Basic Role-Playing Systems General /brp/

A new Attempt Edition

Welcome to the thread that will hopefully give more life to Stormbringer, HeroQuest, Mythras, RuneQuest, CoC, and all those other systems that seem to die on their own.

A while back some fuck named Wayne said he was going to create a trove for this thread, but he turned out to be a lazy shitposter, so here's my attempt:
pastebin.com/AwhJmxLb

>Thread Question
What does everyone think of Chaosium's Quickstart rules for the new Runequest? Personally, I feel that the game won't be as good as Mythras in terms of being a Generic Fantasy RPG, however it could and should be a better Glorantha system.

Other urls found in this thread:

alephtargames.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96:revolution-srd&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=1&lang=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Feel free to suggest expansions and tools for the trove that I can add to them. Hopefully with a Pastebin trove we can actually make this thread work as a regular event for once.

>Personally, I feel that the game won't be as good as Mythras in terms of being a Generic Fantasy RPG, however it could and should be a better Glorantha system.
It should be. But Mythras is arguably a more robust take on the mechanics, and can be tailored to Glorantha as easily as an inferior set of mechanics.

Oh, most definitely. The M-Space supplement makes it especially diverse, since it gives us Psionics, Technology, Space Travel, and balanced Energy Weapons. I mean, without too much trouble I can easily throw together a Spelljammer ruleset that feels Cohesive and manageable.

So what do i need to run a dungeon crawl with cool characters?

How is Revolution D100? Does anyone have a PDF of it?

You know you can get it for absolutely nuffin, yes?
alephtargames.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96:revolution-srd&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=1&lang=en

I'm so lazy I haven't even unzipped it, but I hear good things.

Depends. If you're new to the system, Mythras and the Classic Fantasy Supplement is a good place to start, especially if you're coming away from D&D. I also like to toss in the RQ Firearms supplement for fun because the system can actually handle having Guns in a Dungeon Crawler. Same with M-Space Tech.

I had, once upon a time, picked up a BRP supplement for mecha and shenanigans like that. Looking it over and digging through it, I had the idea to pull out good old Call of Cthulhu and look at running CthulhuTech with a system that wasn't pants-on-head stupid with the more salvageable parts of the base game's fluff.

Any interesting stories?

It was a small game, just three players and myself. We had decided on more small scale stuff and went with a sort of All Tager game. I say all Tager, but there was one player whom I assumed was drunk on some Humanity, FUCK YEAH memes and made a cop in some Crusader power armor to keep up with the mystery solving nerds in fleshy alien extra-dimensional symbiote.

In alphabetical order:
B - He made the police officer. Your average hard-boiled, hard-drinking, and somewhat-self-inserting character who had some police-issued power armor. He had a healthy smattering of investigational skills and some shooting skills. He was nominally on the payroll of the Eldritch Society.

M - She made our Whisper. The character was a young journalist twenty-something of a woman, keeping her fingers on the pulse of the streets on behalf of the Eldritch Society and kept a look out for suspicious Chrysalis Corp activity and had a passion for the truth, even if it was detrimental to everyone's health and sanity. She was our investigational powerhouse and had social skills and contacts out the butt.

And then there's Z. Z was our snowflakey player. Z made a Nazzadi, which was pretty much a space-drow made by the Migo. Said Nazzadi was also our source of mystical shit since she was a Licensed Sorcerer and purveyor of legally acquired occult goods. She also had an Efreet that managed to metamorphose into an Inferno before play. I must have been off my tits to have allowed her to play a walking holocaust of an alien space monster.

what is the difference between Mythras and Runequest 6 other then Runequest has Runes?

Mythras lost the Glorantha and RuneQuest IP, and is in its second edition, meaning it's gone through two erratas of RQ6

One of the stand out moments I remember was when they had gotten details of something fishy (pun intended since this is Cthulhu-based) going on at the arcology's loading and shipping docks from their Eldritch Society handler. M started out with a look-see into what her contacts knew. Through some further research, she found that the Chrysalis Corporation had a contract and was working on revitalizing some of the old infrastructures down there. B took a much more direct approach, slinking down there and looking like some sleazy-looking guy who might be there to pick up a shipment of goods he had seen fall off the back of a truck. He walked by a good many of the construction crews and looked around, snapping pictures with this snazzy micro-camera in his sunglasses. From his guess, it looked pretty much on the up and up, but with the Chrysalis Corp, nothing was ever as it seemed.

Sending the pictures to M and Z, they looked them over. The girls had dealt with the Eldritch Society on a deeper level than the cop and found some juicy tidbits: The construction guys were stamping the fresh concrete and mortar with the logo of the shell corporation that these Chrysalis guys were using to do the building and they were all renovating the same level of the arcology. M hit up her contacts once again to find some more info on these guys while Z noticed something strange (and mystical) about the placement of the renovation areas.

Chrysalis was planning on bringing something BIG, SQUAMOUS, AND NASTY into the arcology for reasons that the King in Yellow could only comprehend. Something that would make Z's tentacle hentai collection look tame and innocent and would have been a BAD END for everyone in the arcology. And the construction company was unwittingly setting up the summoning circle.

M's digging found the guy in charge of the shell corporation and that he was hosting a party. Favors were performed to get tickets to his shindig where the cop n' tagers would shake him down for more information on how to keep the eldritch horror from nibbling everyone's faces off. With a little shopping and some dressing up, M and Z looked like some fancy big shots while B had his power armor waiting in the wings in case the more friendly ladies came into any trouble.

M and Z hob-knobbed for a time before getting to know their host. There was some flirty back-and-forth between Z the space drow and their host, winks, and giggles not lost as M rolled her eyes so hard I could hear it behind my screen and keyboard.

It turns out that B lurking outside near his Crusader power armor at a gala event would be very much frowned upon. The host's goon squad came out to rough up the scruffy looking guy, and things turned ugly when they pushed him out of sight and away from the armor. It turns out, these guys were like Tagers, but evil and more like hideous monsters stuffed into human skin suits. The Dhohanoids popping out of the skin suits caused B to shriek over their radio comms and get the girls to save his bacon.

And that they did. It turns out, Dhohanoids don't like getting picked up by a nasty Whisper and dropped from a hundred feet in the air. Z couldn't do too much as the Inferno, but grappling a walking volcano melted monstrosities just as well as one would hope. B scrambled back to the Crusader armor and managed to get some good hits in and knock out one of the hideous beasties. M and B had a nice little interrogation session with him inside a storage unit, finding out the timetable for the grand summoning was a lot sooner than expected. It came time to assault the BBEG's place and keep him from using human sacrifices like the mystical grease it is.

What followed was a pretty neat little dungeon crawl-esque rampage through the bad guy's compound in power armor. The Crusader armor kept a lot of the suspicion down before the girls busted out their Tager forms, the Whisper skating around and slicing and dicing guys. Z was happy to cut loose for once, literally melting through squads of normie security agents and Dhohanoid alike.

They find the guy, getting ready to flee the arcology and confront him, B roughing him up on the location of the ritual and sacrifices. The sacrifices were kept in the basement of the compound, to which M gladly took to freeing. Z nearly burned the place to the ground, the big bad inside of it (but not before raiding the guy's library of spooky tomes like a little klepto). B dropped off a tip to the arcology's police division, and they busted the cultists that met up at the spot.

It felt like a good time was had by all, so in the end, it was worth it. This is what I could dig up and piece together from notes and .txt files from back in 2013. So, CthulhuTech with that one mecha supplement and Call of Cthulhu can be done, I guess.

so, no rune magic and 2 erratas?
that's it?

There wasn't any rune magic there to begin with, just the runic concepts.
Animism got a make over, and the rules for minis and tactical movement got axed.

Great story user! Thanks.

I was vaguely triggered back in the day when I bought Worlds of Wonder and it didn't have a horror themed book. I mean, wouldn't that have been natural? Call of Cthulhu was perhaps their best game at the time.

We should make a Decker/Hacker system for BRP/M-Space. If we could make a system that worked in conjunction with Combat Rounds and ran smoothly, it would really open up more genres for the system.

Actually, we should create systems for everything until we can out-GURPS GURPS, except we won't make it an endless rules-slog.

Anybody have any pdfs for Mythras? The pastebin is all RuneQuest.

Check in the pdf share thread

Found it, thanks!

Bump