EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Scorched Earth edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
How many board wipes do you run? MLD? What influences this decision?
If you don't find MLD acceptable, where do you draw the line on what counts? Are any of Blood Moon, Wake of Destruction, and/or Rain of Salt MLD? How about Strip Mine with Crucible in the deck?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/never-look-a-gift-goat-in-the-eye/
discord.gg/4f4gz
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-07-17-OAb-alesha/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>How many board wipes do you run? MLD? What influences this decision?
>If you don't find MLD acceptable, where do you draw the line on what counts? Are any of Blood Moon, Wake of Destruction, and/or Rain of Salt MLD? How about Strip Mine with Crucible in the deck?
depends on the deck but between 1-4 with the notable exception of my casual esper control deck that runs 6
>mld
In a deck that wants MLD I tend to run Armageddon, ravages, hokori and winter orb as an absolute minimum

>Thread Question
Ruination is normally enough for me because I always play a lot of basics and it always reaps the most salt from the table.

I tend to avoid MLD because I play with a wide range of players, and I don't want to completely scare off the newer/more casual guys.
However, Blood Moon/Back to Basics is completely fair game because it hurts the players with expensive decks much more than the casual guys running mostly basics.

>How many board wipes do you run?
Depends, removal heavy lists that either don't care if i get my board destroyed or i actively try to put my opponent's dudes into their graveyard usually include at least 5 more often than not 6-7 if you include stuff like Massacre Wurm, Vandalblast or Cyclonic Rift in the board wipe category
In normal lists or the ones that play a lot of creatures i run no more than 4 and usually i settle for 3
>MLD?
No
>Are any of Blood Moon, Wake of Destruction, and/or Rain of Salt MLD?
Blood Moon doesn't destroy anything so doesn't qualify for the "D" in MLD
Wake of Destruction is definetely Mass Destruction, so yes it's MLD
Rain of Salt and other targeted land removal is fine since it doesn't qualify for the "M" in MLD

>How many board wipes do you run?

Bitch I am the board wipe

>Thread question
I try to have 2 wipes in every deck at least. My queen marchesa has 6.5 crackling doom is my half wipe creature wipes and a vandalblast. I don't run MLD because when I had just built my first commander deckever on my own I rushed to the shop to try it out and only one guy would help me playtest. We played 2 or 3 games with different commanders and it was all cool until he played Mina and Denn MLD Ramp. It took for ever. He kept getting to six lands and destroying all the lands but had no way to win but had enough targeted LD to keep me from playing. It was extremely boring and disheartening. I get that MLD is an important hard-control option and the only way certain decks become playable but gadamn is it shitty if you can't win in the next few turns and nuked the board for lulz. I think i'd only pack mld if I ran AngryOmnath or Tajic to help cement a combat win.

>From last Thread
How do you build a Ludevic deck that isn't vorthos tribal or a partner deck? I think it'd be really funny to show with a commonly derided Commander and win a game or two. If there are playable decks for a lot of the god awful commanders from legends there must be some way to make Ludevic work. Don't tell me just play a different commander. That is a waste of a post.

>tfw magi weren't legendary

How ineffective is Counterbalance + Top in EDH's general meta?

>MaRo has advocated a "New Magic" nonrotating format.

Is it Pauper's time to shine?

Not that useful, the cmc of things played in EDH varies too much to reliably counter stuff unlike in Legacy

>Thread Question
3-5 wipes, but only as a backup plan.
For MLD, I play on an almost newbie meta, trying to teach my friends so I don't deal much with land destruction. Once any of them starts using it and nobody else bitches, I'll do it. Stuff like Strip Mine is ok for the whole group, though.

I have an MLD deck dedicated to it
Numot kills lands it's just fast mana and land destroying shenanigans.
I even play stuff like crack the earth for full commitment. It's my secret weapon against fast mana blue as it packs a good artifact hate package. I just voltron numot and hard control the board.

I believe MLD and regular LD is as valid as mono you decks and stax or tax decks. that said I never pull it out in casual good times play

Board wipes? One or two per deck, as appropriate to the colors. MLD? None. I prefer spot land removal. Goblin Ruinblaster has brought me more value and salt than most spells I cast.

I run about 3-6 board wipes and a few sac effects in my decks. I am fine with MLD but i do nit run it. As far as crucible+strip mine i would rather not get hosed by two super expensive cards

6 wipes, MLD is built into a couple. Slobad makes half my shit indestructible so I can rebuild quickly

First deck I ever built was Godo and I had a huge amount of MLD.

MLD hurting feelings is why Boros is considered a bad color in Commander.
I play Weenies with MLD. When everyone has no lands, suddenly those 2/2 First Strike are kinda Scary.

I've ran Boom//Bust, Armageddon, and Ravages of War in my Boros deck. My playgroup didn't have a problem with it, but it stale for me pretty quick. I've since removed it for other toys. I kept Strip Mine + Crucible of Worlds in their because Fuck Green.

Boros doesn't do MLD better than other color combos though

You might get a higher number of total MLD spells, but that's not what makes a good MLD deck. The other colors have better tutors and card draw to rebuild and capitalize off the MLD. You only need either white or red to have plenty of land destruction I think

MLD are simply UnFun and usually just set the game back on square one

Boros is "bad" because it doesnt have much decent card advantage or ramp.but its still not horrible

That being said you can do some degenerate things with Sunforger.

>No Feather commander
>No Greht commander
>No Tocasia commander
>No Gix commander
>No Xantcha commander
>Yawgmoth and Urza never ever ever
Why do they keep printing all the minor characters except the ones I want to see?

>Yawgmoth
>Urza
>minor

Fuck you on about, mate.

>As far as crucible+strip mine i would rather not get hosed by two super expensive cards
>strip mine
>expensive
It's like 10 bucks, maybe 15 if you insist on NM. Crucible hurts but Ramunap Excavator is 5.

I was summing up the rest of them since Wizards has in the past stated they'd never print an Urza card They also said they'd never print Planeswalkers, so shit may change with the times. and the likelihood of Yawgmoth getting in is about as great as my chances of winning the world tour

>inb4 "Yawgmoth, Thran Healer" new Orzhov commander
I doubt they'll ever print him as Lord of the Wastes but enough vorthos tears could easily get us a mortal version. If we're all good he might even be on par with Feldon (If we're naughty, though, he'll be Ludevic 2.0)

The Ineffable would be a modern day Phage.
Not Emrakul tier but a threat you could not leave on the board regardless.

i would be way down for a pre-phyrexia yawgmoth card

teferi make it happen

oh i was confusing it with wasteland

Thinking of building my sister an Ishkanah Grafwidow deck for Halloween as its their favorite holiday
Any cool tech for it?

>their
A noose.

Will this ever be less than six bucks or will it rise?

Post deck

it will rise its just a matter of time
only question is if it will go down in value before then

They gave it a name that will make it hard to reprint outside of Masters or Precons, and Crucible has shown it's a very powerful effect. If you're lucky, you might see them $5 at their lowest, which is barely saving any money. Get them while they're cheap, it's relatively safe.

Alright, what Zedruu-core cards am I missing so far? Spicy tech?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/never-look-a-gift-goat-in-the-eye/

I expect it to rise. It's literally Magus of the Crucible and Magus of the Moon has surpassed Blood Moon in price (before MM I think Blood Moon had a slight edge, but Magus had still risen to meet it)

That's not quite as comparable.
Moon's been printed 6 times and Magus only the once. If they reprint Magus, he'd probably fall to Moon's current price easily.

OP you moronic nincompoop reject you forgot the
ALL IMPORTANT DISCORD LINK
NEVER DO THAT AGAIN

discord.gg/4f4gz

So the chubby girl meme "IT IS/HAS A CAT!" is now gone to magic. I blame that dudeface from loadingreadyrun.

What is a commander that doesn't really do that well that you still play for whatever reason?

>now

I like the early game pump to get damage on turn 2

>MLD is UnFun
>Boros is bad because it doesnt have ramp

hmmmmmmmmm

my Nekusar deck is more zombie tribal amd isn't built entirely around his ability but I have won occasionally with him when im able to attach glistening oil or phyrexian armor to him. Otherwise i typically win with just the sheer amount of zombies that work tofether and tokens i spawn. pretty fun stuff because no one expects grixis to have almost the same amount of +1/+1 counter ramp and tokens spawning as GW or GU.

>I blame that dudeface from loadingreadyrun.
thats Kaitlyn and shes a girl
a very very bad actor but a girl none the less

>try to build Vish Kal
>turns into a discard/mill myself for cheesy rezzes and quick wins
My playgroup is nearly on the verge of banning Divinity of Pride and Ashen Rider

>Divinity of Pride still isn't legendary
J U S T

Demigod of Revenge would've lived a pretty hard life if his cycle was Legendary.

>a vanilla creature with lifeline isnt legendary
oh no
whatever should I do?

Yeah, but I doubt he'd fall much below all the same, and he started at like 5 bucks too.

Barring a reprint of either to tank price, Ramunap will slowly (and I do mean slowly) rise to approach the price of proper Crucible.

Give me your most "I hate my friends" decklist

Son, would I call her "dudeface", if I thought she was a man?

Here is a tentative list for an Alesha deck made from mashing together bits from a couple other decklists. It's mostly pretty budget for now, I'm not generally planning to spend more than 10 dollars on a single card until I really like the feeling of it. I think I'm at 98 cards and a lot of it is up for cutting so I'm up for suggestions

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-07-17-OAb-alesha/

>Son, would I call her "dudeface", if I thought she was a man?
yes
thats exactly when you would call someone dudeface
but clearly you were mistaken old man, because its her who pushes the cat cancer the hardest.

Boy, there's no need to talk disrespectfully a fellow simply because they skimmed through your post a bit too fast.

I don't have the list on me but you can have my favorite "I hate my Friends" commander

Why does everyone in these threads always have the most Craw Wurm of Craw Wurm metas?

>I hate my Friends
le ebin asshole strikes again!
XDDDDD

are you from Elbonia or something? you canll people dudeface when they are not a dude otherwise it's redundant

yeah, this is 4chin, safe bet is that 'fellow' was/is a retarded autist faggot.

>My playgroup is nearly on the verge of banning Divinity of Pride

that's pathetic

>you canll people dudeface when they are not a dude otherwise it's redundant
no that would just be accurate, not redundant.
dudeface/dudebro is pretty much exclusively a thing you call males

nobody calls anybody dudeface, so whatever weird rules that govern when you should and should not say it are known to you, and you alone. It's not that surprising that someone might not understand exactly what you mean when you say it, not everybody is in on your inside jokes

I'm trying to sell about 30 of these guys and the matching mountains. How do I move them with reasonable speed (like before the end of September)? I just need the dosh.

I really want Feather as a card. I would also like to know what happened to her, other than being kicked out by Aurelia.

You know I had my dobuts but honestly HOU is a preety fucking good commander set.

The 3 gods, Neheb, Cats, Horses, Minotaurs and Zombies support, a bunch of useful rares like Nimble Obstructionist, the Mirror, or Crucible snek, new wraths, Razaketh and Big Daddy Bolas.

Also a bunch of spicy techs like pic related. This is fucking great on Meren, for example.

Hope for Mardu Angels as one of the c17 tribes.

I've done it, Mannichi is now viable.

dear lord i accidentally read part of the latest magic story.
people read this shit? holy fuck

>ordering cards from magic card market
>"played" condition cards range from literally perfectly fine with maybe a tiny bit of white scratching near the edges to being covered with dogshit everywhere
>sellers just give :^) responses if you point out that this is pushing about as close to being damaged as humanly possible
>can't be bothered to fuck them over because the orders are usually otherwise fine

lol

half the definitions on urbandictionary is 'random person' half are 'female with manly features'. I think we can split the difference.

it's not inside joke, it's a colloquialism. People not using it in your mother's basement it doesn't make it an inside joke.

Ebay but it may be hard to find someone since they're so expensive. Search past ebay sales and compare how they sell and then determine if you want to do a big lot with them all together or if you want to split them all out and list individually.

Wizards asked on polls what were the most liked tribes, expecting answers like Merfolks on Wizards

The poll showed those were average, and that the most liked were Cats and Squirrels.

Squirrels are a meme, but Cats have always had cool stuff like pic related(no furry)

>have always had
>posts a very recent card

The new gods and Neheb 2.0 are all really unique commanders. I've been having a lot of fun trying to out Neheb especially since he lets you play janky burn in EDH.

pic related, 2 played condition cards from 2 different sellers. the guy gave me a refund on the rune-scarred demon but still lmao at wasting peoples times and selling that thing at played

How about this (some furry)?

Mld is completely fine as long as it benefits the caster, if you are doing it "for teh lulz xD" though, kys.

I run a few in Jhoira, because it's Jhoira. No purpose in my other decks.

dude that demon almost looks cooler in that condition

No, it doesn't.

Sell them in 6 blocks of 5.

i honestly wouldn't mind it that much, but the thing is basically falling apart, the foil plastic on the sides is peeling off and shit. i'm more annoyed that people try to pass this shit off as played.

i also just ordered a white-bordered sacrifice that turned out to have a ton of brown residue on the sides and it just looks disgusting

i gotta start ordering stuff at higher conditions because of these fucking memers

I've been having a rough time with getting off-centered cards. They'll be NM otherwise and look fine in a black sleeve, but it still bothers me.

>ordering stuff at higher conditions
no man join me in "damaging out" your decks
significantly easier than foiling them and it takes a lot longer so it actually feels like you accomplished something

What are some good ways to get non-creature spells out of your graveyard, either to your hand or at least library. Can't be green.

Mystic retrieval is probably my favorite one. Call to mind as well.

Any specific type? Inst/sorcs? Artifacts?

>to your hand
archeomancer
archivist
ill-gotten gains
>library
eldrazi titans
most blue wheels (days undoing)
elixir of immortality

anarchist

>archivist
>anarchist
this thats what i meant

When I first got into MtG cats were somehow my favorite despite me never liking them in any other media.
Jareth is pretty badass too.

AWWW DUDE THAT TOTALLY GOES INTO MY CAT DRAGON DECK
thanks!

I'm 90% sure she's imprisoned by the Boros.
During return to ravnica there was a short story where Grenko was doing a job for the Dimir boss by stealing something from the Boros and along his way he comes across an angel in a cage that is heavily implied to be her.

its probably getting reprinted in Arabho as most of the cats posted here today are going to be.
Better pick up your HOU/AKH cat tribal cards

Wizards needs to stop popularizing my tech.
I get too much of a tingle each time people have to read my cards multiple times because they don't have a Magic encylopedia in their head like I do.

>thread question
every white deck that isn't über aggro should play wrath and doj, and usually rout
i think MLD is fine if you actually win with it unlike most people i've met who play it. nobody has fun when someone blows up all the lands and isn't even ahead enough on board to take advantage of it.

can't go wrong with codex shredder

What colors are we talking here?

I'm real disappointed Oketra doesn't produce 2/2 Cats. She has no actual place being in a Cat deck, despite being Top Cat.