Warhammer 40k General /40kg/

WWWWWRRRRRYYYYYY edition

Previous Thread: >FAQ (New FAQ):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/

>FW FAQ
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Designer's Commentary (FAQ 0.1)
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf(and epub), SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Old megas
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Chart-user doing Emperor's work)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!CVkVTDqJ!qQfT1437iEAZ5ufmEdG4sA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

inb4 prancing la-la homo men ruin this general too

*blacks your path*

What do you do?

First for idiots that thought that index was everything 8th had to offer

Codex time son.

I shoot to kill.

Are Khorne berzerkers in Chaos Rhinos worth their points ?

Can NPCs get any more buttblasted than they did in the previous thread?

If I play Death Guard, will I look like a bandwagon hopping faggot?

Remember that GW confirmed that taking 11 Rubrics allows you to take two Soulreaper cannons.

Waturmelon

Yes. Don't buy the models you want because of it.

10th for Oldcrons BEstcrons

now chapter tactics are back for loyalists, what you guys think each of the traitor legions rules will be. night lords, emperors children etc...

guessing NL will be something like -1 leadership

By the time the other three powers get their bandwagons announced you will look the least bandwagoney

Not really, because a lot of people have DG models just because they're packaged with Primaris. You might look kinda like a bandwagoner if you make them obviously your main army, but DG aren't so powerful they're worth bandwagoning, and after a few months, no one will notice. Magnus, Guilliman, and Primaris are way bigger recent bandwagons.

9th for even hitting on 5+ a D6 shots, S14, AP-3, D6 (1 and 2 count as 3) is a thing of beauty.

Hit him with some WAAAGH! Energy!

Is it worth sinking 713 points into having 5 TH/SS terminators and a terminator Chaplain rolling around in a Land Raider Crusader?
That seems like a lot of points to have tied up in what is basically a single unit and it's transport

-1 Ld seems weak as fuck. Maybe -2 Ld or -1 Ld and they can never re-roll Ld, or -1 Ld and you can make them re-roll successful checks.

-1 leadership when outnumbering the opponent on turns where night fighting is in effect.

Befriend him. He's probably super nice.

Seriously, I'm amazed at how few DG players there are despite how hard GW are pushing them right now.

I suppose people don't wanna be the disgusting dudes.

or 1,2 and maybe even 3`s have to be rerolled

You're better off playing Deathwing if you want to try something like that.

It's only a slightly higher % of your total army than it would have been in 5E-7E, had you played the proper point level of 1500.

I could see something like -1 LD for each nightlords unit within X distance. I imagine the Legion Tactics will be a bit stronger too, given that not every legion has a special character, and Chaos overall has less characters.

>-1 Ld
>Icon of Despair reduces Ld by 1
>Death Guard would literally be able to have their bonus plus the Night Lords

SM: July 29th
CSM+GK: August 19th
DG: September 23rd

Not everything has to be done purely because its gonna win back its points in math hammer, user. Sometimes its ok to just field things you like.

>shoot to kill.
>kill
>Vulkan

They should have made ATSKNF prevent leadership lowering. That would fit the name

source ?

It certainly is in a full terminator army

His crusty asshole

>raptors give another -1
>what happens when your leadetship hits 0?
>what happens when your leadership hits the negatives?

I would actually deep strike those terminators and send the LRC somewhere else.

Well you would look like some 80's gay stereotype.

Could be roll 2d6 and discard the highest when taking Morale checks.

Should I start a new army or a new space marine chapter after I finish up my current company?

Ive got 5k of Tyranids, already too.
Theyd be a Raven Guard successor, but I cant decide between Primaris or non Primaris.

>>what happens when your leadership hits the negatives?

Battle Shock respawns your guys.

>Discard the lowest*** not highest

Hey ya gitz! I've done some bits of writefagging over the years and want to make a full log for the FoK campaign, so I figured a short bit from an earlier battle may be a good way of getting back into the swing of it. I think it's a little erratic, but I made it from the POV of a single soldier so it's partly intentional. Comments, concerns, and tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Ryn'va awoke caked in drying blood, slowly surveying the hellscacpe around him. As he came to his senses, memory slowly returned to him, and he began to replay the previous evening. He first thought of this when they first burst into his lines, a horde of armored figured springing out of the ruins before them. He remembered opening fire, sending a coordinated volley of pulse fire into them, yet the shots missed their marks, always hitting exactly where the creatures had just been as they neared his lines, the strange soldiers unleashed their weapons, firing a mass of micro-projectiles that seemed to adjust midair to tear into the weaknesses of their armor.

As the Fire warriors before him prepared to return fire, a blue haze tore from the ruins as more enemies opened fire. These weapons were far cruder than the others, blue bolts radiating with energy that left a sickening aura wherever they were fired. Yet more horrifying than the contaminating laser fire was its accuracy, passing within inches of the heads of his enemies, but always hitting home against the bodies of his brothers. The casualties were enormous, he feared, and a sustained assault like this would quickly rout his forces.

Yet just as all was lost, his commander tore down from the skies, his fusion weapons incinerating two of the unnatural warriors mid-charge. The rest barely took notice, and as they continued to barrel forwards he finally got a good look at them.

I want to make an all dreadnought chapter(Alpha Legion successor) what are some good names?

So that's what, a stronger (which doesn't help much at that level), less AP and same damage Neutron Laser that will statistically score slightly less hits? Muhahaha, they may have gutted our fun and most of our strength but we can still AT with the best of them.

>they should make morale completely irrelevant to 3/4 of factions and have useless mechanics like the Fear USR from 6th/7th again

yeah what a genius idea. I loved it when there were pointless rules everywhere.

Alpharius is a great name for a dreadnought.

>Be'lakor gives another -1
>quite possible to get -4 to Ld.

Whats a good loadout for DKK grenadiers in 8e? I'm looking at a unit of 2 flamers, one heavy flamer as a close combat style rush. But I also have this:

Death Korps Grenadiers: hotshot laspistol/power sword, 2 melta guns, 7 hotshot lasguns
Field officer: plasma pistol/power sword
Death Korps Storm Chimera: autocannon turret, heavy flamer

I'm just not that used to grenadiers get. I liked deepstriking scions and rushing up with Taurus vehicles, but I need some guidance on their proper uses.

>Interrogator Chaplains are -1 too
>-5 LD

>>they should make morale completely irrelevant to 3/4 of factions

It would make morale MORE relevant to MEQ than it currently is, moron.

Alpharius, Alpharius, Alpharius, Alpharius, Armillus Dynat and Alpharius are all pretty good names.

P2
They were vaguely humanoid in design, but unlike warriors of the human empire the beings didn't coat themselves in heavy armor and overworked gothic patterns. Instead, a writhing mass of tendrils and flesh lay confined within minimalist armor, allowing for unhindered speed in combat.

In shock, he watched as the monsters crashed into his Commander, the sheer force of numbers pushing him to the ground as their terrifying bladed arms tore him to bits, his battlesuit a bloody pile of smoldering ruins in just seconds. They then turned, the enemy redoubling their fire on his position as the creatures burst forward once more in a lethal sprint. As they neared, his vision hazed, a metallic taste on his tongue- by some arcane force, the creatures had clouded the world around his soldiers, everything a muddled blur of death and flame.

It was then the creatures finally reached his line. He remembered little of what happened next, between the sense-killing haze and his personal terror, only fragments of the battle could be made out. He saw a long knife gutting his Shas'ui, more strange creatures crawling towards him, and finally felt a heavy impact on his chest. As he fell to the ground, he saw the vague outline of one of them approaching him, and as the creature plunged a searing blade into him, he finally felt darkness.

my god you're right. let's bring back Soul Blaze from 6th/7th too. exactly as it was.

What do people think BA will get?

So long as Warpflame doesn't come back.

berzerkers are really good yes, one of the best units in the index.

>try something like that
Isn't that a fairly standard strategy for Marines?

Why is 1500 the proper point and not 2000? 47.5% of your army being a single melee only squad and it's transport seems even worse than 35.65% of a 2000 point army.

Well, I mostly just want to have my Assault Terminators, but my friend says relying on teleport strike is just asking for a beating, and putting them in a landraider is really the best way to do it, since for a charge to be successful you'd need to roll a 9 or above from the deepstrike, and the only ranged firepower the squad would have would be the storm bolter from the Chaplain (and I was also thinking about giving them a Librarian as well, so his storm-bolter too, and Smite), and if they don't get that charge, they have to waddle after the enemy at a piddly 5" per turn.

I actually mostly wanted to run a Dreadnought army, but my Venerable Chaplain Dreadnought, two Ironclads and lascannon/auto-cannon Venerable already take up 801 points.

It a 2000 point army that only leaves me with 486 points left to finish it out, and I can't even fit those two at the same time in 1500 point army.

Some gay Twilight shit I suppose.

What's a good general purpose heavy support for CSM?

Fiends and defilers seem solid for the points but have pretty bad accuracy.

Should I just grab a predator if I don't need a transport?

But only on a 4+

Counters are too clunky, just make Soul Blaze remove models from the table as soon as it hits.

Scoff at his inferior craftsmanship.

And lastly P3. My main intent was to capture the feel of the enemy forces, if I did that somewhat decently I can die happy

As he finished recounting what had happened, he surveyed the desolate scape around him. His brothers slaughtered to a man, blood soaked carnage piled high and left without though, and all their equipment destroyed or taken. As he attempted to stand he fell back to the earth, wincing at the burning pain in his side. The wound from the creature was deep and painful, a sickening pulse still emanating from the cut. As he slowly shuffled back toward camp- if there was even a camp left, that is- he pondered what fresh hell the empire had encountered.

He couldn't understand it- not on the field. His people, the T'au Empire, were prepared to fight warriors- proud and individual beings that thought, decided, and acted of their own volition. No matter how swift or foolish, the enemy could be broken down into individual pieces- men would flee from terror, stay back in hope of survival, or change the plan as they saw fit. Their autonomy- no, their emotion- was always their downfall.

But out there- whatever was out their- was not autonomous. It did not even process as the swarm creatures were whispered to, changing motion with the tide of battle, but rather followed a plan as if dictated to them even as the battle raged on. It was similar to the mindless movement of their drone servants, yet far swifter and more adept, never truly reacting to his people's forces but rather moving as if everything they did- down to which of their soldiers would fall when- was already determined and accounted for.

It could not be real, this enemy. It bore the flesh of the living, but he knew the truth. They were not men. They were all of them machines.

Yeah but that strategy would be marginally cheaper as well as way more efficient with Deathwing Knights over TH/SS termies and Belial over a Chaplain.

Squatted.

>Why is 1500 the proper point and not 2000? 47.5% of your army being a single melee only squad and it's transport seems even worse than 35.65% of a 2000 point army.

You were supposed to play 7E at 1500, not 1850. 8E 2000 is the same as 7E 1500. That squad takes almost the same percent of your army in 8E 2000 as it does in 7E 1500, and that's not even counting the doubled wounds.

Literally who?

Patrol Detachment:
Archon - Blast pistol, Agoniser

9x Kabalite Warriors - Blaster
10x Kabalite Warriors - Splinter Cannon, Blaster
10x Kabalite Warriors - Splinter Cannon, Blaster

3x Raiders - Dark Lances
5x Scourges - 3x Dark Lances
Razorwing Jetfighter - 2x Disintegrators, Razorwing missiles

996pts

I like Kabalites and Raiders so I tried putting together a starting list. I should really find some points to cut, or go up to 1250pts, to get a 2nd HQ to run a Battalion detachment, right? Which HQ do I add? Just another Archon and have both of them in the same Raider so I don't have to drop Splinter Cannons from the 10 man squads? Also, is it too dickish to run a flyer at 1k points?

After the first round of combat

I can't really see what they are. Descriptions are good, but the first part sounds like an Admech assault, the second Chaos and the third more Mech. DarkMech, maybe? Not sure what's going on with the "writhing mass of tendrils and flesh". Still, cool as hell. Rite Moar.

R8 this crusade anons!

>HQ
Chaplain Dread [Lascannon, Power Fist]
Emperor's Champion

>Troops
Crusader Squad [9 Initiates, Plasma Gun, Power Fist, Sword bro with Thunder Hammer] Drop Pod
Crusader Squad [9 Initiates, Plasma Gun, Power Fist, Sword bro with Thunder Hammer] Drop Pod

Crusader Squad [9 Initiates, Power Axe, Plasma Gun, Sword bro with Power Sword & Plasma Pistol] Drop Pod

>Elites

Venerable Dread [Lascannon, Power Fist]

Ironclad Dread [Hurricane Bolters, Chainfist, Frag launchers]

Dreadnought [Plasma Cannon, Power Fist]

Tartaros Squad [5 Terminators, 4x Pair of Lighting Claws, Reaper Autocannon & Power Fist]

maybe you have outshitposted me, but did you even play 8th. my entire point was that making marines (and half the other factions) immune to morale is a terrible idea, as displayed in 6th/7th. marines being mentally impervious is a shitty meme anyway, muh psycho conditioning folded over a thousand times doesn't stop them from being teenage girls in power armor who made imperial space the shitfest it is today by going traitor.

and soul blaze was just as useless as fear but for different reasons.

You were always ahead of your fellow Primarchs in arts and crafts.

Shut up, Brain-ghost Ferrus!

>writhing mass of tendrils and flesh
going to assume that still means AdMech, because mech-dendrites.

>did you even play 8th

play before 8th

you dont deepstrike them behind enemy lines. you deepstrike them where the enemy wants to go

mega.nz/#F!CVkVTDqJ!qQfT1437iEAZ5ufmEdG4sA

All the main 8th ed epubs/pdfs, but the pdfs have been significantly improved, including:

Page numbers fixed
Bookmarks greatly improved
Errata commented in
Lack of searchable text in some PDFs fixed (to some extent)

Enjoy

If its sallies you're playing why not a Redeemer? You'd be the fluffiest fucker going, everyone would stroke you

I post a battle report to redeem the thread.
Thousand Sons vs Necrons. My opponent was 100% color-blind which is why his models were unpainted.

Sicarians? Not a huge amount of visible flesh there, but everything else fits.

Still, it reads nicely and I'd really dig a novella like that. It's kinda rare that people get the feel of the Admech down properly, they should be eerie as hell to fight, not just guys in tin suits.

You don't know the pain of useless rolls until every single of your units applied both Soul Blaze and Warpflame. And all your units had Fear (not that it mattered vs. Marines)

How do you find BT in 8th? is the EC good? i only ever owned him, but i might get Grimaldus maybe.

cool having one of each Dread though never seen that.

I was afraid it would be too obscure. My idea is it's the Admech in all it's terror/glory, careless with life but insanely deadly. The shock factor of this overwhelming assault (the guys charging are meant to be Sicarians, all the haziness is the neurostatic aura) and all the hyper-advanced tech leaves even the soldier unsure of what exactly he saw, as even the Tau would have trouble understanding the seemingly arcane powers of the Admech.

Is it just me or are dw knights definitely undercosted?

Hey what do you guys think of this as a part of a SM army:

>Captain with relic blade
>Chapter champion with power sword
>Company Ancient
>2 Honor Guard with power axes
>5 Company veterans, 2 storm shield and power swords, 2 meltaguns, and a sergeant with combi-melta

I'm thinking about putting them all in a drop pod too

is this a bad idea to have as part of my army?

>WE: 3d6" charge
>DG: -1 To Hit if shoot at from more than 12" away
>EC: Always attack first
>TS: Wounding rolls of 6 when shooting give additional mortal wound

>Look Mommy, I posted it again!

From heresy to HERESY where would you rank Primaris with this scheme color

>TS: Wounding rolls of 6 when shooting give additional mortal wound
>army of tzaangors armed with autopistols surround Guilliman
>a hail of bullets later, Guilliman is left in a crumpled heap.

painted my first model in 4 years how did I do lads, pleas give pointers

30k marines didn't have ATSKNF

Checkmate heretic scum

>Primaris with this scheme color
Aren't those just CSM?

I'm mostly going for Salamanders I think, and I just happen to have terminators already with the special ForgeWorld shoulder pads they make, as well as I just like the Fire Drake models and would like to buy some eventually, when I get better at painting.

>doubled wounds
Did Terminators seriously used to have only one wound?
I never played 40k before 8e.

So kind of like blocking corridors in the terrain, or a path to a shooty unit they want to kill, suddenly putting a wall of guys with 2+/3++ saves and 2 wounds in front of them, and that kind of thing? I can dig it.

The Redeemer is like 60 points more expensive, and I'd rather have two Hurricane bolters dealing 12 shots at maximum range, or 24 shots at half range, than being limited to a piddly little 8" range and having to gamble on dice roll for the number of hits from the Flamestorm cannons.

I mean a Crusader does already have a multi-melta on it.

>remove templates
>keep line
Why?

wll they're dead hard and dead killy, buuut move 5" and no guns

Doesn't seem undercosted compared to other stuff in the index but I've not actually seen how they perform on the table.

OK, it REALLY works at that, but if you just put a quick flash of something recognizable in somewhere, just noting a detail about the aesthetic some. The rather good Flechette blaster hit nearly did it, but the talk of tendrils and strange bolts of energy made me thing Tzeench for a second. Please do more of this, though, they're almost exactly how I like to see the faction at war.

Those are primarines in that picture aren't they ? I don't think anybody can object if there is already artwork of it.

>>WE: 3d6" charge, drop the lowest
>>DG: -1 To Hit if shoot at from more than 18" away
>>EC: interrupting combat costs 1 CP instead of 2
>>TS: Wounding rolls of 6 when shooting give additional mortal wound per squad

Really glad you liked it. In game my opponent dropped like three squads of Sicarians right on my front line and then tore into everything with vanguard/phrons, so I was hoping to capture that sense of 'ohshitwerefucked' the Tau so rarely get

I totally get what you mean too, I hate the fact everything with the Admech makes them lolrandumb and incompetent rather than the full arsenal of mankind pumped on grimdark steroids and then sent out to collect whatever they can find.

I've always imagined an attack by them would be one of the scariest and well-coordinated things you could fall into.