Order of the Stick

Consumers Report

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/comics/oots0946.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Holy shit, what is up with this pace?

Why did Durkon change to clothes? A cleric like him should be wearing plate, just like he did before.

I'm confused and afraid. First Guts gets off the boat and now this.

Evil cultists prefer robes.

Thog gave it old kindergarten try

Not going to lie, half the reasons I read OOTS is for the Thog edits that follow every update.

>fedora Durkula
I love it

This plan is still retarded. Just one of the the gods high priests could kill themselves to get around the "no takebacks" rule on voting.

But why would any of them want to? Sure, maybe they're not thrilled about Hel's plan now that it's out in the open, but it's really just Thor and Odin who are getting screwed over, and they were already against destroying the world. For all the other gods, I don't see that this changes the situation meaningfully.

Maybe the vote would stand even if they killed themselves.

Seriously though what the hell is this even supposed to be? A parody of DnD tropes and mechanics? A drama?

It's activated [Heaven] and now everything is speeding up.

There was at least one god who wanted to change votes, and was told no takebacks.

I am pretty sure that dying removes the vote. That is the whole reason Roy tried to kill Durkula.

Remember when you legitimately liked this comic?

Yes, it was before Azure City siege arc. Though I kinda liked Tarkin too.

I've still seen worse, so it's still okay in my book.

It started as a DnD parody but now it's so far up it's own ass with plot it's seeing daylight again.

Roy tore a chunk out of his armor during their fight

Is there an archive of them all? I tried googling and stuff and couldn't find one.

1d4chan has some, but that's the only collection I know of.

Already saw those.

Wait, the dwarf is STILL possessed? This has gone on too fucking long already

He;s not possessed, he's a fucking vampire.

He's possessed by this vampire spirit, last I remember.

His body is possessed by the spirit, because he's dead. His soul is still stuck in there, sure, but it's not like you can kick the spirit out and Durkon's back--dude needs to be rezzed or he's off to the seven heavens.

>His body is possessed by the spirit,
So yes, he/his body is STILL possessed. It's old already and should be ended. It's fucking boring that that thing has gone on this long.

Roy spent a good long while dead, too, and you don't complain about that.

When things happen to these characters, they STICK, at least for long enough to have an impact. Durkon's prophecy was fulfilled.

Would you rather he have turned back before they left the desert, making the prophecy false and all of the buildup with Malack for nothing?

The prophecy could continue later on in the story when all the readers are lulled into a false sense of security that it won't happen after all. That would be more dramatic.

>n things happen to these characters, they STICK, at least for long enough to have an impact.
you might even say that they're an order... of sticks

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I liked Tarkin as a character but I got tired of the desert.

So out of the loop.

Why are thy flying around the mountains, to try and get the vote changed on blowing up the world?

Durkon became a vampire, and in OotS's verse, vampires are basically evil spirits who posses the host or something. So now Durkon serves Hel, the goddes of death, who is trying to abuse god-rules to destroy the world and win a bit that will make her the new top dog in the god circles.
obviously, that means Roy and Co. need to stop her, because y'know, keep the world from being destroyed. That and they want to save their friend's soul.

the hilarious part is this is a B plot. There's still the Lich and the whole 'mistake of creation that could unmake existence'

This kinda sums up why so much "brilliant" writing is retarded.

Durkon selling himself as being mostly the same but a Vampire only works because the audience doesn't expect it to be anything else, because that's what a Vampire usually is and how it tends to work. It being different in this story after being sold one way is basically just Rich lying, and not lying through omission as actually clever authors tend to.

Likewise it makes no sense for this to be uncommon knowledge in the actual world of the comic itself. Vampires are the most common sentient undead due to ease of making them and they have a second guy on the team who's also into magic stuff. Shit, their entire team was formed to fight an undead enemy so you would ASSUME the leader who brags about not being a dumb meathead would actually know fuck all about undead.

This entire plot relies on the audience having had an assumption due to being given wrong information, and the characters conveying that information having every reason to know or suspect that it's wrong.

This of course being besides the point that constant sub-villains doesn't do much except artificially stretch the story, which is a hallmark of shitty DMing anyway.

For what it's worth the twist is apparently based on some old bit of fluff from a DnD book for like, second edition or something.

I totally agree that the twist was a dick move and shitty writting, but technically Rich can say it's justified.

That sounds like Rich's specific flavor of stupid. He's the kind of idiot that hides a character in the dark then says it's totally a real monster from a book and expects people to care through years of tease.

Why would the souls being trapped and replaced be common knowledge? In order to find out a vampire would have to be killed and the res'd with resurrection no less. That's a 7th level spell and expensive to boot. It took them forever to find a cleric of high enough lvl to cast that last time, and that cleric was Durkon. How else, shirt of divine intervention, would they know.

they wouldn't have to know.
but the audience would have to know.
there's a reason that shows, comics, and movies cut away from the heroes to give the villains some screentime to exposition in, and keeping twists like this from being an asspull is one of them.

And it was revealed to the audience prior to the vampires betrayal.

Except it's not as ass-pull, it was a dun-dun-DUN moment when when it was revealed how vampires actually work and as said, we had no reason to expect otherwise until that moment. It's been shown in comic that there are people who know how vampires work but the knowledge likely isn't common, the one most likely to know in the party is the one who got turned. You're just reaching right now.

Actually the gnomes at the temple do try to warn Roy about exactly that

>It being different in this story after being sold one way is basically just Rich lying
It was revealed early Durkon was not in control of his body.

>it was a dun-dun-DUN
giantitp.com/comics/oots0946.html
He was only a vampire a short time before the reveal

I actually remember thinking that Roy's death went on a little too long.
Same with Roy's sword being broken, and read through that entire arc as an archival reader.

Hell, it's foreshadowed even earlier by some of Malack's lines even earlier.

nothing

Learn how 3.5 vampires work.

It does make me wonder if freeing Durkin's soul would do anything to the vampire

Yeah, when Durkon offered to rez him didn't he say something about how he'd just be some dumb barbarian/shaman again?