Traveller General

Traveller is a classic science fiction system first released in 1977. In its original release it was a general purpose SF system, but a setting was soon developed called The Third Imperium, based on classic space opera tropes of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, with a slight noir tint.
Though it can support a wide range of game types, the classic campaign involves a group of retired veterans tooling around in a spaceship, taking whatever jobs they can find in a desperate bid to stay in business, a la Firefly or Cowboy Bebop.

Library Data: Master Archive:
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q

Galactic Maps:
travellermap.com/
utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

Resources:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Traveller
zho.berka.com/
travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/
wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
freelancetraveller.com/index.html

Traveller General Homebrew:
pastebin.com/G1kb29aT

Music to Explosive Decompression to:
>Old Timey Space music
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4&list=RD02FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=w0cbkOm9p1k
youtube.com/watch?v=MDXfQTD_rgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
>Slough Feg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7DJqiYonw&list=PL8DEC72A8939762D4
>Goldsmith - Alien Soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=3lAsqdFJbRc&list=PLpbcquz0Wk__J5MKi66-kr2MqEjG54_6s
>Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still
youtube.com/watch?v=3ULhiVqeF5U
>Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
youtube.com/watch?v=nz1cEO01LLc
>Tangerine Dream - Hyberborea
youtube.com/watch?v=9LOZbdsuWSg
>Brian Bennett - Voyage
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZioqPPugEI

Servers:
Discord:
discord.gg/3bcgzB

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lets try something...

UWP TC {Ix} ( Ex ) [ Cx ] N B Z PBG W A Stellar
C525341-A NiCo {-1} (947+2) [444A] ? - - 802 6 ? K5V B0

Tell me what you see.

You've fucked your formatting, bro.

C-class port, decent tech-level.

Non-industrial, but I don't know what "Co" stands for.

A planet that is probably near the frontier and not somewhere I'd wanna be.

I've been thinking of investing in the latest edition of Traveller, but I know my group and I need to ask the question; how crunchy is it?

All the rules can be found in the first link in the first post. See for yourself. Mongoose 2e is the latest edition.

Co means it is a Cold World. Traveller 5 rating.

Some dark cold hole where i might want to be as part of a pirates commanding crew.
Preferably wearing some sort of amored enviroment suit, stun baton and light revolver wit tranqu rounds in case somebody is looking for trouble... and a comabt shotgun in case I'm looking for trouble.

As any other form of traveller i would stay the hell away if i can.

In general crunchyness is subjective.

I'm GMing Mongoose traveller 1e and find that it has just the right amount of crunch to have no unnecessary rule but also to leave plenty of space to add things.

Also I've read 2e and while i can see the appeal but i think that the claim "It has better rules" mostly ignores the things they fucked up while they tried to create mongooses own special traveller.

T5 is very crunchy (almost not playable). If you want light, either got with Mongoose, or if you're down with an old-school game, Classic.

The editions between have some very crunchy bits, especially with the design sequences.

If you want to 'get' the setting, Megatraveller's Imperial Encyclopedia is as good a place to start as any as a noob.

One of the things that irks me with Mongoose is how they handle survival rolls - it's too hard to be kicked out of character generation.

I personally like crunch during prep, and a system that gives me that gives me another way to play.

That World up there? I'm wondering why those 8,000 people are there. What does that Starport look like - how do they defend themselves? It's lonely fun, but the procedural generators give just enough to build on.

Yout think so ? usually my players are kicked out 1-2 times over 2-5 terms. I think that's fair.

They can always apply to another career.

yeah i know, but i'm still not sure if i understand Anons comment.

In Mongoose, most botched survival rolls don't even injure the character. It's just a variant on failing to continue.
For the character creation mini-game, it changes it in a way that rubs me the wrong way.

I don't feel that way with 1e but 2e is even less deadly than 1e.

But i can understand you.

Melee attacks add your Str DM as a bonus to the damage, right? For Mongoose 1e.

>Melee attacks add your Str DM as a bonus to the damage, right? For Mongoose 1e.

not that i know. But I'm pretty certain taht 2e does that since. "muh gear balance"

The Pirate Port of Vahn Guld is an interesting place. Located across a J3 from the Imperial Borders (and is a short spur off a J1 main), the Navy believes that the pirates are well organized enough to place fuel depots in the gap. Since they've taken over a semi-marginal planet to use as a safe haven, that theory is entirely possible.
Finding said fuel depots is hard, as the raider's navigational computers don't record their position - in addition to the jump coordinates being hand written in unique codes on flash paper.
The starport is class C on the basis of repair and construction facilities, but intel suggests that they are less than a year from opening their first real shipyard - local facilities allow refitting of prizes and "building" (read, jury-rigging) of new ships from scrapped hulls.
All pirate crews that wish to use the port are required to add "The neutrality of the Port of Vahn Guld will be respected" to their Articles. Crews who pay into the Planet Fund may also vote on various projects relating to running the world, and several have fallen into, of all the horrors, honest work on building roads, houses, farms, and factories. Each crew takes an internal vote to decide their collective vote on the issue. The Crew extends to even off-ship, with farmers and workers forming their own. Astonishingly, the conquered population (all 3000 of them) took rather well to the entire thing - they were, after all, pirates by virtue of mutiny against the corporation that had owned the world.
There are three primary kinds of Crew: Ship, Port (including what little space industry is possible in the system, and the fuel depots), and Citizen (which is further defined by industry). There have been attempts to form Adminstration Crews, but those have been roundly shouted down - there pirates like their style of democracy, and want to keep their mishmash of votes and non-binding resolutions, and cross-crew treaties just the way they are.
Until the next crises.

It might be double dipping, as you add your margin of success to damage.

Not directly, no. The Effect of the roll is added to the damage, and a higher strength means you have a higher attack bonus, so would have a higher Effect.

With 2e, you do add your Strength DM to the damage, in addition to possibly having a higher Effect that is also added in.

I am stealing this

bumping with filk

youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4

one more bump

How do you guys think the rules for Magsails would go?

Dark, cold, not particularly important backwater. Poorly exploited or organized. Close to whatever interstellar cultural norm there might be but with the occasional odd custom, and somewhat insular. Signs replace organization and standardization.

Place needs an audit by Calendar Compliance.

I'm pretty sure Traveller5 has something equivalent