Animals to people

Typically, when a human is transformed into a frog, they assume the frog's stupid mind and lose their humanity - if not immediately, then over time.

But what if an animal was transformed to a human? Could they learn to think like a human or would they retain their animal instincts for all time?

This is currently relevant in my game, where an ox got transformed into a gnoll and I could always use some fun shenanigans to make out of this.

>Depends on the sett-
Give us your own favorite interpretation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kG87XVIU1Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=vWAq4w1h--M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Could they learn to think like a human or would they retain their animal instincts for all time?
They would learn how to behave like a human very quickly.

My last Villain had a lieutentant sorceress who was originally a cat and was turned into a woman by the Villain. She was very grateful to him for giving her sentience so she did not back down like the rest of the villain's allies when the party came a-knocking.

If we try to be "realistic" about it, most of what constitutes for human mind stems from our complex brains, that allows for complex thought processes and learned behavior. However, a huge portion of "proper" human behavior is precisely that learned behavior, so an animal that was suddenly transformed into a human, would lack those learned behaviors.
If they retain the simple memories their animal selves gained during their life before their transformation, one could imagine that those memories would have an impact on their human selves, but to what degree, is hard to say. The question also depends on WHAT animal is transformed. A dog for example, actually is very close to humans in terms of how they understand social interaction etc (it is one of the key reasons we are so good palls with the doggos), while something like a frog is so far away from our state of mind that it is hard to even imagine what (if anything) goes on in their heads.

Depends. If the spell increases the animal's intelligence, then maybe they can be taught. If not, it's still that animal in mentality, it just now has human features.
Actually had an instance of the latter pop up in an Anima game. turns out some dumb young wizard student got his mits on the Chimera spell, was running around turning different wildlife into humanoids in the hopes of getting his rocks off. It led to some serious insanity further on, when the party was called in to capture some of the strays. do you have any idea how hard it is to get a woman out of a tree when she's chittering like mad at you, pelting you with acorns, and naked?

Maybe it depends on how old the animal is/how old their human form is. I think I remember various stories of severely abused children that never learned to read, write or even speak properly. The younger siblings were a lot easier to rehabilitate than their older siblings.

That is due to the fact that there are certain developmental phases humans go trough during which they NEED to learn things like language and speech (as in, learn how to just fucking talk) and if they don't, they will never learn them. Same goes for socialization in general.

They will still be be animal intillegence.
There are storis about people who were raised by animals and these people never integrated.

If they have human brains, they will be smarter than they were while they were animals. That of course, doesn't mean that they will act like humans tho as they lack the learned traits we associate with proper human behavior, and instead just have the rough wetware upon which we build our minds trough socialization, learning and being taught proper behavior while young.

I fear the day we give a Raven human intelligence, or even just a humanoid body. Those little shits are too clever for their own good.

It'd be terrible. They'd be completely uncouth, feral, and would most likely enjoy rough sex on all fours.

>would most likely enjoy rough sex on all fours.
>It'd be terrible

minor nitpick
>sentience
sapience

It would depend on the animal being transformed as well as the relative ages of the animal/human forms. As several anons have pointed out, simply having a human brain will give them more tools to work with, but not the knowledge we expect humans to have, like how to socialize or speak. Converting an animal to a human child could help solve some of these issues by allowing for additional development time.

Animals we already consider sentient would adjust the best to becoming humans and gaining sapience. Dogs, dolphins, ravens, and certain other species of bird would be the most likely to adjust to human life rather than remain feral.

Cats are intelligent enough to be in that class, but in my experience cats HATE change. Being changed into anything other than a cat would probably drive them insane, which is a risk for other animals, but essentially guaranteed for cats.

Are cats republican?

Even humans can't really adjust to human life unless you get them before age five.

Wait, is that the squirrel from Sword in the Stone?

...Given what happens in the actual myth, she'd probably make a better queen than Guinevere.

Most definitely. Boy should have traded that ho for the squirrel girl

Probably a squirrel princess anyway.

They will be adorable bird-brains and good friends.

After certain age even humans have trouble learning basic things like grammar and sentence structure. They would at most learn to behave like the others and some words. But they would be unable to live a normal life unless they are turned into a baby and grow from there.

Squirrels beastkin are great anyway, that's just fact.

Oh hush, we're talking about a world where humans can be cursed with the form of animals and animals can be transformed into attractive humans. I'm pretty sure arguments regarding realism should be left at the door.

No

If the bird is only two years old and then becomes a human lady, even if that two years was a lot for a bird, it's still two years to a human, so there's plenty of neuroplasticity retained in the change to a human body

Consider the horror of transforming say, a whale, orca, or elephant, creatures which are extremely fucking intelligent save for lacking thumbs, and realising that once it finishes spazzing out you might not be able to stop it.

I think the concern about crows earlier is fairly significant too. Like, you've given it a lot more hardware to work with, vs. a brain the size of a pea that it was already accomplishing great things with.

Based on tales of feral children though, they'll never be people who can fit in. Even if you take the argument that a feral human who didn't activate their language centres represents a damaged human brain and therefore an otherwise healthy animal will produce a human with no learning difficulties, all of their prior experience of humanity is external.

Depending on how much attention they paid, they might actually be able to carry themselves with the body language of a human, dress like a human (Albeit probably with none of the buttons on their clothes done up), and even eat like a human rather than an animal, they wouldn't be able to speak full sentences for a LONG time, and would have a plethora of habits that no sane human would ever pursue. Honestly, even an animal like a cat might not make the connection that you should take your clothes off first before you take a shit.

Squirrel Girl got an upgrade

But do her lips still taste like hazelnut?

I don't know why, but I would imagine human intelligent Ravens being extremely loyal as long as you treat them nicely.

Dunno, why don't you ask her?

This is a bad idea user. Burn all your notebooks. Now. It can only end in tears.

Like drinking eggnog

She really would have made a better queen than Guen "Cucked.org" eveire

Sure. They'd still be clever assholes though.

the ravens were total bros in the hobbit the book, not the shitty CGI version

What the fuck happens if you have a kid with one and the spell gets undone?

>turn crow into human
>have kid with crow
>spell on kid is undone
>kid is now tengu

What an obscure waifu of the month that was.

Gonna piggyback off of this for a moment.

How would you interpret this situation?

>start out human
>get cursed into small animal - maybe a hamster or a squirrel, maybe a raven or an oriole, maybe a cat or a dog or a rat
>spend about six months in that form
>the curse is undone after that point, but only partially - you've still got a bird's head or cat whiskers or a squirrel's tail

Does the person remember having ever been human, or are they a blank slate as a beastman, with only their animal memories to go on?

If I were to create magic that only transforms the body, all I'd get is a dumb who can't comprehend ideas such as speech or toilet paper. A bit useless really. They need a human mind. Or something close to it. I can picture a weird wizard who enjoys leaving his creations with little reminders that no matter how much they learn and adapt, they will always his at cats and stare at shinies.

It really depends on how and why they were transformed in the first place. Was it to take away their humanity and leave them as a dumb bird who can't even comprehend it's past life? Beastman. Was it to only make them physically powerless, or perhaps just because they really wanted to fuck that otter without anyone complaining? Keep the Human bits.

>today was the day that user utterly failed to get the joke, despite it being delivered directly to his place of residence

This gif would be better if it didn't loop.

I like to think that it could be possible for the animal turned human to learn very quickly how to act "humanlike", as long they have a tutor to follow it strictly.
The brain, suddenly passing from a small animal brain, to a fully developed human brain, would be quick to gather info and fill the huge voids it would have, sort of like a baby that learns much faster than an adult due the brain development, but with the growth compressed in a span of a moment.
If left alone, it would still be animal like, but give it the right things to learn, and he'll be able to become in a short time a human-like person. Of course, longer aid would be needed to fix old habits and various different issues, but that's another story.

I'd say that young human form would be nearly mandatory. Unless a brain in the human form comes already developed like that of absolutely regular person with some basic "operating system" with all the basic data allowing them to function like a normal person, the person would be retarded - lots of human ability and brain function comes from developments during childhood, pushing the boundaries, learning things, developing certain neural pathways. There were experiments and studies on kids abused and isolated from society or even supposedly raised by animals. While some capabilities of theirs were well above that of average human of their age, in some they were limited for the rest of their life - for example, being unable to really speak well and only in crude, grammatically incorrect, paused sentences befitting a total, unfit for society dumbasses, usually to express the simplest of thoughts - all despite obviously being able to understand and learn complex actions and sequences of action through observation.

Three-legged crow best birb, even if she's dumb as a stump. Mystia a close second, Gofast dead last.

I tend to run my animals very Aesop's Fable-like. Meaning that if the players attempt communication with the animals, they can talk perfectly. Not magically or anything, just a natural part of the world.

This started up when a pack of wolves random encounter was going on in one of my OSR games.
>Players are at a panic, no good place to run or hide, they are very weak, and pretty much dead.
>P1: "I tell them to stop. Just stop"
>Pause for a moment, think back on all those fables I read as a kid
>Put on a gravelly voice
>"And whyyyyy should we stop, HU-MAN? We will crush your bones with our jaws, and rip you to shreds"
>Party shits themselves with a million questions
>But no, they're just normal wolves.
>Eventually wind up making a deal with the wolves to spare them in exchange for gold and gems that they might lure other humans into their jaws.

And now we know why random forest animals in video games carry gold and gems.

There's a video of this:
>youtube.com/watch?v=kG87XVIU1Y4

>cracked

>tumblr in the filename

>9gag in the corner

You poor thing

It was a thrush

Corvids and parrots are very smart, and often grow attached to specific people.
But even when they're being cuddly and want nothing more than to hang out with you, they're still little assholes. The idea of not stealing or shredding food and interesting (read: forbidden) things is alien to them. One with a humanoid body would get a lot better at pranks, and a lot better at intentionally pissing you off for reactions.

who are you quoting?

I'd deal with the pranks as long as I could cuddle said prankster birb.

This is my fetish pls post more

Well, first off, you should actually learn cognition in animals. That looks like it's going to take a while.

Newfag.

Try and stop me.

I personally think that it would be a feral child deal, where the potential to become "human" is there, but it would require lots of uphill training due to how long they've been out of civilization.

Also who is this qt and why does she have best hairstyle?

I always figured that the animals ate the gold and gems when they killed other adventures and you get it when you poke around in it's guts. A wolf would not bother to take a ring off a finger before eating it and a leather coin pouch is not too different from human skin that i can see it swallowing it.

>who is this qt
You remember that old Disney movie, The Sword In The Stone? In it, there was a scene where Merlin transforms Arthur into a squirrel so he can learn about the world and see things from another perspective. While in squirrel form, a female squirrel falls for Arthur and goes out of her way to try and save his life from a hungry wolf, so she can get some 'quality time' with the young monarch-to-be.

Just after the wolf is shown off and the female squirrel is snuggling squirrel-Arthur, Merlin, who's been having woman troubles of his own, has had enough and sees Arthur freaking out about, "Oh god it's a girl, what do I do?!" and turns him back into a human. This breaks the female squirrel's heart and she scampers off to cry.

THIS picture on the other hand, supposes, "What if Merlin turned her into a human as well?" The answer to that question would, apparently be,
"It'd be adorable as fuck and she'd be a far better love interest than I-fucked-your-best-friend-and-number-one-knight Guinevere."

>one of the few Disney movies I haven't watched yet
Been meaning to watch it, along with The Black Cauldron. Looking it up even the squirrel-form squirrel is adorable, fucking wizards breaking hearts.

See, it's stuff like this that makes me think, "If we find aliens and they're on a planet broadly similar to Earth, why WOULDN'T they look a lot like us?" If they had to evolve to deal with similar problems, there's a good chance they'd evolve in much the same manner, surely?

On a totally different topic, it's fascinating looking at stuff like this as then sometimes it just clicks like, "Aaah, that's why there were myths giving these creatures human-like traits!" It's so cool...

The Black Cauldron was... Eeehhh... Alright, but I read the books years after watching it and was all, "Wow, this would have made a much better story than Disney's crap."

Also, in Merlin's defence, Arthur WAS the one asking him to turn him back and do something about the amorous squirrel burying her face in his chest... God dammit, now I want a cuddly squirrel-girlfriend...

What's the right mix of human-to-animal traits, do you think? Physical and mental?

>If they had to evolve to deal with similar problems, there's a good chance they'd evolve in much the same manner, surely?
That's still a bit of an "if". Even taking into account everything that happened on Earth just to make our evolution into sapient beings possible, we can't possibly imagine what manner of other trouble an alien world would've had on top of that - or what issues of our own they managed to miss.

>What's the right mix of human-to-animal traits, do you think? Physical and mental?
About 90 to 10 physical, 99 to 1 mental. Enough for the ears, the eyes, a few subtle physical quirks, and a cheery bestial disposition, without going full-on furry or bestial.

Convergent evolution is a thing, but it doesn't often work in the way you are speaking of. Look at the wings of insects, birds, and bats. They all serve the same purpose, but they look and function quite differently. If nothing else, an alien would at best have two legs, two arms, and a head, but everything else is off the table.

I for one look forward to that day.

>tfw no slightly goth-y smart prankster girlfriend

Fuck, ravens are in fact best birb.

I'd want a more Nordic angle, sending her out each day to gather intelligence and tell me her secrets after making love each night

>Give us your own favorite interpretation
My favorite interpretation is:
It depends on the setting.

The rules for what happens to transformed people and animals should be kept in line with the tone of the setting.

In darker settings it should resemble rape on a horrific mind bending scale. In light hearted settings, it's a thing to be done casually with no long term consequences one way or another.

user...

That could work, but I'd like a closer relationship.

So what I'm getting is that seeing Mokou and Okuu in bed together would be really Hot

>If they had to evolve to deal with similar problems, there's a good chance they'd evolve in much the same manner, surely?
Don't know if you've noticed, but most animals have basically the same structure.
Not because it's a good structure, but because it built off of what it had.

If we ever meet any aliens, they'll be built off a radically different structure.

Dunno if this is relevant but I sometimes chuck scraps to the crows at my campus, so long as no-one's around. It's kinda cute, the way they tentatively hop forward to see if I'm baiting them then grab it and hop back.
I had a little crowd going once, but I had to leave. I should do it more often.

Black Cauldron horrified me beyond belief when I was a child.
Fuck this fucking cunt.
Jesus fucking christ.
Also, fuck this scene.
youtube.com/watch?v=vWAq4w1h--M

I wish it'd done better.

It wasn't a -great- flick, but it wasn't a terrible either, and I think we all could've used some more mature cartoon films - from Disney and from others.

It could've gotten animation age ghetto over way earlier and smoother.

>out on the football field at college for some reason, PE I think
>there's a big ass black bird circling above
>oh its a raven; I learned later on that his name was Ray - Ray the Raven, very creative
>Ray lands on the field in the middle of all these people playing soccer
>he doesn't give a single shit how close people get and just caws at people while chasing some around
>when class is done I coax him over to me and get him up on my arm
>Ray doesn't care, pecks at my arm a few times though, probably begging for food
>I have to say goodbye though and leave, he lands on my car before I take off though
>next day I'm on my way to class and there's a crowd of girls gathered in front of the door
>there's Ray the fucking raven, he's holding the door hostage
>I walk past everyone and pick him up because I'm curious what the hell he's doing
>everyone thinks it's the coolest shit and want to pet him
>Ray is not much of a wingman though and scares them off by cawing at them
>again I have to leave Ray so I can go to class
>this was the last I ever say of Ray the Raven
I learned from a teacher that he was some ladies pet but she passed away and he took off when they came to get him, and that what he did was fly to the college to beg/accost people for food at the food court. Apparently he didn't normally let people pick him up even when they gave him food. I might of kept him but I never got the chance.

>turn snake into human
>it takes months to teach her how to chew her food and make it a habit

Nevermind chewing, how long would it take for her to even learn to walk?

That one can be learnt fairly quickly. so far as regular movement goes, if its got a human enough brain it'll learn real quick.

I'd give it a week before its walking normally. Pavlovs a bitch.

no it is u that failed to get the joke
the correct answer is
4u

>Black Cauldron horrified me beyond belief when I was a child.
That scene made me want to be a cool necromancer.

>See, it's stuff like this that makes me think, "If we find aliens and they're on a planet broadly similar to Earth, why WOULDN'T they look a lot like us?" If they had to evolve to deal with similar problems, there's a good chance they'd evolve in much the same manner, surely?

Ridiculously little of our appearance is due to development of intelligence. The main reason we have 4 limbs with 5 fingers/toes etc for example, is because we descend from creatures who had those structures far before there even were any mammals around.
The primary structures of our bodyplan developed untold eons before even the first spark of our intelligence began to develop.
Assuming that because we are intelligent and humanoid, thus alien life has to be humanoid for it to be intelligent, is utterly baseless and just a sign of how limited one's understanding of evolution and the evolutionary history of our species is.

An alien intelligence could have started developing from a radically different base bodyplan than ours, for example, something with no spine, and instead some sort of exoskeletal structure instead, and they would thus look nothing like us.

>He actually chose that Welsh cunt over THIS

>Rangers origin story.jpg

We have plenty of intelligent nonhumanoid creatures here on earth: some birds, as brought up in this thread, as well as dolphins, whales, and octopi, to name a few.

You don't need to be humanoid to be intelligent, that's true, but none of those creatures could ever develop a culture, let alone get off this planet. If we ever went off to the stars and met something similar, we'd treat them no better than animals.

It's not like Merlin gave him much of a choice.

Then merlins a cockblocking faggot. All the foresight in the world didn't help him see best girl.

Feral humans are outright brain-damaged. The parts of their mind that you need to strengthen while growing up are not developed, so the efficient body decides they aren't necessary and replaces it with other mental structures. Couple with terrible malnutrition and the results are pretty much what you expected.

>leave her alone for a few hours
>come back and she's strangled all the mice in the house
>and the neighbor's dogs
>and a few stray cats
>she's crying because she can't fit any down her throat like she used to

That's in cases where they were physically humans from the beginning, though. What about in animal-to-human cases, where they suddenly gained a whole lot of brainpower out of nowhere? Couldn't they fill those newly found brain bits with these essential structures?

this is the part where someone makes a dick joke.

In the version I heard, Arthur takes one look at Guinevere and is all, "Merlin, that's gonna be my bride."
And Merlin is all, "Oooh... Nah bro, trust me on this; she is BAD news."
"Whaaaa? Nah no way! Look at her! She is totally the one!"
"Dude, I am a seer. I can tell you right now, she is BAD news. Gimme like, three days and I'll find you the perfect ho. Gorgeous, wise, loyal. The works. Seriously."
"Yeah nope. It's her or nothin'."
"Fucking Christ... Whatever, you're the king."

Good news is her dad gave them the round table as a wedding gift, so there's that.

I wonder what the king of the squirrels would've brought in as a wedding gift instead.

Well he wouldn't a cared to much about some other hoe if he'd had sweet ass squirrel ass to keep him occupied, now would he?

Nuts would be my guess.

Also the round table, but rough-hewn and gnawed into shape

A golden acorn that grows into a golden oak?

Sounds like either the Excalibur movie or the play it was based on, which IIRC was called "L'Morte d'Artur" or something.