Which is better, Fate or Gurps?

Which is better, Fate or Gurps?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!06Q2kY7I!r2JY-moVxFUGl90w6LDa2A
mega.nz/#F!Ym5RHIJL!Qk1NgisxONlZbCQdbNYBZg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends. They both go for different styles of game.

GURPS if you're too autistic, Fate if you're not autistic enough.

GURPS.

FATE is absolute power-wank trash where you can't even die unless you want to. You have to "consent" to your character being killed because Evil Hat are SJWs, who also fill their games with pro-fag bullshit that just makes everyone cringe. The system also has weird-ass combat rules despite trying to be abstract, and the special snowflake +/- dice sold for 6 bucks a set are kikery at its finest. Don't bother with FATE, it's hot trash. A game that could have been explained in 30 pages is fluffed up to 200 and put on sale even though it's hardly worth anything. The second edition was better, though honestly the entire game is fucking shit. The skill pyramid is the only good idea in it.

I guess I'll go with Gurps then.

They're so absurdly different in their goals and styles that it's kind of pointless to compare them. Sort of like asking "What's better, a steak or a paper on fluid dynamics?"

Is this the Fate equivalent of pic related?

Shit, wrong one.

Exactly. They're both semi-generic systems, and that's pretty much where the similarities begin and end. And even that they approach from opposite tracks.

Gurps is universal by trying to give you rules and mechanics for damn near everything and letting you pick and choose what ones you want to use, whereas Fate gives you a core framework and guidlines to work within, and lets you build your own mechanics to suit you.

Also, the answer is HERO. It's always HERO

MYTHRAS DOES IT BETTER.

They're different games for different styles. GURPs requires players to know more rules, FATE requires players to be more ready to improvise.

Savage Worlds or BRP are good alternatives if the flaws of both Fate and GURPS are too much for you.

But WHY is the answer HERO?

>put on sale
isn't it "pay what you want" and you can go for $0?
>can't even die unless you want to
That seems to be what everyone thinks "taken out" means, and players have to be fuckheads to get to the point where they don't concede BEFORE "taken out" status, so fair enough.
>Evil Hat are SJWs [...] pro-fag bullshit
Sure as shit doesn't come across in the rulebooks I've read
>weird ass combat rules
How is it weird, it's a "your attack roll is +4 and the enemy defense rolls is +3: they take 1 shift of damage"
>could have been explained in 30 pages is fluffed up to 200
Yeah there's a huge bloat in that book considering it's barebones, true enough

I feel like it's new meme or something. A couple weeks ago Hero General poped out, died after couple posts, then it was repeated several times without much success. About the same time I noticed hero being shilled in many "what system should I use for X" in the same way as gurps memers used to do, i.e. without explaining why it suits game the best and what books do you need. Needless to say, neither of those people played gurps or hero.

Hero is essentially GURPS done better. It's a point buy, toolkit style with a much richer selection of options and more emphasis on building your own powers, disadvantages, etc. Whereas GURPS is a smorgasbord , HERO is a well stocked pantry. It requires a little more work to use, but once you can it'll always suit your need. It can basically handle any and all power levels and genres

fate. anyone who says otherwise is a fucking gurps player

Anyone got a PDF?

Fate player
>I am a fluffy sissy
GURPS player
>I have evolved beyond your comprehension mortal, I require of nothing but jackson's ichor to survive

>Hero is essentially GURPS done better. It's a point buy, toolkit style with a much richer selection of options and more emphasis on building your own powers, disadvantages, etc. Whereas GURPS is a smorgasbord , HERO is a well stocked pantry. It requires a little more work to use, but once you can it'll always suit your need. It can basically handle any and all power levels and genres
Not OP, but I am skeptical of this assessment, however I keep an open mind and would welcome a comparison or something supporting this opinion.

Also:
>It requires a little more work to use
My biggest hiccup with GURPS is that it requires more work to get started, so are you saying it requires more work like GURPS or it requires more work *than* GURPS?

Shill me baby.

Here's your (You), pasta poster

>isn't it "pay what you want" and you can go for $0?

No, the SRD is completely free and their adventures are pay-what-you-want.

Got this from aforementioned HERO thread, but haven't checked the out yet cos I got no space left on my PC.
HERO 6E mega.nz/#F!06Q2kY7I!r2JY-moVxFUGl90w6LDa2A
HERO 5E mega.nz/#F!Ym5RHIJL!Qk1NgisxONlZbCQdbNYBZg

>requires more work *than* GURPS?
sounded like this to me

NO GURPS IS BEST

NO. MYTHRAS DOES IT BETTER.

Played both, preferred GURPS. But we didn't autistically stick to all rules at all times. Worked great, I find.

Angry Animal Defending Their Favorite System is my favorite meme.

Which edition is better?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHG

Fate is undoubtedly best of your main concern is creating a shared story and all your players are competent GMs in their own right.

They lend themselves to different styles of play. GURPS is more crunchy and does a much better job at running gritty, realistic games. Fate is more narrative focused, though much more focused on action than drama. It works well if you want to run a game with the feeling of a Hollywood blockbuster or a comic book.

>though much more focused on action than drama.
I struggle to think of a system that handles drama better than Fate purely because of aspects and compels.

And that is definitely the best animal to angrily defend Mythras.

Dramasystem.