Orcs: a race entirely comprised of ugly hulking monsters, bred for battle

>orcs: a race entirely comprised of ugly hulking monsters, bred for battle
>lizardmen: a race entirely comprised of ugly hulking monsters, bred for battle, BUT they're lizards!!!!
Justify this.

orcs are chaotic evil
lizardmen are lawful evil

Orcs are barbaric plain niggers, aggressively raiding towns and burning down villages.
Lizardmen are mysterious swamp niggers, living in seclusion and not bothering anyone else, unless an outsider shows up on their territory.

You just did.

lizards take the place of orcs in regions where orcs cannot thrive

due to convergent evolution, their proto-species developed to a similar end product despite different starting organisms

out-of-universe they give you a the same template for the different enemies

in-universe this means that barbaric violent green races are inevitable for any given region

>orcs: a race entirely comprised of ugly hulking monsters, bred for battle
No. Try again when you have a reference point other than Warcraft.

I have Orcs and Lizardmen fighting a near constant war for the swamps they both hail from, Lizards were there first but the Orcs need new grounds since the mountains are overrun with dwarves.

You can't just fight orcs for 20 levels. That why there's gnolls, and lizard men, and hobgoblins, and all that other shit that's basically the same

>it's another "NO SPLATS. TOLKIEN RACES ONLY. FINAL DESTINATION" thread
Yawn.

Wow, it's almost like those two monsters originated in two different unrelated settings, and then D&D grabbed every fantasy trope it legally could!

I don't think people should only play with Tolkien races, but I generally think there should be some sort of number limit on the amount of intelligent races running around. I don't really care if it's orcs or lizard men, but I don't really see the point in having both when they cover such similar roles

Hey, that looks like Gagagigo.

Gagagigo is lizard of justice.

Depends on setting.

Fuck ya Gagagigo

I haven't played yugioh in years. Is Gagagigo a deck archetype yet?

Orcs got robbed yo

The Orcs gods only respect strength in battle, and thus the orcs have come to be strong through trying to appease their gods. They bred themselves into being great at battle.

The Lizardfolk are the surviving remnants of the incredibly ancient serpentfolk civilization that artificially created them to be subservient guards and soldiers. They are great at battle due to inborn instincts and genetic modifications from the serpentfolk. Their current hunter gatherer lifestyle is all they are capable of without guidance from their ancient serpentfolk masters.

>ygo cards in the image

cmon dude pay attention

Warhammer?

But which race is the cia niggers?

Well, orcs would have more to them like the whole shamanesque aspect or nomadic tribal warriors, or maybe you go full evil route and their a collective group of murder machines that go around rampaging the lands. Anything that could make them interesting and more developed. Of course most people just think of them as dumb barbarians that you use as low to mid level mob enemies so then you have questions like this. So to answer your question, lack of imagination from both the players and modern day fantasy settings.

I guess the trick to fixing this is to carve out a niche for lizardpeople. How about they can breathe underwater, tend to hang out in swampy or oceanic areas with at least waist deep water, and are more likely to start harassment and ambush campains on invaders rather than marching on neighboring civilizations?
Now they are suddenly different to orcs, since orcs are more nomadic by nature, unlikely to bother with strategic retreat and wars of attrition, and are much louder.
The only limit to what they are is what you're willing to put into it.

Unfortunately no. Most of the newer gagagigo cards are just harder to summon vanilla beaters making the original arguably the best. He appears in a lot of spell and traps arts though.

Skaven, obviously.

I typically don't include both in the same setting

I dont like plain "muh ugly and stronk guys with wild culture". But I love comfy swamps and waters, also great fan of reptilias. That's enough for me.

That has been true since Tolkien created the things you retard.

In older editions of D&D, most of the monstrous humanoids actually occupied different difficulty tiers.

Kobolds and goblins represented the "less than 1HD tier", with kobolds getting a d4 HD and goblins getting a d6 HD or a d8-1 HD.

Orcs occupy the standard 1 HD tier. Hobgoblins get HD1+1, making them slightly tougher on average than orcs but otherwise very close.

Lizardmen, Gnolls, and Sahuagin occupy the 2HD tier; Gnolls tend to carry dangerous two-handed weapons, while Sahuagin can breathe underwater and swim fast, while Lizardmen often get natural weapons.

They all fill different humanoid mook niches in the mechanics sense. If you strip out the mechanics and leave only the fluff then sure, they're redundant, but they're different in D&D because they have different stat blocks. Even if you ignore the stat blocks, having different humanoid types allows you to vary the level of organization and tactical acumen amongst them.

Barbaric lizardmen were a mistake.

Lizardmen should always be an Atavistic lawfull evil empire from a terrifying continent far away

Except Tolkein orcs were basically just raped elves that were actually scrawny and gangly fucks that were generally just barely as tall or strong humans, and instead they're main advantage was numbers and being industrious as fuck. You seem to be mistaking Orcs for Uruks

Please come back after you learn to not mistake the shitty meme version of fantasy races we have now with Tolkein. Legolas and Gimli were exceptions to the norm of their races, not the codifiers, it's just that's what all the other hacks and fantasy writers chose to base their versions off of

>Even if you ignore the stat blocks, having different humanoid types allows you to vary the level of organization and tactical acumen amongst them.
Now I'm all for variety in monstrous people, but couldn't this be achieved even more easily by having, say, just lizardmen, with different cultures and groups that have differing access to training and equipment?

You could, but one of the things about using tropes and stereotypes in your game is that they're consistent and don't need quick explanation. Your players can see orcs and say "yes, orcs act this way". Introducing sub-tribes of orcs essentially creates a new GM gotcha every time, which can feel unfair.

Using an entirely new creature type that the PCs have not encountered before signals that these creatures may have new and unexpected behaviour.

...but that really doesn't describe Warcraft orcs. At all.

one of em has two dicks

if you have good taste anyways

>realizing all humanoid animal races are boring as fuck

Hurts dont it

this.

warcraft orcs are misunderstood noble savages

Lizardmen are sexier.

All races are boring if you don't put effort into them. Elves are boring and usually uninspired, Orcs are often just mindless brutes, cat people are just humans who go "meow" a lot.

It's not a quality inherent to animal races, but rather one inherent to any fantasy race when used and written by a hack who cares more for aesthetics than actual content and fluff. However by that same token, a good writer and world builder can make anything. Take Nier Automata. The robots and androids are both boring as fuck design wise, then the execution is fantastic and they are written like they're actually part of a real world and are indeed actual entities with a reason to exist in said world, rather than just boring shits meant to check off on the Fantasy Race Niche checklist

The only reason why animal races come across as much more boring is because furfags don't want any proper fantasy races and instead use them to fulfill and project a fetish or aesthetic appeal in the most lazy way, which is then exacerbated by the normies also trying to include them but since they lack even the drive of the furries they just put in almost no effort by just going "here, it's a Loony Tunes/Arthur character. See yah suckers", and because they don't put in the same effort they do in making their 8 unique snowflake elven subraces they just end up being pointless and having no purpose to exist at all.

In other words, it's not that the idea of animal-esque races suck by nature, it's just that no one wants to put in the effort of making them interesting, and tend to not even have the creative capacity to make races anymore interesting than making all elves into Legolas clones.

Honestly, the only setting g I've seen that gives both classic and beast races the same level of lore purpose and attention is TES, but sadly the newer games keep dumbing it all down and making the cool bits of lore more and more sidelined in favor of just making it more of a generic fantasy

>but couldn't this be achieved even more easily by having, say, just lizardmen, with different cultures and groups that have differing access to training and equipment?
it could be achieved even easier by having just humans.

all fictional races and civilizations are just reskinned humans with varying degrees of creativity

Mah niggas

>TES beast races

my fucking negro

>khajiit aren't just cat men, but also giant cats and housecats depending on the phase of the moons they are born under
>they fucking ride their battlecat brothers into war

KHAJIIT HAS WARES

Personally, I like how Argonians are basically roided up mutant lizards being bred and controlled by magical sapient ayy lmao trees, and that they can be roided up even more to be strong enough to invade Oblivion and take ground

Yeah the Hist is awesome too. personally I fluff the female argonian tits as hist-sap carriers

The akaviri snake-samurai have never shown up in game but their ~lore~ is neat.

Don't forget they once had a space program built around piling on top of eachother until they'd hit the moon