dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No edition? No topic starter?

Here's a topic starter for you: Eberron????

Do you guys like the Adventure Zone?

always, forever.

I've heard it's pretty entertaining and funny, but I'm not one for watching or listening to other people play D&D despite streaming D&D games myself.

yo I need point buy or standard array distribution for a tiefling paladin and what oath?
thx in advance bby

15, 8, 15, 8, 8, 15.
Oathbreaker.

8, 14, 14, 10, 12, 16, abyssal variant tiefling

dex paladin with a buckler and rapier, oath of the crown

you're an initiate to some paladin order that serves as private guards when the "king" (pope or some other high religious figure) travels on pilgrimages

but you're also kind of a sleazy womanizing pretty-boy so your order tends to send you off to find more menial things to do until you buck up and mature a bit

obviously none of this works if your DM is a stick in the mud and treats tieflings as horrible monsters that society shuns at every opportunity

Here's a topic. I'm a ForeverDM who just got one of his players to start playing. My campaign was super lax, with lots of items and healing, since it was everybody's first campaign, myself included. NewDM ran SKT, which I gave him. He wanted to run it brutal and smart, which I thought would be cool.

Session 1 we nearly get TPKed by the Orcs. In session 2, while trying to rescue the villagers from the Dripping Caves, we are forced to retreat and take a long rest. On coming back all thirty villagers are dead (he was rolling a d20 to see how many died each hour), which was disappointing, since I set up a bunch of sweet illusions that had the goblins and ogres cowering. Over the course of this session my Wizard and the party Rogue get killed. This wasn't a problem with me at the time (I was bummed, but I knew I'd be fine), but some other players thought he was running the game too harshly.

A few days later I'm chatting with a friend of mine who's in the group, and he's arguing with me about the game being too ruthless. I argue that we deserved our deaths (the Rogue goofed, and my Illusion Wizard wasn't properly built for heavy combat.) On the subject of the villagers, though, my friend won't give up. After a lengthy debate, I recalled the DM said offhandedly that I could read the module after he ran parts, so I glanced in the pdf to see just how many villagers were supposed to die. Turns out my friend was kinda right, there probably should have been some villagers left, given the way it was written.

Next day, hang out with NewDM all afternoon, chilling, talkin DnD, and I tell him about the argument I had with the other player, and how I looked up the pdf and thought the gripe about the villagers being all dead was a legit complaint. I did point out that I did so because I thought he told me I could, and that I was trying to defend his choice, at least at first. (1/2)

>obviously none of this works if your DM is a stick in the mud and treats tieflings as horrible monsters that society shuns at every opportunity
I hate it when a DM constantly brings up your race in a demeaning way but I'm a firm believer in tieflings having to wear cloaks everywhere they go.

The rest of the day chillin with NewDM is fine. Seems like we're gonna play DnD the next day. Sunday comes, and he texts us in the morning saying he's not playing because friend and I read ahead (which we didn't). Monday he texts me he's quitting DMing all together. I write him a college essay back trying to talk him out of it. No reply yet.

I know I fucked up by looking at the pdf with another player (especially one who likes to complain), and undermining his control of things, but as the old DM I wanted to act as a mediator during the transition.

I'm not sure I can fix things at this point, but has anybody had similar problems transitioning to new DM's, or taking one's hand off the wheel themselves? *Is there* anything I can do? NewDM is a good friend, and a could be a much better DM than I, so it'd be a waste if he quit now.

Nah, he's not gonna make it and he knows it. He fucked up, he had a group that would have kept going with him, and he pussed out. Cut your losses and take the reins back over.

That said, if you let him in the next game your a better person than I am. I might let him back in game after that, though.

Maybe don't make a special snowflake child of demons if you want your DM to treat yoir character normal

Did y'all start at lvl 1?

>treats tieflings as horrible monsters that society shuns at every opportunity
Yeah, medieval peasants are known to be very trusting and accepting of all people and demonic magics.

Yeah, at my suggestion, so that he could get used to everything. That wasn't the problem though. We didn't play smart. Like at all. It was kinda embarrassing. Kinda made me realize how much I had coddled them that first campaign, even when I was trying to make shit challenging.

>an entire race of people who literally spew hellfire everywhere if they trip and fall
>not being shunned

so do you disallow tieflings at your table or do you warn your players what the public reaction will be like? surely you don't give your friend the go-ahead to roll a tiefling only to turn around and completely shit on the socially all campaign

Yeah, it's pretty great if you like something not cliche.

Are tieflings even good for anything other than sorcerer

When I shit on tieflings, it's in the setting doc both under the place(s) that discriminate and under the description of the tiefling race. If they read neither the parts of the setting doc that relate to the place the campaign starts nor the ones on their chosen race, not my problem.

They're good for anything that uses CHA

Everyone I play with knows the reaction to tieflings in FR, so if we were playing in that setting they'd be allowed and everyone would know what to expect. Still, I don't think anyone at my table would play one. We haven't any in our previous FR games.

My current game is in a custom setting that only has Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, Gnomes, and Halflings.

If he's gonna be a vagina about players looking at the module after he fucked up and even okay'ed it, as if he's completely incapable of changing up some shit in it then fuck em.

I don't know if RPG Maker user is here but there is a script you can get that will screenshot your whole map with like f8 or something. I used to use it for parallax mapping.

You could volunteer to sit out a session while you guys catch up to where you read. Kinda sucks but if he's going to go nuclear on you might be a good option. Or just play 100% in character and you couldn't help in any ooc discussions.

Or the most likely thing is you will have to DM again. Which is what I always end up doing because the only player that will DM in my group everyone hates and always does stupid shit.

>You could volunteer to sit out a session while you guys catch up to where you read.
He (claims to have) only read the parts the party already finished. Proposing that would be seen as an admission of guilt.

That would've been nice to have considering I just made a map that was taller than my screen and I had to stitch it in Paint. I'll check it out, thanks.

>"Stop being such a fucking special snowflake," said Robert, as he statted up his variant human Lucky Diviner wizard.

>"Yeah, man, we're getting pretty tired of it," agreed Malcom, putting the finishing touches on his variant human tunnel fighter/PAM/sentinel Fighter.

>"Can't you be creative without using those weirdo races?" asked Derek. "I mean, really." He then passed his character, a variant human Eldritch-Blast-machine warlock, to the DM for approval.

>"If it keeps happening, we'll have to ask you to leave." Jeff's face was grim as he paged through the rulebook, working on his variant human Moon Druid with a Life Cleric dip.

>Unearthed Arcana: That Old Black Magic
>new options for Tieflings (the quintessential Warlock race)
>new spells for summoning demons (something many Warlocks would be interested in doing, especially an Abyssal tiefling warlock)
>spells are for sorcerer and wizard only
Explain.

>WIZARDS of the Coast letting non-Wizards do things
ho ho ho

Warlocks don't get ritual casting without their pact.

Joke's on you, I play a Dwarf Fighter [sword]-n-boarder every time.

Anyone know of any Adventures/Modules with a Bard as the main antagonistic force? Any edition is fine.

>Has a problem with a straight Warlock
The moon druid things is pretty dumb, but only really matters for Goodberry, lucky diviner wizard is better/more memetic with a halfling, and i straight disallow tunnel fighter, cause it's a shit UA.

Seems like you have an unnatural hatred for your fellow man.

What does that have to do with anything?

They're not even rituals, they all have a casting time of 1 action, and no (ritual) tags.

Ah I see, sounds like his friend is being unreasonable.

To be fair to the New DM though the book is just a guide and how the campaign is ran is completely up to the DM's discretion. If he felt that the goblins wanted to kill every villager then they killed every villager.

Warlocks aren't supposed to be summoners in 5e. It's actually strange that they get Conjure Fey, they don't get anything else.

My current character is a variant human. I took Gourmand.

>wearing a shield as a dwarf
I hope you're a cleric laddie

The iconic D&D dwarf is now a battleaxe+shield fighter.

Good lesson to not play a difficult campaign if not everyone is on board.

>Not turning your shield into a cooking pot

My variant human took
Duel Wielding

Do you ever feel like the campaign you're writing for your players might be stupid? That'll they'll maybe tear into the story and find either poor motivation for NPCs or plot holes. I don't want to waste time on boring my players. Sometimes I say just go with it and see how they react and think the typical stop the bandit thieves can be fun while other times I think I have to come up with this unique and complex character in a strange and mysterious situation.

Wouldn't a bat just fly in between the holes of the net?

>the only class to have backstory explicitly stating they have researched arcane lore and found ways to contact other worldly beings to create pacts
>cannot summon anything at all
Why the fuck can Sorcerors summon demons? Wizards and Warlocks should be the only ones with that sort of knowledge

versatile weapons sux or so I was told

I took Duel Welding. My character fights using acetylene torches

>To be fair to the New DM though the book is just a guide and how the campaign is ran is completely up to the DM's discretion. If he felt that the goblins wanted to kill every villager then they killed every villager.
That's just another thing against him though, OP isn't roasting him for not running the module to a T, but his friend thinks the change to make more villagers die is bad and seeing as he changed it on his own accord he is to blame for that if it's a bad change. He could have defended this, but chose to pussy out, accuse them of cheating, and stop GMing.

So what is the absolute worst playable race right now? No monster races

The iconic characters have been trash since well before 5th edition.

Eh, mechanical issues. Instead of Hexing, you'd just summon a demon to keep around every time you short rest.

No, but good luck hitting a bat with a net. 15 foot range and you literally always have disadvantage.

Because you'd see every Warlock picking up every one of these summon spells and getting their party killed when they fail the CHA checks.

I never said they were good, just that they are the go-to depiction. Hell, character creation uses Bruenor.

>Take Lucky feat
>Roll 3 die, pick one

You can use sharpshooter to not have it.

I'm not so sure. Controlling the demons is incredibly hard, in fact a couple them are literally just hostile to all creatures.

Take a look
media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

One of the ones with sunlight sensitivity.

Tritons

sword and board only gets bad once others get GWM/SS, but two hanging is pointless because dueling already gives MORE damage.

Non-variant human or the Underdark races that turn retarded in sunlight.

The two character dwarves in the PHB are clerics with a 2h mace

Genasi are stupid broken at low levels, so is that dumb bird race

Bruenor is literally the first character shown/described in the PHB you lying cunt.

what about just a jar or a box, or even a bag?

The first time I've ever seen anyone call a Genasi broken

tritons are cool as fuck yo

Explain.

Fair enough, and it definitely makes it less of an issue, but when they didn't get the rest of the "Conjure X" spells, or animate dead, i can see sticking with that design choice. Again, excluding the odd inclusion of Conjure Fey.

Now it's an improvised weapon.

Tritons make good Paladins, and are obviously very good for any campaign involving water. A built in swim speed makes a HUGE difference in combat ability in the water.

Yea and if you look further into the book the character for dwarves is a female dwarf with a maul, then the character for clerics is a dwarf with, you guessed it, a maul. That's two to your one you fat sausage

Now you have an improvised net, good job losing your prof bonus.

Flying and Levitate

Isn't there a truckload of dwarves across the entire book? Page 10 there's a dwarf with nothing but a handaxe.

I told NewDM that I thought that it was a bit much because there was no "half-reward", as in some of the villagers are dead and the survivors ask us "Why? WHYY?", but there are still some survivors.

NewDM can be a bit sensitive, and can sometimes let anger build up without letting you know. Still, his mastery of the rules and tactical genius (he carried my last campaign as a Necromancer, and was nigh unkillable by the end) will go to waste.

Dammit...

>always have disadvantage

y tho

For anyone who is good with CR calculations, what would the CR of a ghoul be if it had three attacks (two claw one bite) and max HP?

The rules?

It's a ranged weapon with an effective range of 5. You are within 5 feet of your enemy to use it.
You have disadvantage.
You are within 15, maximum range, but not 5.
You have disadvantage.

You have a couple of options to negate it, but they involve feats, or, obviously, attacking someone you would have advantage on to negate.

Fucking yes I like Adventure Zone

Only at low levels. They have innate abilities equivalent to 3rd level spells,good constitution for maintaining concentration or resisting poison. If you had a whole party of them you could plan around it, but if you have a regular party and then one guy who can breathe water from level one with a swim speed of 30ft, or a guy who doesn't need to breathe at all and can levitate, or can fly like 60ft if its that bird thing, from level 1 it's all pretty ridiculous and fucks with your options as DM. Obstacles that will be hard for the rest of the party are effortless for the EE races, and if you try to balance to make it harder for your EE race you usually make it hard for the rest of the party. It's just a pain in the ass and forces you to make certain choices, like tight tunnels that you cant fly levitate or swim in

I had an aarakocra in my party at the beginning of a campaign a while ago. He died in the first session because the bad guys had bows.

Levitate is even less spooky. 20 feet off the ground doesn't matter almost at all.

I know why nets have disadvantage, I'm asking why there is no other object in the game I can use to trap small creatures without being at disadvantage

Again, the rules. Attempting to use an improvised weapon to catch something most resembles a net, meaning you would be using a nets stats, but without proficiency. Unless you have tavern brawler.

If a weapon specifically designed to capture things is difficult, why would a non-weapon be easier?

Playing a Tiefling now. DM has been pretty consistent about the hate of Tieflings. I got into a huge bar fight just because I walked in. It's just a big RP opportunity as I see it. I'm just playing that my Tiefling character is racist as hell too. Its fun and reasonable.
Warlock BTW.

Because there's a massive difference between trying to restrain a humanoid-sized warrior and scoop up a tiny flying creature.

You're asking what's the difference between covering a person in a huge net and swiping your hand to catch something small.

Unless i'm retarded, ghouls are significantly weaker than CR1 is "supposed" to be, as doing what you say made the ghoul CR1, with OCR2 and DCR1/2

Having one character who can swim really well doesn't do much for the rest of the party. At best, it's a help action so you crank the DC up two or three points.
Let the swimmy guy have his swimmy time and help the other not-swimmy guys. Don't even try to challenge him, just challenge the rest of the party assuming he helps.

So I have a question.
I'm trying to make pic related in 5e and I have no idea where to start.

I'm want to get myself hyped because this game will run for just about when the next game comes out.

No, catching something in your hand is a grapple. If you want to fluff a grapple as a box or whatever, that's fine. Nets restrain, which is a stronger condition, and applies because the net is a weapon.

Huh, that's interesting. That OCR was definitely what I was looking for though, thanks.

If I recall, the CR calculations don't account for things like the ghoul's paralysis ability, which would certainly make it stronger than just attacks alone.

That is probably the issue. It's hard to balance at lvl 1 for a new gm so the party felt mad about it
I disallow

You can't put anything out of reach to the party, they can maneuver however they want across the field, take high ground, avoid pit falls and chasms, literally all of the enemies need good ranged attacks against them,

If you wanted to have an encounter you're going to have to scrap that because you will find it nearly impossible to find a challenge rating that isnt too easy for "the swimmy guy" without also being too hard for the not swimmy guys. Plus if you ever wanted to have an interesting item at the bottom of a body of water thats completely trivialised too.

Do you guys not DM? The EE races really cut into what you can do with the environment because they're literally designed to have mastery over at least 1 of them

Right, i totally didn't bother to look at anything except the numbers. In that case, you'd probably hit CR2 at a minimum, since doubling the paralysis chances is pretty big.

I said "swipe your hand" as the motion. Compare catching a wasp in a jar with throwing a net over a person. It's a completely different action.

I've literally recently gone through this, if the party has prep time, the balance doesn't need altering, the swimmy guy just has a good/fun time in that fight. If they don't, you tune it down a bit. Being forced to use a spear/dagger/whatever isn't that huge.