media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
When was the last time something elemental or primordial-related played a significant part in the story of your game?

Other urls found in this thread:

wikihow.com/Create-a-Credible-Villain-in-Fiction
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/Third party/Critical Role/Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting.pdf
critterdb.com/#/index
astranauta.github.io/crcalculator.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why is 5e so bland and devoid of interesting options? Was it so it would be casualized for normies?

Why are you such a bitch?

Can swords be spell focuses?

still can't believe they wasted an entire unearthed arcana on fucking greyhawk initiative

After two years of play, tonight I suffered my first TPK. I was a little excited to have hit a first, but the rest of the table was upset. I wasn't really attached to the character.

Not an argument.

You do understand that Unearthed Arcana was originally a bunch of variant rules, right? Not extra paragon paths or archetypes or whatever the fuck you guys call them now? That said I agree, initiative is ine of the worst parts of D&D as is, like alignment it's objectively bad and since it's its release better ways of handling combat order have been tried.

RAW I don't think so, but if you ask your DM if you can use some string to tie your wooden holy mark to your sword/axe/mace and he says "no" then it's probably time to find a new DM

You could talk with your DM to see if he allows you to have one bulky skeleton instead of two skeletons, which makes combat faster.
Also, Death Cleric is supposed to be an NPC class, it's within the Creating Nonplayer Characters chapter.

>The human paladin has less strength
Human simply puts 15 Str +1 from racial, it's the same as an half-elf
>the human full casters have less AC or constitution, making it easier to lose concentration as well.
What is War Caster feat

Greyhawk initiative seems like a far worse system to initiative. It makes fights take far longer simply because the amount of extra rolls alone and gathering who goes first.

It doesn't even sound fun.

Not him, but to clarify, his sentence wasn't actually a question but a statement.

I come across the Skold (shield) Rune in storm king's thunder, should I keep it as is, place it on a weapon or armor?

Well, we play "Princes of Apocalypse" campaign, so...

Why do you think 5e is bland? And what kind of options would you consider interesting?
I have not problem with either of what you mention. On the contrary - i would prefer my game to be even simpler.

It's not an argument user, but it's a legitimate question. So I'll ask again: why are you such a bitch?

Stop, you'll hurt his widdle feelings.

It's more of the fact I don't like the idea of minions, I've never liked that about Necromancy.

Also
>A player can choose one of these options with your approval.
I don't see how that makes it any more unable to be a player character then UA. You can even play a Death Cleric in AL games if you get the right certificate.

Have a player who is a water genasi and her people are at war with native fire genasi from the elemental plane of fire.

One of my players is going to be missing tomorrow's session, and since it would normally involve his character quite a bit I wanted to run a pseudo-oneshot that still had an impact on the game (albeit a little one). What I had in mind was sending the other players to the "dream realm" to either confront some evil force or go through a glorified dungeon. Here's the catch though: All the PCs are metallic dragons.

What sort of interesting objects, themes, NPCs, rewards, etc. would be good for such a party. Keep in mind that whatever "story" is behind this dream sequence has to finish within four hours at most, and it should have a tangible result that also doesn't put the missing player out

Crossbow fighter or longbow fighter? Which one is better?

When a multiclass character takes a long rest. When they get half their hit dice back is it for each class level or just the total?

So if a level 12 character was a level 8 barbarian lvl sorcerer 4, can they get 6d12 or does it have to be 4d12+2d6?

Not a big deal just wondering.

hand crossbow fighter.

This sounds like a good idea for a single separate gem, a gem that gives you a 19-20 crit range on activation, but I'm unsure if it would scale or work well for the sapphire.

Also posting it again just for transparency, should these items work with magic weapons?

Longbow Fighter before level 11- 1d8+15×2
Hand Crossbow Fighter before level 11- 1d6+15×3, can also attack within 5 feet without disadvantage

I dunno user it's a hard choice.

So anons do you roll or take the safe number for rolling hit points?
I take it on D8s myself

Why so? Hand crossbow doesn't deal much damage and its range is rather limited.

>What sort of interesting objects, themes, NPCs, rewards, etc. would be good for such a party
The best reward of all user
Adventure.

Not sure but this might help

*3? I believe you can't reload your crossbow if your other hand is occupied by another crossbow.

Am i wrong?

RAW states that it functions the same as a sling, you can reload with the same hand you fire it with and drawing ammunition is part of the attack.
Unless the DM wants to homebrew your character into the ground.

>When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.

Guess what. A hand crossbow is a one-handed weapon.

Wield a hand crossbow and have a free hand, shit out damage because lmao CBE+SS is even more broken than PAM+GWM.

Errata changed it to "you need to have a free hand to load Ammunition weapons".

Are they young metallics? I'd say maybe have them fight a dracolich or shadow dragon. Or a bunch of giants.

Just throw a bunch of adventurers at them.

Crossbow Expert gives you a Bonus Action attack with a Hand Crossbow if you attacked with a one-handed weapon on your turn.

Hand Crossbows are one-handed weapons.

Attack with a Hand Crossbow and you get an extra attack.

Now apply Sharpshooter to get rid of the long range disadvantage (bringing Hand Crossbow effective range up to 100ft) and add +10 damage to each shot.

Short range? Fixed.
Low damage? Fixed.
Bonus attack? Yes please.

I mean, this isn't a *bad* idea

Fairly young, yeah. They have already fought a dracolich, though shadow dragon has some merits.

"You all come to consciousness in a tavern. There's a heavy beating on the door, along with cries of what sounds like a gnome, a half elf, and a dragonborn wanting to get inside so they can start murderhoboing already. You also realize with terror that your hoards are all stacked up in the corner of the bar. What do?"

>15 15 15 8 8 8
come on now

GWM/PAM and SS/XBE is dumb af. I homeruled those feats don't work together

>15 15 15 8 8 8 because DM doesn't realize 30-32 point buy is better

I'm not sure if your baiting me with your post.
>Extra ASI
>All Fighting Styles
Have someone thats more experienced than me review your post but so far it seems mildly alright.

In an effort to make the champion class more interesting I am implementing these changes for my tables

1)Remarkable Athlete now grants an extra ASI
2)Additional Fighting Style now gives ALL fighting styles
3)Remarkable Athlete is gained at level 10, Additional Fighting Style is gained at level 7

I think this adds a bunch of versatility without making the class too much stronger

Does this make the class viable at all? Thoughts?

Would it be a good idea to be able to choose class features from within the different archetypes of the same class?

First time dm here. How do I properly build a villain?

only if the DM can houserule that some dont work together. Having an out-of-place eldrich knight feature on a champion that cant cast spells wont really work.

wikihow.com/Create-a-Credible-Villain-in-Fiction
What Tier of play is he.

a Low-level bandit king?
a Mid-tier Angery Druid?
a High-tier Paladin-Cleric duo?
a Epic-tier lvl24 Arch-Lich

Why would it be bait? Extra ASI doesn't seem to make it too strong since most fighters won't get extra much specific benefit to a build from it (they'll already have enough for 20s and their build feats). All fighting styles just adds versatility. Defense is the only one that stacks so it's pretty much the only one anyone takes at Champ 10, giving all lets you switch up fighting styles situationally

I just assumed it was bait because I'm not familiar with the balancing aspects of homebrewing and an extra ASI seemed strange to me.

Champion isn't all that bad compared to Battlemaster, it levels out at 15 and is actually better with that capstone. If you buff their start without taking something in the end, then there's no reason to go BM.
That said,
>1)Remarkable Athlete now grants an extra ASI
kill yourself

>2)Additional Fighting Style now gives ALL fighting styles
kill yourself

Probably not. At that point you are opening pandoras box. No telling what kinds of insane builds you can get

How do you handle the Paladin's Find Steed?
Do you let it get saddled and barded? Let the player tell it to telepathically attack?

Low level pirate king, actually. A hill giant and his non-giant crew. I have a specially bad time coming up with motivations.

>Champion with a halberd
>now have 8 ASI
>20 STR 20 CON
>PAM GWM Sentinel Lucky
>GWF Defense Tunnel Fighter

>Champion hand crossbow
>20 DEX 20 CON
>CBE SS Lucky +1 one extra whatever feat to boot, pick fucking ritual caster, whatever
>Archery Close Quarters Shooter Defense Mariner

never homebrew again

Assuming two 16 stat starts (Dex/Str+Con) you get two 20s and 3 feats RAW. No build really needs more than that to go online anyway (PAM/GWM etc). An extra asi either means a luxury pick or more balances abilities
Real constructive retard. Explain to me how giving all fighting styles does anything bad balance wise

>Played in an Encounters session tonight
>most of the party is Level 2
>joined by two Level 4 characters, a wizard and a ranger
>the two Level 4s basically solo a combat encounter to the point that the rest of the party didn't even need to be there
>they then basically proceed to troll the entire Level 2 party with spells we can't counter, just for TEH LULZ
>magically trapping people inside their clothes, turning people's clothing invisible so that they're basically naked, generally just being douchebags
>DM is not only letting them do it, but laughing uproariously at their antics
>multiple members of the Level 2 party are quite literally asking "What the actual fuck?!?" as the DM says that it all happens the way the dice say it happens

God damn it. This is what our party gets for inviting in two players whose own DM didn't show up. A bunch of Chaotic Evil Trolls who basically used us as a "look how powerful we are compared to you" ego trip.

And the DM we've been playing with for a month or more letting them get away with it.

At some point he really should have said something to the effect of "enough is enough, please stop fucking around with my players."

Depends if he can get a psionic steed.

They're telepathic with an INT of 6 and understand a language of choice iirc

>allowing UAs carte blanche
>allowing GWM/PAM or SS/XBE
never post again

But can they telepathically attack?

The retard proposing those changes is allowing weapon feats, get fucked you nigger
>XBE
Ugh.

I agree, allowing upitty martial cucks anything useful to them is silly. Trying to compete with wizards lol

>can't even figure out ways to improve the build straight line with ASIs so chooses luxury feats like lucky or ritual caster thus proving my point
kek

>But can they telepathically attack?
kek now I get it
I meant as in the Player telling it telepathically through their link to kick shit in

Here's what I did to buff Remarkable Athlete:
>You add half proficiency to all Str, Dex and Con checks, as long as you don't already have expertise applied.
>Once per long rest you can exercise for 10 minutes and gain the effects of Enhance Ability (Bull's Strength or Cat's Grace).

wait till nightfall, slit their throats, done. Level 4 wizard has what, 22 hp?

I don't allow them so that builds are more varried rather than a bunch of Fighters/Rogues/Rangers/Paladins/Barbs all using the same fucking weapons and feats every game

>expects me to dedicate a thorough review of the feats to pick an extra one just to prove you wrong instead of just referring to the generally accepted wild card feats that fit anyone about as well
>thinks lucky is a luxury feat
>thinks people won't have the liberty to pick feats that fit the campaign like resilient wis or dex depending on your needs
kys

I wanted the extra feat to give the class versatility. Maybe grabbing feats like sentinel, shielmaster, mobile to give them more things to do in combat rather than move + attack. Battlemasters get 12-18+ superiority dice in a RAW suggested adventuring day while champions get (just attack every turn)

Champion is literally designed around that, for people that don't want to read rules. You're massively missing the point of the Archetype, m8

Anyone got a PDF for matt Mercer campaign

This. Personally I just make their level 3 also give +1 Attack/Damage which seems alright.

No idea.

I doubt they'll be back. They've had their fun at our expense. Hopefully.

And if they do come back, I'm fairly certain almost the entire party would tell them to fuck off and find somebody else to torment.

I don't mind some goofing around, but blatant "we're gonna fuck with you for no real reason, and you're powerless to stop it", that's just mean spirited, and isn't winning them any friends.

As for the DM, his enjoyment of them fucking with us is making me reconsider playing at his table.

Champion is literally designed to just be "I attack the bad thing": the archetype. Some people enjoy playing that way.

>Anyone got a PDF for matt Mercer campaign

Here you go, somebody posted it in the last Critical Role thread:

Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting

dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/Third party/Critical Role/Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting.pdf

Yeah sure. Honestly if the steed dies, you can re-summon it later.

Someone posted the link on a critical role thread. If it's not in the catalog, should be in the archive. I downloaded the stuff myself.

I can't see why not. It's not like it's a stupid ass phb ranger amirite?
But not if you're actually riding it, or so say the Mounted Combat rules. It's the exchange for getting advantage on stuff.

You're not getting it. No feat you can pick is going to pump the straight line power level of a build. Lucky is hardly going to spike your dps, resilient isn't going to do that either. Also you are clearly retarded since you can't come up with anything besides "kys" for a conversation
The class is weak. Unless completely optimized it falls behind unoptimized builds. No reason not to give the underpowered "attack the target" class an extra chance to do other things without imcreasing dps

I return with further Martial Feat "rebalancing".

Starting with GWM. I was going to make a separate one for Finesse and non-Heavy/non-Finesse weapons, but it's easier to just lump them all into one.

>Deadly Attacks
You've mastered striking enemies where their defenses are weakest. You gain the following benefits:

• On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

• Before you make a melee attack with a melee weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to not add your Proficiency Bonus to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add your Proficiency Bonus to the attack's damage. If you are wielding the weapon with two hands via the Versatile or Two Handed traits, you instead add double your Proficiency bonus to the attack.

This seems to me like it's in a "decent" place, GWM now scales better in both damage and chance to hit in addition to making Versatile weapons a lot better overall.

Dual Wielder, made mainly to go with new GWM (And to hopefully make a competitor to PAM+GWM and CBE+SS)

>Dual Wielding Master
You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:

• You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.

• You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.

• You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.

• If both Two Handed Weapons you are wielding are Versatile, you count as wielding both of them in two hands.

This makes TWF significantly stronger, (Still needs TWF style to be fully effective), while also making STR TWF more viable since there isn't any Finesse Versatile weapons. With this you can pick either PAM+GWM for the chance of Reaction Attacks or TWF with GWM for more damaging attacks without reach. (Think of it as the melee equivalent to CBE.)

>want to make a wizard
>realizing summoning is gimped
>Necro not so Necro anymore

Fuck. Anyone got anything else with some spells in it for a specific themed wizard? Kind of not used to that class.

On to the ranged feats.

This is pretty much identical to Sharpshooter, except that it includes Thrown Weapons.

>Deadly Marksman
You have mastered ranged and thrown weapons and can make shots that others find impossible. You gain the following benefits:

• Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged and thrown weapon attack rolls.

• If you make a thrown weapon attack, you can draw another weapon if at least one hand is free as part of the attack.

• Your ranged and thrown weapon attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.

• Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to not add your Proficiency Bonus to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add your Proficiency Bonus to the attack's damage. If you are wielding the weapon with two hands via the Versatile or Two Handed traits, you instead add double your Proficiency bonus to the attack.

Crossbow Expert revamped to be more of a "Ranged Weapon" master. The biggest change is allowing Hand Crossbows to be used with a shield or one-handed weapon and a weaker Sharpshooter, replacing the Hand Crossbow super-damage spam with the Shortbow (When combined with the above revamped Sharpshooter).

>Ranged Weapon Master
Thanks to extensive practice with ranged weapons, you gain the following benefits:

• You ignore the loading quality of crossbows with which you are proficient, and can load Hand Crossbows with both hands full if you are not Grappled or Restrained.

• Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.

• When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you are holding.

• When you use the Attack action and attack a target within 100 feet with a Shortbow, you can use a bonus action to attack again with your Shortbow if your target is within 100 feet.

Thank you very much

>power is just damage
>rerolling a miss/failed save isn't power
>turning a disadvantage into super advantage isn't power
>not spending 3 turns feared running from the dragon isn't power
>not dodging out of 90 damage worth of fire breath isn't power
What can I say, you should really kill yourself.

>The class is weak.
[citation needed]
Run the damage calculations before you come shit up a perfectly good thread with your stupid ass bullshit.

That doesn't answer my question but thanks all the the same

So you'll take your chances with a d6&d8 but not a d10 or d12? Sound smart.

I don't play Barbs at least not yet
And taking a 5 on a 8 feels better to me than taking a 6 on a 10
It's just one of those things man

Only issue I see is the crit extra attack does nothing for twf

How often is there a CR thread??

>in a dungeon
>meet a rebel group
>they have a mage npc
>shows he can do magic
>i do it too
>he keeps trying to one up me
>we get in an arcana off
>i fucking lose
>whole time we're in combat the fucko laughs at me and taunts me and shows off

Please use a tripcode

Yeah that's a bit iffy, but I figure always getting your bonus attack (Which is stronger than a PAM bonus attack, assuming you have the TWF style) makes up for it.

In addition, Barbarian should be able to get TWF.

rerolling one dice roll 3 times a day isn't as strong as you think

also damage wise the champion falls behind battlemaster for like 17 levels and that's before you actually add the effects of manuevers. How about you think through things before ruining a thread with your mindless bullshit

Don't worry user, that's all the retarded shit I'll be posting.

Not a problem.

I haven't had much of a chance to read through it yet myself.

But one thing I have noticed is that the inability to actually use the names of the Gods is a bit distracting. Especially if you don't really know what their titles or nicknames are.

Once per episode, with maybe one extra in a week if the discussion is ongoing.

It boils down to
>Grog/Travis is best
>Marisha is the worst in every conceivable way
>SJW+anti CR copy pasta
so the threads are only worth having to discuss specific events, such as Darin De Paul being awesome and Marisha shitting it up again.

Pretty much with every new episode.

It's half people who don't like it bitching that it even exists, and half people calling out Keyleth/Marisha over her idiotic decisions.

And somewhere in there is actual plot discussion of the current episode and several previous episodes. And the show as a whole.

It is. It is so strong, in fact, that a watered-down version of it is apparently good enough to be a fighter feature thrice.

So with your changes, the Champion starts equal with the BM, to just blow it the fuck away in the later levels. Sure solved the balance between subclasses, fucker.

Damn I wish I could shit talk druid more

Just wait till thursday, it's at least 1/3 of every thread.

New to DMing, how easy is it to convert creatures from older editions of dnd to 5e? The core monster manual doesn't really have anything I need, and seems to be very lacking in humanoid creatures.

It's so strong that it's one of the worst abilities a fighter gets. Good point. Lemme know the next time you go to 13 Fighter multiclass to pick it up

With my changes champion starts weaker than BM and ends about the same with still less versatility. Great pointn ya got me

Volo's Guide to Monsters has more stats for humanoids, might be worth checking out before you try to convert stuff.

WotC put out a guide that's... okay-ish. Be sure to read the DMG guide on CR calculation.

You can put together nice-looking statblocks easily with this: critterdb.com/#/index

And calculate CR more easily with this: astranauta.github.io/crcalculator.html

What are you trying to convert? Volos has more stuff and the DMG has an extensive list of npc template modifiers for humanoids