How do you define a DMpc?

How do you define a DMpc?

A character played as a PC by the DM.

That's literally it.

A NPC that is treated as the "Main Character"

Having them be powerful doesn't make them a DMPC
But if they constantly are involved and everybody only cares about them and they are pushing the Players into the background then they are a DMPC

It's where the GM reaches into the game's anus while fucking it, and jerks himself off with an NPC.

The DM's desperate desire to play in his own world realized in the most uncomfortable manner.

A DM controlled NPC that serves to solve the problems that were put in place for the players to overcome.

A character that travels and fights with the party consistently.

Gandalf.

This is the crux of the matter.

See, my DMPC is eager to help and serve the PCs any way that he can.

He is so.eager that he often created more problems for the party.

These, really.

This.
I had this GM in shadowrun. He would (not always, but often enough) just give us one of his PC as an NPC... and he would always use them as the mightiest plotdevice or deus ex machina. So mighty in fact that it would be the same if we weren't there at all.
Like, we had this one thing were he started the session with us (we were just 2 players at the table because the others were sick or whatever) waking up in the amazon jungle, in a cage, captured by tribesmen and we lost our memories. Can't use my comm because there is no reception in the jungle. Bad news already. We somehow smoothtalk our way out of the cage. We ain't got our gear on us, so we are basically fucked. We got told they caught another guy. We ask them to lead us to him and inside the cage we see a freakshow like no other. GM shows a picture he drew of what he looks like, and its basically a super buff ghoul dude with 3 glowing eyes and spikes everywhere. I'm like "this is a pc. I know it. I just do."
Turns out he was sent here with us, and he knows where our gear is. The tribespeople let us go on our mary way. .

(Cont.)
Shortly after slogging through the jungle and grabbing our shit, we reach our target: a guy we are supposed to assassinate. We are on time to see him leave the base, on his way to a chopper. We can't have that, I think and we all open fire... except for the ghoul. He jumps forward, dodges all the bullets and rips the head off of one of the targets bodyguards. He proceeds to bite a chunk of meat out of the shoulder of the next guy. My character has seen some shit but this... what the fuck.
Suddenly, the target shifts into dragon form. Its a winged serpent.
"FUCK THEY SENT US TO ASSASINATE A DRAGON? NOPE NOPE NOPE ABORT MISSION ABORT MISSION WE NEED TO GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE"
Focus fire to atleast keep the snake off. Have LMGs on all of my 3 drones, loaded with explosive ammo. It doesn't do shit to the dragon.
The ghoul, done with the bodyguards, turns to the serpent, currently in the air, chasing us.
Obviously, as he has demonstrated before, he is an adept. He can punch things really hard. What we didn't know is that he is also really good at throwing things. So he pulls out this deck of steel cards or whatever and starts bombardibg the dragon... and it dies in like 2 turns.
And I'm like "why are we even here?!"
This was my first time seeing a GMPC in action. It sucked

/thread

post thread ramble Adding more to the definition just pushes it further away from its core. A DMPC is a DM's PC.

Yeah, but the thing why people talk about it so often is the fact that GMs tend to display their own PCs as super overpowered. If a GM uses their PC as they should, you wouldn't even have this discussion.

Do you think Cestree is a heal slut?

A like to create dmpcs with 25 in each stat and a special double gestalt class progression

>DMPC thread
>Posts a pic of Contessa instead of Jack

Absolutely, she's a Succubus after all.

A blight on the hobby.

I know right.

Define heal slut.

As others have said, a DM controlled NPC who basically works as a hand hold for the party. I can honestly say I have used them before but only few new players with a small unbalanced group. They can work if treated as a golem of sorts, with few to no deep thinking skills and simply there as a meat shield with a weapon to balance out a party. Their abilities should never be geared to solving traps or puzzles, this sort of gameplay should be reserved for actual players.

hmm I run Rogue Trader and use DMPC's entirely the opposite way, they're the incompetent fuckers that vox through that there's a flashing light on the gellar field status panel before a demon incursion.

Infact we have a running joke my players seem to enjoy because my RT makes a point of listing deaths on his ship.

So far they've lost
Garry
Barry
Larry
Harry
To entirely avoidable incidents although I suppose Garry is controversial as he got made into a servitor rather than outright killed.

There was also a Sally but she was infected with a genestealer so she's been wiped from the ship records.

This. Like honestly it's the best example. He comes to the aid of the Main Characters when they really need it, but he doesn't do anything flashy really. Except that time he brought the army to Helm's Deep.

A tool to help players that have no knowledge of classical riddles, characters with no non-combat skills and ones whose "RP" can accurately be described as "I greet him and roll [Social skill] to [affect desireable reaction]"

Both are fkin DMPCs, but bonus points to contessa for being the one who truly saves the setting instead of the heroine.

Just finished reading, and I almost cried like a little bitch, dammit. You didn't warn me, tg.