EDH Commander General /edhg/

Two Monkeys Fuckin' Edition

Tell me about your bad beets Veeky Forums

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text= [:] [create] [token]&color= @([W])&type= [Enchantment]
discord.gg/4f4gz
edhrec.com/commanders/shattergang-brothers
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-10-16-super-smash-bros/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-god-of-pissing-my-play-group-off-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What, no thread question?

>BUG Sidisi Zombie/Dredge
>Marath Counters, Tokens, and Combo
>Trostani
>Hapatra
>Ravos/Tymna Token Aristocrats
>Locust God

Who else is addicted to going wide here? Shit, even my Breya has a Thopter token subtheme. Send help

I want to run something... Dickish.

Shattergang Brothers running MLD, Dredge, Mana Rocks, Dredge, and Energy. Basically playing the "Rich Miser's Famine" style of game.

Would it work, or is it too inefficient?

How do you feel about this card?

Only issue besides the mad expensive and clunky shit this is, is the fact that it's a fucking triggered ability, yet it has the "activate this ability once per turn" clause, which is dumb in many ways, biggest of which being the fact that it's exclusive for activated abilities.
I think you could get by with cheaper ability cost, or just having a trigger for each spell cast and not having the upkeep cost.

I have literally never had the card played against me in EDH. And when that was around in standard I was playing GW Megamorph which also went super wide but mostly played around that card.

Yeah its called stax

Especially when you consider the powerlevel of most EDH generals.

I didn't quite know how to word it so that the creature would gain the activated ability. I think 1RW would ultimately be fine if the upkeep cost was dropped, considering how many big spells EDH players like to play. Reverberate-esque effects are usually priced at around 4 mana on other creatures, so I forced myself to push the cost up.

How dickish can I make a Shattergang Stax? Seems good on the surface for alternative energy sources/manaless, and Jund seems to have all the right colors. This will be my second deck, apologies for noobishness.

are there any other enchantments like Heliod or Mobilization where I can dump mana into them to make tokens the same turn it comes down?

You can be a dick against one person once then the playgroup will target you from turn 1 every time you get shattergangbang brothers out again

You're in good colors. Your main role players will be black and red, green will probably end up just keeping yourself ahead of all your stax effects rather than contributing to staxing your enemies.
Effectiveness depends on how much you're willing to spend. The big stax cards (Chains of Mephistopheles, the Abyss, etc.) are expensive AF. Even some of the more conservative options like Blood Moon might be out of your price range.

When someone plays mld or stax at my lgs we just say ok good game then keep playing on without them

Sacred Mesa comes to mind immediately.
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text= [:] [create] [token]&color= @([W])&type= [Enchantment]

OH MY GAWD OP YOU FORGOT THE DISCORD LINK AGAIN

discord.gg/4f4gz

$15 a week, and that's all I've budgeted for entertainment and games purposes, though I do get a %10 discount from my FLGS. How am I looking?

Dicksword is for gay firemen and pucatrade, get your jewish buttfuckery out of here

>$15 a week
Oh boy. It'll take a WHILE for any kind of decent stax build on that small of a budget.
I say just get staples for the colors and build outward from there. Better to have a deck that you can play right now but isn't exactly your desired strategy, than waiting and saving for something later.

18 weeks you can buy 1 abyss and 25 weeks you can buy 1 chains I hope you have the landbase already

Use LOTS of mana rocks. They let you play without lands and feed shatter gang when you no longer need them. Also shatergang is SUPER mana hungery. So run pleanty of ramp.

Dont listen to these booty blasted peasants. They just want to jerk off all their lands onto the table and high five eachother.

Since you dont have a big budget focus on getting a hold of spells and permanents thet make or leave behind other permanents. Your commander can do the rest with his ability and you can win the (very) long game

edhrec.com/commanders/shattergang-brothers

Staples for the commander/colors. Got some good budget options.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-10-16-super-smash-bros/
It's not really close to what you're going for but that's my Shattergang list. Less stax, more creature value, but might be helpful.

Wait, pucatrade still fucking exists?

It still makes the card unplayable garbage.

Oh, I've got a fully functional, and quite "brutal but fun to play against" Ghave deck, that I'd personally be happy with, I just have this guy who runs a ridiculous mono-green Ramp/Infinite Fuck You I'm FAST-HUGE game that's beyond what everyone else is able to handle... and that's his WEAKEST deck... I figured it's time I start an arms race with him... he makes some ridiculous trades because he wants to boost everyone's deck so he actually has a challenge.

Also everyone at the table has a "mean" deck. I figure it's time to create mine.

Thanks, will do.

you really need to read the link user

Why is this RW to begin with?

Man, he's holding that spear really weird. He looks like he's getting in a position to throw it, but he's also holding it against his back.

why is crested sunmare taking off?

People always complain that boros only has "turn right" commanders, and I was trying to figure out another venue you could take the colors. The only thing boros does well other then aggro is removal, and as reverberate and the like is common and popular, I figured it could work. Izzet is probably better suited for that ability but fuck the police.

How much point removal is too much? I run 6 point removals and 5 mass removal cards in my Obzedat and wonder if maybe this is an overkill

Do you run Blood Artist, Falkenrath Noble and Zulaport Cutthroat? You should be. Orzhov works best when you run a lot of Board Wipe, and make Board Wipe a threat.

Horse tribal

I run Blood artist and Athreos(this is a different effect but still something I like having when I board wipe)

I was asking about point removal thou. Right now I run
1x Anguished Unmaking
1x Renounce the Guilds
1x Return to Dust
1x Unmake
1x Utter End
1x Council's Judgment

Should I drop any of this?

My weekends start Thursday so Wednesday night I get to drinking with mates and playing EDH. Good shit right.

Mates work at liquor joints meaning cheap piss and I end up downing a box of this stuff called,

Double Brown

Tastes just like how it sounds.
On waking I have a vague memories doing the age old act of, buying cards while wasted. "Well fuck lets go see what the fuck i bought".
Next to desk is a Baral chief of compliance and a note saying 'ASSEMBLE HIM'.
And upon looking at receipt seeing I had brought one of every counter spell available under $20.

So this is happening now. Is this a thing that actually works? It will have absolutely no win conditions if i put in every counter spell I got.

what's some spicy tech for neheb besides agravated assault. I might go colorless/eldrazi bombs.

Raging boner, if anyone plays tokens I'm pulling this. Fuck that gay shit.

Hmm... Drunk You should've chosen an Izzet for this, but... yeah, maybe. Probably shore up your Offenses with... Mono-blue Wizard Tribal probably, but my gut says try to make Mono-blue Artifact work. Also, since you're exchanging cards instead of getting them, probably do some fun stuff with the new HOU/Amonkhet creatures with Embalm, Eternalize, Cycling, etc... make that discard effect work for you.

>start planning bug sidisi
>end up going like 50 cards over
I just wanna take advantage of milling myself. Also I feel like doomsday would be fun with her

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-god-of-pissing-my-play-group-off-1/

Should I run more or less apostles? Most standard builds I see use ~30, can I get by with 24?

you can but you shouldn't

Alright thanks. What would you recommend?

Okay, let me rephrase that.
How is that RW? Nothing about the card is White.

user, Captain of Boros
2RW
Doublestrike, Vigilance
Whenever a source you control deals damage to an opponent or whenever you gain life create a 1/1 red and white Boros Soldier token with Haste and Vigilance.
RR: user, Captain of Boros deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
WW: You gain 1 life.
"I'll never turn."
-user, Captain of Boros
2/5

user, Boris Archmage
RW
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may pay RR, if you do, copy that spell, you may select new targets for the copy.
Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay 1WW, if you do, exile target permanent until user, Boros Archmage leaves the Battlefield.
2/2

>user, Boris Archmage
Glorious slav

>Boris Archmage

I'd tell you to go to the custom card thread, but I doubt they want you.

A i loved reading Yuri Piotr as a kid

>Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may pay RR, if you do, copy that spell, you may select new targets for the copy.
Broken. Change spell to sorcery or instant.

Holy kek that picture

Boris Archmage sounds like a card from Legends.

>no thread question

Can you just stop making threads? You fuck up every time.

You mean Boris Devilboon?

Rate them.

i like it, would probably make her a 3/3 though

just noticed the second one, too powerful for a 2 drop

Which would be more appropriate instead, in your opinion:
>~ deals 1 damage to target creature (or player?) and you gain 1 life.
>~ deals 2 damage to target creature (or player?).

honestly just changing it to 1 damage to each creature or player would probably be alright. though id probably change it to 3 or 4 mana and keep it the same

I'm looking to build a sunforger deck. The problem is I see value in each other color I can splash - blue for draw, more artifact tutors and a few UW counters, green for big mana and a whole slew of WG removal, and black for just raw tutoring.

My question is, what's the best colors to splash for the forger, what's a good commander to use it, and should I just shoot for 5 color?

blue with shu yun, alternatively ruhan

Blue for counter and draw.

>Mardu
Anguished Unmaking
Cauldron Haze
Hide/Seek
Kolaghan's Command
Mortify
Rakdos Charm
Terminate
Unmake
Utter End
Wrecking Ball
Zealous Persecution

>Jeskai
Absorb
Brutal Expulsion
Cerebral Vortex
Counterflux
Double Negative
Mirrorweave
Ojutai's Command
Render Silent
Steam Augury
Suffocating Blast
Swerve

>Naya
Advent of the Wurm
Artifact Mutation
Atarka's Command
Aura Mutation
Destructive Revelry
Eladamri's Call
Guttural Response
Manamorphose
Reknit
Rith's Charm
Sundering Growth

Is gA around? I have a judge question and don't see a thread up.

Basically, I want to confidently be able to say what happens in different circumstances when an opponent dies or scoops when it comes to cards and permanents you own. When do they get exiled instead of just changing control back?

Mind Control, Blatant Thievery, Reanimate, etc. Also, in the case of O-Ring vs. Banishing Light owned by leaving player.

I'd think an O-Ring's second triggered ability won't resolve when the opponent leaves, leaving shit in exile.

I "kind of" know the rules, but not well enough that I ever want to contest anyone and people here just put shit in exile.

Where's your allegiance, Veeky Forums?

Orzhov but I want to fug Boros, Selesnya, or Simic

I like Rakdos and Orzhov the most when it comes to the two colors together.

Which is funny since black is my second least favorite color and white is my least favorite color. But they work well in combination.

Gruul and Izzet are fine, but seem to function not particularly different than each color on its own.

Black is mai waifu.
But if i had to choose a guild, it would Jewzhov

consider buying chinaman in anticipation for the abyss reprint at rare rarity in standard

Guess the deck, its janky and stupid, but i love it.

this image is so cringy, why the fuck is gruul some fucking dumb looking furry instead of a raging beast? why is simic not covered in scales? why is izzet not on fire or shooting lightning?

Reki, History of Kamigawa. Cantrips and is repeatable creature kill in Monogreen. That's what I run it in at least.

But based on your post, I'm guessing Tibor and Lumia.

Tibor&Lumia

>800.4a When a player leaves the game, all objects (see rule 109) owned by that player leave the game and any effects which give that player control of any objects or players end. Then, if that player controlled any objects on the stack not represented by cards, those objects cease to exist. Then, if there are any objects still controlled by that player, those objects are exiled. This is not a state-based action. It happens as soon as the player leaves the game. If the player who left the game had priority at the time he or she left, priority passes to the next player in turn order who’s still in the game.

>800.4c If an effect that gives a player still in the game control of an object ends, there is no other effect giving control of that object to another player in the game, and the object entered the battlefield under the control of a player who has left the game, the object is exiled. This is not a state-based action. It happens as soon as the control-changing effect ends.

>800.4d If an object that would be owned by a player who has left the game would be created in any zone, it isn’t created. If a triggered ability that would be controlled by a player who has left the game would be put onto the stack, it isn’t put on the stack.

If someone dies and they had taken control of one of your creatures, it returns to you. When they leave, O-Ring's trigger will not be put on the stack. If they Reanimated one of your creatures, it will be exiled.

Nope
Another one, if i post any of the creatures it would be too obvious.

Just what variety of idiot are you?

idk, the one that thinks that unique 300 dollar cards should either be reprinted or banned, because they might as well not exist in the context of 99,9% of playgroups

So, anything that causes a card you own to enter the battlefield under an opponent's control is NOT an effect causing them to control it?

So, like Gather Specimens would work like Rise from the Grave, not like Blatant Thievery?

So, rule of thumb is exile shit they got out of other zones, take back shit they got from the battlefield?

stfu and play a variant format if you want budget restrctions. The Abyss isn't even a particularly powerful or played card. It does not come close to needing a ban.

I ran Bullwhip in Queen Marchesa. It got cut super fucking quickly.

I'm still thinking some flavor of green. Is it Ishkanah?

>Anime, on my image board!?
>It's more likely than you think!

no, but it is unique and can't really be replaced with a budget variant. i think a single card shouldn't cost 300 dollars, because that's a lot of money to bind to a piece of carboar that might get stolen by the LGS' resident sociopath autist

i will allow you to disagree with me but i will not change my opinion that they should do something about the archetype-defining 300 dollar cards

Funnily enough, this is currently one of the strongest 1v1 commanders, it's at least dominating MTGO.
It's just counterspells and lab maniac.

Horobi, Death's Wail

Sydri or Horobi

Correct. One of the examples given in the rules is:
>Alex casts Bribery, which reads, “Search target opponent’s library for a creature card and put that card onto the battlefield under your control. Then that player shuffles his or her library,” targeting Bianca. Alex puts Serra Angel onto the battlefield from Bianca’s library. If Bianca leaves the game, Serra Angel also leaves the game. If, instead, Alex leaves the game, Serra Angel is exiled.

>So, rule of thumb is exile shit they got out of other zones, take back shit they got from the battlefield?

The exception being if another player is controlling something that entered the battlefield under the control of the player leaving the game. Say Player A Reanimated your creature and Player B cast Mind Control on it. As long as that creature is still affected by Mind Control, Player B gets to keep it. If it would return to Player A's control, it's exiled instead, but if it would die and be put in your graveyard, it is.

A banlist should not function off of price alone, because it punishes players as prices spike. The current system, which bans cards that are both ubiquitous and expensive makes sense in theory, even if in practice it may fall apart. The Abyss is expensive but is not a barrier to entry in the format, since it does not provide a massive advantage to decks with it as opposed to decks without it.

>A banlist should not function off of price alone, because it punishes players as prices spike.

elaborate

it can be anime and accurate. just because its anime doesnt mean it has to be faggy as fuck

Is right, theres some green, 50% of it actually, but its not Ishkanah
I like those commanders, but you need to think even more idiotic, 1 more hint.

Lets say a banlist revolves around banning cards that cost over $50.

It is December 2015 and you run Ancestral Vision in a deck (cascade target or some kind of silly clock spinning combo). 6 Months later the card spikes due to the unbanning in Modern over $50 and your fringe playable card is now banned. Ancestral Vision is not a strong card in EDH but the banlist says you cannot play it because you bought it when it was $8.

The difference here is $50 is still fairly reasonable. 100+, or even hundreds for one fucking card is not.

why are you moving the goalposts, abyss is a 300 dollar card or something

and yes if a card goes up beyond a certain price point, then it's probably best to either reprint it or ban it, because at that point it's only meant for the fringe mega autists to buy (or own)

Vhati? He'd have synergy with bullwhip.

Part of the problem with that is that both the cutoff point and recorded price will be somewhat arbitrary.

Why $100 and not $50? Why not $200? If you can find a card for $95 on TCGPlayer, but SCG is pricing it at $105, do you ban it?

Don't split hairs, certain cards are obscenely expensive and basically staples. These should be banned and most are.

To this end, please ban Gaea's Cradle. This shit has no business being legal.