I wrapped up my JoJo campaign two weeks ago. Anyone want a storytime?

I wrapped up my JoJo campaign two weeks ago. Anyone want a storytime?

M

Not if you're just going to say 'I did X'. Give us a reason to believe this story time is not only worthwhile and cap top off the others!

>cap top off the others

I don't understand.

S'called a typo, meant to say 'can top'. As in you gotta tell us the good stuff because we've had a few good Jojo-related storytime this last year.

Let's hear it OP. I need my JJBA fix

>asking permission
This isn't elementary school, you can just tell us about your game whenever you want.

Got it. So first, our cast.

Joshua Joestar, and his Stand『Fabrication』, made of living metal that can form tools and drones, and reflect energy.
Nole "The Malestrom" Nalestom and his Stand 『Super Beast』, power of making any inorganic object soft or stretchy. I also a consummate Wrestler.
Feel Fresh and his Stand 『Take On Me』, power of Hooks that mind control people. Token Evil teammate, proves surprisingly effective.
Captain Frank Black and his Stand 『Wave of Mutilation』, power of swarm of tiny stands that can control water and provide remote touch. Also has Hamon.

Young Joseph Joestar is the best Joestar

1/?
Session 1:
As our story begins, Nole Nalestrom is performing a Professional Wrestling event. Feel Fresh is in the crowd, with a contract to kill Nole Nalestrom after the show, with a large amount of money promised.

Feel Fresh ambushes Nole in the locker room by Mind Controlling his fellow wrestlers. Nole dispatches them easily and gives chase into the lobby. Feel Fresh tries several dirty tricks, including dragging small children into a deep fryer, but ultimately Nole wins out by putting huge amounts of weight on his hooks, dislocating his arm.

At that point, a cop shows up, only to shoot Feel Fresh! Nole saves him, and the cop reveals he is Officer Beasty Boy, part of an organization called The Titans, sent to kill Nole and Feel Fresh if the assassination failed. Nole flees, using SuperBeast's spring powers to speed away into the parking lot. But Beasty Boy is there waiting for him. Beasty Boy's stand『Brass Monkey』can teleport him if he gets hit by a fast moving object, like a bullet from his Gun. Feel Fresh and Nole work together to subdue Brass Monkey, and Nole survives a tremendous fall by softening the pavement, a feat he will repeat many times.

Searching Officer Beasty Boy, they discover Photographs of themselves with faint humanoid outlines behind them. They also find a photo of a man they don't recognized, labelled "Joshua Joestar". Feel Fresh momentarily placated, they agree to team up and follow their only clue, Joshua Joestar.

2/?
Session 2:
Feel Fresh does some Research, and manages to identify Joshua "Jay" Joestar as a successful comic book artist. They try calling Joestar Real Estate, and manage to get his Address in Colorado. However, their inquiry is reported to Captain Frank Black, currently captaining a Disney Cruiseliner in the Pacific Ocean, and member of the Speedwagon Foundation. Captain Black departs the ship and hurries to Colorado, fearing for Jay's safety.

The three characters notice eachother in a traffic jam along a mountain highway. They lock eyes and a race ensues to Jay's house. However, the source of the traffic jam is revealed to be a schoolbus carefully placed to block all traffic, and the three are attacked by an unknown enemy that filled their car with nitroglycerin. They finally track down Ratt Wildcat, and his stand 『Loud Pipes』, capable of having anything that goes into one finger come out the other, and them being detachable for a variety of indirect attacks. He states he is also a member of the Titans, and their goal is the destruction of the Joestar family. He is subdued by tying him to his own improvised bomb, and says that another member is already at Jay's house.

3/?

The three manage to reach Jay's house, 1985 Kiss Boulevard. It is a former monastery converted into Jay's private studio. Jay himself drives up with his girlfriend Subaru, after a day of sketching trees. Unconcerned with the danger, he enters his home as Nole, Feel Fresh, and Captain Black follow.

Captain Black searches the house, and discovers the library has been ransacked. A stack of Holy Bibles begin to extrude needles like sea urchins and he flees, only to be trapped in a hole by a shadowy entity. Nole and Jay enter the worship hall and begin arguing, eventually coming to blows. Feel Fresh browses the kitchen and is attacked by a small girl with metal skin and stained-glass eyes, eventually revealed to be Jay's Stand 『Fabrication』using its subpower, 『Copic Mode』to play tricks.

Nole and Jay's fight spills out into the front hall, only for an enraged Subaru to attempt to run Nole over with the car. Feel Fresh uses his hook power to pull the handbrake and stop her. A sinister Stand, 『The Jungle』appears and abducts Subaru, leading them into the Art Gallery. 『The Jungle』uses the power of Dimensions to make flat things extrude to turn drops of paint into spikes, and eventually crush the entire group. Captain Black managed to escape the hole and used his Water Touch power to find something jostling the pipes on the second floor. He finds the stand user Ji-In hiding in the crawlspace, and defeats him.

After everyone makes nice, they receive a call from the Speedwagon Foundation, saying they should all come to the base nearby. The four stand users arrive and meet their contact, Doctor Worm. He explains that an island village in Greece named Mamacusa has suddenly vanished, and they received a cassette tape (it was 2001) with a sinister message. A person identifying themselves as Herman Zi claims responsibility and promises more devastating acts if the Joestar Family does not give themselves up.

4/?
Session 3:
On their way to Greece to track down a missing city, the group is ambushed at the Athens International Airport.

The plane was crashed by a unidentified flying object known as 『Rocketman』. It resembled a satellite covered in radars, antennae, and solar panels. It could hover with rocket boosters and fire microwave beams. It could also slash with its antennae and move like a millipede.

The group fought on the tarmac but were vulnerable to Rocketman's powerful microwave beam attacks and superior flight.

The four fled in a fire engine sent to their crashed Jet. In a combination attack, they surfed a giant wave up onto Rocketman, then hitched it to the firetruck via Take On Me. As Rocketman boosted away, it was snagged and travelled in an arc, smashing into the airport terminal. Joshua joestar was narrowly saved from hitting the ground by Captain Black catching him with a torrent of water. Meanwhile, Nole Nalestrom managed to piledrive Rocketman, then attempted to rip open its Hatch.

Rocket Man attempted to fry everyone with Microwaves, but Joshua Joestar managed to neutralize the attack with Fabrication's ability to reflect energy, and chopped off some of its legs. Nale Nalestrom burst through the hatch and pulled out Jaque E Gateau, choking him out.

Go on....

5?
The group fled through the streets, a paranoid Captain Black causing it to rain on Athens. As they move to a hotel where Speedwagon Agents had some intelligence for them, they discovered the place trashed. A single intact video camera shows the agents being destroyed by a mysterious and powerful man. They quickly interrogate Jaque E Gateau, who tells them he is a full member of the Titans, his codename is Cancer, and that agents Gemini, Virgo, Taurus, and Leo were also sent after them. There's a knock on the door, and that same person, Dom Saya, is there. He asks which of them is the Joestar, and Frank Black claims he is. He begins to battle the Stand Users inside the hotel room with martial arts, and their Stands merely phase through him. Nole catches a glimpse of another person nearby and chases them. Only finding a frightened tourist, he returns and is confronted by a copy of Dom Saya. Dom attempts to produce photographs of the Joestar, but Frank Black washes them away.

After some struggle and several kicks to the face, they realize that Dom is immune to stands, and indeed is not a Stand User at all. Joshua and Captain Black tunnel down to the lobby to escape, and Dom formally challenges Captain Black, to martial arts combat. He explains he is the practitioner of a secret martial art called The Rush, which embodies darkness and emptiness to absorb energy. Frank removes his captain's outfit, shedding his massive water weight to reveal a man in peak fighting condition. He reveals he is gifted in the art of Hamon, and the two do battle.

6/?

Meanwhile, Feel Fresh and Nale are still struggling with the second Dom Saya. Nole realizes that he can use his traditional combat training to deal with Dom Saya, and literally pulls the rug out from under him with Superbeast. Feel Fresh somehow steals a Shuriken from another person and manages to sling it into Dom Saya's head, stunning him. Nole Jumps into the hole created by Fabrication and piledrives Dom Saya into the lobby.

At the same time, Dom Saya and Captain Frank Black do battle, the light of Hamon versus the darkness of Rush. Captain Black defeats him with a tremendous Overdrive attack. The two Dom Sayas collide in a cloud of darkness and when they are visible, only one remains. However, Dom Saya declares that he has abducted Joshua Joestar, who he believes is merely a companion of Captain Black!

Gotta run and do an errand. Resume storytime when I return.

This is good stuff, bumping the thread until OP gets back

7/?
Session 4:
Dom Saya gives them a business card with a Date and Time, then dissolves into smoke. Meanwhile, Jay wakes up transported inside of a truck with Dom Saya in the back. He explains that he can be in two places at once thanks to Quantum Entanglement, and he is also driving the vehicle. Jay also can't bring out his Stand as long as he is near Dom Saya.

The next day, Feel Fresh, Captain Black, and Nole Nalestrom arrive at the designated streetcorner, where a green stretch SUV Limo arrives and picks them up. They are taken to the Mondegreen Country Club outside of Athens, where they are greeted by the owner: Lincoln Park, code name Libra. He explains he has placed Jay's heart inside of a golf ball, and will only return it if the others can beat him in a game of Stand Golf, Titans vs Joestars. There was a long list of rules, magically enforced by his Stand 『Even Matter』, and violating them would cause heart damage. They were transported to exotic locations all over the world, but Lincoln's superior golf skills were no match for the heroes' powers of Stand Cheating.

Just as he seemed to be defeated, Linkin Park reveals that to become a member of the Titans, one must receive an invitation from the organization and defeat another Stand User as initiation, and Feel Fresh was counted as a member of the Titans the whole time! Feel Fresh then began to assault Lincoln Park, pointing out doing so didn't violate the rules, and the game was called off with the Joestars as the victor.

A pleading Lincoln Park bartered information in exchange for his safety. He said that one member of the Joestar Family had been eliminated already: Jay's Mother, Georgina Joestar, and by Herman Zi himself! (Actually it was Jaque Gateau who said so but I forgot to include that earlier). But he says that Herman Zi is learning to control his Stand power, and offers a video tape as evidence. The Joestars let Dom Saya and Lincoln Park go, and watch the Tape.

8/?
The video tape shows whom they presume is Herman Zi, a buff chinese man with waist length black hair, in an underground chamber. The cameraman does something and ghostly outlines can be seen. Herman Zi targets a dog in a cage with his Stand Power, which is obstructed by a haze of outlines. A perfectly spherical hole is left behind, as well as the mangled body of a Chicken, apparently the subject of the last test according to dialog. The footage ends there. Jay and Company vow to move quickly to Mamacusa to see what clues they can gather.

System?

9/?
Session 5:
The heroes contact Doctor Worm and acquire a boat, the Friday Night, and sail off to Mamacusa Island. When there they find there's an enormous yet smooth crater in the center of town. They combine their powers to clear away garbage and interview locals (via mind control), and learn the story. There used to be a Temple at that location, half archaeological site and half still practicing pagan rites. The entire thing vanished overnight, leaving the big hole. Nole found a big stone disc at the bottom, carved with a Sun and some ancient greek text, which none of them could read. Jay Joestar photographed them and brought them to a kodak store to be developed. In the meantime, they all take a break at a nearby hotel business room and call Doctor Worm. They are also met in person by another of Jay's girlfriend, Gio, who works for the speedwagon foundation. She was assigned to search the island and fills in the rest of the details, such as that Georgina Joestar was at the temple on the night it vanished.

Doctor Worm hears their report by telephone, and agrees to have the greek text translated. In the meantime, they had been doing surveillance on the Mondegreen Country Club and noticed three suspicious individuals coming recently, which they believe to be members of the Titans. He sends their photographs via fax.

First, Vicky Santos. Exotic Chilean Dancer famed in international circuits.
Second, Sunny John, a Greece native, surfer, and sculptor.
Third, Doctor Grull. However, the Fax is corrupted and his photo doesn't go through. When they try again, his face is covered with the word "NO" repeated hundreds of times. As they ponder this issue, they feel a chill and notice that Gio is starting to Ice Over!

>『The Jungle』uses the power of Dimensions to make flat things extrude to turn drops of paint into spikes, and eventually crush the entire group.

Dope power.

>He explains that he can be in two places at once thanks to Quantum Entanglement, and he is also driving the vehicle.

Definitely Araki-style thinking.

10/?
They find a tiny Pin embedded in Gio's ankle, which then explodes into dust as they examine it. Most of the party is now affected by this strange Enemy Stand power. The colder they get, the sleepier they get, and vice versa. Gio is frozen solid, and the rest of them fight off frostbite with coffee and improvised heat lamps created by Jay.

They begin searching the scene, and it's ultimately Jay's dedication to his photographs that proves the answer, as they discover Vicky Santos, codename Virgo, and her Stand 『La Vida Loca』pursue them on motorcycle. A battle ensues, and against La Vida Loca's power of the Icy Curse Pins, they all frantically attempts to stay unfrozen and conscious. Nole falls in love with Vicky Santos, but his wrestling moves are no match for her ability to evade. Vicky Santos is ultimately defeated by knocking over a fried cheese cart and setting it on fire, giving them enough energy to launch Feel Fresh like a missile at her. Vicky Santos is retired and everyone thawed, but unfortunately Jay's photographs were destroyed in the battle. Fortunately they manage to go take some new ones, break in to the destroyed Photo Store and develop them, and fax them to Doctor Worm.

Mutants and masterminds 3e.

Thanks! I was pretty happy with those two.

11/?
Session 6:
This session started late, so I used the Random Super Power wiki to make some temporary villains. Thus were born Soldier Boy and Backstreet Boy, brothers of Beasty Boy, out looking for revenge on Feel Fresh and Nole Nalestrom. As Captain Black and Feel Fresh buy new clothes, the Fancily-dressed obese man Soldier Boy gets into a protocol argument with Captain Black. Much glove slapping and duel challenges to go around, and unleashes his stand 『Crank』to erode any minerals nearby, including the city. Meanwhile, skateboarder in overalls Backstreet Boy finds Jay and Nole eating Korean Barbecue (the restaurant had just opened). He spends some time fanboying over Jay and his famous comic book "Inspector Rabbit and Homey Toad", before using his Stand 『I Want It That Way』to make the restaurant grow wings and carry them into the sky. Nole attempted to flee, but had wings grow on his back and carry him back to the restaurant.

Feel Fresh and Jay Joestar quickly switch places and the fight is on. Nole is buffeted by various dangerous objects with wings, until he gets Backstreet Boy into a headlock. Feel Fresh pulls the Gun he stole from Beasty Boy and shoots Backstreet Boy in the leg, saying "He was a skater Boy, I say seeya later Boy". Captain Black steals a huge amount of water from the city main and floods Soldier Boy, then speeds off to catch the hostages falling from the flying restaurant. Jay's 『Fabrication』battles Soldier Boy and Crank, and we have our first attack rush.

『Fabrication』"ATATATATATATATATATATA!"
『Crank』: "YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Jay ultimate prevails, shish-kebabing Soldier Boy.

I gotta go to bed now. I will resume the storytime tomorrow. Ask any questions you want now, such as what characters and Stands looked like.

>Thus were born Soldier Boy and Backstreet Boy, brothers of Beasty Boy,
Fuck man that good.

Six sessions til an attack rush? For shame...!

This sounds great. Fantastic abilities you're coming up with, I like the simplicity of them. "Things grow wings" is hilariously simple yet clearly has some nice utility.

How do you convey that JoJo-ness in an RPG. I want to run a JJBA game but I want it to have that feel and not just be "RPG with dudes that have wacky powers" and I'd rather not fall back onto memes.

And yeah describe all the Stands please!

>Thus were born Soldier Boy and Backstreet Boy, brothers of Beasty Boy,
Made me think of the Beagle Boys.
Thanks for that.

>Mutants and masterminds 3e.

Any special rules aside from "everyone has stands and they follow the rules of Stands"?

Also how many points to spend?

That campaign sounds like a lot of fun.

JoJo campaign best Campaign

Has there been any other little comedic happenings that stand out as great moments for you and your group, the lighthearted stuff that breaks a little tension

How the fuck did you pull off weird japanese araki shit without cringing at the weeb shit coming out of your own mouth.

Asking 100% seriously I'd like to run jojo but fuck japan

You just do it with 100% straight face no matter how weird or dumb or insane it might be, obviously.

Here are some things that make JoJo feel like JoJo to me, beyond just 'wacky dudes with wacky powers':

>Pseudo-science and urban legend
Araki is obsessed with the weird and unusual things in the real world - as he himself says, he's a lot like Rohan, who goes around and investigates odd happenings for inspiration. Araki takes inspiration from straight-up Fortean phenomena and other off-the-beaten-path ideas.

A lot of the weirdest abilities in JoJo take 'realistic' things (if you assume that you live in the reality of X-Files and such) to explain their powers. They operate off of the flimsiest of explanations, but if you squint and make everything blurry and fuzzy, it almost feels like it makes sense. Things like Metallica's ability, the guy who attacks by manipulating 'rods', Weather Report's more esoteric rain of frogs and snail-transformation, and so on. As long as you have the flimsiest explanation that makes it seem like you're at least winking at science, you're fine.

I definitely would say that Araki developed this feel more and more over time, but you can still see it from the start with the 'explanation' of how vampires worked, and Hamon.

Araki likes writing fantasy, but he LOVES the real world. His stories are filled with history facts, science lessons, showcases of the weird and subtle things in the world around us, and so on. If you don't feel like you're lifting things form Discovery Channel and History Channel and National Geographic at all times, you're not writing an Araki-enough story.

>Simplicity and versatility

A lot of the best powers in JoJo are wacky, but very straightforward. "I can make zippers in things". "I can repair things." The fun is seeing how they extend these powers to be useful in a variety of ways and account for their weaknesses. (Another famous line: "My power truly has no weakness!")

While Jojo has had some weird and overwrought abilities, the best ones - and the ones that feel the most JoJo - are these uber-simple ones that are applied in extremely ridiculous and inventive ways. A part of the fun of a JoJo fight is seeing all the many attacks and things the enemy can do, and struggling to figure exactly how they're doing all of those things with a single power. (This is why I dislike multi-part powers; they ruin that aspect.)

The idea is that, at first, it's incredibly confusing figuring out what's happening. But the second you figure it out, it's relatively easy to start logically projecting what your opponent can do with the power - but there is still the capability for surprise, of course.

Also, naturally, a lot of these 'logical extensions' rely on pseudoscience. (See: Weather Report)

I hadnt even noticed he was into urban legend shit, but looking at part 4 pretty much every minor stand encounter was based around some urban myth or another. Also the alien. Fuck.

Yeah, he's super into "Believe It Or Not" stuff.

Let's not forget that to truly capture the "essence" of "JoJo", you have to add superfluous "quotation marks" to many different "terms" while writing the "dialog"