Social Justice gaming

Does pic related bring anything useful to the game, or is it just inappropriately placed virtue signaling?

If you were running this Pathfinder adventure path, would you find a way to work in the fact that this npc felt uncomfortable wearing boys clothing as a child? How would you do that?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer
casualvillain.com/Unsounded/Stories/emanations.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You know i'm not going to read all that shit. Not for a bait thread. So why?

tldr

>taken in by a strange person and raised as a different gender
>this is a good thing

In real life this mostly leads to depressen and suicide.
Good fucking job.

>Does pic related bring anything useful to the game, or is it just inappropriately placed virtue signaling?

Does OP related bring anything useful to the board, or is it just inappropriately placed /pol/ shitposting?

Is this one of that shitty couple who sold a family heirloom and holy sword to be able to afford a potion of gender change, which was later revealed to be cheap as fuck?

> Everything I don't like is /pol/sting
Fool that you are, Degenerate that you must be.

It does nothing for the game. This is an NPC that only has a chance of becoming an ally of the party and even then being a tranny will never come up at all except for a brief side comment.

Unless you want to run him as a realistic tranny, in which case he'll never shut up about it.

>most likely
Luckily we don't need to guess on this one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

tl;dr it ends in suicide

>upon reading closer
Yes, yes it is.

There's far worse reasons to make the leap with the transition. He was in a situation where he needed to hide his identity and it just so happened that the chosen method was to adopt the false identity of the other gender. It makes sense that the person was initially suffering from gender dysphoria, they'd embrace the new identity they were given.

>If you were running this Pathfinder adventure path, would you find a way to work in the fact that this npc felt uncomfortable wearing boys clothing as a child? How would you do that?
Not unless there was any particular reason for the NPC to provide extreme intimate information about herself. So maybe at knife-point if she was viciously interrogated, or maybe to someone that she had also become intimate with - which is unlikely, considering she's married already. In short, no, I don't see any player character ever getting hold of information about her original genitals.

If it's virtue-signalling, it hasn't been done that poorly.

Anecdotal only to your spoiler, but I know a guy who went trans in the other direction (female to male) and you'd never even hear about unless you explicitly asked. Apparently they get a lot of shit flung their way by the rest of the LGBT community because of "going the wrong way" from what I hear, but don't know much more than that.

> said the shitposter

I'm genuinely curious about this, as should be evident from the tone of my post to anyone but the most autistic of basement dwellers.

>treating a broken leg as something that makes you slower than other people

I'm offended.

The 'LGBT Community' is full of so much contrived and vicious bigotry it'll make your head spin.

Slamming all those letter together doesn't stop say a gay man to find reasons to bitch about someone that's bisexual in the most hateful and ignorant of fashions.

I mean, it proves that Transgender is a mental illness brought about by abuse, no?

Nomnomnomnom tasty bait.

After seeing the flaming wreck that is Marvel Comics, it's a wonder that people still think diversity sells. I've never met a single person that has ever thought "hey, that thing has a tranny character, I like thing now!".

It isn't even a good character. It's just a character with the most generic backstory you could make for a tranny.

It doesn't really matter, though. Pazio modulues are all hammered dogshit and Golarion is a terrible setting.

Do NPCs often get that much "screen time" in your games?

In mine, the players are almost entirely focused on exploration, questing, and the development of their own characters. I have a hard time imagining them ever inquiring what gender an NPC "used" to be. I could see who he/she is married to being interesting maybe, but no one is really taking bathroom breaks in-game or checking out which bathroom anyone else is using.

But maybe my group is in the minority now, and most groups are focusing more on gender/sexuality issues in their games instead of killings monsters, etc?

It adds nothing but it doesn't take away anything either. You may as well ask if mindflayers specifically add anything.

Stuff like this is probably the best way to handle this shit, as it appeases the super radicals who scream and shout about representation while not really impacting the game in any way whatsoever.

Having your penis botched off at birth and being forced to live as a female isn't really the same as experiencing gender dysphoria all your life and deciding to be a female.

Really, who cares about the ethics of this in D&D? Polymorph is a spell, you can be whatever the fuck you want with no repercussions. The whole discussion reminds me of the Third Option concept in Unsounded - basically, in the comic there's a country where women don't have many rights, but, pragmatically, the state has a system by which females particularly talented with magic can have a permanent glamour placed upon them, making them pretty much a man. The fact that they're a woman is never spoken of and they are allowed to go into male professions, everyone ignores the original gender thing because recognizing it would be inconvenient. That's the kind of stuff I could see being commonplace in a fantasy setting where stuff like polymorphing potions and spells exuist.

>But maybe my group is in the minority now, and most groups are focusing more on gender/sexuality issues in their games instead of killings monsters, etc?

no, out of all groups fucking ever i bet you there are only 2 that give a shit about these issues. they then sent a long, stupidly written letter to whomever owns that company and they put this character in

...The guy said in that post that he doesn't see a situation where the story delves into this NPC's past happening.

The post you're quoting has already answered your question.

>boy becomes girl
>takes the big orc cock

IDK kind of matches up to my hentais

The half-orc is female.

It's a big half-orc finger.

>Trying to claim half orc females can't have cocks
Bigot

If it's a particular NPC they gain enough interest in for me to include them in multiple sessions, then yes, I'll give them the opportunity to learn more about the NPC and encounter them more frequently if they want to.

Note how I mentioned that it's very intimate information and that the character wouldn't be likely to share it except in the most extreme circumstances, however. It's rather private and at this point, mostly irrelevant information. And yes, I would be particularly worried if a player tried to dig that deep for information about a character's original gender. I'd have to wonder why they were fixated on finding out such specific information.

It's simple, really. Give players the opportunity to interact with characters they like and learn more about them so that the dynamic of the interaction continues to evolve and remains interesting. If you really feel like the gender dysphoria of a NPC would do that, feel free to include it. If you don't feel like mentioning the character's gender dysphoria would enhance anything, don't mention it.

If there's a problem with that sort of thinking, it's flying right over my head.

Being bi has to be the loneliest thing, especially when you're religious. No one to talk to, besides maybe married female friends. Straight guys would think you're just plain gay, so would church communities (even though fully capable of just being happy with women), gay guys think you're a traitor or would take the opportunity to hit on you (no thanks). Sometimes "bro" things are Really uncomfortable because it stirs feelings that you're not used to in the context of other guys. But you can't just sit down and talk about it with them.
For all the LGBTBBQ nonsense, bi erasure is pretty real. But maybe it's not such a bad thing, all things considered.

Oh. I'm disappointed now

If the players are down for this sort of thing, it could provide an interesting way to step outside of your own shoes and see life from a different point of view.

Or it could be a way to trigger /pol/-tier autists who are trying a run some RaHoWa remove kebab campaign so they can live out their LARP fantasies without ever having to endanger themselves.

>aHoWa remove kebab campaign so they can live out their LARP fantasies without ever having to endanger themselves.
Actually, most of the people that I ran this module with wanted to do it thinking it'll be kind of a Doom/Crusades simulator. What was got was... less than that.

deep

>bi erasure is pretty real. But maybe it's not such a bad thing, all things considered.

not as bad as asexual erasure

no, we aren't just bitter virgins

>Having your penis botched off

Now I'm just imagining someone rolling a Nat 1 and their cock shoots off into the distance, splitting the gaming table in half as it rockets into the ether.

>mfw Ironfang Invasion
>mfw literally every single NPC is missing a limb

EVEN THE CENTAUR IS MISSING A LEG

>Or it could be a way to trigger /pol/-tier autists who are trying a run some RaHoWa remove kebab campaign

People like this are hilarious. They always come off as just slightly dim and a bit stubborn, until suddenly everything clicks, and you realize the reason they're so adamant about the merfolk being the bad guys and the evil viziers secret police being good is that they've decided the merfolk are [insert popular scapegoat] and the vizier is doing kek's work.

>no, we aren't just bitter virgins

Of course you are, asexuality is one of the dumbest things to come out of the 20th century.

>muh Jewish conspiracy
>muh oppression = Lawful Good

These people are insane. They think mass murder is morally acceptable while simply living in the same neighborhood as someone with a different ethnicity is a crime against humanity. It's like they're living on fucking Bizzaro World

Just like real life. You can be any sex or gender, but please don't make your whole character revolve around this one characteristic. If your gender status is your only interesting feature, you are doing something wrong.

All I could think while reading this post was how many buzzwords you've used to sell such an utterly pedestrian idea.

Unless you've literally made yourself in a setting that is modern day earth, you're already playing from a different point of view.

>Not unless there was any particular reason for the NPC to provide extreme intimate information about herself.
This, bascially.

Why would players even care? What would be the point?
These guys have world to save, treasure to loot and monsters to slay, finding out some special NPC's gender is not even on the list.

The funny part about Anevia is she ceases to exist as any sort of notable NPC by Book 2, and by Book 3 all the "SocJus" NPCs don't matter. By that point, the PCs are the ones that matter, and due to the nature of WotR it is without a doubt the biggest masturbatory power-fantasy out of any campaign I've experienced.

Allow me to put this in perspective. In Curse of the Crimson Throne, you're going to end the campaign at level 15 with your name associated with the heroes that slew an insane queen and brought stability to a city. In Wrath of the Righteous, you're ending the campaign at level 20 Mythic 10, having slain a Demon Lord (basically a god) and closed the single greatest threat to the planet's peace since Earthfall. Most people are going to make white guys for this campaign, too, so if people are going to BITCH and WHINE about the representation of non-whites or LGBT characters than they need to realize the story ain't about the gay guy and his twink lover, it's about THEM.

you aren't in the acronym, no one is obligated to give a fuck about you

LGBT

>LGBT

Uhh, the acronym is now LGBTQUIA+, also known as QUILTBAG.

And that is my issue with gender shit in RP. Unless it's important than fuck off. Who cares. Social justice stuff is mostly easy to ignore though. Unless it becomes a case of the creator's changing shit because muh virtue signalling ala Eclipse Phase.

No

LGBT

>tfw I will never run a RaHoWa campaign set in byzantine Spain with far right intellectuals like myself

The acroynm is constantly in flux depending on who you are talking to.

Yeah all they did was treat him as a girl

at least read the article you're linking to you fucking troglodyte

>non-homosexual transsexual
>always felt uncomfortable in their skin
>transitioned at age 12

Mostly in upset that they apparently mixed up how transsexuality works

Nobody in their right mind courts a social justice audience without believing in it themselves. You'll be found out if you're just faking it and, even if you are sincere, there's a good chance you'll be crucified when you inevitably fuck up. And that's before the other side decide to target you for being an SJW and ruin your life.

>bi erasure is pretty real
this will be my next band name
>But maybe it's not such a bad thing, all things considered
is the first album name

Holy fuck, that poor guy. He never had a chance did he?

>Ruin his penis with circumcision
>Then ruin his life by making him act like a girl

What the fuck is wrong with anglos. If there ever was the picture of a civilization's decay, it'd be this.

You can ignore it, but it can take some work. In a recent PF mod I ran, just in the first few pages was a "tough local sheriff ex-paladin" who was a female, and an old shopkeeper who wandered around muttering to her dead wife. To avoid the cringeiness I just described them both as male to save time, but couldn't the writers have been a little more creative? What's wrong with a female sheriff who's "tough" on crime because of her sharp acumen and determination rather than basically a tough guy wearing a woman suit? Not to mention this was supposed to be a frontier town where stuff like this would likely result in constant harassment, as opposed to a more cosmopolitan big city where it might be more commonplace.

>You will never turn into a girl then rough-handled by strong female half orc.

Seriously this shit is pretty magical realm too, I suspect its both virtue signalling AND magical realm, two for one combo.

Just like my Dominions 4 anime.

She was written by Amber Scott, the same person that wrote the book for Ironfang Invasion where everyone is missing a limb.

I can't make this up, everyone is missing an arm or a leg. This is literally how she shows the region is a warzone.

No, giving an NPC several pages of background info does not bring anything useful to the game. I don't understand how doing so is "virtue signaling," however. Are you suggesting that Paizo are trying to virtue signal to their shareholders by filling their adventure paths with page after page of fluff?

>gay marriage
>in pre modern agrarian societies
Just...

I mean, yeah having people without limbs can show how brutal a war is due to infections and shit, but to apply it to EVERY character you meet turns the entire war into a cripple fight, as not everyone loses a limb if they get a little scratch.

A better usage would of been a war in some frigid cold place and nearly everyone has frostbite or something equivalent and utilizing those cold rules to show how dangerous the place is and more so its environment.

You're obviously mixing up real history and fantasy magical realm.

its just not practical from a society standpoint, as basically you go 'fuck having children and keeping a lineage' to your family. which is why in fantasy I keep the homosex as a taboo, I.e a sign of decadence as only more wealthy people can go out to expensive bath houses and have gay affairs. Marriage is also non existent for such because of the need to procreate.

Have you considered that this, too, could be part of Scott's magical realm?

I mean, it is an established fetish.

The character was written by Amber Scott at the insistence of James Jacobs. If you weren't in the know, Amber Scott is a TRUE BELIEVER in the SocJus struggle, she GENUINELY does not care if the decision is unpopular, only that it pushes her beliefs.

As for James? He's a slobbish loser obsessed with low-Wisdom waifus and sticking it to the man, and in an old Paizo Forums thread that had a couple trigger warnings about how Pathfinder "does not have enough non-binary heroes," JJ posted how he is ashamed they didn't do enough to "represent the diverse and inclusive working environment they have at Paizo" in their games, and promised to include far more LGBT characters in future APs, and used Wrath of the Righteous as an example.

If it is, she did a fantastic job of hamfisting it in.

Please remember to always take 10 when performing routine surgery.

This is a company where one of their lead developers saw "nothing wrong," with the average woman having between 0-2 children. Gays and gay marriage are also recognized because they can "take care of the community" or "adopt" instead of have any kids.

I would agree if I didn't know medieval demography stats (or at least their approximation). See, you'd want a lot of children if you had high levels of child mortality and a lot of people died from diseases or famine. Cookie-cutter DnD has BETTER medicine than modern day 1st world countries, and although it's not widely-available, there are still a lot of level 1 clerics who'd be able to help with this stuff. I would imagine that big cities would have good healthcare, especially for traders or nobles. And nobles are known to be decadent pricks anyway, so nothing wrong with them embracing their inner homo. That being said, I would imagine more "traditional" villages, like small farming communities, having a lot of negativity toward fags.

TL;DR: I accept the idea of a non-historical approach to homosexuality if it makes sense in-setting, like with magical wizards growing your crops and clerics curing your kids.

Its virtue signalling (imo) because it's solely about her genitalia, alternate lifestyle, and mental illness, rather than anything relevant to the task at hand (save the world). It could have been two pages of fluff about how the NPC knows the secret entrance to the enemy stronghold, the weakness of a local villain, some background on the quest, literally anything but his/her feminine penis.
I haven't played it, but I'm assuming the point of the campaign is not "guess what's in that androgynous looking rogue's man-capris and you hit 20th level!".
I'm assuming it's virtue-signalling because "look we at Paizo give all lifestyles Representation squee!" But I'm open to an explanation of how I'm wrong and its actually pertinent to the adventure and gamers are actually using this info.

>He's a slobbish loser obsessed with low-Wisdom waifus

What? This sounds hilarious.

Can you demonstrate some of these waifus? Are they basically pic related as D&D characters?

Okay, but even if that's true, what does it have to do with OP's question? He's asking if giving an epic biography to an NPC contributes anything to the game.

>The whole discussion reminds me of the Third Option concept in Unsounded

casualvillain.com/Unsounded/Stories/emanations.html

Ashley did a whole story about this. It's actually really good.

Kasslyne is a treasure trove as far as fantasy settings go.

It appropriately describes the character's history and contains all of the information that the players could want to learn and might be able to learn about the character.

It's information that could possibly be relevant depending on what direction the PCs take it in.

>Its virtue signalling (imo) because it's solely about her genitalia, alternate lifestyle, and mental illness

I just read the thing. Her gender dysphoria is only part of it. As for her alternate lifestyle, she's a rogue who fights against the government of Zon-Kuthon County, of course she's going to be a criminal and sellsword.

But muuuuh minority integration is more important

One is a Wisdom 7 Drow who was reincarnated as a baby into an aquatic half-Elf who is the lead opera singer diva celebrity of what was literally described as the setting's San Francisco. She has dedicated her life to fighting the evil nobility by sleeping with them and stealing their secrets, which doesn't work out too well too often because she's got a dedicated resurrection fund.

Also owns a pet dinosaur, because RAWR.

that character sounds horrible and hurts me in every fiber of my being.

Ameiko, Shensen, Tessa Fairwind (who he also posted at some point about wanting to romance in an office game), Arueshalae (he applied a -2 to her WIS score for some reason), Areelu Vorlesh (by comparison only, she's jacked up on mythic power), Merisiel.

I could go on, but I'd rather not.

Goddam what?

The irony is: a true asexual probably wouldn't even feel the need to brand himself, he just wouldn't care. I actually runned a character once that could be called like that, I never branded him like that, just that he didn't give a fuck. But that maybe cheating, since he was not feeling a lot of empathy at all.

She was also posted with a bunch of other "Paizo developer PCs" and is multiple levels above them all.

> born a man

Stopped right there. Right off the bat they made this character about being a transgender rather than letting it develop naturally. "HEY LOOK IM A TRANS!" Is shit writing.

it is character backstory
it is not a story, it is history
it does not "develop"

I thought Arueshalae had a very high Wisdom score?

Wisdom 12 at CR 15. Baseline Succubus at CR 7 is Wisdom 14.

My thoughts exactly.

Wouldnt care if it didnt come off as idealogy pushing.

WHY? WHY DOES JJ HATE WISDOM?

>it does not "develop"
If it doesn not develop, why put it in?

It is history
it merely is.
It is in the past.

Muh LGBTBBQXYZ Dragon Cannon

You're just making the other user right. If it's never developed and was just put in "as history" "in the past", it means that it was put it to cater to a certain audience and not for any in-universe or in-character reasons. It's a gimmick, not a character trait. Gimmicks never make characters interesting by themselves.

I don't understand why you would find it so difficult to believe some people are born in such a way they have no feelings of lust towards either gender.

I'm sorry but I don't get this.

Let's look at the summary of the character:
>From her rough origins as a child on the streets, Anevia grew up full of wanderlust and desires to see the world. Her travels took her to strange lands where she saw many wonderful things, but never in her wildest dreams did she imagine she would wind up a paladin's wife.
No mention of the wife also being a woman, no mention of originally being a man. That basic summary of the character puts absolutely no emphasis on any 'degenerate' elements of the character.

Now, moving on to the character's history, it's safe to assume that someone's history would stand from the beginning, in this case, when they are born. Why is being born a man irrelevant and something that shouldn't be mentioned when starting at the beginning and why does it come across as ideology pushing?

It's a pretty common thing among social species for behaviors that contribute to the control of population to pop up. Gay lions, suicidal penguins, asexual parrots... When a population gets too dense the species responds in different ways.

you forgot the sad pandas

Because that's such a violation of nature and social expression that I'm honestly amazed you think it's something as valid as homosexuality.

That is you just reading into it.
"Pandering" is pretty empty word, because it implies you can do wrong by representing the wrong people or something.

>gay guys would take the opportunity to hit on you (no thanks).
>Bisexual

????

Ok, I have a question. As a heterosexual incel, how would my life change if I was suddenly asexual?
On the surface it doesn't sound so bad, and all of the problems with being a bitter virgin are really not much different if either asexual or heterosexual. The difference is that asexuals don't have any torment. That's not to say asexuals won't give a fuck about getting people to shut up, but I would figure they don't have to deal with wanting things they can't have.

Then why is Africa so viciously "traditional" and patriarchal when they're the ones with unchecked population growth? I could say the same about India, the most populous and most densely populated region on Earth.

And yet the biggest sources of this degeneration of the species is found in the West.