How do you like your vampires, teegee?

How do you like your vampires, teegee?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tQlxsg1Jdso
rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dead.

Enlightened despots with great style and ironically healthy romantic relationships.

Immortal predators who are bound by Byzantine political structures.

Nigh invincible creatures of the nights lording over feudal fiefs with superscience and magic with armies of demons and other monsters from myth at their command. Whose presence is so overwhelming that all but the most resolute of mortals are reduced to simpering, quivering messes.
Yet still able to succumb to the foibles and weaknesses of the heart just like the puny humans they so look down on.

So I see you're enjoying Netflix's Castlevania then?

I don't.
If I'm going to have a person-monster, I draw from really abstract things, not crap that everyone and their mom has done.

Haven't gotten around to that one yet.
Was more writing on the Vampire Hunter D novels, particularly the one that inspired the Bloodlust movie.

Not mere monsters, but forces to be reckoned with. I've always appreciated Castlevania for the gravitas they gave Dracula.

Vampires, at least powerful ones, should be close to demigods. They are rulers of the night, ancient nightmares that wield dark, hellish magic.

>2017
>Still trying to be this much of a hipster
Iggyshggydiggydon't

Like pic related
It's bretty gud. Trevor Belmont's whip antics are fucking ridic

For reference, "left" referred to a pic of Castlevania Dracula, and "right" a generic bat monster. I clarify because a politically-minded reader might get lost in his own symbolism

I like that. But then how do vampires relate with one another?

A race on the way to extinction. Brutish, superstitious, at odds with modernity, powerful yet vulnerable.

The same way two dogs relate. They're both dogs, they both know what's up.

Solitary monsters of utterly unrestrained appetites that live on the very fringes of the known world and beyond. The only recognizable humanity they have is a sadisitc imagination and a thirst for arbitrary cruelty. Also, I like it when there is only one in a given story, but that doesnt seem to be very common nowadays.

wracked with guilt, like me

If they reproduce sexually, then they'd be like animals. Protecting territory from rivals, impressing mates, working in groups when necessary or advantageous.

If they don't reproduce, then they probably would either interact very little, only when necessary to maintain the illusion of humanity, or they'd simply understand eaxh others purpose or rank in their "society" and work as a unit.

I like my bloodsuckers sexy and bisexual, so I can watch.

In ages past, vampirism was spready by one vampire purposely draining a human victim of their blood and replacing it with some of their own. This forced the victim to turn into a Nosferatu- a powerful vampire possessing wicked intellect and cunning, super strength, heightened reflexes and senses, bottomless endurance, arcane magical powers- the works, basically. They retain very little of their old drives, wants and desires- their only needs are blood and power.

These days, most vampirism is spread through a bloodborne illness spread by ticks. Victimes of this vector of infection are turned into Dhampyr.
A Dhampyr's powers are slaved to the source of the blood they drink, but their nature is not fundamentally changed as a Nosferatu's is. A Dhampyr isn't greatly different to a normal human, they just have to drink blood to live and can't go out in the day.

Oh god, that movie gave me so many confused why boners as a kid.

I read a really nice short story with its own take on vampires. Vampirism makes you ageless and physically superior to normal people, and blood drinking lets you heal faster I believe, but it comes with a heavy price. Whatever was most important to you in life, whatever made you the happiest or was most central to your identity, becomes your 'silver bullet' after you turn. The more common that thing is the less it bothers you, and particularly rare 'anathema' is kryptonite.

One character loves Easter, and so for the whole week she's as weak as a kitten. Another character loved fuzzy slippers (no, really) and the mere sight of them paralyzes her. I think another example might be chocolate turning into a deadly poison for the vampire, or rock music giving them migraines that turn into brain damage if they can't get away in time. The rock music, I think, was particularly interesting in that earbuds didn't help; the vulnerability only cared if it was audible where the vampire was, not if the vampire was capable of hearing it.

It's an interesting concept because it sort of explains the crosses and holy water weaknesses of myth, those were just vampires back in the day when the thing they most cared about was God, or faith, or religious rituals. The frequency vs. impact relationship felt to me like it could work well for a tabletop game, and it's how I run some of my monsters to this day. It would be interesting to balance the negative side effects for one vampire whose anathema is Dogs or Cell Phones and another which is Llamas or Emeralds.

Dhampyr forced to drink animal blood become feral, losing a lot of their reasoning capabilities and prone to becoming focused to short term survival. The mind quickly slips into nothing, and Dhampyr that feed on animals for too long find themselves permanently trapped in this state.

Dhampyr that feed on the sick, weak and elderly are wretched but quick. The thirst is an ever-present drive to them, and if their morals weren't strong when they were alive there's little to stop them dropping now. They tend to look like wild people, with a deathly pallor, ragged hair and red eyes.
They're faster and stealthier than regular people, but their bones break just the same.

Those that manage to feed on the blood of strong, healthy humans are in every way physically superior to their prey. They possess the innate magical ability to hypnotise with a look, and enjoy a glamour that makes them appear more attractive than they really are, even though they'll never rid themselves of that pale skin.

Dhampyr that manage to drink from a Nosferatu find themselves just as powerful as the "true" vampires. Nosferatu do a hell of a lot to stop this kind of thing from happening- unlike humans, who will happily sell their blood to Dhampyr for some coin.

Physically 14ish, and overdressed.

What if the only thing they loved was themselves?

Like my steak.

Staked.

Setting aside the sensible staking of vampires, why and how are you staking a steak

I think you'd be better saying 'like my dinner- steak(ake_

>He doesn't stake his steaks

Well, certainly there's a reason why some of these vampires shy away from mirrors...

Humans with bloodline ties to blood-sucking grey aliens

On the beach.

I like pretty much every form, and any setting that can include them all viably is a good one.

Such a good film

As a sexual metaphor in the vein of Carmilla.

Also: youtube.com/watch?v=tQlxsg1Jdso

>Netflix's Castlevania
>producers will assrape EVERYTHING in sight for shekels
dammit

Ever evolving monsters on the search for the edge of the coin as to deny their fate.

Warforged

Man I enjoyed rping as one in 4th ed

As the ultimate tyrants, who rule with power, ambition, charisma, and cunning. An aristocracy of the night whose goals are twisted versions of our own. Whose powers make them almost mythical creatures.

WHO DON'T FUCKING SPARKLE AND ACT LIKE FAGGOT HIGHSCHOOLERS

Continuing to plague humanity far into the future.

>plague
*save
ftfy

I dont see how draining a human in 15 seconds counts as saving.

I liked the vampires in Shiki
Essentially the same people as they were in life - humanity included. but pitted against people's innate desire not to starve to death.

They have a few extra powers to help them blend into and subvert society but very little in terms of physical enhancement, so as to try and separate them from the typical inhuman monsters you usually see.

It's a very sympathetic kind of vampire, which is also what makes them a bit more existentially eerie.

It's probably /pol/-tier logic, where they think murder and genocide and oppression are all morally righteous, but having a non-white GF or listening to hip hop is a crime against humanity. You know, total nonsense.

I'm pretty fond of the Brian Lumley's parasite based Necroscope vampires , the hybrid muse creatures from Tim Powers's The Stress of Her Regard and even the classic World of Darkness clan vamps.

You don't plague them if you drian them. You have to save some blood if you want to turn them.
You save them from their shitty "end is nigh" life if you drain them.
It's a win win situation if you finish your meal. If you don't, you fucked up son.

Tragic creatures that are unable to feel anything except the fleeting vestiges of emotion felt by their victims as their essence is drained into the vampire. They don't need blood to survive, they need death to live, even if only for a moment.

He's being original and creative. Leave him alone.

Don't worry, your generation grew up and made True Blood for HBO, so you aren't alone.

Like this.
Alternatively like the Dead Apostle Ancestors. Arc and Roa and the others make fantastic Vampires. D. style is also fantastic.

A sick parody on nobility and chivalry is cool, i think.

You seem visibly upset.

The idea that sunlight kills vampires doesn't come from folklore, or fiction. It stems from a silent movie, F. W. Murnau's "Nosferatu", that hewed so close to Dracula that Stoker's widow sued and won the right to have the film destroyed. It survived in pieces, scattered across the globe, only to rise once more when the widow died.

The point is, the vampire reflects who we are. Just as our culture changes, so does the creature. The vampire of the dark ages was little more than a shambling zombie.

Relax. This, too, shall pass. Although I think the more subtle idea Twilight floated - that a vampire's "diet" influences their eye color - might stick around.

Easier to say how I do not like them, which is lustful and edgy.

Like this, OP

If you think that post was bad, I invite you to the stinking dumpster fire that is the world of darkness general, Right Here On Your Veeky Forums (trademark, patent pending)

>/pol/-tier logic
So much ignorance. You have to take the setting in account.
The most popular setting for vampires is WoD, VtM being 1st (arguably).
In this setting, the "end is nigh" and apocalypse prophets are around every corner of big towns.
So fuck off please.

>still going on about your chinese cartoons

Either dripping with ennui and existential dread, or appropriately eldritch and loving life while Andrew WK's Party Hard plays in the background of every night they're awake.

>responding to a setting-neutral thread
>to a post about cybernetically enhanced sci-fi vampires
>muh WoD
you are a special kind of retarded aren't you?

>responding aggressively to a defensive post responding to an aggressive bait post attacking a WoD related post in a setting-neutral thread that features cybernetically BUT IS NOT ABOUT enhanced sci-fi vampires
how many layers of retarded are we on
Either way you're offended and shouldn't be. Get over your retardation son.

I don't even understand the context of your answer. It's like you looked at the thread and saw a completely different conversation. Might be time to stretch the old legs and rub your eyes, buddy, I think you're starting to make mistakes.

>samefagging and shitposting because I have the time to

Like in Slavic folklore. Not the invincible demi-god mary sues they have become. Essentially blood drinking sapient zombies who can walk in daylight but are weaker than average. They can only use powers if they've actually studied magic like anyone else. They are the damned, and holy symbols inherently harm them because they're unholy abominations. So sick of fedoras writing

*grabs your cross and crushes it*
>Hehe, your phony god can't save you!

are you? that's nice. I prefer sex with another human being as a way to spend my time.

There's a science fiction book with that exact premise.

Vampires are a genetically close specie of human lacking any sense of self. The twist is that literally all the sentient life of the galaxy lack sense of self: it is evolutionary more efficient for a race to never evolve things like music or art or depression. The human sense of self is unnatural, inefficient, and humanity literally dies in the end, gutted by the far more efficient vampires.

It was incredibly bleak, but I liked it.

Sounds like this
rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm

That story never fails to trigger me. It's not bad by any means I just disagree with almost every single aspect you mentioned.

I have no idea what this is from, but it made me choke on my food.

British

Explain.

great movie, pretty nice (although incredibly mary-suey) manga
Really cool take on vampires too

Vampires to me are allegorical of rapists and serial killers and if you strip all the mysticism, tales of slaying vampires is more of a moral lesson that once a man become a monster (figuratively) then it is a good person's duty to kill them to protect innocent people.
And since many vampires tend towards positions of power, it also has an undertone that implies that that the social elite are parasites feeding on the vulnerable underclass, who are sometimes forced to forsake their soul for a chance at being powerful and joining their ranks.

Blindsight>echo praxia

>new friend enthusiastic about educating me in VtR lore and shit for tabletopping characters

help I don't want to be a complete clueless retard

Is that because you're not sure if no one fucked it?

Absolutely great film, it's so quotable. "Werewolves, not swearwolves."

Also in answer to OP, like pic related.

Speaking of the Werewolves I believe there's supposed to be s sequel in the works that follows them documentary style

Oh, I agree.

What's good is that this book is not making a point to the reader. It is not trying to say that art or music is inefficient and that IRL you should try to be as sociopathic as possible. It is just trying to be bleak, for the sake of being bleak, arguably, and explore some very interesting thoughts while doing so. I can dig it. It is full on existential horror, but it's good.

Compare and contrast Dosadi, where the author tries to make a point of the most abject philosophy of life ever created.

I think JoJo vampires are awesome

Congrats m8, you're pretty much the only faggot in this thread with even little bit of taste when it comes to bloodsuckers.

This, basically.
I hate how even DnD is turning them into snowflakes with insane powers instead of vampirism being a monstrous affliction yet a lot of their powers coming from other sources(such as magic or training)

Buxom Futa Girls or Thousand year old lolis.

But nothing inbetween!