I'm building a utopia for a sci-fi game

I'm building a utopia for a sci-fi game.

>What is the perfect culture like?

Pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/The_Fun_Theory_Sequence
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink
youtu.be/FTJUrckUwfw
imgur.com/gallery/jJaFZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can we just storytime the Bus instead of having this shitty thread

It would be like Star Trek, only they've solved all the potential plot hooks. Basically it would be really fucking boring.

Not quite perfect but The Culture comes to mind.

Everyone commits suicide.

wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/The_Fun_Theory_Sequence

You could give this a read. There's been much consideration on why utopia is not fun or worth seeking out.

Oh yea magic is a thing, and they all have it, and they all have to disappear somehow.

Basically I'm making precursors

This, definitely. Nothing else comes close.

Something something post scarcity something.

It does kind of remind me of an idea I had for a story involving a "post-scarcity" dystopia.

First, you need to eliminate sources of unhappiness. There's two ways you can play that. Either they have removed illness and death, or they're just not bothered by it.

Second, you've got to have something to stop everything from falling apart, or no internal threats. Something for the people to do so they don't start overthrowing the system. Either manual labour, decadence, or higher pursuits. Obviously manual labour isn't going to go away for a long time, unlike higher pursuits or decadence which will go pear-shaped fast.

Third, you need a lack of external threats. Either they are isolated, or have the equivalent of really huge fuckoff guns.

So, your two choices are fishing village where no-one is really bothered because everyone enjoys fishing and a chronic plague has left everyone unable to feel pain, or decadent overgrown empire that uses magic to solve all its problems, and where troublemakers are magicked to not do that sort of thing any more, presumably by locking them in a room with a guy who's REALLY REALLY good at persuading people not to be bad, by talking to them. And they have really cool weapons.

There are a lot more sources of unhappiness than illness and death.

>What is the perfect culture like?
Lifeless.

Basically what I have so far, is the titans(the precursors) are large giants.

They are all very strong and smart, as well as able to shake off wounds that would kill an ork.

They are born with magical power becoming of an arch mage, and only get better from there.

Basically no other races where around when they formed so they spread quickly.

I need a culture that keeps them from breaking apart into warring nations

You're right. The full list is as follows:

Death, violence, starvation, cold, privation, uncertainty of the future of having those things, entertainment.

After that, you get into more esoteric stuff like wanting material wealth, wanting adulation, wanting love, wanting power over other people, and wanting what the other guy has.

Post scarcity will provide for most of that stuff except for entertainment and wanting power over people, adulation, love and covetousness. A spell that makes the perfect mate will provide a fair bit of love, and a slave race will settle most folks for power over other people. Can't really do much for covetousness unless you have a quick and easy way to have easy transfers of wealth. Maybe they play very luck-based children's card games to exchange fortunes? Perhaps on motorbikes at high speed.

In 4x a utopia is generally there thanks to other less enlightened societies that take the pain to defend it because of trade or other diplomatic reasons.

Build it however you like, everyone is happy and stuff like that, but make it clear that they have potential issues on a larger scale that just happen to get covered by others.

Remove unhappiness by removing scarcity but by removing scarcity you need infinite space as well.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink
youtu.be/FTJUrckUwfw

You see that's not an issue, because they are very powerful individuals with low birth rates

>Basically I'm making precursors
Everything precursors do falls apart.

One might say that the purpose of Utopian societies is so that non Utopian societies can have something to strive for, and then once they get them, things can fall apart again

>slave races
>artificial love
This is starting to seem less like a utopia and more like a BNW-style dystopia.

I bet they have high birth rates, but openly euthanize the less successful children.

Nothing's stopping you user, start posting it.

full of swordfighting and homosexual intercourse

Why not a utopia where humans use other humans as genetically modified to be bio machines?

But star trek is full of space magic to learn and evil alien gods to usurp and opportunities to trade with crazy alien cultures and multitude of militant empires to fight or defect too.

There is always a stable home to return too with basic necessities provided. When that gets boring there a crazy number of means for perusing all sorts of ambitions if you're will to take the risk.
It's only boring if you spend your whole life on earth doing nothing, being a NEET with a replicator.

A perfect society needs perfect citizens. The reason that not every society is perfect like theirs is because the social structures that work for them just don't work for other species.

Welcome to what BNW was all about.

>Dystopia
Literally everyone but the person they forced into the new lifestyle was happy. Even the people who did disagree with society just got put at some other place where everyone shared their views.

The Culture, as depicted in Iain M. Banks's novels. Nigh omnipotent, nigh omniscient space federation that exerts absolutely no coercion on its citizens, actually has AI and biological lifeforms living in realistically plausible symbiosis and has all sorts of cool, original subcultures and themes to explore. Also the sentient warships have the best names.

Just call the slave races golems and the artificial lovers muses or something.

No-one cares much about golems. They don't feel pain, and only feel happiness in their subservience. If they decide not to serve and wander off, who cares? There are more to serve.

Muses will love you and only you because that's how they are made. They are your dreams of what you always wanted, except when you want another person, in which case they'll see if they can hook the two of you up.

That's incredibly fucked up if you consider that such golems could achieve sentience

Depends. If it's on an individual basis when they become sentient, they aren't a hivemind, and there's nothing stopping them from leaving, what's the issue?

It'd be like a world with dogs as pets, except occasionally a long lived dog would become smart and start talking. Then you just let it go and it leaves, and you get a new dog.

Anyone still up for a storytime?

Yes

Okily Dokily

What's the best filetype for comics anyway?

Generally .png, since it conserves image quality.

Strange, I have all these saved as Png but they're converted to jpg when I post them

Here's a better one.

Are you seriously going to start a competing storytime

But of course!

>tfw trying to find a physical copy for years and it's actually impossible

Some blessed soul in /osrg/ dumped a .cbz two weeks ago.

/

Thank you for your service

I've formulated the perfect society, in that the best society-as-organism that cannot be bested by any other and is key to preserving biological life in a science fiction setting, though it isn't a utopia.

Is that close enough?

Still better then going to Hoboken

The Culture by Ian Banks

Is there any more like this? I've never seen so many of that comic in the same thread

Since somebody derailed the storytime I'm just going to link you to the Imgur Album.

imgur.com/gallery/jJaFZ

"Utopia" is a nonsense concept. As we have seen throughout history, the point at which a society begins to decline is always when it overcomes all of its immediate challenges and begins a slide into decadence. When all needs are met, and all wants fulfilled, and all dangers suppressed, a society inevitably begins to decay as the bonds that held it together disintegrate and the population begins to atomize and seek personal fulfillment through hedonism and excess instead of struggling against existential threats.

This process further accelerates the collapse of what allowed society to function, and gradually the disease spreads to the political apparatus via the masses' desire to be entertained or to pursue petty wedge issues due to the lack of meaningful crises to resolve. Instead of discussing the dangers of Carthage or the Gauls, Romans quibble over chariot races and the colors of their robes. Gradually the society turns violent as young people, disgusted by the lack of adventure, make adventure out of destroying society. Mysticism, cults, drugs, sexual deviance, and eventually self mutilation and other sick behaviors are all normalized and become simply another part of living in society.

Eventually, it collapses. Peripheral elements rise up and smash the centers of "culture" and society resets, reverting to an older value system with some of the trappings of the decadent society's more noble moments layered on top of it.

The only "Utopia" that would last would be one that completely flies in the face of every modern concept of Utopia. It would have to be based on stoicism, spartan self-denial, and rigid societal mores. It would have to be warlike, creating problems for itself to solve or simply battering itself against something that can never truly be defeated. It would have to be cohesive, hierarchal, and probably in a word fascist.