Have you ever rejected a character submission for one of your campaign?

Have you ever rejected a character submission for one of your campaign?

yes

Not really. If they were half as bad as some of the things I hear here I would, but I can't think of any examples that ever required more than a "yes, but detail X doesn't really fit"

One guy kept pushing and pushing to his edgelord and I eventually told him to piss off when he wanted a demon symbol on his face, to be overly freaky, and to be unable to percieve those weaker than him as more than a cloud.

Then he told me that I should "also" ban one of the other players from using a Joystealer class. I kicked him out, blocked him on Skype, and never bothered with him again after that.

No.

Good players = good characters. Vet the players properly and you don't need to worry about the characters.

Nope

Wait, so he wanted to magically make people "weaker" than him invisible to himself? How could you pass on an opportunity to fuck with someone like that?

no, but the closest i came was this one guy who wanted to play a straight up roman gladiator in a science fiction setting. ended up allowing it anyways. wasn't cringe or anything but his character just constantly felt out of place.

Why does that Zafara have such a weird tail?
Where are the spine spikes?

Fucking causuals in charge of art direction these days

Nope, I don't have friends who would be autistic enough to make one worthy of rejection

Only twice, both new guys.
One made a Mage in a game I said was low fantasy, but it's more that I explained "Magic" was passive and shit and he was basically going to be indistinguishable from a gypsie charlatan and he decided to withdraw it.

The other was a guy who wanted to carbon copy a historical figure.
Can't stand that shit in my games and said no, but he was weirdly insistent about it so I shut him down and kicked him out.

>but he was weirdly insistent about it so I shut him down and kicked him out.

Seems kinda savage but I imagine he was bein a real prick about it.

may i ask which historical figure he was copying?

Lu Bu
Admittedly I had to google but still.

>a character submission
What did they mean by this?

Shadowrun.

Guy wanted to play a Native American babe in her early twenties, who got kicked out of their special forces for being too badass.

The guy wanted her striking beauty to count as a Distinctive Style.

This is a world in which anyone with enough money can buy whatever looks they want. Being a hottie isn't enough to qualify for that. I told him he either needed a better reason, or needed to be so hot that it would inconvinience her (which is actually the point of the negative quality). He responded that anyone who's seen a gorgeous girl would remember her. I replied that I don't remember every gorgeous girl I've met (although in hindsight, how would I know?). I was mostly just thinking 'what sort of thirsty beta fuck is this guy that he remembers every detail of every hot girl hes ever met?'

Told him a couple other, minor things I can't remember. If he changed them, he was in. In my mind, I wasn't looking forward to this obvious manchild roleplaying a character that's supposed to be a charismatic hottie.

Dude didn't take it well. He called me an ass. I continued on stating this is just the way it is. He responded once, then never again.

This was the first time I'd ever had to reject a character. Since then, I've been even more cautious, especially if it's a fa/tg/uy playing a hot girl.

You know, you actually do sound like an ass.

He really dodged a bullet there, didn't he?

Yes. A genderfluid zebrakin. The game was an urban fantasy set in the waning years of the Cold War.

Playing a gypsie charlatan but with actual powers actually sounds really fun. I'm a little surprised he didn't roll with it.

Dude was keen on fireballs.
I told him that wouldn't be happening.
That was basically start and finish

Sound funny desu senpai

Had a player that wanted to be a 4th-wall breaker in a superhero setting. Everyone else wanted a WW1/Golden Age vibe, but he wanted to be NOT!Deadpool. His anti-hero 90's vibe clashed with the rest of the group, but I was willing to work with him on making it fit the 1910's.

His backstory was changed and he sent it to me for review. He was a super powered Hitler Youth that lived in the shadows of der führer and killed Juden and Gentile alike, raised to hate his society and all those in it. He fought with the Allies in an attempt to remove Germany until a stray bullet lodged in his brain and gave him his 4th-wall breaking psychic bullshit powers. In 1915.

A short history lesson later and his powers now included time travel and his mission was to kill Hitler in the first World War. The group decided that he was a bad fit.

'Gypsie' is a racial slur for the Romani.
Just putting it out there.

No one cares, sweetie.

It means that the players submit their character sheet/info/whatever to the DM for approval.
Could you really not work that out on your own from the context of the OP and the posts in the thread?

Not only do they call themselves Gypsies, but they are a horrible backwards people who thrive on theft, violence, and scams. There is a reason we use 'gypped' as a slang term for ripped off.

Well I'm a (one) and I care to not thoughtlessly litter my words with slurs, but go ahead and be dismissive of my ability to not be a shitter to people different to myself if it make you feel good.

> Not only do they call themselves Gypsies
Which is the same as black folk using nigger.
> but they are a horrible backwards people who thrive on theft, violence, and scams
Ah yes, some racism. How delightful.
> There is a reason we use 'gypped' as a slang term for ripped off.
No shit, that's also a rude thing to say.

Hell if I know why I ever bother pointing out that you shouldn't be garbage on this website but I keep doing.

Quit it, dont need no more of that.

I have done so but once. It relied on 3PP i pf that basically gave him 30ac and over 10 in reflex at level 1. And should scale up as he rose in level.
I forbid the primary offending feat and he made a new character.

>(which is actually the point of the negative quality)
the point of the negative quality is to have some trait about your character that is immediately distinguishable to anybody around you
everything from bizarre fashion choices to noticeable scars to an accent to hard-to-hide tattoos can be covered by it, so there's no reason why some form of striking beauty couldn't be used (beside being snowflakey).
>This is a world in which anyone with enough money can buy whatever looks they want
considering the quality specifically names fashion choices and tattoos, this is irrelevant.

of course, it'd be better to know WHY the character's appearance was distinctive besides just being 'pretty', beauty in the eye of the beholder and everything.
it'd also help with judging how easy they'd be able to notice at a glance and why they're noticed, some goth cutie with raven-black hair and pale skin probably being harder to notice in a crowd than the redhead bombshell, but both still standing out amongst their team-mates and both having notable features one could identify to the authorities after being spotted.
ultimately, though, your issue was just that they were making snowflake bullshit - and that's fine to dismiss a character on, but don't try to mask it as a rules issue or anything else.

I'm still trying to process the "racial slur" bit trying to figure out if y'all are actually a race.

Man, do I wish you would stop being such a pansy.

Kind of. One of my friends seems to only plays women, and while that bugs me, I don't cause a huge stir over it.
But once we were about to start a rogue trader game, and he presented me his character. The only problem was the picture he used to represent her: it was a cyberpunk picture of a woman in a bikini getting out of a car. I told him that he couldn't use it, he asked why, and we argued back and forth until I eventually said something along the lines of "it's inappropriate and pretty fucking retarded. Pick something that fits 40k."
It was really weird because he wasn't new to the setting. After I said that he picked a much more fitting picture, and we played without any problems.
Pic semi related: I can't find the original photo, but this is in a similar style.

Where'd you steal your computer from? I wanna call an ambulance and send them to save the person you stabbed for it.

>this retard has never seen a hive ganger before

By the Emperor.

>He responded that anyone who's seen a gorgeous girl would remember her. I replied that I don't remember every gorgeous girl I've met (although in hindsight, how would I know?).
That GM

Assuming you're serious about getting people to stop, directly confronting people on what you view as a wrong-doing for anything more serious then minor mistakes is a surefire way to get them to double down on it.

He was playing an upscale captain.
If he was playing hive-scum, I would've cared a lot less.

Because I could tell he was doing it in order to try and rag on the other player for playing something he felt was "wrong". That doesn't work on me.

Romanian here, romanis and romanians are two different things, and we fucking hate the gypsy bastards because they cause us problems because of people not realizing we're two completely different peoples.

Ah a classic. Mixblood of german and polish immegrants (job theives) and indian caravaneers (jobless theives) yelling at eachother in their crappy mud country over who is the true sons of rome (and pointing out, was only at the border of rome).

Yes, I was running a Requiem for Rome VtR game and someone submitted a Spartan warrior who's 'coffin' had floated across the sea to Japan where he learned the art of the samurai in 70 CE, nearly a millennia before their first instance in recorded history, before coming back to the Italian peninsula.

Why would you come to Veeky Forums if you get this upset over mild political incorrectness.

Especially since horoshimoot sells that imformation to everyone who'd hurt you with it. Even worse if youre shitposting because they'd take you seriously.

S A V A G E

I steer them towards something that's a good compromise between what i'd like to see and what they want to be. However. i had a, and i quote "cowboy who fell through a time portal" in a rather straightly played cyberpunk game. so i avoided that one entirely. he also was a brony. i have a longer story involving an injury keeping me from running from him, but that's a story for another day.

>Mixblood of german and polish immegrants

That's actually false.

Romanians are a mix of all sorts of immigrants, but the other half is hillbillies.