Low fantasy people discover not!new world

>Low fantasy people discover not!new world
>Not!new world is full of (dark) magic, monsters, demons etc.
>This is the first time the low fantasy people encounter magic and supernatural things. So no experience with it at all.
>Low fantasy people are early modern not!france/england, spain and dutch.

Why would they try to colonize this continent? I just came across this problem.

Do you know the difference between "low" and "no"?

This is how you get witchers, user.

>Why would they try to colonize this continent? I just came across this problem.

It contains resources they want. Gold would be appropriate considering El Dorado and all that.. Or, you know, magical stuff.

>Why would they try to colonize this continent?

You mean apart from the agrarian economies making arable land the primary source of, and form of, wealth, as well as supporting larger populations (and populations can grow extremely fats when they have empty land to colonize, or land they can empty at elast) meaning more taxes and larger armies to conquer their enemies with?

Gold mines maybe.

A better question perhaps is why magic hasn't taken over the world yet.

If you deconstruct most magic systems, it basically washes out to being extremely technologically advanced- and when there's a technological disparity you end up being the dominant global power.

Magic is only as interesting as its limitations, so have those set out very clearly from the start.

The thrill of exploration and conquest and the freedom of an untamed land. Most places the settlers went in the USA were total shitholes made of wilderness and swamp but they kept coming.

This sounds a bit like Risen OP

the three Gs I was taught in history class were Gold God and Glory.

>GOLD
resource wealth, does the continent have any?
OF COURSE IT DOES. if only in the pelts of exotic hard-to-kill beasts. is there land? CASH CROPS.

>GOD
spread the loving word of your savior [insert name here] in exchange for funding from the church

>GLORY
"I was the first person to climb this mountain, and the first to sodomize a local here too" -engraving on a boulder on a mountain top.
there is prestige given to an explorer, people crave tales of the unknown.

Refugees fleeing from war or religious oppression?

Risen was such a disappointment

because there's gold/magic/god/tits in them hills, friend. never underestimate people's greed or quest for power.

Ancient records and manuscripts talking about magic a magical creatures that were once present in the old world. The new world has the magic talked about, and the leaders of the old world want to know how to get the magic back, so there colonizing the place Looking for anything that could help them use magic again.

free bitches

>a kingdom with no magic is gonna colonize a magical kingdom
lmaoing at your setting, OP

Sounds a bit like the setting I'm running a game in.

It's got to have resources or it's not worth the attempt. Gold is a good standby, but maybe it's got something else worth the effort.

Are you kidding? There's fucking magic there. They want to use it.

You forget the part where it was FREE LAND to anyone who settled it.

>It pains us to know that we did not succeed in purging the world of witchcraft most foul, and yet it pleases us even more to know that The Divine has seen fit to lead us to these pitiful damned souls waiting to be saved.
>Ye holy nations know this: gold is nothing compared to salvation in the eyes of The Divine. Any gold you find in service of this grand crusade of salvation is a gift from the most high in exchange for those souls.

You know, "low fantasy" doesn't mean there's no magic or supernatural things, right?

Use of magical resources, luxury products, maybe there's some kind of fountain of youth or near equivalent. You might also consider there being some story reason why scary demons can't follow them back home.

They've got oil that needs liberating.

magical metal found only here and the magical monsters can be harvested for their parts.wings,horns,skin,fangs,scales,bones. I'm sure atleast 50% of the scale would have a magical property of somekind.

Same reason everyone colonized new lands without magic? Because they were in a political deadlock but still desperate to grow wealthier and more powerful than their rivals, and importing wealth was a surprisingly easy way to do so once they had the naval tech to get them back and forth reliably?

Because FUCKING MAGIC HOLY SHIT.