Something to scare 40k universe

As a gm , I'm looking for a universe / technology that can threaten 40k.

>5% shitposting allowance

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_S1d_tIDcEk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I saw on a thread years ago a fictional universe where the space battles took nanoseconds.

That kinda stuff.
As much fluff or reference as possible.

Or ultra spooky supernatural stuff could also work.

Gunbuster. Both Gunbuster humanity and the Space Monsters they fight look juuuust enough like something 40k would think they could take, but would find out quickly how wrong that is.

Space Monsters... imagine if Tyranids laid their eggs in suns, had psychic powers that let them FTL on a dime, can spit balls of plasma that can penetrate clean through a moon before exploding and taking out half of your fleet that was using that moon for cover...

And there are more space monsters than there are Tyranids. A lot more. One swarm that attacks Earth is a group of them so numerous that the swarm of space monsters was enough to fill the entire orbital area of pluto around the sun.

The Gunbuster fought such monsters by the trillions, and by the end of the war was outdated tech.

Gunbuster HUMANS, for example, eventually say 'fuck it' and turn Jupiter into a massive black hole bomb, FTL it into the center of Space Monster territory, and wipe more than 50% of the stars in the milky way off the map in one go.

This ultimately fails to stop the space monsters.

Doctor Who Daleks.

Or Doctor Who himself.

Anything with time travel that can change things.

There was that bit in the lore with the Vault of Echoes. Long story short Things from another dimension came pouring out of a fold in space and started kicking the shit of out everything because they were nigh immune to both physical attacks and warp shit. They were only driven back by a Dark Age McGuffin, which a puritan inquisitor declared extra heretical and blew up after. The Vault is still out there in space, so the Things could come back at any time, and the only thing that could stop them got exterminatus'ed.

This makes the Imperium look like pussies and lucky bastards.

Forgive me user, but that all sounds really, really stupid.

The blood tide, and also the androids

No dumber than anything else in 40k.

If you think THATS stupid, the first half of Gunbuster is essentially a spoof of a tennis anime, replacing learning to pilot giant robots for the traditional sports montages.

Well, most of the sports montages. You still get robots doing pushups.

I think this pretty much encapsulates why these threads are dumb and pointless. There will always be people coming along with whatever fucking book or shitty anime have giant rape swords that eat entire dimensions or whatever. None of it is even remotely narratively satisfying, on top of the fact that the original universe in question is stupid and unsatisfying, and just engenders these brainless "nu-UH" arguments

Just as a side note, in 40k the imperium is quite primitive and weak compared to the humans during the golden age before everything went to shit

Its a catch-22, isnt it?

Anything that isnt OBVIOUSLY overwhelming in power will be dismissed by 40k fanboys out of hand because 'lol exterminatus'.

But anything powerful enough that 40k is clearly outclassed is 'stupid bullshit'.

There's not a lot of middle ground there.

I'm not a 40k fanboy. I do enjoy the fluff from time to time, but only in the same vein that I enjoy old, poorly dubbed martial arts action films.

Maybe I'd have to watch Gunbuster to appreciate it, but that description sounds too ridiculous even for me.

I do agree that threads like this are generally pointless though.

Supreme Commander with 24 hour of prep.

Not going to work, Chaosfags are just going to screech about how Chaos corrupts all and is omnipotent.

Star Wars.

The Death Star can anihilate any 40k fleet,and their FTL is super fast for 40k standards.

The borg could do alright if given enough time to set up some manufacturing bases: safer FTL, rapid adaptation of tech, fearless and probably soulless. Real issue is scale differences between the universes and no precedent for how they would fare against packers (likely poorly). They would likely be shrekt quite handily by Necrons or Eldar but would be a huge pain in the ass for the imperium and possible doomsday for the tau. Also probably a love interest for the admech.

To be fair, the best parts of Gunbuster are not the space monsters. They are an excuse for the plot to happen.

The emotional core of Gunbuster is the time dillation from the extended space travel.

Its a weird show. In 6 episodes it goes from Rocky to The Forever War.

*psykers, though the packers in their prime did effectively have plot armor

The Culture is the easy answer.

If you really wanted to one up 40k, just dumb the Excession on them.

I like to see you try.

Because the Death Star was so easy to produce and had no glaring weaknesses.

>As a gm
If we were playing a 40k game and suddenly a portal opened up and Goku flew out I'd reach across the table and slap you.

Metabarons.

hun no, there was no glaring weakness, thays literraly the point of Rogue One

Marvel Universe, maybe. The average MU hero isn't much of a threat to the 40k universe, but the big guns like Silver Surfer, Reed Richards (and ult Reed Richards), Galactus, etc could fuck shit up.

Really.
Can you explain a bit?

Op here.
I like it!

Opera here.
Can you elaborate?
It looks just the ticket

Opera here.
That's a good point.
Any fluff / examples?

Fuck
I'm going to change my name to opera

Yes.
Very good.

Yours faithfully opera

This.

The whole war would be over in minutes.

Gunbuster is actually great though, it's only the sequel that gets really dumb

Don't taunt someone who can make you underground bases achieve scape velocity
And 40k fleets are easy to produce,right?AlsoI forgot about Halo's Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine.Any safe fast FTL would make 40k shit its pants.

Vingeverse - Major civilizations from the Beyond, or anything from the Transcend could royally fuck up 40k.

Xeelee are one of the most advanced species in fiction.

The Xeelee have absolute mastery over the entirety of all baryonic matter in universe. Entire galactic clusters are just bricks to these guys.

Future humans make it to Type III and try to attack the Xeelee by shooting a whole neutron star at them like a bullet. The Xeelee brush this off as though it were insignificant... because it absolutely was. In the endgame of the war between the Xeelee and the Photino Birds, the Xeelee used hypermassive knots of cosmic string as missile-to-missile defense against weaponized galaxies.

There's also the Photino Birds, creatures of dark matter against whom the Xeelee fight a multi-billion year existential war and lose, who have absolute mastery over all the dark matter in the universe.

This. Maybe not the Death Star since it's a big grey ball of sitting duck, but Star Destroyers and small craft would wreck shit. If anyone regards TFA as canon, a skilled enough pilot could come out of light speed in a planet's fucking atmosphere. They'd be the undisputed masters of hit-and-run. Imagine having to worry about a ship coming out of Hyperspace at any second of any day and assulting you, then hightailing it before you can react. The Imperium (not Empire) would be shitting themselves.

Oh, that's easy: put in a noblebright good guy faction and watch the 40k players wail about "muh grimdark" and delight in the gnashing of teeth.
Real talk? I've always thought Xenomorphs would be a neat side story for 40k. Eldar/xenomorph hybrids with crazy psychic powers.

Either side from R-Type, but for entirely different reasons.

So, basically, the T'au before GW truly started to take their setting far to serious for any of our liking?

IIRC the tech to produce the biggest ships in 40k is currently lost tech. so there's that.

> Flood from Halo
> Forerunners from Halo
> Any serious Star Wars faction, not including EU bullshit
> Replicants from Stargate
> Ori from Stargate
> Anyone from LEXX
> Supreme Commander factions

Now can we stop having this stupid argument?

Opera here.
Sounds ideal.
It also sounds like hard sci fi.

How the shit.

The fabulous opera here.
I'm after inspiration rather than arguments.

So far so good.

Hole in one

Y'know, looking at what the various factions in 40k can and can't do, they're not actually that powerful. They're not even moderately powerful. As far as scifi or space fantasy goes, I'd put them on the low end compared to the stuff mentioned in the thread.

I get that it's the nature of nerds to have power level arguments, but why is "40k vs [thing]" so prevalent? What makes them think their setting is so powerful?

youtu.be/_S1d_tIDcEk
This?

40k is very popular and an easy entrance into universe vs ect.

It's just the start point for most and it big screen it's self up.

Daleks

Litterally killed by unarmed humans

A lot of it is speculative, but the dude who wrote is a real life scientist who knows his shit.

The Downstreamers were here. The Culture, Xeelee, and Photon Birds are are nothing compared to us. The birth of the universe to the death of the last sare is not even a footnote to our history and magnificience.

Literally anything Kardashev 2 or higher.
The Imperium is an extremely shitty and inefficient Kardashev 2 civilisation.
Alternatively, throw Hari Seldon at them and he'll conquer the galaxy.

So would it be safe to assume the people claiming 40k can beat up anything are people who haven't had much (or any) exposure to other scifi or space opera or space fantasy settings?

A bunch of wankers you are.

Most settings have fast reliable FTL which tactically puts them leagues ahead of 40k regardless of weapons or armour.

40k has some crazy galaxy spanning civilizations capable of galactic level war and the durability to do it for millennia . But they are broken and everything is grim and dark forever

It's been a while since I've watched Doctor Who but from what I remember, despite being a non-threat at first, some massively convoluted fuckup transforms them into a race capable of going toe-to-toe with the Time Lords and eventually having a weapon that can erase the entirety of reality.

>Alternatively, throw Hari Seldon at them and he'll conquer the galaxy.
Psychohistory falls the fuck apart every time the universe throws you a curveball, and 40K has curveballs coming out of its ears.

Culture, Prehistoric Halo, Metroid, some universes in DC & Marvel, a fuckton of others.

Yeah or get bowled over by 40ks own wank. Ultimate bad ass (only by Thier own standard)

equal to the time lords - the non interfeance non combat race, the very few times we see them fight is civilians with hand held rifles. their only trick is "time bulshit".

Reliable, sure. Fast? Imperium's couple of months/years from one end of the galaxy to the next is pretty fast for the most part.

I don't think you need anything BUT time bullshit if your time bullshit is powerful enough to put the fundamental nature of the universe in danger

>couple of months/years from one end of the galaxy to the next is pretty fast for the most part.

Most settings make the same trip in less time for the convenience of the story.

The ETI from Eclipse Phase. Essentially a god like seed AI that fucks reality in the ass on a whim and mostly just spends it's time making other lesser Seed AIs go crazy with a computer/nano virus that also turns people into fractals.

The time lords ultimatly only use time travel bulshit to create the darleks "genesis of the darleks" destroying themselves.

So if the turn up in 40k they act all pompous untill they kill themselves.

Leaving only the most demented mad man in a box.

Can't see her taking even one Meganob

Fucking bird magic. I bet the Chozo spawned Tzneech just like the Eldar did Slaanesh.

Parasite X alone is enough to cause an apocalyose in 40k.

Given Ms. Exterminatus having weapons which spawn black holes, cause mini supernovas, approach absolute zero & more, she's a Primarch for sure.

I like the odds of Dune's humans against 40k, even if their weapons aren't particularly impressive.

They dodge the issues a lot of these arguments have, in that their tech doesn't rely on computers and thus isn't particularly susceptible to Chaos, and their general populace was selectively bred and conditioned through millennia to allow them to achieve greater, more intimate control of their mind and body, so if the average 40k joe isn't getting corrupted the odds are even lower for them.

It would involve less of a war and more subterfuge and political maneuvering over thousands of years, though

Lensman or Skylark by E.E. "Doc" Smith.

Weaponizing a star system is considered a stopgap measure in Lensman and Skylark involves mass teleportation of individual stars and planets.

I'll see your 2 Death Stars and raise you (at minimum) several dozen Ork Deff Stars/Attack Moons.

Ork gravity whips/grav. weapon tech + WAAAGH! reality warping madness > planet-destroying lasers every time.

And that's BEFORE the greenskins start looting the new enemy tech.

That's a bloody exhaust port which needed supernatural powers and a completely clear shot to shoot.

>100 percent shitposting allowance

This may actually be the single most posted thread in the history of Veeky Forums I have seen it literally several hundred of times and ive only been here three years.

Inb4 daleks you just fucking outrun them nigga lol just fastwalk a half retarded 20 year old girl can beat them

To be fair, even Vader talked shit about the Death Star's power.

Just about anything.
40k may be filled with a huge amount of badass soldiers, but that's about all they got which isn't much compared to others.

However rather then introduce some simple technology that everyone has which would destabilize everything, or some super weapon that makes the death star look like a fire cracker as things ramp to insanity.

No, ... I am going be pure evil genius and release something simple, cute and truly terrifying, (if you stop and think about it).

How would you react to planets being used as relativistic ammunition?

Killing a Dalek is not the same as killing the Daleks.

There's also the weird fixation of the last couple of books with FAST, where even a guy who was one of the finest warriors of the entire species in the first book gets beat up by an elderly butler because his physiology became obsolete while he wasn't around. And then THAT becomes obsolete because post-Scattering humanity has a radically mutated nervous system which allows them to react faster than what the humans of the Old Imperium are physically capable of. And THEN you get the mutant with straight up super speed, to whom everyone else seems to be standing still. Taking in mind that even in the first book, the Weirding Way allowed Bene Gesserit-trained individuals to be so FAST, they appeared to be straight-up teleporting to anyone who wasn't

You mean like smashing a planet into another planet kind of way?

Because the Orks are known for pulling similar stunts in the past (One Ork Warlord strapped a shit-ton of rocket engines to a planetoid and managed to smash it into a neighboring Imperial world. Also, Ghazghkull has a habit of pulling 'rocks fall, everyone dies' on locations that annoyed him in the past using meteors/asteroid forts RIP Hades Hive).

The Imperium on the other hand... they'd probably be losing their shit, and that's only because they just lost a source of tithes/revenue (think of an exceptionally cruel Vogon and you'd have a relatively close comparison to the mindset of an Imperial bureaucrat).

For any setting or race to invade 40k we have to assume they have some kind of warp protection to not get insta gibbed.

The warp is the defining feature of 40k as a universe, war is the defining feature as a setting. But you have to deal with the warp first.

Here is starts with the space magic.

>And 40k fleets are easy to produce,right?
Neither are Star Wars fleets.

if magic is an option why wouldn't we address it? Especially since the warp is the most important part of 40k and has caused everything in it?

For a setting to have a war with 40k they either need to all have pur hearts, warp immunity or fight in a warpless battlefield, which would be fucking stupid. Otherwise they would just fuel the warp

Downstreamers are ridiculous. Fuckers could literally xeelee-stomp everything in this thread at the same time.

I think you're on to something
Perhaps some absolutely mental Nurgle devotees create the truly ultimate bio-weapon

If chaos was that omnipresent and instantly devastating there would be no setting in 40k at all, just the Chaos Gods playing poker

I mean, Supreme Commander and Total Annihilation are not what you would call "stupid bullshit," and they can beat 40k through sheer numbers.

>Hyperion
>Later era Foundation.
>Star Trek if they actually followed up the consequences of what cheap and easy acceleration to and beyond lightspeed could fucking do.
>Homeworld

Not to mention that one of the crucial flaws in it is that it assumes that humanity is the only intelligence in the Galaxy. Granted, a Seldon living in the 40kverse is unlikely to make that assumption, but that makes trying to make macrohistorical predictions enormously more difficult.

>Just about anything.
Not Mass Effect, Starcraft, Gundam, or Battletech.

>You mean like smashing a planet into another planet kind of way?

Understatement. More firing multiple planets at FTL in another galaxy so that they shatter a third simply by passing by and this is actually fairly low tier.

>or fight in a warpless battlefield
Funny thing about that.

Based on my reading of Ork fluff, their 'WAAAGH! field' (read: things work according to Ork beliefs) is generated by the mere presence of Orks. In theory, every time they get cut off from the Warp (like when they're fighting Tyranids), their WAAAGH! field should stop working. But it doesn't.

So they might be generating their own 'Ork WAAAGH! Warp' wherever they go... even to a warp-less battlefield.

>If chaos was that omnipresent and instantly devastating there would be no setting in 40k at all, just the Chaos Gods playing poker
Let's be honest here: Given the relative 'age' of the naturally forming gods in the Warp (Gork and Mork being the oldest, followed by Khorne as the first Chaos God, and Slaanesh being the youngest [not counting Ynead anyway]), it'd probably end up with the big 3 war gods just beating the shit out of the other 3 Chaos gods (and Malal/Malice) and having an eternal brawl between the 3 of them with the occasional booze break.

>If chaos was that omnipresent and instantly devastating there would be no setting in 40k at all, just the Chaos Gods playing poker

Duh...?

Even a single chaos god doesn't have a collective objective that it wants,the chaos gods literally lose battles for kicks. any race that entered 40k would be subject to warp fuckery unless we assume their "souls" are not the same as 40k souls. (humans in 40k would have to be fundamentally different from other humans) Unfortunately even inanimate objects can get "souls" eventually in 40k.

And furthermore I didnt say there weren't races that could take 40k. They just have to be immune to the effects of the warp. Ie robots or stuff with extreme willpower.

EVE Online has about parity in weapons tech from what I've seen, but the two things that might make them scary to 40K is the fact that they're all immortal pilots and can build entire fleets from asteroids in very, very short amounts of time. Not quite to SupCom standard, but still.