Critical Role Round 3

22 Wisdom edition

Thread for shitting on Critical Role, unless you're one of those weirdos who genuinely likes it, nerd

Episode 105 on Geek and Sundry site

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/product/216849/Critical-Role-TalDorei-Campaign-Setting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Let me get this straight:

You made a thread to bitch about a, what, a web show about D&D? Just to bitch about this pretty obscure thing that no one's making you watch.

And this whining thread was so successful that you made three of them.

Maybe I should check out this show.

If you do, skip the underdark arc that they open with, and get straight into the meat (or at least what passes for meat) of it, as you can clearly see the growing pains of them just starting on with the streaming thing during the starting arc.

then again I only watched a few episodes past it, before dropping it because I had other things to do, so I don't know much about it past that aside from the fact that Tiberius's player is very much a That Guy and it apparently gets better (slightly) after he leaves, but that's not saying much.

Are you new? A lot of people on Veeky Forums watch this show, very few watch it because they like everything about it. It's generally agreed most of the cast is shit except for Sam and Travis, and the DM is far too lenient because he cares about narrative over gameplay.
Most other places to discuss this show are hugboxes where you will be banned for pointing out how Marisha objectively ruins every episode

I absolutely went from fan to holy shit avoid it like the plague after I myself learned to play a while back. Hate marisha and actually... used to hate tibs too... but I enjoy him now.

I'm one of those cringey haters I guess. When it was new to me I was so happy to found it.. now it can roll a shit for fuck

What is the worst thing Keyleth has ever done?

Just wanted to let you know that I came in here to make fun of OP but you did a good job so I'm leaving the thread again.

Hi Marisha

speaking of Marisha, can anyone figure out what the hell "Keyleth" was so ANGERY about last episode? Fucking hell

I probably don't hate her as much as the other posters here but that time she broke a child's neck was pretty horrible

The guest was fun, entertaining, and a good actor, she had to find a way to share the stage with him whenever she could and that was the best she could come up with

This show introduced me to D&D but man do I not enjoy it since actually playing myself

Now that I play/GM I really hate watching other people do it. I've also realized how bad tiberius/keyleth were/are, orion was that guy and a metagaming, cheating little shit

Why does this show appeal to people who don't actually play D&D?

It lets them feel like they're such a "le nerd" and contrarian, but since they don't understand how an RPG works, all the problems fly right over their head and they're left to bask in the personalities and memes. at least,
that's my guess anyways, i don't actually watch it

> drivethrurpg.com/product/216849/Critical-Role-TalDorei-Campaign-Setting

Did you know they actually published the setting they use?

NAT 20 xD

Did you know that using a tripcode is strongly discouraged on this particular website?

Did you also know that trying different tripcodes until you get the one you like comes out as extremely desperate attention whoring?

Yeah it got posted last thread but there wasn't much of a discussion. I flipped through it and it was mostly boring. Found it weird how he had to change all the gods names because of copyright, but he was able to use "Graz'zt"
His custom class options sounded broken as fuck
I was disappointed with the Vestiges, definitely seems like the cast got the best ones. I'd been hoping there would be a couple we'd never heard of with wild and unusual abilities, but they seemed pretty weak, even when exhalted

Yes and yes. Also, I don't care... kid...

Seriously though, lets hope Marisha just plays a barbarian next campaign. She simply cannot RP an intelligent or wise character

Killing a kid and trying to kill her friends were pretty bad, but there was that one time she actively refused to help thousands of people against the Chroma Conclave

She'll probably end up playing something with just as many spells because of all the "fan support" she gets. We'll go through the same thing doing the handful of threads that pop up during it or generals at this rate

She'll still try to find a way to make everything about her.

>spoiler
Are you me?
I think I got about 80% of the way through the episodes he was in, I can't stand listening to the group at that stage, but my continuity pseudo-autism prevents me from skipping a bunch to see if it gets better later

Sad but true. She'll probably choose a fucking wizard or something, or go full Tiberious and meta game the shit out of a sorceror
Matt should make them all pick new classes completely, spell casters have to pick non spell casting classes

Being set 30 years in the future of the current world, she'd guaranteed to be playing her own daughter

>edgy, brooding, 22 wisdom rouge/druid out for revenge against the raven queen for taking her father and finding her mother who also went to get revenge against the raven queen and become leader of her tribe (again)

Vax and Keyleth are apparently in an asexual relationship

That sounds terrible enough to happen

Pls no
I can believe it, but source?

It's basically a cooperative story they can watch with professional actors. It's really accessible, and at this point it is less D&D than a story they all contribute to.

I don't watch Critical Role, I've seen a few episodes. In general I find watching other people play pretty boring and this isn't an exception. But I can see the appeal and I definitely know D&D people who watch it and enjoy it too - although I have never met anybody who likes Keyleth.

>whilst wielding dual sabers and having a panther pet

And she's totally shy and awkward except for all those times where she forgets that aspect of her character and is outspoken snd self righteous

It's in one of the talks machina episodes, fuck if I can remember which one

I watched the D&D movis (the horrible schlocky ones) and played some FR vidya before getting into the game but it never occurred to me that watching people pretend to play D&D might actually be the activity some people choose to fill their sorry evening with.

i like the show not a fan of the people or the retards that make up the community you asshat

no u

Contribute, faggot

been created by someone who never should have joined the group to begin with/been born

DM's girlfriend though

mainly the story and the voices and a few of the girls although they suck as people

then maybe you should stfu and quit broadcasting your ignorance before you've even watched an episode dipshit

And yet, it's true.

eat dick and choke to death bitch

fiancee actually but ya can't for the life of me see what he sees in her dumb ass but more hot chicks for me so fuck it

fuck off with this gay ass shit already you punk ass bitch

He sounds like a lonely guy who had kinda of a weird life

increase the playspeed and skip the boring/lull parts

she's pissed cuz she'll never get to have what percy and vex have since vax is on borrowed time and goes back to the raven queen after they finish up the final boss

Definitely need to skip. Any time they lower their voices and make a lot of eye contact

So she had to go fire elemental inside a wooden building

Does she forget that she can literally cast plane shift and so death is literally only an inconvenience to their relationship since they can apparently visit heaven on a whim?

Who am I kidding, of course she hasn't considered that.

he spent a lot of time in his room growing up reading and writing and shit not sure i'd say that was weird but whatever

what is weird though is that that fucker could have pretty much any girl he wants and he chooses her? talk about low ass self esteem and a total shit sense of self worth. she used to be decent looking before she became the poster girl for anorexia

she's a raging cunt drughead wtf do you expect

pretty sure it doesn't work like that but don't quote me

to be fair, Mercer's current depiction of the afterlife leads to what could be very strained relationships between the living and the dead.

>Hey Pike, how have you been? Oh, still a pearl resting on Sarenrae's shore? sounds nice.

>drughead
Source?

eh i don't mind the lowered voices/eye contact it's basically any time marisha opens her mouth or they all start talking at once that i skip

If they go the kids route, it would be interesting if they had to play the kid that wasn't their character's child.

Got the impression that those pearls were the vessels of every individual's personal heaven, but I guess you might be right.

I remember that one, and it was more than they don't bang all the time, there a times when you just enjoy each other's company.

she has a 'pot laugh' and matt has said that she smokes it to help keep her manic ass in check on the shitty reddit page.

they've banged a few times but not like percy and vex who get it on whenever they're alone lol

Yeah, fucking Percy and Vex are horndogs, even a bit BDSM.

`Jesus

Critical Role is for cucks, OP.

>doesn't even watch it
>complaining about normies appropriating """gamer culture""""

Yeah ok

>it is less D&D than a story they all contribute to
But user, isn't that what D&D is?

Nah not exactly. It's more like that through a filter of rules and an insane clusterfuck fantasy setting.

his wording was maybe unclear but I suspect he meant "the APPEAL is less watching people play D&D than it is watching a story they all contribute to"
ie. you could get a bunch of voice actors together to play make believe with no TTRPG system and people would still watch it

>watching people pretend to play D&D
How does one pretend to play a game of pretend?

tell that to travis bitch

fuck this is the maddest nigger I've ever seen Veeky Forums calm down lol

Psh that's a lie
Vax is obviously saving himself for Gilmore

Have you ever watched The Gamers?

Eh, he might legit be one with how excited he gets when percy and vex get it on.

That's probably because he gets to fuck that when they go home.
Reminder that Lustang role play is probably a thing.

Every time she uses her flirty voice on percy she knows she's going to get plowed in to oblivion by Travis at home

bitch i am calm stfu

like i said say that to his face you fuckin faggot ass cunt

word. i'm smash the shit outta her but that bitch needs to get over herself cuz as hot as she is on the outside she's a fuckin cunt as a person

Idk she seems like a pretty good person, but her character can be really cunty sometimes

Laura? She seems nice enough

We haven't spoken in a while.

I really cannot stand Matt Mercer's DMing style. Making half the NPCs gay, cateirng to nat20 bullshit, and trying to make D&D more accessible to normies and roasties so they will start expecting his voice acting and "improv skill" when in reality it's all scripted. But even if it wasn't, I still cannot stand how he runs games. But then again, I am one of the best Dungeon Masters on this planet. Or, should I say, Game Masters, because I've run a variety of systems and I run them to perfection. I strike the perfect balance of sandbox and railroad, of combat and roleplay, of rule-of-cool and rules-lawyer. I am pretty much the best GM out there, and I am currently running 6 (yeah, six) different campaigns. At the same time. I play 3 times a week and I also bake homemade snacks for players in the games which I host at my home. There is an eight month waiting list to get into one of my games. Furries, bronies, and anyone who's not okay with playing a race from the Player's Handbook (assuming we are playing D&D/PF) are not welcome. I've run campaigns that lasted 10 years. Two of my campaigns have run for over 5 years as players came and went. I would estimate I have over 5,000 hours of GM experience. So I am halfway to mastering the craft. And that's not including the hours of prepwork, which are only about 2,000 hours in all likelihood. So yeah, I've done this more than most people do their jobs. I have literally been offered money, unsolicited, to run a game. I don't sell my services, though; I'm not a cheap whore like those worthless fucks on Roll20 who create autistic campaign settings full of Mary Sues. I don't do that shit. There might be an NPC party member on rare occasions, or an NPC that travels with and fights with the party, but I don't do DMPCs, I don't railroad, I don't force the players to do all the work, I weave multiple plot threads together almost effortlessly with minimal planning.

>I am one of the best Dungeon Masters on this planet
>I am pretty much the best GM out there

> I am halfway to mastering the craft

9/10

If you're going to respond to shitty bait, at least give him shit about how he allegedly spends more time running the game than preparing it.

This is a significant downgrade from yesterdays thread, and that one had an autist try to prove that Taryon's father was a Trump proxy.

If we're gonna talk about Critical Role, let's discuss why the Chroma Conclave Arc ended up like Mass Effect 3, a massively global setting shock with mass casualties in the beginning but petered out to a relatively unchallenging finale.

I actually like Taliesin, too. Percy's got an edgy backstory, sure, but at least it's done well, and the character is fun. Travis and Sam are out and away the best, though, and Marisha should be fired into the Sun.

>and that one had an autist try to prove that Taryon's father was a Trump proxy
Well, he was.

>why the Chroma Conclave Arc ended up like Mass Effect 3
I can tell you why. Because Matt didn't want his players characters to die, so he made an encounter that they had such an easy time with one of them thought they could go straight into another boss battle immediately afterwards.

Taliesin tries too hard to be cool but educated though, ya know?
>life needs things to live
Is a perfect example of this, sure its funny and he can laugh at it and admit it was a dumb thing to say, but half his RP is just shit like that

I listen to it at work. Does wonders to kill the monotony, Travis and Sam are always good for a sincere laugh and at least the cringe from the ladies (except Ashley, she's tolerable) is distracting and occasionally funny.

>Ashley, she's tolerable
Except for her Signal Boost episode, holy shit.

Wait...she did what now?

That's true - he's at his best when he doesn't take himself seriously in-character. All things considered, though, Percy is way better than Vax, IMHO. Vax is edgy for the sake of edge, Percy is edgy as a backstory but fairly decent as a character. I know I've certainly seen worse.

I'm a fair bit behind on the show - I'm almost to the end of the Chroma Conclave arc, and I'm kind of dreading the end of it from what I've heard. Not sure what the signal boost is - what should I prepare myself for?

Her signal boost episode is put in one of the mid-stream breaks of one of the newer episodes. You can skip it, thank god.

it's not scripted at all you dumb fuck

oh is that why raishan pretty much owned all their asses several times over at the end there?

Before the show was streamed they fought the Dread Emperor, a guy with children tied to his armour. She used grasping vine to try and pull one of the kids off the armour... they were attached to the armour by the neck...the kids next snapped

Yeah Vax is full on mid 90s comic book angst, it's so boring