never takes into account the cheese of many weaker enemies ganging up on one PC.

>exploration contracts for mapping areas, which leads to finding undiscovered ruins/treasures and any implications therein
>get hired to protect mercantile airships from airpirates
It's a bretty good setting user. How accessible is flight on a personal level? Like flying machines/mounts.

>good encounters
Maybe conflict with Aarakocra tribes that are like "eyy fug off"? Could have some recurring conflict there. You might be able to leverage the destruction of a floating island, and all the consequences that would entail, out of a quest arc.

DEX would be the ability modifier. Normally, an unarmed strike is 1+STR mod, but Martial Arts lets you substitute DEX instead.