Board Game General /bgg/ - Moderate statements edition

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Enough of the poo flinging, what middle of the road opinions do you have on games? Is there one out there that you groan when it hits the table but appreciate that it's still a good design? A game loaded with plastic when all you want it blocks but hey those minis look nice? Theme is overdone/pasted on/paper thin, but the execution is so nice you don't care? Can STEEV ever find the co-op that gives a good challenging puzzle while allowing his friends to stab each other at the table?

Dominion is my answer for this just like last thread. I personally hate to play it and will turn it down, but I respect it mechanically for making deck building and being solid if you're ok with mostly solitaire.
Hopefully that doesn't bring the literal autist from last thread back.

I can appreciate Euros being well-designed in general, but they're also generally completely lacking in tension and I don't care too much about games that revolve around optimisation engines

Mine's Ticket to Ride. I can play it if I have to and I admit that it's a solid game but I still hate it

Tips for Eldritch Horror? 2-4 player Azathoth scenario, since we want to get that down before we move onto the harder stuff.

We've got most of the basic stuff down, but the Mystery that needs you to close specific monster gates when they align with specific omens keeps fucking us over. It's easy enough to solve research encounters or get someone to Tunguska, but even if you get someone with a clue on top of a portal corresponding with the current omen and clear all the monsters on top of it, there's no garuntee that you'll actually succeed the encounter to close it. And if that fails, you're either scrambling to get to another portal when the omen tracker ticks the next round or you're waiting for the omen tracker to tick back around and getting fucked by eldritch deck events.

Which is the best: Chess, Shogi, or Xiang Qi?

>Suck ass at Chess
>Suck more ass at Shogi
>Never heard of Xiang Qi but I'm sure I suck the most ass at it

Xiang Qi is Chinese chess.

For me, it is currently Risk and look-alikes. I don't really want to have chuggy dicewars about areas which give you a good lead. I find the constant tug-o-war annoying when it boils down to whoever gets the best dice. But I still play witz my group whenever they have a round of Risk or Axis n Allies. Guess I'm not a huge fan of terretory control overall and more of a deckbuilder & euro-type. But I like to be proven wrong, so hit me up with some suggestions for terretory control games.

Xiang Qi or Wei qi

Chess is too simple, and doesn't represent a strategic battlespace as well as Wei qi does

It's $15 on Amazon down from $50 and it seems to be a pretty good game, may be worth looking at.

Sons of Anarchy board game, I mean.

The hype is fucking real!

It definitely is, and funny enough I've never seen it listed over $15-20 since the Gencon when GF9 released it. I think it landed with so little attention they're still just trying to unload the initial printing

I got a box /bgg/. Wanna see what's inside?

Dominion's high on my list. So's Catan -- I appreciate a game that suckers normies, design is simple and elegant, but I fucking loathe a game where I can lose in 20 minutes and play for 2 1/2 hours.

Show and tell time user

It's travelled a long way to get here...

How long we talking?

All the way from Poland.

Really excited for this one. I love Robinson Crusoe, and this looks like more and better.

Is it Munchkin?

>Box says First Martians
>Asks if it's Munchkin
Come on man...

'First Munchkin' the game of how a bunch of min-max'ing tools ruined Mars...

Oh I thought the box says First Munchkins.

Far enough, happens to the best of us :)

Is it Terraforming Mars?

Is it Martian Fluxx?

No, it's Mars Attacks.

Is it My Favorite Martian?

I actually enjoy pulling this game out when I need an easy night of gaming

The minis game or the dice game?

I'm really hesitant when it comes to cheap board games on Amazon. I've been burned twice now with knockoff garbage.

Its seller has a 99% approval from 1641 ratings in the past year, and it's fulfilled by Amazon.
Not trying to shill.

Gloomhaven is currently $140 on Amazon... Should I buy or wait until its cheaper? Is it out of print?

Hype monster, just wait til the next print run

I know I say it almost every thread, but Kemet and Rex.

that's a preorder, if you notice it says it will be released in August. But according to the designer that's an unrealistic estimate on Amazon's part.

there won't be any new stock until the fall.

I care very little for the subject matter and the publisher but I have to admit this game has a lot going for it and my session with it was a pleasant surprise. Definitely worth 15

Dice game. I'm too far down the x wing hole to play another minis game

> also generally completely lacking in tension
They're not. You just don't know what you're doing and so you need an ""edgy"" theme to hold your hand and give you prompts for emotional reactions.

Chess. It had more iterations of rules and balance fixes.

>and doesn't represent a strategic battlespace as well as Wei qi does
Go is just 2D tic-tac-toe. An amazing game in its emergent complexity from simple rules, but nothing interesting strategically.

I had no idea that train games (I'm not talking about placing rectangular blocks along predetermined routes) and economic games are '''edgy''', you certainly got me there friend!

though I guess you could argue that the theme of An Infamous Traffic and Imperial are '''edgy''', to which point I can't disagree with you there

At this point X-wing is a dice game, not a minis game.

I'm trying to say that 'tension' is something that comes from playing with the right group, not something that comes from game theme or game mechanics. (If you don't understand this then you're officially autism spectrum.)

I completely agree with you that the right group can make a game tense, but without the mechanics to support it then it becomes a very obvious decision making process that isn't mentally stimulating or worth repeated plays as it doesn't allow for any discernible growth in player skill. you can artificially increase the replay value of the game (like card drafting in Notre Dame or the building tiles in Stone Age) but the same patterns will consistently emerge like the time-proven cop-out of maintaining some upkeep value that never changes between games, and it just ends up being a racing game or optimising game that is adorned with art that came out of a children's book

I sure as hell wouldn't not want to waste money on games that are that painfully shallow like I already have with 7 Wonders, but that shallowness does have one good use in that they're ideal for playing with random people at public board game nights while enjoying equally shallow conversations, rather than talking about something more interesting like game design

A cat keeps coming into my house and knocks my boardgames off the table.

Is it trying to tell me what I think it's trying to tell me?

Fuck figures. Give me CUBES.

CUUUUUUUBES.

I've used this example before and imma use it again, even though you all will chimp out and call me names again: nobody claims that track and field doesn't have 'tension' despite the fact that Usain Bolt isn't allowed to kick the runner-up in the nuts.

Even in a pure racing game, neurotypicals will automatically form complex psychological metagames without any prompting from game mechanics. Now if you sit autists before a racing game, you're liable to get four dudes who stare at their tableau in silence for an hour. This isn't the fault of the game, it's a problem with autists who can't into naturally emergent human interaction. If you're playing with autists you'll need heavy-handed prompting to force them to interact.

As for your ""idea"" that optimization engines don't have replayability -- sorry bub, you're pants-on-head retarded. Optimization games are specifically designed for infinite replayability and high skill ceilings. (But again, you have to be able to into metagames to unlock this. If you're autism spectrum then you should stick to games with pictures of zombies punching Cthullhu in the nuts or whatever, even if they're as shallow as monopoly strategy-wise.)

metagaming can only be as strong as the game allows it to be, which with engine builders is hilariously low as the decision making is generally binary at best with little impact on other players. even a gateway economic game like Chicago Express has a far greater skill ceiling than what Agricola will ever be capable of providing, as the butterfly effect is far more prevalent without any rubber banding present to compensate for making the worst decision out of several (including doing something over doing a null action in Chicago Express as a more specific example)

it's cute that you're escalating your name calling and ad hominem, are you sure you're not getting rattled by having such a poor argument to stand on? :^)

absolutely nothing wrong with cubes, they leave a lot to the imagination of the player which I will happily take over cards with artwork depicting specific events

out of print now too, ordered mine yesterday

>metagaming can only be as strong as the game allows it to be
No, only an autist would ever think this. Track and field is the sport with the strongest/most interesting metagame, despite being entirely solitaire and having the simplest rules.

> as the butterfly effect is far more prevalent without any rubber banding present to compensate for making the worst decision out of several
Also bullshit, again due to autism spectrum failures. You need to realize that the point scoring mechanism is irrelevant, what matters is having more points than your opponents.

Also, you really should play Agricola with someone who knows what he's doing, it will be very educational for you.

>Track and field is the sport with the strongest/most interesting metagame
How.
Like, honestly, how.

Do you really not know anybody's who's into track and field? There's a reason why Bolt is one of the most famous sports celebrities ever. There's also good reason why the biggest metagame scandals are in track and field. (That and bicycle racing.)

(It's true through that in recent decades it feels like the sport is 'solved' and it ultimately comes down to just genetics. We'll see if something changes this vibe in the future.)

>There's also good reason why the biggest metagame scandals are in track and field.
Wait, you just mean doping?

No, not just that. There's lots of interesting intersections between psychology, genetics and human biology in track. (E.g., almost everybody's heard of the Ethiopian dude who won the Olympic marathon running barefoot, or the way Jamaica dominates short-distance running for no apparent reason, etc.)

Anyways I don't even like track, it's just a characteristic example.

>literally who
>most famous sports celeb

Haha, no. Actual people give a shit about track and field once every four years, when the Olympics are on, if that. The rest of the time it's... take your pick based on country and inclination of Soccer/Football (Most of the world), Hockey (Canada), American Football (Burgers, of course), Basketball (other burgers), Baseball (Burgers, Japan, and some outlying territories), or Golf (wealthy and/or pretentious folk in places Britain has ruled at one time or another).

Of those, only Golf falls into your precious racing dynamic. The rest, sports that most of the world ("nerotypicals" as I believe you'd call them) dives into have both a metagame (often a labyrinthine and engaging one) and formats that can be best described as conflict-based: entities both act and react and actions don't always go unchallenged.

You seem to have mistaken autists who actually get into scientific study of Track and Field stats for normal people. It's an honest mistake, we all like to think we're the normal one because we are central to our own experiences, but the evidence doesn't bear that out.

Usain Bolt isn't Shaq but I wouldn't call him a literally who.

how does Sons of Anarchy compare to the new Godfather: Corleones Empire?

I said 'sports celebrities', not 'sports'. There are few globally famous sports celebrities from team sports. (Aside from some Latin American soccer players.)

That's because the metagame for team sports is usually boring and boils down to planning ahead and good teamwork. (I won't mention the football hooligan riot metagame, that's its own retarded thing.)

And like I said, I don't like track, it's just a characteristic example.

Your cohesion and face had momentarily looked like they'd recovered, there's the racing fag we all know and wish would leave these threads alone.

>we
There is no 'we' here, newfriend. Please go back to where you came from and don't come back.

>There is no 'we' here
You would play the thread solitaire, wouldn't you?

With how much each ship costs I count it as both

That your taste in games is shit? I'm teasing ;)

No, Veeky Forums is a deathmatch skirmish game, not a ""community"". I thought you liked conflict in your games, no?

Now you're getting it.

>C&C Ancients has much more interesting battles for me
>all those fucking blocks to put stickers on
Plastic wins sometimes, at least with Memoir I don't have an evening wasted trying to get the graphics centered on each unit

If you're tourney oriented and depending on your local meta it might even be a deduction/bluff game, since planning your maneuvers can matter more than anything else if you're flying against ordinance/arc-dodgers

Thoughts?

It went to shit right after it got invaded by ameritrash babbies. Coincidence? I think not!

The ICv2 survey info came out the other day, game stores are seeing less sales of evergreens and more titles that come through for one or two print runs sell huge numbers, then go away. If they want longer lived games on the BGG top list all they need to do is up the dummy ranking formula so you need more votes to get above 5.5-6.5

>implying BGG's userbase wasn't heavy wargaming grogs for years
The userbase is changing quite a bit since the website redesign though.

Scythe isn't terrible. It's easy to teach, looks nice, and manages to add just a dash of tension to what is otherwise a pretty average euro game.

Solid casual/gateway option.

futa = gay

Havent played any of these but I like vanilla Pandemic and both Scythe & Gloomhaven look interesting to me.

Caverna too, to a lesser extent.

I want to play Rebellion, Terra Mystica, and Scythe.

Most of these are stupidly overpriced and get lots of free points for that.

>implying the most overpriced isnt painted coasters the game (Skull)

He means 'overpriced' as in 'sunk cost fallacy', where you're not gonna rate a game a 6 if you've paid $250 for it even if it's mediocre.

>Track and field is the sport with the strongest/most interesting metagame
Fucking kek

I recently got to play a few rounds of Twilight Struggle and I really wish it didn't use dice to resolve coups. There is nothing more frustrating than loosing most of your footing in an area to an opponent who keeps rolling 5s and 6es, while you fail every single roll.

Is there something like a dungeon crawler board game?

>you all will chimp out and call me names again
All I said last thread was that I didn't like Dominion. You're the guy calling everyone names and chimping out on massive nonsensical rants every time someone disagrees with you over a matter of opinions.

Yo, there's more than two or three different people here.

You're late to the party, try again.

I recognize that exact same rant from last thread. I highly doubt there's more than one person here arguing that track and field is the most deep interactive meta game around.

I wasn't even replying to you but to the other autist who likes to fling poo. You're a nice and stable guy compared to him.

(I don't really like Dominion either, but not because it rustles lack of 'tism privilege, but because its stupid baseline strategy is way too strong.)

Of those I've played Twilight Struggle, Terra Mystica, 7 Wonders Duel, and Caverna. I've also played the older version of Through the Ages, but have no idea how the new one compares.

Of these, I'm usually down for TS and TM, and I'll usually try and steer the group away from Caverna or TtA (the older one) if possible. 7WD seemed like a pretty fun game though I only played it a few times, however I didn't exactly get a top-10 worthy feel of it. Then again, that's just my rather limited impression.

Autist pls go

Tension has a little to do with theme, but more to do with player interaction.

BUT THAT'S THE FUN PART

Yes, it has declared war on you. Cats and board gamers are natural enemies, it's only natural you'd eventually have to join this endless struggle.

We've done this before. You want to start again?

Player interaction doesn't need to be forced on you by the game rules. Most people don't need that kind of prompting. (Granted, if you're playing with creepy randos and/or 'tism spectrum peeps then a little firm guidance on how people should interact might be a good thing.)

>fun part
>not punching the cardboard
C'mon user, don't lie

>We've done this before. You want to start again?
Sure I missed it the first time.

The player interaction doesn't have to be forced, but without at least some player interaction games are just "I played with my lego blocks in a corner better than you did"

Yes. Descent is probably the best known/has the most stuff, but their are others.

>but without at least some player interaction games are just "I played with my lego blocks in a corner better than you did"
Absolutely not, only autism spectrum disorder people do this. Normies are more like "psst let's me and you team up and make the other guy lose".

Alright what did you assholes do? I wrote an email to GMT about perhaps trying to fund new print runs of games via Kickstarter and pic related was the response. Seriously, what did you do?

>Normies are more like "psst let's me and you team up and make the other guy lose".
If you can team up to make a player lose, than there is player interaction.

I dunno, I guess I never got into Snowdonia. I mean, I came second the last time I played it, but I don't know if I had fun. I picked up his Ivor the Engine game, but I love Ivor the Engine and it was about £12 on eBay
>most charismatic Olympian since Ali
>literally who
8/10, you got me to respond.
BGG's rating system is skewed towards the Cult of the New. Film at 11.