/GURPSGEN/

Get in here GURPS people!

Remember to check the pastebin.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!39VHzQ7Z!jb-vsp29DzcyOPQzY8fFMqpkYPR2h52y0S_e7MDvt8g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why does no one ever want to talk about the Chtorr? Is there a place I can go where I can find decent discussion about it? For a series with 4 books and a GURPS book with over 100 pages there seems to be little discussion about it even though the setting would mix well with a lot of other settings. (Fallout and Elder Scrolls are two I have in mind for it)

Posted by user last thread, but only 4 post to The End, so..

mega.nz/#!39VHzQ7Z!jb-vsp29DzcyOPQzY8fFMqpkYPR2h52y0S_e7MDvt8g

Pyramid power.

GURPSGEN focuses pretty well on the generic part, talking about a lot of different game times and making fun of that one guy that made a unicorn that couldn't beat someone 50 points and 6 TL lower then himself.

The SJG forums should be a decent place to talk it if you don't mind the slower pace.

What do you think about the CHtorr?
Could they mix well with a setting like the Elder Scrolls?

Conan game is going great, its been pretty lethal and the PCs have had some close scrapes. Tomorrow though they face an actual monster; a giant warthog! The local Pict tribe worship it and threw the party into it's death pit, I'm hoping for an epic fight!

What is your crew? Doing some iron-age Briton?

They were slaves on a Bosssonian silver mine, but escaped and joined a company of mercenaries heading for the frontier. A tribe had been kidnapping and eating merchants and someone paid them to put them down. The party tracked them, fought them a couple times, then got trapped and now they're fighting warthog god

I'm trying to build a template for lamia that's playable as a character, not just for monster slaying and what not. The idea is for a fantasy world with certain breeds of non-evil monster girls where it would make sense (lamias, centaurs, harpies, succubi, etc.), and the king/emperor or whatever has just started allowing them to be treated as normal citizens, though a lot of commoners still see them as monsters. For the lamia I'll be following the dimensions for Miia (pic related), making them about 8-9 yards long, which makes the standard SM+4, if I read the rule right.
ADVANTAGES
Constriction Attack, Damage Resistance 2 (book suggested 2 for reptilian scales, maybe I should reduce it since there's a human half?), Enhanced Move (Ground) (1/2), Silence 1, Striker (crushing) (Large Tail) (Clumsy; Long), Teeth (Fangs), Vibration Sense

DISADVANTAGES
Cold Blooded 1 (stiffen below 50)
No Legs (Slithers)
Social Stigma (Monster)
Stress Atavism (Moderate)

I might add some other stuff like +1 DX and ST, or some optional things like a toxic attack for venomous variants, but that's pretty much it. I think it's not too heavy on the points for a PC, clocking around 26. I'll admit I'm not very seasoned with the system, so what do you guys think?

GIven the snek half is very slender I'd peg a lamia at SM +0 and note that the tail hit location is large for her size. This is because the human half is proportioned like a human, and SM + assumes proportions.. at SM +4 a Lamia would be assumed to have jaws large enough to swallow a human whole.

>100 point character
>leave all stats at base
>set aside 20 points for peripheral skills
>put 80 points into Rifles
>now have DX+21 in Rifles since skill cost doesn't escalate
>can take a couple minor disadvantages to have DX+25 if I feel like it
>now I have a 35 in Rifles skill
>WITHOUT aiming I can headshot a running target at 200 yards and still be rolling against 17
>with aiming I can do it even further out, or in darkness

Explain why this game ISN'T broken.

I did that because Basic told me that SM is determined by the longest dimension of the creature.

Did you ask what TL the game is? Might not be any rifles.

That assumes human-proportioned, more or less. Things that are very blocky have more SM then that would suggest. A long, skinny snek gets a lower SM then that would suggest, especially if it's a girl's torso on a long tail.

Making her tail a Long Striker goes a long way to cover that her snek tail is easier to hit and longer then you'd think, this also avoids everyone getting +4 to hit her tender human bits that are no bigger then a normal person's.

Oh, it's a copy-pasta shitpost. You don't need to reply unless you want to, he isn't asking a serious question.

I'm looking to be a skinwalker. Is there somewhere I can find a bunch of animal racial templates?

tell me about the chtorr user.

Are Pyramids 103 and 104 in the archive? I seem to be missing them.

>80gun man
>In a setting with no guns
>Except his gun
TIME FOR ADVENTURE.

Dungeon Fantasy: Allies has a number, and they're set at higher-than-standard IQ values too.

Is it a good idea to let players get to make their own races up, with GM approval?

I'm thinking of a variety of animal people races, and I'd make a few, and if a player wanted to be a type of animal not listed they could tell me what they want the race to have and work to make a racial template for it.

its a series about giant caterpillars, and they come to earth and cause a bunch of plagues that destroys most of the earth population. After that, the caterpillars start wrecking everything and their native ecology sets up shop on Earth and starts terraforming everything, replacing Earth's native ecology with its own.

It's hinted that the chtorr are in a hivemind, but in a hivemind that goes on a hive-by-hive basis, and they develop individual "cultures" that are represented through a nest song, these cultures tend to despise each other more than they dislike the native Earth ecology and can not tolerate each other whatsoever.

over time, the agent that all chtorrans have ( a type of living hair that gives the user extra senses) adapts to terra life, and it starts changing Earth lifeforms to its own needs, including humans that become sheep for the hivemind.

while all of this is going on, earth is not united at all and has to respond to the alien threat and each other, there are nations like Brazil which are actually letting the alien ecology fester in their own country because the resources it gives temporally gives the country immense wealth in the short of things in brazil

Again?
The GM is not obliged to accept your character if it doesn't fit with the campaign, technically legal or not.

Now try to make a fresh pasta please, this one is starting to smell rotten.

Gun as a superpower, I like it. I'd play that.

Is there any way a martial artist can compete with civil war era soldiers? I've got 200 points to make some kind of ultra jackie chan.

Alright nerds, what happens when you have Clinging and buy up Super Climbing past your normal move? The obvious idea seems to be you can scurry along walls faster than you can run on ground; but could you get down and "climb" horizontally across the ground too? What if you added Attraction to your clinging; then you should be able to run properly along a wall, but could you call yourself clinging to the ground and run faster just because? I understand it's not cost effective compared to just raising move on its own, but this seemed like a silly case.

Boost your dex and dodgepool, maybe go for stealth and be a bit more ninja.

Yeah, sure, but you'd have to be doing it on all fours which limits your offensive options unless you have extra strikers or an innate ranged attack.

You should already be checking your players' sheets like a hawk, so I don't see an issue. It takes some stuff off your plate at least. Do you feel that your players are competent enough in terms of mechanics to make balanced, interesting races?

What are the spells required to make a friendly neighborhood spellcaster?

I'm going to be playing as a creature disguised as a clergy man.

Should I just buy a bunch of fat, or is their a better way for getting spellcasting energy

Basically the entirety of the College of Food, plus a touch of Weather, Healing, and the more beneficial Body spells.

If your GM allows it, Energy Reserve (ER) is a good investment. ER is basically FP except that a) it can only be used to power spells and abilities, b) it isn't drained from hunger or exhaustion, c) nothing bad happens to you at 0 ER, and d) you gain 1 ER every 10 minutes, no rest required (though resting lets you recover spent ER and FP simultaneously). It costs the same as FP at [3/level].

Dungeon Fantasy assumes heavy use of power items, and Magic includes powerstones. Check if your GM is using those too.

>Should I just buy a bunch of fat, or is their a better way for getting spellcasting energy
I, uhm... I'm going to assume you mean fatigue points. Energy Reserve can be cheaper if you limit it, but it's still 3/level normally.

Friendly neighborhood caster spells, off the top of my head:
>Anything that heals/cures/purifies
>Accelerating crop growth/ensuring bountiful harvests
>Hygienic spells
>Building and fixing things
>Controlling animals

You need Double-Jointed in addition to Constriction Attack to grapple people without using your arms.

Damage Resistance should have Partial, Torso and Tail, -10%, and possibly Tough Skin or Flexible.

Consider adding a racial quirk like "hisses when angry" if you want the template cost to be a round number.

Other than that, it looks good.

So I'm reading through Basic Set and I have a question about TLs in fantasy worlds. From what I read so far it seems that the TLs proposed in the book are based on Earth's technology.

Suppose I'm running a world that's generally TL1, with certain fantasy elements. Suppose, additionally there is a community or society that focuses a lot on medicine and anything to do with healthcare. Finally, this being a fantasy world, with the help of magic and locally available (magic) plants and animals they can do things like anesthesia, disinfectants, antibiotics, maybe primitive medical imaging, etc. While all this is done through magical means, the healers themselves in this community can't directly do magic, so no healing spells or anything like that. Maybe they've even been given advice from their local god. Suppose all their accumulated knowledge and equipment makes their doctors about as effective as a 1930s doctor from Earth (late TL6, early TL7), in an otherwise TL1 world.

My question is, would a character from this society have his medic skills (Physician, First Aid, etc.) at TL6 (with all the associated extra costs) or at the character's TL1 with a note that any First Aid or Physician rolls should be as if they were TL6? In general, what is the proper way in GURPS to handle things when a fantasy world makes it possible to do things at earlier TLs than they would on Earth?

I think it works as if it was TL6, since their medical TL is higher than other societies (presumably).

Unsolicited opinion: I just toss out tech level entirely because I find it to be too much of a hassle. Liberal use of familiarity penalties takes care of the "different tech" problem, as does just disallowing default rolls if the PC wouldn't reasonably have it with a technology.

Pic related is the most cost-effective way to survive being shot.

its a series about giant caterpillars, and they come to earth and cause a bunch of plagues that destroys most of the earth population. After that, the caterpillars start wrecking everything and their native ecology sets up shop on Earth and starts terraforming everything, replacing Earth's native ecology with its own.

It's hinted that the chtorr are in a hivemind, but in a hivemind that goes on a hive-by-hive basis, and they develop individual "cultures" that are represented through a nest song, these cultures tend to despise each other more than they dislike the native Earth ecology and can not tolerate each other whatsoever.

over time, the agent that all chtorrans have ( a type of living hair that gives the user extra senses) adapts to terra life, and it starts changing Earth lifeforms to its own needs, including humans that become sheep for the hivemind.

while all of this is going on, earth is not united at all and has to respond to the alien threat and each other, there are nations like Brazil which are actually letting the alien ecology fester in their own country because the resources it gives temporally gives the country immense wealth in the short of things in brazil

Split TLs are 100% kosher; societies may be advanced in certain areas while still primitive in others (heck, even though TLs are "Earth-based," basically every specific society had a split TL at one point or another).

As for what TL it should be labeled as, I tend to ignore them. Unless time travel is a thing in your setting or a lot of focus is on encountering different cultures with their own TLs, drop them. Characters don't have First Aid/TL6--they simply have First Aid and successful attempts to treat shock heal 1d or whatever you as the GM feel is appropriate.

I suppose I could drop TLs altogether, yeah.

The reason I picked medicine as an example, though, is because medical skill rolls are very dependent on TL and have very harsh penalties for lower TLs. Thus I figured that in this case it might be appropriate to make characters that have medical skills at higher TL than the rest of the world to pay more in points, but I'm not sure GURPS has a mechanism for that aside from the High TL advantage (which is for the character and not a particular skill). I suppose for this particular example I could make them buy some form of Status or something as a requirement to acquiring high TL medical skills.

Constriction attack already allows to grapple "with your body", you don't need arms for that.

Medical TL are a bit odd. If you are higher then TL 6 you are dropped down to TL 6 if you don't have access to high tech medical supplies.

How you'd balance it?

Mostly by capping skills at +5 above attributes. Helps ensure a better rounded character than mister 'lol 80pts in rifles' turret/human hybrid.

What in heck is a "GURPS"

I mean gun as a superpower in a medieval setting mostly.

Malfunctions.

If it's a superpower, you don't really -have- to balance it, just give the player a survival needler from Ultratech.

Or it becomes self-balancing as long as you ensure that ammo has a limited rate of replenishment.

How hard would it be to make bullets in both actual """middle""" ages with full plate aka "we already have guns" and how long in the actual middle ages?

Bullets? Pretty easy.

Actual cartridges for a modern firearm? Impossible.

How so?

Cartridges require a large industrial base to manufacture, you can't just make them by hand, the tolerances are too tight on every component and the chemistry isn't that easy either. Just getting mercury fulminate for primers is an ordeal that will result in deaths.

Impossible is hyperbole, but by the time you're done setting up the required machinery for making cartridges that feed, fire and extract reliably, you've moved the entire TL level of the world forward by a couple steps.

Late 19th century paper cartridges for single shot guns could be possible, I guess, with some effort.

Bullets are easy
Cartridges would be very difficult and time-consuming if not impossible
Primers would be a real sticking point.

Impact sensitive primary explosives are going to be a bitch and a half. Mercury fulminate is likely the easy one, but you could do lead azide too. Either takes pretty much the same stuff.

For that, you need mercury (relatively easy) and nitric acid. Aqua fortis in bulk means setting up on a natural gas source and getting a Haber process going. That's a good idea for a lot of reasons, acutely, but it's a whole goddamn industry on it's own. It just doesn't make sense to do this bathtub style.

After that, well, fuck it: Drawing brass for cases with tight tolerances and casting hard lead bullets isn't hard by comparison. A man with a decent machine shop could build the tools and dies to build bullets and set up a factory fast.

The real problem is that to make the ammonia to make the nitric acid to make the primer takes steel pipe. so the real first thing you are going to have to do is to teach these primitive screw-heads how to make a Bessemer converter to turn out the tons of steel you are going to need for the next part. You might as well delay the gasworks for a little while for a fast detour to primitive steam engines, you need the pumps for the coal mines. Three years of work, minimum, to get your new steel production going.

So now: Gasworks. Given a supply of steel and willing, clever men that you can train you could start limited production sixteen months or so, and could move on to the next project in two years. You CAN kitchen sink the lead azide/mercury fulminate production, and might as well: You want each workshop surrounded by a berm and make with thick brick walls and a very thin cheap roof.

Starting from the point you have people willing to do what you say and learn from you without needing lots of explanation, you might go from muskets to brass cartridge firearms in 5 years or so.

>Drawing brass for cases with tight tolerances and casting hard lead bullets isn't hard by comparison. A man with a decent machine shop could build the tools and dies to build bullets and set up a factory fast.
While I agree that making brass casings is easier than smokeless powder or primers, don't forget that the middle ages aren't going to have a decent machine shop. You're going to go through a couple of iterations of machine shops until you have one that can make the required tools and dies with the proper tolerances. Late 1800s still had trouble making brass that fed well.

You might even have to develop steam power to get your machine shop running, because hand filing can only get you so far.

You are damn right, my timetable sort of assumed Future Man somehow had his garage with him when the time portal hit but there's another 2 years of picking standardized measures and weights then building tools so you can build tools.

The good news is that you can likely put your machine shop adjacent to a water mill for power to run tools, same as your steel plant. so you don't need to get your steam engines running first.

Either way, you're going to need more free labor than middle ages farming can reliably support. You'll probably want to work on irrigation and fertilizers as well as introduce crop rotation in order to try to boost agricultural yields.

>not just getting priests
They do jackshit anyways.
Become the saint of war.

They fight devil every day and prey for your soul, you ungrateful sodomite.

Another point to consider is that Future Man isn't just making guns and cartridges in this scenario, he brought an actual gun from the future, and so now he needs not just "a cartridge" but a "5.45x39mm cartridge" (or whatever he brought), so first order of the day is figuring out millimeters.

They're scribes, we don't have time to teach them.

Also
>Forging metal
>Mixing sulfur
>Medieval priests

It's like you're trying to get burned at the stake or have every God-fearing noble muster up his troops to bumrush you at the Pope's behest.

Don't get the Church involved.

That was why I suggested the survival needler from Ultra-Tech.

>survival needler from Ultra-Tech
Doesn't that make its own ammo?

Yeah, you just have to give it an ingot of iron or something and it shaves its own needles.

>priest
>not also scientists of their age
>burning at the stake
That is why you go to Spain and give isabela a cunnilingus, if she aint aroud look for papa luna.

You don't get it. The Church was a political animal. If they get wind of your operation and the power it promises they'll take over, or some local duke or king will do so as proxy.

You keep this as secret as possible. That's why gun as a superpower is interesting. When you're one person with a gun it's great, when you start trying to supply the gun you run the risk of running out of bullets before you can set up your operation.

Technically they'd already have four field crop rotation if you are in the early modern period, or three field in earlier periods. But you could go full Jethro Tull and teach them about seed drills, steel blade plows and more advanced crop rotation, as well as selective breeding.

The good news is that the gasworks you are building to make your gun primers can just as well make really good fertilizer. It's an ammonia factory, after all. The steam engines, once you've got enough to keep the coke comeing, can be used to irrigate previously marginal land too.

Exactly. It's possible, but there are so many peripheral issues, not least of which is keeping things relatively secret until you can actually defend your manufactory compound.

Fortunately, once you're making cartridges, you've got the metalworking base to also make decent bolt-action rifles to outfit your militia.

Well, they'd think they were. I imagine if you didn't tell them they'd believe that this was a path they could ride to power and wealth and a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

In truth every hour you work is building their coffins. They aren't even going to get shot in a revolution, most of them, just get rendered utterly obsolete.

>Early modern period
>Burned

Fuck man, don't fall into the stereotype. You'd get murdered by a foundry owner when your project totally undercuts his prices and ruins him.

That is why you go be buddy buddy with a catolic monarch who is basically the church's bff or an antipope who loved him some science.

You WORK for the church, you don't give them "god aint real lol" but insfead weaponry to kill heretics en mass. Again, this implies late middle ages and knowing that some higher ups are either nerds or hellbent on wold domination eniugh to help you for some guns.

Foundries didn't exist in this time period, the only foundry owner would be the PC or group doing this.

Yeah, and now gun is no longer your superpower. Everyone has guns and your advantage is negated.

I think somewhere along this discussion it was forgotten that the goal wasn't to uplift medieval society as a whole. Though arming the Crusades with SKS and pushing on through Mecca has appeal.

Yes, but to do ANYTHING such as modern bullets from scrap you stop being 80guns man and become 80p in engineery and chemistry man.

For the concept of 80guns man in a world with magical powers and his is GUN the needler or a weapon that generates its own ammo or the ammo is hand waved away between sessions is really the only viable answer without going full isekai.

>realize this is predator in a magical world
Hey. It fits.

Those church bells come from foundries.. though I'd imagine a smelter owner WOULD be a more realistic danger, given their furnaces would produce steel that cost around 150 times as much as what a more modern smelter could do.

Really the problem is that if you want to make bullets you have to make several industries. Even reloading bullets with black powder and mercury fulminate primers would require you either accept tiny yields and tremendous cost or build a whole city worth of industry.

I guess going for a Yankee in King Aurther's court and not mentioning to the church or your king what industrialization does to the power of churches and monarchies.

Just take Gizmos "ammo only" or Snatcher "loaded glock 19 magazines only" Infinite Ammo is a Go.

>Gizmos
Does Gizmo allow one to violate laws of physics?

I always understood it as an advantage that lets you have an item that's reasonable to have that you need at that moment, as in, you just happened to put that thing in your pocket sometime earlier and forgot about it until now, instead of literally violating the laws of physics to make shit appear in your pocket.

If you are going to do superpowers you can bend the laws of reality a bit for story sake.

Yeah, that's what Snatcher is for.

My point is that I think that Gizmos is not the right advantage for this.

Technically Gizmos fits perfectly fine, fitting criteria 2. A loaded magazine is something GUNMAN would probably own and fits the character concept, and it's ignorable enough to leave unspecified. Gizmos is also a 'unrealistic' ability and explicitly isn't subject to some consequences. Gizmo matches are dry, even if you just went for a swim.

The real problem is that it's 3 times per session max. GUNMAN needs more ammo then that.

Use your ammo conservatively.

That's why you don't use gizmo. It's conceivable that you'd have several magazines. But with no way to resupply any reasonable GM is gonna stop allowing you to 'find' magazines and bullets in your pockets by the second or third session.

Snatcher works much better.

>something GUNMAN would probably own
Yeah, in a world where guns exist, Gizmos for ammo would probably get you infinite ammo (at 3 times per session), but in a medieval world where loaded magazines are specifically not a thing you could conceivably own, it's not really ignorable enough or reasonable enough to qualify for Gizmos.

I'm pretty sure you can't use Gizmos for stuff that doesn't exist in the world (oh yeah, I happen to have a fusion powered teleporter in my pocket), or for unreasonable items (oh yeah, I happen to have the key card to the bad guy's plot important safe in my pocket).

If you're using a more robust random hit location table (like the ones from MA, or Low-Tech), do you replace "groin" with "abdomen" for a roll of 11?

So Im trying to wrap my head around damage.
lets assume that a generic dragon has 40 HP and 10 DR. Now looking at the low-tech stats for a musket for damage I would roll 4d6+2. I then subtract the the DR from the rolled amount (average 16). I then double 6 because its a P++ attack, so my damage dealt is now 12. Does this mean that 4 musketeers can kill a dragon in one round?

To be absolutely sure that the dragon is dead, you would need to do 240 HP worth of damage (automatic death at -5xHP). The dragon is at risk of dying only after 80 HP worth of damage, and seeing how a dragon will have quite high HT, I can see it passing its rolls to stay conscious and alive without much trouble at least until it's at -3xHP. Also you must need to hit the dragon, which isn't trivial with a musket.

Finally, the stats given by GURPS for dragons and the like are quite low in power compared to the usual high fantasy games, since GURPS defaults to "heroic realism", but you're free to stat your dragons however you want for your game.

If the dragon fails its HT roll, yes. In order to reliably kill the dragon in one round they'd need to do 5xhp in damage. Gurps gives you HT checks at each multiple of hp to stay alive and/or conscious.

so lets dial it back and put a knight in platemail (DR 6, HP 14) at the business end of that same musket. 16 (average damage) - DR 6 = 10 (times 2 for P++)
That knight is more or less down and out, right?

Again, depends on his HT roll. You'd want to do 28 damage to have a solid chance of putting him down in one round. You've only managed twenty.

In any case, guns are nothing to fuck with

That is the intention, yes. Guns in GURPS are very deadly, in keeping with the whole "heroic realism" scheme it has going as the default.

If I allow GUNMAN I'm not going to judge how many times he's pulled a magazine out with Gizmos. I mean, the first time it makes perfect sense, he would defiantly have a spare in reserve. After that it's just degrees of how absurd it's gotten that he keeps having more ammo.

Note that by the time those muskets are around that knight would likely have more like DR 10 across the vitals and torso hit locations, making the PI++ damage less brutal. Men able to handle heavy muskets are also comparatively rare, most would have lighter guns then that.

To be fair, musket rests are a thing, and I've been led to believe they were the norm.

The musket listed in Low Tech has an ST rating of 12R, which means that it needs 12 ST to use effectively with a musket rest, IIRC.

Huh, I always treated R as M. My bad. What's the ST requirement for using it standing without a rest, then?

I always think about musket rest as it is just a fancy thing to have your musket count as braced, while shooting with unbraced musket is unhandy.

Makes sense. If most people are going to be firing a weapon at -1 or -2 due to not meeting the ST requirement, bracing's +1 Acc would be almost necessary.

100 centigurps

if you're using the abdomen location from low-tech, does that replace "groin" from the random hit table?

Looks like it. Check the table on p. LT100.

You have a couple options. First is to say the TL is 3+3 or whatever. That reflects real world tech up to TL 3, with fantasy cinematic magic whatever that produces societies and lifestyles like TL 6.

The second is mixed tech. Like biotech up to tl6 but metallurgy at tl4. Most setting books do it this way.

The whole idea of TL is to establish two things. First, as an organizing principle rather than a hard and fast rule to describe the setting to people unfamiliar with it. Second, to apply a game mechanic for how outsiders to the culture are penalized by it's foreignness. If you cover those two bases, the specifics of how you did it won't impact anything important. It's more a classification system than a law.

righton. thanks!

Anyone got a copy of Tactical Shooting for 4e?

The pastebin in the OP does.

Where's the pastebin? All I can find is the Mega and a pastebin of Magic.