Planeswalkers & Legendaries Edition

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Other urls found in this thread:

bestcustommtg.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'll start with my latest iteration of a cycle of legendaries. Really looking for feedback on these guys.

>Konark
Permanent copies are not Mardu, maybe give the token haste and exile EoT?
>Gthna
Isn't a 5/5 flyer trampler on turn 4 too much?
>Aurum
Miracle is not black and you need to specify inst/sorc
>Ferun
He's not very blue but apart from that looks kinda alright
>Alextra
Maybe shuffle library before making the token

>Permanent copies are not Mardu, maybe give the token haste and exile EoT?
That's a great idea, thanks.

>Isn't a 5/5 flyer trampler on turn 4 too much?
You're right, she's way too pushed. I think I'll make it
>URG: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~, it gains flying and haste until end of turn.

>Miracle is not black and you need to specify inst/sorc
Can't any nonland card be cast for Miracle though?

>Maybe shuffle library before making the token
I think I'll just remove the Scry part and add something else. Forcing the player to shuffle beforehand seems to chaotic/red to me. She definitely needs work though, regardless.

Thanks for the feedback.

>Isn't a 5/5 flyer trampler on turn 4 too much?
A 5/5 trampling flyer at the cost of all of turn 3 and most of turn 4's mana is fine. If you want to actually use it, it sets you back massively.

You do not need to specify instant/sorcery. Any card that can be cast, IE anything not a land, can have miracle.

I thought of building an EDH deck with a theme of mindgames, but realized that there are no decent generals for it (other than maybe Ixidor, but he's more straightforward than I want). That said, would something like this work? It doesn't seem to have any loopholes or obviously broken applications, at least.

Seems like a thing that would quickly become boring. But mechanically, I don't see any issues.

>a 1/80ish chance of getting it right
I feel like the way this would be printed is you name a card before revealing, then exile when you get it right.

Reread the card, friendo

He means that it should reward you if the opponent guesses right, as it's more difficult. That said, I don't feel it's that hard, but I didn't try playing it yet.

Why is it harder? What am I missing? Aren't you basically guessing yes or no? Yes, it's the card Czeko's owner named or no, it isn't.

It goes a bit more complex than that, but in the end, I don't think it's that difficult, yes. As it is, I can see three common scenarios:
>Name a land; it's basically a 50/50, a bit more inclined towards truth if you exiled an off-color card and want to cast it
>Name a utility non-land; again, close to a 50/50. If you name an artifact, they might agree with you just so there is a higher chance you get something you can't cast
>Name a key non-land; opponent is much more likely to agree with you, as that means you don't get the card they really need
Basically, they have to consider what you need and try to deny you those cards.

I actually agree that i think only non permanent spells should have miracle even though it may possible strictly speaking, but actually miracle can be black. In fact iirc they had a black miracle in AVR but cut it to make a harder line between black and the other colors.

Making a custom cube. Thought this would be fun.

Another fun one.

At 6 this is probably fine in a vacuum, but it's impossible to tell without knowing what your cube is like.

>second ability
L-lewd

10/10 would commander.

You can.

Another. Tribal kobolds is one of red's main themes.

That might be undercosted, since it completely locks out any kind of single target buffs from an opponent on anything.

Way too strong for such powerful control in red.

Ah, probably. 2RR? 3RR? I have always loved Flagbearers so I may have went a bit overboard.

I like the flavor. The only problem I have with this guy is that he's Legendary while being at Uncommon. There's also an unneeded colon in his costing.

Great card. It's weird to see newer word formating on the old card style. I always prefer the old MTG card style, but maybe it's just nostalgia.

This should probably be re-written to something like:
>Spells and activate abilities from a source your opponents control that target creatures must target at least one Kobold creature if able.

I'd say that if you're not going to have a cost associated with creating the Kobold tokens or redirecting the spells, it needs to cost at least 2RR or 1RRR, this doesn't seem like something that should be easily splashable.

You could probably get away with making this guy cost W.

Last one for now.

hilariously undercosted

One more. Wanted to get some feedback on this. Forgive the art.

A 2/4 flier for 3 that gets stronger every turn would already be good. The second ability makes it too strong for its cost, as it's just a massive card advantage engine.

Unique and interesting, though it doesn't work at common if you're going for NWO.

Would its second ability cause its first ability to not trigger?

Cooldown Guy is now posting on reddit, looks like you guys were finally able to get him out of here.

He has been for a while now. Though, I find it kind of telling that people around here "miss" him or care where he posts now, or that he even is posting at all, but we've lost so many worthwhile contributors to these threads over the years and nobody mentions them or asks after them. I guess that comes with being user but it's still a shame what sticks in peoples' minds, and it makes me shake my head.

> Exile X cards from among them.
Is this X for the total cards among players or do you do X for each player? That aside, I really like the card.
This one scares me because double strike but I think the p/t tradeoff is fair. The revenge +1/+1 counters are a nice touch.

>Muzzio

Thanks! And it's not just nostalgia. I started playing in 07 and I think the old borders are overall better. Except old gold-border, that shit is ugly.

Yep. 1st ability should be changed to "as" rather than "when." That way it's a replacement effect, not a trigger.

Thanks that makes more sense. I've updated some rarities / made some balance changes to most of the cards I posted in this thread. Thanks for the advice everyone. Rat king is a rare now and has a name. Thoughts on this version of the 0 drop Kobold? Too much?

I like this a lot more. It works and has a reason to exist. I'm sure it's abusable, but it doesn't seem /too/ good.

Also, dug up this unfinished Vronos. Any input? No idea what the ult should be.

Literally who

-7: Gain control of all artifacts on the battlefield then gain life equal to the total converted mana costs among artifacts you control.

I remember cooldown guy. He posted in these threads like...five? years ago. Always posted busted and / or overcosted cards with some weird cooldown effect. I'm sure someone else remembers better. There were some good ideas mixed in there with the madness.

Ooh, I like that. Thanks.
>pic
I feel like this would be fine at 4 CMC, or 3 CMC as a 1/3. It's not good enough outside of an illusion deck, and at 5 it's not even good enough /in/ illusion tribal.

Pretty sure the ability should be something like
>As long as you control three or more other Kobolds, ~ gets +1/+0 and loses defender.

I went ahead and just made the illusion a 3/4.
Thanks good catch. Have a pseudo Norin kobold.

Could you tell me where the unneeded colon is on the legendary rat? Should the tapping of the second rat be part of the cost?

Yeah, it should read B, T, (tap the rat):

If tapping isn't part of the cost, it doesn't work as intended.

>Should the tapping of the second rat be part of the cost?
Yeah, so:
>B, T, tap an untapped nontoken Rat creature you control: [Effect].

Thanks again for the help. Here is the most recent version.

I think you could've gotten away with leaving him at 3 CMC.

Yea, 4 CMC probably is too much.

ok last one for the night from kobold user. for real this time.

Found a site a while ago where there were contests for custom cards, but didn't bookmark it. It had a jury for each contest, who gave extensive feedback and star ratings. Highest sum of stars would win.
Can you elegan/tg/entlemen help me find it again? Pretty sure it wasn't bestcustommtg.tumblr.com/

Sounds like a forum, or possibly Reddit even.

MTGSalvation? I know reddit doesn't have anything that fancy.

Sorry, but it was more of a blog. Just asking because someone might know by chance what I'm talking about.

i am not a big fan of giving all the colors a very very good control card that has no answer.It's one of those things i'd put as the big payoff for one color or even 2 color.
But maybe it does make sense in your cube for everyone to have access to it.

it also does seem a bit undercosted to be honest... why does a better control magic also brick creature abilities? are you trying to make a colorless 3 for 1?
adding a "for as long this remains into play" clause, making the card add 3 mana or scry, removing the "can't activate creatures" part, putting it up at 8 mana. At least one of those has to be done.

there are 2 colons in his ability.
unless black in your cube is extremely deep in rats tribal i feel like you could push him more by chaging the ability to "tap two untapped nontoken rat creatures you control,B:..." so he could use it on the turn he comes in, or removing the non token restriction.

Agent Venom. Lifelink and last ability are stuff that the symbiote gives Flash, ping is for guns.

Eh, seems weak. Also, why does it focus on artifacts? Wasn't Vronos an inquisitor or something? And why doesn't the Thopters have Flying?

A worse version of Norin? Why?

I guess the first ability works in Blue, but the second ability is basically a colorshifted Black ability.

Seems cool. Though I think you could change the first ability wording to
>If you do, you may play those cards this turn.

Sac ability seems kinda strong.

are you the cube guy? if so i hope you aren't going to fill your cube with 0 drop kobolds.

b-but bats are basically flying rats already!

the second aiblity doesn't sound too blue. we usually see green or black doubling everyone's mana.

Good posters stick out in peoples' minds too. Extremes on both ends of the spectrum get noticed.

I've been gone for a while
What happened to the pirate user?

Vanished.

Got hired by WotC, obviously. Working on Ixalan now.

He and time user both, probably

IIRC, he was planning on making another set after he finished the Pirate set, but after that he just vanished. Nobody knows where he is anymore. After that there's Time user, who still pops up every now and then, he's just very busy IRL.

Time user says he's a teacher now, or he'll be one soon, I forget. Either way, I don't think he's working for Wizards, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out he was.

Since we're talking about him. Using the Exert for lands mechanic that Wizards did a cycle of in HOU. Kinda funny how similar it is to Cooldown's idea, though it is a fair bit different. Other idea is to essentially reduce the cost of spells you cast by half (rounded up), but whenever you tap a permanent for mana, it freezes, just like Exert.

I'm still around. I am a teacher now, and prepping for my first year is keeping me busy. Also dealing with some personal difficulties. But I'm still around.

I know, but it is supposed to pay homage to High Tide, one of the most iconic blue spells of all time.
Yea. Right now I'm just working on a large set or two while keeping cube in mind. is going in for sure.

I have the most trouble making mono green cards and common cards.

Based on Choking Sands, decided on Desert interaction. Does the 2 life penalty for hitting basics balance this out? Or should I increase the cost and/or avoid hitting basics altogether?

Well, we always look forward to seeing your stuff. And good luck with your teaching stuff.

>Fortune Seekers
Huh. For some reason I find it odd that that exact effect has only been used once before on a creature, at least as far as I can tell. Anyway, seems fine to me.

I like callback cards too, but for cases where you warp the color pie, it's probably best to let people know what you're doing when you post it.

Well, you know what they say, practice makes perfect. Want me to put one of the challenges up for practice?

I'd say it's fine as it is. Maybe bump it up to 3 life. Go ahead and put up a challenge. I never roll on those but why not.

Blue doesn't get unconditional mana dorks.

So, uh, what exactly is the exiling supposed to accomplish? Please don't say you're making an exile matters set.

Rolled 2, 4, 4, 3, 5 = 18 (5d10)

Got it. This version makes it easier to control for things like rarity and color.

>Babbling Familiar
Interesting... Not sure on the mana ability though. I get that U does sometimes get to generate mana, but it's usually just for stuff like artifacts. Maybe if it were UR?

I'm not him, but why would you think he's making a set? He has no custom set symbol, and he isn't using the set syntax earlier. Maybe it's just me, but when I see cards like that, I just assume they're random one-offs.

Rolled 1, 1, 9, 2, 5 = 18 (5d10)

>Blue, sorcery, removal/burn, CMC 2, uncommon
Guh, fuck. What removal does Blue even have other than bounce? Polymorph?

It is a subtheme in blue.
I am working on a set, just havent decided on a symbol. Only have around 30 of 200 planned cards so far.

Rolled 2, 4, 9, 7, 7 = 29 (5d10)

Forgot to roll. Pic is basically a reprint of Political Trickery with a more blue leaning cost.

Rolled 2, 10, 4, 6, 3 = 25 (5d10)

>White, instant, token generation, CMC 2, uncommon
Had some difficulty with this one, but I kinda like what I got out of it.

But you're not even using a set skeleton? Have you looked through the Wizards articles on set design in the OP? I really recommend that you do.

>card
Eh... not really feeling this.

Rolled 2, 2, 10, 7, 8 = 29 (5d10)

>Blue, planeswalker, removal/burn,
Eh, no. Rolling again.

Seems fine. Really situational though.

>Blue, instant, mana advantage, CMC 4, rare
Hmm. Hope this is good. A bit odd, but that's what happens when mana gen pops up in U.

I read them a while back. Probably wouldn't hurt to reread them. Using card codes and a skeleton, just edit out the codes when I export the cards for posting.

Rolled 1, 6, 7, 6, 2 = 22 (5d10)

is this overpowered?

Rolled 9, 4, 10, 3 = 26 (4d10)

Oh that's neat, kudos to whoever made that.

color,type,rarity and cmc

>Flash, Flying, Hexproof
This is fine, it's a big stealth jet you don't expect to see coming.

>Haste
I'd do either Flash or Haste, having both feels redundant since you could Flash him in at the end of your opponent's turn and start attacking right away the next.

>Skulk
It's already got Hexproof, so what's the point here? I'd rather design it as something like this

>SR-71 Blackbird
>4UUB
>Flash, Flying, Hexproof (Maybe Shroud?)
>Whenever SR-71 Blackbird deals combat damage to a player, you may Fateseal X, where X is SR-71 Blackbird's power.
>At the beginning of your upkeep, scry 2

Flash and Hexproof aren't black.

Haste isn't blue and it's barely black.

Flying and Skulk is absurd because it means that this guy can only be blocked by a flier with 0 to 1 power.

Fateseal is pretty much always broken.

Deranged assistant exists

Flash is in all five colors if and only if it's necessary to make a card "work". So for example, if you made a black Assassin that was basically a Nekrataal, then stapled Flash to it because the black in your set was short both a creature and an instant-speed removal card at Uncommon, you'd be in the clear. If you're just doing it to do it, newp. A more clear example would be if a card needed to ETB on an opponent's turn to work, or something like that. Otherwise yes, Flash is GU. Haste is very black; this is just fallacious. Haste is in R, B, and G solidly. Everything else you said is on point.

Good luck, Timeanon. We're pulling for you.

Hm, then I guess Pirateanon and Timeanon are the only two "good" posters by that definition then, because they're the only ones that really ever come up. I can think of a half dozen others off the top of my head that would increase the quality of these threads by a lot, and I am not including myself in that, because all my cards are shit and so am I. I'm not saying we should go about pining for posters from 5 years ago to come back, but when a select few are put on a pedestal time and time again, deserved or no, I assure you, it dissuades people from posting because they feel inadequate or unappreciated, especially if they strive to listen to feedback and give it on the regular. Or maybe I care too much and should shut the fuck up. Who knows?

so drop flash. anything else?

The exception doesn't prove the rule. Also, Innistrad is noted for being heavily top-down, which means at times it put flavor above mechanics. So... yeah, bad example, try again.

Hey, are you Savage user? I've been making cards to sorta represent different /ccg/ posters, and I wanted to make one for you too. Do you have any requests/suggestions? Any major themes/mechanics from that set you were making that could work?

Blue can make mana for artifacts, but not much else, and only when it's thematic to do so. Also according to SoI it can do instants and sorceries too, but again, it's not something that it should get often, so I'd have to agree with both of you here.
>heavily top down setbuilding trumping the pie
If WotC does it, so can we. It's hard to do WELL, but we can do it since they set precedent. Great care needs to be taken though; I wouldn't trust anyone here to pull off Scars block, for example.