Does this trigger you Veeky Forums? If so, why?

Does this trigger you Veeky Forums? If so, why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is platinum the only one with a different design?

Should it? That seems pretty normal for a moon fantasy currency system.

Differentiate it a bit more from silver and to denote that it is the highest value coin?

That lion has a crown, that's cute.

Copper should have a cute housecat.

They'd be different sizes.

Only slightly, because of its comparison to real-life currencies. I still have no real idea what I could buy in a game with those coins.

Oh shit give me a minute to fetch the worst currency system I've ever seen. I'd like to point out that the most basic currency also only has only one single use. As in only a single thing in the entire gear list can be paid for without higher denominations.

Everything is listed in different denominations so you have to constantly look up those acronyms too.

Oh and it is also a fiat currency that becomes useless if you travel away from a specific set of trade routes.

Who the fuck made that shitheap?

Ok, it got me pretty bad with that 6. I mean wtf.

Really hate the whole platinum being the highest coin value trope.

a little. Direct currency conversion between earth's economy and [fantasy land]'s economy never really makes sense to me. I know it's intended as exposition for the sake of the audience, but still.

You can cut the yen values out of the image and lose basically nothing, provided you show an example of what one copper could typically buy (like, say, a hot meal).

I'm not sure if I would say the word triggered, but given current market conditions that would make a copper piece worth about $9, which is both rather granular and out-of-phase with the value of coins in most systems.

That's not necessarily "wrong," though. If this is in a setting where Yen is severely undervalued or the coinage is special-usage a la Renfaire or Disney Bucks, it could easily make sense in context.

>using decimal for currency denomination
>not using duodecimal like Europe did with everything (time, weight, length etc. measurements) before the French Revolution fucked everything up
youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc

>using currency based on numerous different precious metals
>not just using gold and iron for everything, the value of the coin varying depending on the gold concentration in the coin

This triggers me, good job, 7/10 bait.

Not making the cat a little more royal looking at each step is a wasted opportunity

It kind of annoys me, but I can get past that with how practical it is. So long as I don't need a cheat sheet to convert silver to gold I can live with it. I'd sooner just say you get a bag of coins and they're worth X gold, without ever specifically saying what they are and leave it up to interpretation if there's gems, gold or silver coins from another country, or anything else that would be widely accepted as currency in there

>not liking base 10
I will butcher you in 12 meme parts, don't worry.

>7/10
I give your post 1/12 for managing to fuck up the last part.

I see what you did there.

Didn't Veeky Forums manage to make the worst possible currency system in one thread?

The availability of ores may be completely different in a fantasy world. At some point in history false gold pieces were made with platinium, that was cheaper.
Also, they might not be made of an unique metal; even current gold pieces contain 10% of silver so they don't wear too quickly.

>The availability of ores may be completely different in a fantasy world

You still won't see many real-life, everyday systems where the smallest possible coin conveys $9 worth of value. Most day-to-day transactions require more granularity than that.

I want to know the names of all the people who want this so we can begin exterminating them.

Only nobles and merchants can afford to have money, the rest of us barter, or in some towns use company scrip.

No, Zimbabwe did that.

The comparison to real life currencies is a godsend in tabletop. Usually all we get is "An unskilled laborer can survive on a silver a day". It's even worse in games that use a Resources system, where yeah we aren't keeping track of the exact amount of pocket change you're carrying on you but we'd still like to know how much things cost for RP and description reasons if nothing else.

I'm sorry, that can't be the worst because it's not the currency in Harry Potter.

why don't we just shave 3 zeroes off the copper and go with that?

>current year
>believing that all precious metals maintain a stable value relative to each other

yeah but the currency conversions were an explicit joke I thought, wizards do everything whimsically in that book, especially in the first one.

The numbers on the right is real life yen, it's saying how much the fantasy coins are worth in moonbux

No, it's because J.K. Rowling can't do maths and really didn't see the problem with units of currency that were two different prime numbers.

I think user is making a joke about how 10 yen coins are made of copper.

what anime is this from?

As someone who works in the bullion trade, the solidity of fantasy currencies is very reassuring.

And economics in games is fun too.

Ah, for the simpler days of guineas, farthings, ha'p'nies, florins, half-crowns, and groats. Also, let's pretend that pounds divided into twelves instead of into twenties.

No, she was explicitly making fun of pre-decimalization British currency (and old timers who thought it was ever a good idea) where you had 20 shillings to a pound and twelve pence to a shilling and so on.

I tried doing a currency system where 50 copper equaled one silver, and 20 silver equaled one gold. It was surprisingly annoying. Games use base ten for a reason, kids.

You're exposing your ignorance here friend.

>I will butcher you in 12 meme parts, don't worry.
Says the guy who has 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 30 days in a month and roughly 366 days in a year.
Says the guy who has 360 degrees in a full rotation, 60 angular minutes in a degree and 60 angular seconds in an angular minute.
Says the guy who uses pounds, gallons, inches and other assorted non-decimal shit to measure stuff on daily basis.

> not using French revolutionary calendar and clock
>not having 12 months, each 30 days and 5 holiday days for every revolutionary virtue
>not having 10 hours in a day, divided into 100 minutes each

I file it under "Acceptable breaks from reality" Realistically, the value of a coin is going to be based on a lot of factors. Material is one: a silver or copper coin is generally going to be worth a fraction of the value of a gold coin, all other things being equal. The actual value of a particular coin is also going to depend on the weight of the coin (More metal is obviously better) the quality of the individual coin, and faith in the issuing mint (failing governments can only adulterate their gold with lead for so long before merchants get wise and start counting the coins as less than face value). Given a material, especially the precious silver and gold, there will probably be several types of coins with values that vary wildly: the big silver fucker with all the text issued by that one autistic city-state's Merchant Association (and thus generally respected as being pure and accurate) may well have a good deal more purchasing power than the local dirt-farming fiefdom's gilded lead pea. Unless, of course, you're dealing with dirt-farming fiefdom officials or trades forcefully backed by the same suggesting you should take the pea at face value. All this added up means that even if some time in the distant past two coins were intended to have a friendly fraction exchange rates, like twenty-one Imperial Silver Eagles to the Imperial Gold Sovereign, they probably don't anymore, at least in international markets. Also WTF Platinum?

But in an RPG? Fuck the bookkeeping. If I kick in the door in an ancient ruin, kill the undead former owners, and grab their inexplicable piratey treasure chest full of various and sundry coins I don't want to have to spend days in authentication and calculation to be able to spend my money. Decide on a value unit and reduce everything. If you're playing "Ryuutama: Spice & Wolf Edition" indulge the currency autism, otherwise just tell us how much buying power we have on hand in a unit we can understand.

Most writers cant do math. It is not a secret that many of them become writers because they hated math in school.

>Party raids dungeon, loots one platinum coin
>goes to next village to buy equipment and food
>none of the villagers can give change, because even a silver coin is a fortune to them
>party has to go to capital to swap platinum coin
>gets robbed by high-level bandits on the way

everytime

>high level party
>looks a chest full of platinum coins
>goes to the next village to buy equipment and food
>pay for everything with one platinum coin each
>"keep the change"
>fawned over like a Saudi oil baron
Git gud, noob.

But the two kinds of currency are equally confusing to her. She knows too little abouth math to construct a joke about how one system of units works better than another, because to her they're both impenetrable. It's the same with the messed-up class sizes and student-teacher ratios, and why nobody actually uses arithmancy when it probably could have helped somehow in the war. It's kind of sad, and I'm glad she could overcome her disability and find success.

I've always found this kind of dumb. So the average laborer can scrounge up maybe 10 silver a year after expenses or whatever, but the average goblin wanders around with 5 times that much just from picking his nose and stealing.

>Hyperinflation
>Collapse economy
>Everyone dies
The only idiot here is you

The party gets out of that one fine.

As for the town, they might gain significant affluence if they can get that platinum broken into normally spendable cash, otherwise the coins would likely become family treasures to get squandered in future generations (or future drunken benders) of trips to the big city.

Alternatively, Brigands catch wind of the fat stacks of little coins that were dropped and clean out the town in short order. They will later be hunted down by adventurers who will take the treasure (either the original platinum or whatever the brigands bought with it) thus continuing the circle of loot.

>Alternatively, Brigands catch wind of the fat stacks of little coins that were dropped and clean out the town in short order. They will later be hunted down by adventurers who will take the treasure (either the original platinum or whatever the brigands bought with it) thus continuing the circle of loot.
I wonder if DND economists write treatises on the world's loot-based economy.

Not even DND. There's tons of literature written on the economics of Somali piracy, which is basically murderhobo adventuring in real life.

I don't know if she can do math or not but a *lot* of her worldbuilding seems to indicate no effort to think of antecedents or consequences.

>not using radians for angles

No, why would it? I don't need to have it translated for me; I've read enough supplements and splatbooks to figure out that a GP is a shitton of money for the average commoner.

Count to pi for me, mathfag.

That's very basic as far as monetary systems go.

>1 copper coin = 1,000 yen
So the smallest unit of monetary value is equal to about ten bucks? Wow. I'd say inflation must be crazy, but the whole point of this sort of comparison is to give a sense of how valuable the currency is, so that can't be right. Weird.

Well, I guess small things are just purchased in bulk more often than not in generic medieval fantasy land, so there's probably some logic to it. No one wants to carry about too many coins. Probably makes haggling a pain when the smallest unit is worth so much, though.

She's expressed anxiety about it. Whenever anyone asks her a question related to numbers of things she usually exlaims something like "oh, dear..."

I'd say it's more likely people would just trade goods for low cost things under those circumstances

Aspiring novelist here, can confirm.

If that were true, wouldn't there have been some kind of joke that was more clearly intentional, like the money in Discworld? As it stands, wizarding currency isn't even as funny as real pre-decimal British currency, with its funny ways of talking about mixed quantities of money, its more ridiculous denominations like the guinea, and its non-matching abbreviations.

One thing RPG writers seldom understand and incorporate into their rules and world building is that hard currency is very rare in premodern eras, and most production wasn't commodity production.

Most things were produced for their use-value. Food raised by peasants was intended for their own use, or was tithed directly to their lord. The same with most implements, tools, etc. Only in the towns and cities would the use of money would be common, and often things would be bartered rather than exchanged for currency.

Won't the easy way get you accurate enough that you'd have to be calculating something like the radius of the orbit of the earth around the sun before errors started to show?

Trouble is, she couldn't write either, and thought 'IT'S FOR CHILLUN' could excuse bad writing and bad worldbuilding.

To be fair, that sounds a lot like "Wizards - no sense of right or wrong", and as such fits completely again.

Which then requires travelers to have stuff of low value yet high demand that they can barter with, or to buy a substantial amount of such stuff and basically use it as fun shop tokens to do their shopping/trading, before they head out on the next leg of their trip.

It's not that they don't understand it, it's that dealing with it is usually a hindrance to the story they want to tell.

I guess I'm beating a dead horse, I just find it kinda funny, how this setting seems to say, "Pennies? Screw that, we don't even tolerate dollars! Gotta throw down with Hamilton if you want to roll in this marketplace."

Only because a copper should be closer to 5 or 10 yen, not 1000 yen, if each denomination is previous ×10.
A single copper coin is not worth 10USD. Beyond that, whatever.

>Does this trigger you Veeky Forums?
No.
>If so, why?
I don't really care.

This. If one copper is 1,000 yen, how do you do 100 yen transactions?

The same way people did in real life: chopping the coins down into smaller bits.

>current gold pieces
what do you mean, some people still use gold pieces ?
also thanks for the rest of your post, it's a nice bit of info