Warhammer 40k General /40kg/

Day of the space-rope edition

Forgeworld tactics will never happen sub-edition

>FAQ (New FAQ):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/

>FW FAQ
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Designer's Commentary (FAQ 0.1)
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf(and epub), SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Old megas
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Chart-user doing Emperor's work)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2017/07/19/chapter-focus-salamanders-july19gw-homepage-post-3/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for the hope that this will be a good thread

First for dreadnoughtsa best

For the greater good!

Okay there's something I dont understand..
It looks like most of you have ONE (1) army of like 1k to 2k Points and basically meme every other army.
Most people I know IRL and on other forum have 4+ forces with mainly around 1 or 2 really complete army, unless they've been playing for less than 2 years.

I'm a basic French College Student working at BurgerKing on the side and Summer/Holiday pay rent etc yet I have (only bought on internet discounter and non-GW flgs)

3k Of Scions (counting Vultures and Vendettas) -WiP/Still in box
4k Of Catachan - WiP
4k Of T'au (mainly suits) - Fully painted
3k Of Tyranids - Fully painted
3k Of Knights (Ill give you that this one is pretty cheap) - Fully painted & magnetized
bits and lone kits of SM, Necron, Ogors, DarkElf, Stormcasts, One Nagash and other thing like that.
And I'll probably start Primaris RavenGuard or Orks (If they update the models) this year.
I also have Gundams/Hot Toys/Sideshow Statues/LEGO UCS etc
And that's ONE of my hobbies (Tho the others are mainly sports)

And thats not even big compared to other people I play with, granted the T'au and Tyranid where bought over the span of
3 years in HS.
And thats without the (Soon coming) blessed 5-10years just after graduation when you get your House Deposit, your full pay and no kids AND can spend 1k a month on toys like its nothing AND still easily able to go out/on holiday AND save momey etc.

So like Wtf ?
With most of you shitposting about how 2nd/3rd edition were better I figured you would have 50k points of painted minis lying around and another 30k of unpainted/still in box.

Its like /40kg/ is populated with NZers too dumb for a POBox in UK that have their ONE (1) Ultramarines 2k list half painted not based and thats it.

Are Orks keeping the Emperor alive

Thats your problem. Thinking more than 15% of the people who post here even play, let alone build or paint models

No

yes

>TFW Iron Warriors will never get mech back

I love orks.
>racial goal is taking over the galaxy
>don't actually care about said goal though
>even Ghazkull, who can talk to the gods, doesn't actually want to he just wants to fight alongside his gods

>With most of you shitposting about how 2nd/3rd edition were better I figured you would have 50k points of painted minis lying around and another 30k of unpainted/still in box.
In my case I sold off, lost or otherwise misplaced a bunch of stuff over the years. Life happens basically, especially as I was in my teens playing 2nd/3rd edition.

Like a lot of hobbies this is one that comes and go in life, even if I'd held on to my stuff I wouldn't have been collecting it for 15 years or so straight.

Honestly, I personally only got into the hobby towards the end of 7th edition, I'd heard of it before then, and when I was younger I tried to get into it, but I couldn't afford it.
Now I have roughly 2000 points of CSM and 1500 points of Daemons, it's growing though.
Hell I'm still reading the Horus Heresy series of books now that I've gotten into it.

I'm slightly confused: Does your army need to be pure to get chapter tactics, or just your detachment?

Nah, I think a lot of people here have multiple armies (I do) though maybe don't always want to admit how bad their self-control is or how big their painting backlog is (I don't). But if you're posting about tactics for a certain force, or asking advice on a list, it's not really relevant to add "btw I also have x y and z armies" to that post, so it'll seem like that person only has that army.

They help a little.

Dunno, codex isn't out yet and GW haven't leaked the particular page that specifies it. Ask again in like a week.

Nah, I got

>3k-4K of Admech
>3k of Taghmata
>6k+ of space marines, both 30k and 40k
>3k of Custodes (painted, but what a short-sighted decision...)
>3k of grey knights
>3k of imperial Knights
>1k of Inquisitorial stormtroopers/Inquisition
>unkown value in points of varied deathwatch, Dark Angels, daemons, and Eldar.

I imagine most people, like me, have a wide collection but mainly identify with a single faction or two.

I'm pretty sure the racial goal of the Orks was to act as foot soldiers for the old ones, and the reason they give no shits about anything is because their masters vanished literally 65 million years ago.

>stupid fuckface thinks the rest of world only pays 250 bucks per full time college semester like he does

you dumb summer fuck

Whilst there are definately WAAC implications like say, running a firebase detachment of ravenguard with a white scars assault detachment or whatever, I'm more curious because I'd rather you don't lose your chapter's tabletop flavour because you wanted to ally in a Culexus.

PRIMARIS MARINES IN THE HOUSE TONIGHT
EVERYBODY JUST HAVE A GOOD TIME

Its 12000€/year for me in France, faggot. Amd thats the average Business School.

>Primaris babbies
>Ultrasmurfs
low quality b8 m8

Tournament coming up this weekend,
Max 2 detachments, no FW, Killpoints decide bulk of missions.

Think I'll do alright?

At this point, a Space Marine army is free to have detachments mixed up with any chapters you like.
You want Deathwing terminators, Space Wolf Wulfen, Blood Angel Furioso Dreadnoughts, Grey Knight Paladins and Deathwatch Kill Teams all in one list? Go for it.

If I had to guess, I'd go with it being detachment not army for that exact reason. But that is just a guess, didn't want to give the impression it's officially confirmed or anything.

Never mind, didn't fully read to see question was regarding the Chapter tactics

Saw this posted in the other thread; and it makes me wonder, what exactly will be in it? New stratagems and missions? Or will we get new units? Any possibility of specific sub factions coming back?

My hopes:
>Kroot Mercenary list
>More Chapter Tactics for obscure chapters
>Looted Wagons for Orkz

Do yall have any ideas, or recollections of old Chapter Approved stuff?

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [45 PL, 753pts] ++

+ HQ [3 PL, 51pts] +

Ethereal [3 PL, 51pts]: Equalizers [1pts], Hover Drone [1 PL, 5pts]

+ Elites [42 PL, 702pts] +

3 * XV9 Hazard Support Team [14 PL, 234pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone [32pts]
2 * XV9 Hazard Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system 2x Double-barelled burst cannon

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [31 PL, 609pts] ++

+ HQ [11 PL, 218pts] +

Aun'Shi [4 PL, 68pts]

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 150pts]: Advanced targeting system [8pts], High-output burst cannon [20pts], Missile pod [24pts], Shield generator [8pts]

+ Troops [18 PL, 360pts] +

3 * Kroot Carnivores [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Kroot

+ Elites [2 PL, 31pts] +

Kroot Shaper [2 PL, 31pts]: Kroot rifle

++ Vanguard Detachment (T'au Empire) [30 PL, 638pts] ++

+ HQ [3 PL, 50pts] +

Ethereal [3 PL, 50pts]: Honour blade, Hover Drone [1 PL, 5pts]

+ Elites [27 PL, 588pts] +

3 * XV9 Hazard Support Team [7 PL, 149pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x Fusion cascade, Multi-tracker
XV9 Hazard Support Team [6 PL, 141pts]: MV1 Gun Drone
. XV9 Hazard Battlesuit [5 PL, 133pts]: 2x Fusion cascade, Multi-tracker

++ Total: [106 PL, 2000pts] ++
I want to meme this list into total dickery.

If that helps I'm a chaos fag who just started around may and I'll have around 3k points next in two weeks.
Definitely will buy eldar and perhaps dkok in future because i like the models.
Also, SM 13 year olds.
Here, have a fresh meme

>3k of Custodes (painted, but what a short-sighted decision...)
could you elaborate ?

>kill all xenos, or keep the emperor alive
kek

> I have all these toy soldiers why
> I don't have a gf
It's really not that difficult to decipher this post

How would Veeky Forums feel if I used Khorne berserkers as standard assault marines?
How about vice versa?
What if I played my death company army as world eaters, calling my chaplain a dark apostle, my death company bezerkers and my dreads hell brutes?
How about if I wanted to use volkite weapons as plasma, would that be okay?
What about tactical marines as stern guard?
Or Warp talons as vanguard with lighning claws?

Just want to get a feel on tg's opinions on such things, also you lgs if you have one

Why are they so happy?

The Redemptor looks great and dreadlets are just bitter.

Because they have a fully painted board and armies.
That is enough to smile and be happy

>That BFG

Horus Heresy looked like it would be cruising as popular forever, so I went in and bought the army. Now 8th is out and literally no one wants to play HH. But it's okay cause I like the models

That torso is awful, but the limbs look great.

Because GW told them their plans for the dark angels going traitor

>recollections of old Chapter Approved stuff?

I remember the old Chapter Approved stuff from the 3rd ed era of White Dwarf; alternate rules for things like the Relictors, Black Dragons and Flame Falcon Chapters. That was a good time.

he's not measuring distance with that tape measure

Im mad that forge world stoped selling the Sanguinius model

if everything is proxied for everytjthe ing it can be really confusing.
Dont mind each of them individually but this could be tiresome to remember since basically nothing would have the corresponding model

The legs look a little skimpy.

Maybe they're not autistic WAAC faggots.

It's that fucking big?

Though why the fuck am I surprised? Every kid wants to be the one with the biggest toy. So of course they did a solid number on the dreadnought while they worked over the marines.

I wonder if we're going to get a Mortarion Vs. Papasmurf box set at some point since they're pushing Death Guard and Ultramarines

I did the same thing friendo. Now just to wait for 8th rules for HH. I guess i'll be able to use them in about 6 years right before 9th drops

Big Fat Gay?

>Even Funko Mechs BTFO marinelets

that rocket launcher is pretty tacked on but aside from that pretty cool.

Big Fucking Gun

cool thank you

>mortarion has the upper hand
>some makes a sacrifice to save gorillaman
>girlyman gets a hit in
>mortarion flees

Every time

maybe mortarion can get a second autograph on his heart!

Most people here are indecisive and have collected a lot of random shit. Poor self control because lots of stuff seems cool. Incompleted armies because they do a squad of one army, then start reading about another and stop and go paint them or buy them. Now people have tons of incomplete pieces and slightly painted minis most of which they won't get to play with. The amount of people here that don't have access to a good store is sad.

I played a lot in 3rd and 5th and back then I bought a lot of stuff that seemed cool. So I have about 1k of Sisters, 1k of Inquisition, 4k of Guard, 1k of random models and some Blood Angels stuff my mom got me one year. That's the stuff I bought, then I was given about 1k of Chaos and 1-2k of Tyranids from friends who quit back in 4th. I only ever painted like 500 points of SIsters and 1000 points of Guard, but it was shit painting.

I came back 6 months before 7th ended and I started seriously working on my army. I stripped a bunch of stuff and now I've painted about 2-3k of Guard, but I bought a lot of stuff and did a lot of conversions so there's a lot of work to be done still. So my primary army is Guard mixed with Ministorum units. I recently also split a Dark Imperium Box with someone so I have 2 sets of Death Guard, so that's about 1.5k of them which will be my second army.

I'm also considering getting stripping the Tyranids and getting some GSC models so I can do a GSC/Guard/Nids list. I also will probably lazily use my Guard as R&H to use with my Death Guard sometimes. First things first though, I have to try to finish up my Guard and Ministorum units.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about marines.
So Big Fat Gay makes sense in this case

I think you're going to be disappointed. I'd expect things like adjustments to matched play rules, new mission types and probably some campaign rules.

I think it's highly unlikely that GW will release army lists for Kroot Mercenaries (or feral orks) because "we don't make models for that".

Unless there's significant change to GWs policy there, or they release new kits, or FW put Kroot units back into production I think you're out of luck.

What I personally want is some kind of vehicle design rules, but I think that's even less likely.

>Always been a fan of Tau
>Got a Hammerhead and some Firewarriors as my very first wargame stuff when I was 13
>Started to play for real with 500 point games as an adult at the end of 5th edition
>6th edition codex comes around with the riptides and everyone starts hating the Tau
>Stop playing because demoralized
>8th edition comes out and I hear Tau isn't considered WAAC anymore just some fringe Commander spam that isnt even acknowledged as OP
>Got a huge backlog of stuff that Ive gotten as gifts from friends and family
>Even a stormsurge that imo looks really cool
>Go down to lgs to look at stuff like paints, brushes and such (old paint is dried or brushes destroyed/mishandled)
>Overhear 40k regulars talking about how they hate Tau and Tau players
>Like Veeky Forums levels of Tau rage
>Feelsbadman.jpg

I honestly don't feel like playing Tau anymore eventhough they're my favorite army looks and rules wise.

Should I just sell my shit and start a new army?

No more like
>Mortarion btfo guilliman
>Villainmonologue.jpg
>Khan come out of the warp and impale Morty on his bike
>Khan brofist Gully and they ride on home Khan's harley

Binaric screeching intensifies. Cawl is heretek.

It's too mismatched, kinda Orky because the limbs and body don't match up.

Still, doesn't really matter: The rules we've seen for it place it as a low-tier dread unit unless the datasheet has some asspull rule like "Primaris are best: This model may shoot twice if it stands still or fight twice if it charged".

>kroot mercenarys
>ork savages
>salvar chemdogs
i remember all those from old chapter approved, and i want them back

Seems like one of those bits you can decide not to attach.

Heavy Ordnance Gatling Cannon sounds ridiculously contrived

You carry on with the greater good regardless.

Must be cool to come back 10 years later and see your whole 4k of guard is still not updated and with basically the same rules. Saves a hassle. Lots of army would have been invalidated by that time

Enslavers would be cool.
It was a rather easy way to play with what ever you had

I really hope gulliman comes out as Alpharius and swaps his personality. As it is Gulliman is becoming more and more gary stuish.
>capcha exit hospital
Like gulliman exited the healing stasis pod

>having 2 decade old models is nice
>having the same army list for a decade is nice
What?

>Be Ork and Nid player

>Since 4th edition hit, winrate hovers around 25-35%

>Everybody wants to play with you

>Get messages to set-up games

>40k time fully booked in 1 month in advance

>letting other people influence what you play

Just buy 6 Commanders and stomp them

But people dont even want to play against me.

He won't be killed or revealed as Alpharius. They JUST released his model and a shit load of people bought him. It's why Mortarian won't die either, it nullifies a purchase if people know that they just end up dying anyway. Why go to the effort of painting and putting a character together if they release a new novel that says he died?

Yep, I'll just be here waiting....

Honestly I'm not mad though, I'm thrilled with 8th and happy to see oldfag and newcomer alike enjoying themselves. I should've just bought Thousand sons like everyone else

if that happens use this

where do you live ? there must be another flgs

I don't think the gulliman Alpharius thing is realistic I just hate how gullimans being writen.

So how viable is a classic style representative of a company army now?

You know: A classic, generic core like... 20 Tacs, 10 Devs, 10 assault marines, Captain, Dreadnought.... then whatever terminator/veteran/scout/tank/librarian/chaplain support you have points left over for and feel like. No units newer than about 3rd edition.

Sallies are up:
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/19/chapter-focus-salamanders-july19gw-homepage-post-3/

Sweet

I was actually a little happy about that, it felt like I never quit. Now that I'm really into the hobby and excited, I'm ready to see a new update for us sometime in the future. I was really happy about the Bullgryn and Scion models when I came back into it. Now I have 8 Bullgryn and Nork in my army and a bunch of Scion models. Wasn't sure what to do with the Kasrkin models, so I've made them the bodyguard of my Inquisitor in Terminator armor. Either as Acolytes with Hellguns or deepstriking with him using Scion rules.

tacticals are as underwhelming as ever, even if cover and split fire helps them out

Salamanders article is up, though it doesn't say much (and of course we already know their tactic).
>Salamanders armies will be able to combine these Chapter Tactics with a range of other options in the codex to create some great armies. Salamanders Characters in particular are going to be some of the most powerful in the game, and it’s more than possible to have a Captain in Gravis Armour with Strength 5 and Toughness 6(!) through their unique warlord trait and relic.
>The Salamanders’ unique Stratagem, Flamecraft, greatly boosts the power of flamer weapons of all shapes and sizes
TELL US HOW YOU FUCKS
>while their unique character, Vulkan He’stan, offers further benefits to generals who want to bring the heat to the battlefields of the 41st Millennium.

Anything that isn't 5-man special or heavy weapon squads or Salamanders is invalid now didn't you hear?

And they say the game isn't for kids...

The rulebook already spoiled the fight. Morty gets told to leave by nurgle, virus bombs and leaves the planet. Ultrasmurfs win BUT AT WHAT COST

>Finally, the Salamanders can make great use of one of the most powerful units in the new codex: the Aggressors. In a Salamanders army, you’ll want to equip yours with Flamestorm Gauntlets; these powerful weapons benefit hugely from Flamecraft in the shooting phase and gain deadly accuracy from Master Artisans in the combat phase. A firebase of Aggressors surrounding Vulkan He’Stan is going to be nigh impregnable and is especially terrifying when you consider that these walking fortresses can fire twice if they remain still in the movement phase.
So this confirms agressors have the special ability to fire twice if they don't move? That's preety good I guess. Depends on what they're weapons are.
18 HB and 12 krak missles per turn would be worth 200 points I'd say

>binaric screeching

i'm hearing dial up modem startup

>A firebase of Aggressors surrounding Vulkan He’Stan is going to be nigh impregnable and is especially terrifying when you consider that these walking fortresses can fire twice if they remain still in the movement phase.
>Aggressors fire twice if they remain still in the movement phase
Oh boy.

8th is pretty great. And im in the process of converting their rules from inferno and have a group who wont REEE if i use them, so whatever. FW can take their time

Aggressors sound weird. Are their gauntlets power fists or not? Because twin power fists conflicts very heavily with gets to shoot twice if stand still.

Also I've wanted shooty terminators for years, so getting Gravis shooty almost-terminators seems very monkey's paw.

That redemptor looks horrific in green

i feel you
>IG player
>fully painted, converted etc death korps army
>usually people refuse me games because the death korps are forgeworld
>now with 8th they refuse me outright and call me a cheese player even with normal guard

It's like riptide wing.

So they get an AoS without needing to roll to get it.

Marine players will bitch about it regardless

I want to do some Gay Knights after I finish up my current army as a support force for some Daemon hunting fun. What're some good themes for a GK army list? Best HQs? Any must take/avoid units to take note of?